PDA

View Full Version : Completely official!

rock on sooner
1/11/2014, 09:56 AM
I watched the Sugar Bowl on teevee, followed the SF thread, watched
the highlights, read The Road Warrior, listened to Espin talking heads,
read about it in the paper and, finally, watched the replay on ESPNU
yesterday. No DOUBT about it...Sooners beat Bama!!!!! Just waiting
for new tee shirt and hoodie to get here....

oupride
1/11/2014, 11:43 AM
You missed this
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/010214aaa.html

OffroadOUFan
1/11/2014, 12:07 PM
You missed this
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/010214aaa.html

My absolute favorite hairbrained quote:

The Tide failed to capitalize on a dominant third quarter performance before the Sooners clinched the outcome in the final period.

Dominant because it was the only quarter that Bama wasn't outscored? Even so, their performance in that quarter was a whopping, overwhelming dominance of 7 points to none.

BigTip
1/11/2014, 12:31 PM
Can't talk about that game enough. So I'll say this; the reason it was so exciting was that I felt the whole time that 'bama was going to "get it going" on the next set of downs. I felt that we were getting lucky that they weren't doing it yet. Even though there weren't any lucky for us plays really.
It wasn't until the game was over that I looked back and said that we just flat out beat them. A ball didn't bounce this way or that way to our favor, we beat them. We stopped them. We scored on long drives. In the end we looked like the better team.
(pushing enter button with a satisfied smile on my face as I re-savor the game results.)

rock on sooner
1/11/2014, 12:59 PM
Skimming through the Tide writeup pointed out something that I
think the rest of the SEC will take to heart...up tempo...fast pace.
Good chance the Tide will see a lot of that next year...and what is
really interesting is that OU didn't run that much up tempo...

AzianSooner
1/11/2014, 08:39 PM
so Lane Kiffin is AL next OC?

picasso
1/11/2014, 08:44 PM
Their fans claim they gave us tirnovers. Well, Yelton yes. That's it.

ouwasp
1/11/2014, 08:50 PM
you ought to go find the KSU Sugar Bowl thread on their scout board. Those cats were Boomer Soonering with the best of them, about 98% pro-OU. I checked out Penn St and Nebraska's Sugar Bowl thoughts as well, they were very favorable too, but not as much as K St.

That Thursday night, Oklahoma was America's Team.

Eielson
1/11/2014, 09:13 PM
Their fans claim they gave us tirnovers. Well, Yelton yes. That's it.

It's funny what happens when you pressure the QB.

oupride
1/11/2014, 10:04 PM
so Lane Kiffin is AL next OC?
The word is Kiffin was hired to tweek the O to more of up-tempo fast paced.

stoopified
1/11/2014, 11:47 PM
It's funny what happens when you pressure the QB.Exactly,worked in the ND game too

BigTip
1/12/2014, 09:24 AM
That Thursday night, Oklahoma was America's Team.

Hell yes. Everyone was tired of that SEC run. And the press that went with it.

sooneron
1/12/2014, 09:29 AM
The word is Kiffin was hired to tweek the O to more of up-tempo fast paced.

They hired the wrong guy.

AzianSooner
1/12/2014, 10:46 AM
They hired the wrong guy.

probably from disappointed in the result of Sugar bowl. After OU won, I literally can rewire plays after plays in my head and slept with a smile on my face.

Jacie
1/12/2014, 11:44 AM
On HLN this morning, a couple names their new baby Krimson Tyde . . .

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2014, 12:47 PM
Hell yes. Everyone was tired of that SEC run. And the press that went with it.

The media was all over the anti-SEC aspect as well. They are just a reflection of the audience.

soonergirlNeugene
1/12/2014, 03:35 PM
The media was all over the anti-SEC aspect as well. They are just a reflection of the audience.

While there were decidedly more anti-SEC articles than in previous years, the majority of stories they were pumping out still portrayed them as the unquestioned top conference etc etc. Just go back to the pregame and consider how much time/promotion they gave to OU compared w/ Bama. I also think there were more anti-SEC stories out there not b/c they were trying to reflect their audience - b/c really haven't we all been sick of this for YEARS now? No, they didn't all of a sudden decide to reflect their audience as much as they saw the writing on the wall for this bowl season. FSU was the heavy favorite thanks to several factors - dominating their ACC schedule, Winston's Heisman hype, also conversely Auburn's unlikely turnaround from 3-9 last year. If Bama's end of regulation FG had been good, I doubt FSU would have been such a heavy favorite.

But yeah, after the Sugar bowl, I think sportswriters all expected the SEC to go winless in the BCS. So suddenly writing anti-SEC articles is much more attractive. It throws some red meat to their audience, makes them look less biased, and improves their credibility in a postseason that saw undeniable evidence of a postseason slip in terms of the SEC mythology.

jkjsooner
1/12/2014, 05:54 PM
It drives me crazy at how everyone points out that the turnovers lead to 28 points as if they were all pick 6's or they gave us the ball within the 5. It does a disservice to our offense.

Sure we had the fumble/TD at the end and Sanchez's interception gave us good field position but the others gave us the ball in our own territory and the offense had to take it a long way to score.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2014, 08:57 PM
It drives me crazy at how everyone points out that the turnovers lead to 28 points as if they were all pick 6's or they gave us the ball within the 5. It does a disservice to our offense.

Sure we had the fumble/TD at the end and Sanchez's interception gave us good field position but the others gave us the ball in our own territory and the offense had to take it a long way to score.

Agree to some degree. For the most part, our D forced the TOs which is part of the game you try to win. The fumble by Yeldon was just bad luck - we didn't force it, but it wasn't a big mistake either as he wasn't being careless with the ball. Just one of those things that happens when lots of big bodies are moving at high speed in a confined space. Could happen to any team, but OUr guys still had to drive 65 yards to get the points. I wish the "points off turnovers" stats were only recorded if the offense gets the ball on the opponents side of the field, or something like that. But I guess it averages out in the long run. The last TD wasn't needed and skewed the stats more; the game was over the second Grissom recovered the fumble.

Jacie
1/12/2014, 09:08 PM
The point is when they weren't turning the ball over they were scoring, on drives of 65 yards or longer, in 4 or 5 plays. It seemed like when they were on they were unstoppable, despite having to punt the ball 4 times. You could say their offense and the OU defense played to a draw, the difference being the OU offense. They were good which is what made this win for OU so special.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2014, 09:21 PM
The point is when they weren't turning the ball over they were scoring, on drives of 65 yards or longer, in 4 or 5 plays. It seemed like when they were on they were unstoppable, despite having to punt the ball 4 times. You could say their offense and the OU defense played to a draw, the difference being the OU offense. They were good which is what made this win for OU so special.

I don't know, I guess I'd give OUr D the upper hand. 1 INT is worth more than giving up 2 TD passes. If a QB had a 2/1 TD/Int ration, he is not considered to be very good. I think the game was almost summarized in the Sanchez INT. Mike dialed up the perfect blitz and Sanchez looked like he *baited* McCarron into the throw. Cooper was the hot read and Sanchez appeared to be close enough to cover him and force a throw away. But instead, he held back and waited until McCarron committed to the throw before jumping the route. A freshman baiting a senior, Heisman runner-up. Maybe that's not really what happened, but it sure looked that way. But that's the big play our D forced that the Bama D never forced and we played with the lead the rest of the game after that.

Salt City Sooner
1/13/2014, 12:52 AM
Bama got drunk off their own success passing the ball. They had 40 pass plays (counting McCarron's "rushing" attempts) against 25 carries by their backs (14 of which went for at least 4 yards) totaling 172 yards. I strongly suspect that if they'd stuck to what they do best & had that ratio reversed by the end of the night, we'd have been in trouble.

I ain't gripin' though......:D