PDA

View Full Version : Kudos go out to Toby Rowland

cherokeebrewer
1/12/2014, 01:21 PM
I did not listen to the radio broadcast much this year, but watching the Sooner playback & sportstalk shows and such, it seems like he did a great job. Thanks Toby, you rock!

And please let Bob Barry RIP

Therealsouthsider
1/12/2014, 01:33 PM
...he does a good job but I still can't latch on to his personality or style...maybe it's the lack of chemistry between he and Merv

ss

bmjlr
1/13/2014, 12:46 PM
...he does a good job but I still can't latch on to his personality or style...maybe it's the lack of chemistry between he and Merv

ss

I agree. Maybe with time I will get used to it. I listen to a lot of games on the radio, as I do not have cable.

Widescreen
1/13/2014, 12:53 PM
I think he does a good job although I haven't listened to him a ton. I don't like the way he says "Touchdown Sooners!". He kind of spits out the "Sooners" like it leaves a bad taste in his mouth. Nit-picking, I know.

cherokeebrewer
1/13/2014, 01:06 PM
I didn't listen to the radio broadcasts enough to pick up on the interaction/chemistry between him and Merv to know how that was working out.

Salt City Sooner
1/13/2014, 01:11 PM
I think he does a good job although I haven't listened to him a ton. I don't like the way he says "Touchdown Sooners!". He kind of spits out the "Sooners" like it leaves a bad taste in his mouth. Nit-picking, I know.
That's actually one of the things that won me over w/ him (not necessarily the call itself, but the motivation behind it). He said that "Touchdown Oklahoma" was Bob's call, & that he didn't feel that he'd worked hard/long enough to use it. Classy gesture, IMO.

jkjsooner
1/13/2014, 02:05 PM
I haven't listened much but I did listen to the replay of the Sugar Bowl. I think he does a great job. We definitely know what's going on and he kind of offsets the folksy sound of Merv (which is fine) with a little more of a polished sound.

Then again, I'm not hung up on Bob Barry Sr. I'm too young to remember his first stint at OU but old enough to remember him as the voice of the Cowboys. It took me a long time to get over the fact that he was no John Brooks and that he was at OSU throughout my childhood.

I do love what he did for OU though and I would be all for having the press box named after him.

rock on sooner
1/13/2014, 07:26 PM
That's actually one of the things that won me over w/ him (not necessarily the call itself, but the motivation behind it). He said that "Touchdown Oklahoma" was Bob's call, & that he didn't feel that he'd worked hard/long enough to use it. Classy gesture, IMO.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I STILL miss "Jiminy Christmas!" and sticking the mike outside the
booth to pick up the crowd noise! Oooops, am I too old?...

SoonerMarkVA
1/13/2014, 07:51 PM
I haven't listened much but I did listen to the replay of the Sugar Bowl. I think he does a great job. We definitely know what's going on and he kind of offsets the folksy sound of Merv (which is fine) with a little more of a polished sound.

Then again, I'm not hung up on Bob Barry Sr. I'm too young to remember his first stint at OU but old enough to remember him as the voice of the Cowboys. It took me a long time to get over the fact that he was no John Brooks and that he was at OSU throughout my childhood.

I do love what he did for OU though and I would be all for having the press box named after him.

We must be about the same age. I never got him as the voice of the Cowboys out of my head. I know he was a Sooner fan, but that voice will always remind me of PBP for the Cowboys.

birddog
1/13/2014, 08:59 PM
We must be about the same age. I never got him as the voice of the Cowboys out of my head. I know he was a Sooner fan, but that voice will always remind me of PBP for the Cowboys.

Before my time. Who was president?

oudivesherpa
1/13/2014, 09:05 PM
I haven't lived inoklahoma in over 35 years, is John Brooks still around?

8timechamps
1/13/2014, 09:25 PM
I haven't lived inoklahoma in over 35 years, is John Brooks still around?

Yep, John is still around. I heard he was recently doing voice work for children's audio books.

John Brooks will always be "THE" voice of the Sooners for me, he was just a special guy during a special time in Sooner football (and I grew up with him being the voice of the Sooners).

I liked Bob Barry Sr., and I don't want to talk ill of the departed, but I couldn't listen to him in his later years...it was just too confusing.

I do like Toby Rowland, but only really listen to the coaches show and pre-game stuff anymore. What's funny is that my kid only know's Rowland as the voice of the Sooners (he's only really become a big fan over the past couple of years). So, I suppose he'll grow up thinking of Rowland the same way I think of Brooks.

oupride
1/13/2014, 10:28 PM
I think it was Carter.

birddog
1/13/2014, 11:12 PM
George Washington Carter. Ive read about that. :eddie:[hairGel]:mack:Tobys doing just fine really. I am way too lazy to coordinate the t.v. and radio to get the full effect but he seems to have info on the Sooners that I don hear anywhere else. Maybe he's just doing his job...dang it what a way to put bread on the table.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/13/2014, 11:38 PM
John Brooks will always be "THE" voice of the Sooners for me, he was just a special guy during a special time in Sooner football (and I grew up with him being the voice of the Sooners).

John Brooks and Mike Treps.

College Football radio defined.

SoCalBigRed
1/14/2014, 12:25 AM
I grew up with John Brooks and he was there for a LONG time. He's "The Voice" to me.

Though, I remember enough of BBSr to have fond memories also, he had a great voice and in his days... man he was exciting to listen to.

"He's at the 25, 20, 15, 10, 5... TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!"

rock on sooner
1/14/2014, 08:54 AM

College Football radio defined.

Yup!

jkjsooner
1/14/2014, 09:11 AM

Here you go.

In 1961, former University of Oklahoma head football coach Bud Wilkinson selected Barry to call OU basketball and football games. Barry continued as the University of Oklahoma's play-by-play announcer until 1972, when he began calling games for the University of Tulsa from 1973–1974, and Oklahoma State University from 1973 to 1990, before returning to OU in 1991.

As you can see, BBSr was at OSU for a long time so when he took over in 1991 for people my age (born 1971) he had been at OSU for our entire lives. It took a while to accept him as an OU guy.

Sooners78
1/14/2014, 12:32 PM
There is no happier childhood memory for me than hearing John Brooks count up and down by fives as Sims, Lott, King, and Overstreet ran down the field. The only televised games then were Texas, Nebraska, and the bowl game. The others we listened to Brooks and Treps on 1380 AM KSWO.

stoopified
1/14/2014, 01:00 PM

College Football radio defined.True dat

Pricetag
1/14/2014, 01:14 PM
John Brooks does the Union High School play by play here in Tulsa now.

Mjcpr
1/14/2014, 01:16 PM

Well, the next person is ****ed then.

picasso
1/14/2014, 01:52 PM
Brooks was great.

Was.

Salt City Sooner
1/14/2014, 05:22 PM
Well, the next person is ****ed then.
"Touchdown OU?" :D

nighttrain12
1/14/2014, 11:44 PM
I did not listen to the radio broadcast much this year, but watching the Sooner playback & sportstalk shows and such, it seems like he did a great job. Thanks Toby, you rock!

And please let Bob Barry RIP

I like him but he seems to call plays like turnover/scores/who penalty is against long before it is made official and he seems to have 'guessed' wrong way too frequently. Plus he likes to call games 'over' long before they are mathematically.

PLaw
1/16/2014, 07:40 PM
Yep, John is still around. I heard he was recently doing voice work for children's audio books.

I liked Bob Barry Sr., and I don't want to talk ill of the departed, but I couldn't listen to him in his later years...it was just too confusing.

I do like Toby Rowland, but only really listen to the coaches show and pre-game stuff anymore. What's funny is that my kid only know's Rowland as the voice of the Sooners (he's only really become a big fan over the past couple of years). So, I suppose he'll grow up thinking of Rowland the same way I think of Brooks.

Spot on, JB was the voice of the Sooners. Heard him on KLEA in SE NM most fall afternoons in the 70's.

Boomer

8timechamps
1/16/2014, 07:57 PM
Brooks was great.

Was.

Not so much anymore? I know it's high school, but I've heard some pretty good high school radio guys.

picasso
1/16/2014, 09:32 PM
Not so much anymore? I know it's high school, but I've heard some pretty good high school radio guys.

Hate to say that he just sounds old. I don't know what it is but I just don't think it would work these days.

PrideMom
1/17/2014, 10:37 AM
Toby Rowland is great! He is very quick witted, and fun to listen to. I like him because he tells it like it is. Merv Johnson is also very good, he will tell you who made the right blocks or the wrong moves, and you can tell he would have been a great head coach some place, but he stayed at Oklahoma. Merv was an assistant at Notre Dame, and Rudy (yes, the kid in the movie) was his baby sitter. I always have my head phone radio at the games (I know it is dorky, but I don't care) and listen to the radio at home with the TV on mute. You can learn a lot if you listen to a coach that KNOWS football, which is why I don't listen to the TV people.