PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams 2013

OUmillenium
1/9/2014, 12:48 AM
How good were our special teams this year?

I thought it was great to be able to roll out a quality field goal kicker in big time situations. Honeycutt hit some big ones this year including the 47 yarder to tie Bama at 17 when it looked like the Crimson flow had gained momentum.

BTW that followed a quality kickoff return by Sr Roy Finch. Gonna miss him and Saunders returning kicks/punts.

Punting has been really solid as well.

We used to gripe about a lot of special teams play - not returning kick/punt for score, not consistently hitting 35-35 yd field goals, etc.

Great job coaches and players in making this a strength of the Sooners...it won some games this year.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/9/2014, 01:19 AM
Agree 100% I was never nervous when special teams were out there regardless of situation. Not always been the case and fun to watch.

Salt City Sooner
1/9/2014, 02:12 AM
Hunicutt's going to be a tough act to follow. He's been a quality kicker from the get go.

Widescreen
1/9/2014, 08:10 AM
It used to irritate me that we were OU and couldn't get a good field goal kicker. But I guess it happens to the best programs. Bama seems to be having some of those issues right now.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 08:16 AM
Hunicutt's going to be a tough act to follow. He's been a quality kicker from the get go.

Unless I'm missing something, we're lucky that he gets to follow himself - He was only a junior this year.

swardboy
1/9/2014, 08:19 AM
I used to groan when we scored knowing what was about to follow. This year's coverage was outstanding. Of course having a kicker who could regularly put it through the endzone was huge too.

Salt City Sooner
1/9/2014, 12:01 PM
Unless I'm missing something, we're lucky that he gets to follow himself - He was only a junior this year.

Oh, I know. I was referring to after next year, my bad for not being clear.

Bama seems to be having some of those issues right now.
Funny thing about that is that going into the Auburn game, he'd missed one FG on the season.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 01:45 PM
Kicker's a position that you don't realize how important it is until you have one that sucks. Probably throw punter in there to some extent also.

mainline13
1/9/2014, 07:02 PM
I used to groan when we scored knowing what was about to follow. This year's coverage was outstanding. Of course having a kicker who could regularly put it through the endzone was huge too.

You do know that for several years, kickoffs were from the 30, right? I'm not saying that our guy hasn't been great, I'm just saying he's 5 yards closer than they guys were a couple of years ago. As is the coverage team.