PDA

View Full Version : Final push for the 2014 class

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:22 PM
With the commit from Joseph Paul tonight (and if my numbers are accurate, which I believe they are), the Sooners have 7 remaining available scholarships. There are at least 7 guys out there that haven't committed (with serious OU interest), but here are the guys I think may close out the class (in no particular order)

DB/WR Michiah Quick
DB Steven Parker ​- COMMITTED TO OU
DE Deondre Clark
CB Tee Shepard - Off the board/ Non-qualifier, will go JUCO another year.
DT Courtney Garnett ​- COMMITTED TO OU
OT Kenyon Frison
OLB Jonathan Thomas - Off the board/OU No longer recruiting.

I doubt I'll guess them all correctly (contrary to Boulder79's confidence), and it's possible that Stoops & Co. may not use all 7 remaining scholarships, but I think it'll be close.

SoonerofAlabama
1/8/2014, 09:28 PM
Did Kenyon Frison ever decommit from Utah?

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:30 PM
Did Kenyon Frison ever decommit from Utah?

I don't think he has, but I'm sure the Utah coaches are very aware it's a "soft verbal". Kinda like Garnett's verbal to Texas and Deondre Clark's verbal to LSU.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 10:01 PM
You don't have much hope for Adoree' Jackson?

SoonerofAlabama
1/8/2014, 11:48 PM
What ever happened to Patrick Au?

IronHorseSooner
1/9/2014, 07:25 AM
Here is what I am tracking, but I may be wrong:

QB: 5 (Knight, Bell, K. Thompson, Thomas, Hansen)
RB: 7 (Ford, Ross, Smith, Mixon, Perine, Ripkowski, Flowers)
TE: 4 (McNamara, Grant, Ilajana, Meier)
OL: 16 (T. Thompson, Williams, Shead, Evans, Kasitati, Darlington, St. John, Savage, Farniok, Feo, Curtis, Paul, Daimler, Marrs, Alvarez, Todd)
WR: 11 (Shepard, Neal, Woods, Franks, Smallwood, Young, Bennett, Mead, Andrews, Todd, Cavil)

Offense: 43

DT: 6 (Phillips, Wade, Russell, Peterson, Walker, Romar)
DE: 7 (Ndulue, Dimon, Tapper, Grissom, Orso, Glenn, Favors)
DE/LB (Spinner): 3 (Lindley, Onuoha, Ward)
LB: 9 (Striker, Alexander, Shannon, Okorokwo, Bond, Reed, Franklin, Tay Evans, Bolton)
DB: 13 (Sanchez, Wilson, Hayes, Johnson, Byrd, Thomas, Moore, Taylor, Brooks, Austin, Green, Windham, McQuinnie)
K/P: 2 (Hunnicutt, Barnett)

Defense & STs: 40

Total: 83

Am I not counting right?

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 03:48 PM
You don't have much hope for Adoree' Jackson?

I know we're in his top 6, but with so many DBs on the list, I'm not sure he will factor into the class. Of course, if he wants in, I'm sure they will take him.

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 03:49 PM
Here is what I am tracking, but I may be wrong:

QB: 5 (Knight, Bell, K. Thompson, Thomas, Hansen)
RB: 7 (Ford, Ross, Smith, Mixon, Perine, Ripkowski, Flowers)
TE: 4 (McNamara, Grant, Ilajana, Meier)
OL: 16 (T. Thompson, Williams, Shead, Evans, Kasitati, Darlington, St. John, Savage, Farniok, Feo, Curtis, Paul, Daimler, Marrs, Alvarez, Todd)
WR: 11 (Shepard, Neal, Woods, Franks, Smallwood, Young, Bennett, Mead, Andrews, Todd, Cavil)

Offense: 43

DT: 6 (Phillips, Wade, Russell, Peterson, Walker, Romar)
DE: 7 (Ndulue, Dimon, Tapper, Grissom, Orso, Glenn, Favors)
DE/LB (Spinner): 3 (Lindley, Onuoha, Ward)
LB: 9 (Striker, Alexander, Shannon, Okorokwo, Bond, Reed, Franklin, Tay Evans, Bolton)
DB: 13 (Sanchez, Wilson, Hayes, Johnson, Byrd, Thomas, Moore, Taylor, Brooks, Austin, Green, Windham, McQuinnie)
K/P: 2 (Hunnicutt, Barnett)

Defense & STs: 40

Total: 83

Am I not counting right?

At the top of this board (recruiting), there is a 'sticky' post that has the scholarship breakdown. Take a look at that.

swardboy
1/10/2014, 09:29 AM
I don't see Caleb Gastulem (LB) on either list.

landrun
1/10/2014, 12:46 PM
With the commit from Joseph Paul tonight (and if my numbers are accurate, which I believe they are), the Sooners have 7 remaining available scholarships. There are at least 7 guys out there that haven't committed (with serious OU interest), but here are the guys I think may close out the class (in no particular order)

DB/WR Michiah Quick
DB Steven Parker
DE Deondre Clark
CB Tee Shepard
DT Courtney Garnett
OT Kenyon Frison
OLB Jonathan Thomas

I doubt I'll guess them all correctly (contrary to Boulder79's confidence), and it's possible that Stoops & Co. may not use all 7 remaining scholarships, but I think it'll be close.

What have you heard about Nathan Starks?
247sports says he still loves OU and is predicting he'll go to OU over UCLA by an 83% to 6% margin on their 'Crystal Ball' predictor thingy. :)

Ruf/Nek7
1/10/2014, 12:49 PM
What have you heard about Nathan Starks?
247sports says he still loves OU and is predicting he'll go to OU over UCLA by an 83% to 6% margin on their 'Crystal Ball' predictor thingy. :)

Nathan Starks has committed to UCLA already. He did so following the commitment of Mixon to OU.

Ruf/Nek7
1/10/2014, 12:52 PM

DB/WR Michiah Quick
DB Steven Parker
DE Deondre Clark
CB Tee Shepard
DT Courtney Garnett
OT Kenyon Frison
OLB Jonathan Thomas

Jonathan Thomas and OU have gone separate ways. I don't know who fills that vacancy but it won't be him.

landrun
1/10/2014, 01:40 PM
Nathan Starks has committed to UCLA already. He did so following the commitment of Mixon to OU.

Thanks. I remember that now that you mention it. :dispirited:

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2014, 02:16 PM
I;m just glad to see ONLY 2 kickers on scholarship...unlike the one year we had 5 :excitement:

picasso
1/10/2014, 03:10 PM
I;m just glad to see ONLY 2 kickers on scholarship...unlike the one year we had 5 :excitement:

Yeah but remember that time we ran all five out for a punt?
Diabolical.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 07:39 PM
Jonathan Thomas and OU have gone separate ways. I don't know who fills that vacancy but it won't be him.

Okay, I double checked with a couple of people to get the scoop, and you're correct.

I haven't talked to the kid, so I am only going off what I was told, but apparently grades are a huge concern for anyone/everyone recruiting Thomas, and there's a better-than-likely chance he will go the JUCO route.

Too bad, after missing on Williams, I was hoping for two more LBs. Looks like Clark is the lone remaining (serious) target at LB now. I suspect the focus will be put on DBs after that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2014, 07:58 PM
At linebacker I'd like to see us take a long look at this guy -> http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-John-Porchivina-142449

Also, a lot of horns think Garnett isn't going to qualify

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 08:06 PM
At linebacker I'd like to see us take a long look at this guy -> http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-John-Porchivina-142449

Also, a lot of horns think Garnett isn't going to qualify

I've seen Porchivina's name, but don't think the Sooners looked at him too hard.

From what I've learned, Garnett should be fine. There are a couple of academic issues, but he is on track to have everything sorted out by the fall. I think a lot of horns fan's went sour on him the minute he decommitted. They were in love with Joseph Paul too, until OU landed him...then he was just an "overweight" waste.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2014, 08:47 PM
I've seen Porchivina's name, but don't think the Sooners looked at him too hard.

From what I've learned, Garnett should be fine. There are a couple of academic issues, but he is on track to have everything sorted out by the fall. I think a lot of horns fan's went sour on him the minute he decommitted. They were in love with Joseph Paul too, until OU landed him...then he was just an "overweight" waste.

There is just something funny with california linebackers. They tend to blossom in college. This kid has been practically begging the cal guys to recruit him. I'm just curious if he fits the bobby wagner mold

Widescreen
1/10/2014, 08:53 PM
Did Pasha Jackson blossom? I felt bad for him because we went pretty much with the nickel and he was basically sidelined.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2014, 10:39 PM
Did Pasha Jackson blossom? I felt bad for him because we went pretty much with the nickel and he was basically sidelined.

I think he was a qualifier out of high school (his dad was a college professor and he is a doctor now). Aaron Rodgers was another one who had zero offers out of high school (discount double check).

Collier11
1/10/2014, 10:51 PM
I hear that Mixon is recruiting Jackson hard on Twitter, Mixon may become a team MVP before he hits the field

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 12:03 AM
I hear that Mixon is recruiting Jackson hard on Twitter, Mixon may become a team MVP before he hits the field

He's recruiting anyone/everyone that will listen. He recruited Curtiss hard at the AAA game, and he committed, then he started in on Paul and Ganrett (after Garnett decommitted from Texas). He's beast at recruiting.

sooneron
1/11/2014, 09:47 AM
As long as Mixon doesn't write a "I am a proud and committed Sooner" letter publicly, I'm fine with him. :D

Therealsouthsider
1/11/2014, 07:38 PM
...we will get safety S Parker...mark it down, pencil it in or whatever

ss

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 07:53 PM
...we will get safety S Parker...mark it down, pencil it in or whatever

ss

Take it to the bank! :)

Agreed. I think Parker has been ours to lose for a long time. If his parents hadn't made him take his official visits, I'm not sure he wouldn't already be a Sooner. There was a brief period of time (right after his official visit) that A&M was in his ear, but I think that passed pretty quickly. Also, I think OSU has been on his "list" out of respect (for the coaches) only, they've never really been in the hunt.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2014, 08:06 PM
Take it to the bank! :)

Agreed. I think Parker has been ours to lose for a long time. If his parents hadn't made him take his official visits, I'm not sure he wouldn't already be a Sooner. There was a brief period of time (right after his official visit) that A&M was in his ear, but I think that passed pretty quickly. Also, I think OSU has been on his "list" out of respect (for the coaches) only, they've never really been in the hunt.

Is this another money-back guarantee?

:D

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 08:13 PM
Is this another money-back guarantee?

:D

Same one*. Just make sure you read the fine print.

*I, in no way, shape or form, will provide monetary compensation to any/everyone on this board for any reason whatsoever. And, I'm always correct about everything I post, even if I'm not.

Therealsouthsider
1/11/2014, 11:26 PM
...8x....who really excites you about our current commits, anyone who sticks out as a true impact player or surprise ?

ss

8timechamps
1/12/2014, 02:57 PM
...8x....who really excites you about our current commits, anyone who sticks out as a true impact player or surprise ?

ss

Of the current committs, the guys I think we will see early are:

RB Joe Mixon (for all the obvious reasons)
LB Devante Bond (He's a JUCO kid with 3 years to play 2, and is a faster/bigger version of Striker...could be really exciting to have him on the opposite edge).
WR Dallis Todd (In the mold of Kenny Stills, should see time as a true freshman)
RB Samaje Perine (This kid is huge, and smart beyond his age...he's good enough to split time in the backfield with Ford/Mixon/Ross).
WR Mark Andrews (Still think he could move to TE, but I believe he'll get a chance at WR early....very gifted player)
TE Isaac Ijalana (In line TE, will replace Green in some key blocking roles)

Surprises (that may, or may not see time as freshmen)

DB Tito Windham (Think a slightly taller Roy Finch, on defense. Very underrated player, that will be known nationally before his time is up at OU)
TE Carson Meier (The smartest kid in this class, he should be able to earn time early as he shouldn't have any issues learning the playbook/his role)
DE Dwayne Orso (VERY, VERY similar to Charles Tapper coming out of high school. Unbelievable strength for a kid that's barely played football)
OLB Curtis Bolton (He's played just about every position in the front 7 in high school. Violent hitter, with size).

Of the guys still being targeted (that I think we get):

DB Tee Shepard (if he commits, he'll be the best overall athlete of this class. JUCO kid with offers from just about everywhere).
DB/WR Michiah Quick (Believed to be a package deal with Shepard, he's the best skill player on the west coast).

So many guys to be excited about in this class, but I think next year is going to be even better. We continue to find solid skill players, and now that Mike Stoops is back (and Kish), our recruits on defense are absolutely better.

Bedenbaugh is one of the hardest working O-line coaches in the country, and Montgomery has so many connections in the southeast, the future of the OL/DL looks really good too.

SoonerorLater
1/12/2014, 03:47 PM
Question. Is there anybody out on the horizon even next year that we have a shot at that looks to be a truly dominant NT? I'm talking about a Tony Casillas type guy that requires constant double teams. Or was the 3-4 look just a stop gap measure?

Therealsouthsider
1/12/2014, 10:12 PM
Question. Is there anybody out on the horizon even next year that we have a shot at that looks to be a truly dominant NT? I'm talking about a Tony Casillas type guy that requires constant double teams. Or was the 3-4 look just a stop gap measure?

...I thought Jordan Phillips was coming along quite nicely til the back issue...if he can come back 100% he might be the answer

ss

8timechamps
1/12/2014, 11:12 PM

I honestly think that guy is already on the team (if not Phillips, keep an eye on Romar). However, there is a stud in next year's class; Tim Settle. He's ranked as the #1 or #2 overall player on a couple services already. He's a DT from Virginia. Montgomery has been in touch and made an offer, but it's going to be an uphill climb to pull him to Oklahoma. Before it's said and done, he'll have offers from most of the schools in the country, so it's going to come down to relationships and winning. There are a couple of other guys that are similar in next year's class, but not much to tell as far as OU's recruiting goes.

Collier11
1/13/2014, 12:21 AM
Walker, already on the roster. I keep hearing great things about him

8timechamps
1/13/2014, 04:29 PM
Walker, already on the roster. I keep hearing great things about him

You're correct, I wrote Romar, but I meant Walker. Walker is the kid that the coaches/players raved about during bowl practice.

cvsooner
1/13/2014, 06:52 PM
Hopefully we can hang on to Bedenbaugh/Montgomery for a while.

Ruf/Nek7
1/14/2014, 01:16 PM
Another update for the list. Tee Shepard has announced that he will be attending a JUCO in California for the next year and is hoping to become a December grad. A couple of names to replace Tee, many may already be familiar with, are:
1. Juwan Dowels 3* per Rivals. (This too may be a grade issue)
5'10 160 Florida.

2. Kendall Randolph 4* per Rivals.
5'11 175 Florida.

3. Cornelius Floyd 3* per Rivals
6'0 170 4.48 40 Florida

One thing is evident, OU is looking to hit up Florida for some other options. Keep in mind that Micah Quick is listed as an athlete but can play both Corner or WR. At this point, OU coaches may prefer he play on defense. Either way, I don't see there being any issues for OU filling the vacancy of Tee Shepard.

Widescreen
1/14/2014, 01:25 PM
That Shepard kid is having some kind of weird college career. Wouldn't surprise me to see him declare the draft soon, go undrafted, not become an UDFA and then end up working at Wendy's. I hope not.

Salt City Sooner
1/14/2014, 05:21 PM
That Shepard kid is having some kind of weird college career. Wouldn't surprise me to see him declare the draft soon, go undrafted, not become an UDFA and then end up working at Wendy's. I hope not.
Smoke Patterson 2.0 to this point. Hope it turns out different.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 06:16 PM

No kidding. This is the second circus he's been through, only to end back up in a JUCO program...and OU has been part of both of them.

Sounds like he's still going to have two to play two, so we'll see him again next year.

NOVSooner
1/15/2014, 07:10 AM
8x, do you see any of these guys taking the role of Millard or having the same potential?

Ruf/Nek7
1/15/2014, 10:40 AM
Dimitri Flowers is the next Millard Fat Back. I don't think he is or will be at the skill level of Millard but a solid athlete nonetheless. A buddy of mine coached him in a select baseball league and said he is very coachable and of great character. I see nothing but good things in this kids future.

Breadburner
1/15/2014, 12:58 PM
8x, do you see any of these guys taking the role of Millard or having the same potential?

Samje Perine

8timechamps
1/15/2014, 05:51 PM

As mentioned, Dimitri Flowers is the guy that's expected to take on that role eventually. I believe that Aaron Ripkowski will still be the #1 option there in 2014.

I think Perine has the body type, but he wants to be a true running back, and that's what we recruited him to play. I thought for a long time he would take over Millard's role, and he still may, but after we got the Flowers commit, it told me OU wants Perine running the ball.

Ruf/Nek7
1/16/2014, 07:37 AM
As mentioned, Dimitri Flowers is the guy that's expected to take on that role eventually. I believe that Aaron Ripkowski will still be the #1 option there in 2014.

I think Perine has the body type, but he wants to be a true running back, and that's what we recruited him to play. I thought for a long time he would take over Millard's role, and he still may, but after we got the Flowers commit, it told me OU wants Perine running the ball.

I agree about Perine. He is a hefty dude. I could see him being a short yardage/goal line type back as well. Ripkowski showed tremendous progress as a blocker, he is just not the run/catch threat Millard was. Perine and Flowers are more likely to pose those threats.

SoonerofAlabama
1/19/2014, 07:21 PM
Kenyon Frison just uncommitted from Utah after the Arizona State visit. He's supposed to decide after the Nebraska visit next week.

8timechamps
1/21/2014, 06:11 PM
Sounds like Miciah Quick's visit to USC last weekend went okay, but didn't really blow him away. Several recruits that visited USC with Quick said they think he's OU bound. Quick still has one more official (UCLA next weekend), and it's a big one...but, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with OU's standing here.

Still think the Sooners land Quick, Parker, Clark, Frison and Garnett to close the class.

IronHorseSooner
1/22/2014, 03:16 AM
I concur that we will land Quick, Parker, Clark, Frison, and Garnett. Since it looks like Glenn will be an academic casualty, that opens up the spot for Garnett. With Kendal Thompson tranferring with the Grad School option, that opens up a spot for Quick. The way I see it here is how the others go. Please feel free to opine:

Parker: Unless A&M pulls something funny, he comes here. In the secondary, I think this means that Brooks might be the next to transfer. Between injuries and position switches, he might look elsewhere. I believe that he wants to be an RB, and with our new guys, I just don't see it happening. Also, with Windham coming, he is basically the same player.

Clark: I think his Mom has a big play in this, and he saw this new defense and just how fun it can be. I think that either Okorokwo leaves due to playing time and the new faces coming, or it means that, unfortunately, CJ Ward's medical condition is not good.

Frison: It is either us or ASU, plain and simple. I cannot see him re-committing to a school that he just de-committed. He knows we need a big man, and his is literally that. If he comes, I think that means Sam Grant would leave. He has been recruited over (Ilajana and Meier), and with Frison coming and Daimler from last year, the future at Tackle is there. Much like Brooks, injuries and position changes would facilitate this.

Just my two cents.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/22/2014, 09:34 AM
According to the Times Picayune, Garnett is visiting Tennessee this weekend and will make his decision after that.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 06:47 PM
I concur that we will land Quick, Parker, Clark, Frison, and Garnett. Since it looks like Glenn will be an academic casualty, that opens up the spot for Garnett. With Kendal Thompson tranferring with the Grad School option, that opens up a spot for Quick. The way I see it here is how the others go. Please feel free to opine:

Parker: Unless A&M pulls something funny, he comes here. In the secondary, I think this means that Brooks might be the next to transfer. Between injuries and position switches, he might look elsewhere. I believe that he wants to be an RB, and with our new guys, I just don't see it happening. Also, with Windham coming, he is basically the same player.

Clark: I think his Mom has a big play in this, and he saw this new defense and just how fun it can be. I think that either Okorokwo leaves due to playing time and the new faces coming, or it means that, unfortunately, CJ Ward's medical condition is not good.

Frison: It is either us or ASU, plain and simple. I cannot see him re-committing to a school that he just de-committed. He knows we need a big man, and his is literally that. If he comes, I think that means Sam Grant would leave. He has been recruited over (Ilajana and Meier), and with Frison coming and Daimler from last year, the future at Tackle is there. Much like Brooks, injuries and position changes would facilitate this.

Just my two cents.

I'd be really surprised if Parker doesn't end up a Sooner. A&M is working every angle to get him (Sumlin visited on Monday night), but I think the writing is on the wall. A&M just renewed interest in a 3 star safety, and scheduled a visit next weekend (or maybe the week after). So, while I think they will continue to battle, I think they know their chances aren't good.

Clark is the most interesting recruit left on the board for OU. Les Miles is making a final in-home visit tonight or tomorrow night, and then it's up to Clark to decide. He is visiting ASU next weekend, but I think that is only a courtesy visit (for Jackie Shipp). I agree that Mom is the biggest factor in this, and ultimately, I think she wants Dre close, so I think that, combined with his growing interest in OU's defense, will lead to Clark being a Sooner.

Everything is pointing toward Quick being a Sooner, but he does have one more visit (next weekend) to UCLA, and that's probably the biggest hurdle left for the Sooners. I still think he ends up at OU.

I completely agree with your comments on Frison. I think his Nebraska visit (next weekend) is a formality, and his "interest" in Utah is just out of respect. It's down to ASU and OU. Could go either way.

As for transfers, things could get interesting. We are very heavy at DE and DB. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer from either group. From what I've heard, Okorokwo has a bright future, but I'm not sure he will see much playing time anytime soon. We'll see how DJ Ward performs in the Spring/Summer. He has so much talent, but he's been out of the game for going on 3 years. If he can knock the rust off, I think he can be a contributor in 2014, which could lead Oko to transfer. Brooks is just kinda "there", he hasn't separated himself as a DB or RB, and like you said, there's little chance he'll break the RB depth chart. I'm not sure he's good enough a DB to ever see much (if any) time. A transfer there wouldn't surprise me either.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 06:49 PM
According to the Times Picayune, Garnett is visiting Tennessee this weekend and will make his decision after that.

Yep, he's supposed to announce prior to signing day, so if he announces next week that would fit into what I'm thinking. He takes his visit to Tennessee, then commits sometime around mid-week. I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't commit to OU in the next 7-10 days.

Curly Bill
1/22/2014, 07:20 PM
Yep, he's supposed to announce prior to signing day, so if he announces next week that would fit into what I'm thinking. He takes his visit to Tennessee, then commits sometime around mid-week. I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't commit to OU in the next 7-10 days.

But I'm telling ya, they've got the checkbooks out up there, so Tennessee is looking skeery.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 08:58 PM
But I'm telling ya, they've got the checkbooks out up there, so Tennessee is looking skeery.

I'd be more worried if it were Ole Miss. :O

Curly Bill
1/22/2014, 09:17 PM
I'd be more worried if it were Ole Miss. :O

Yeah, them too!

8timechamps
1/23/2014, 07:16 PM
Deondre Clark has an in-home visit with Les Miles tonight. Then Clark takes an official to LSU this weekend. Still has a visit set for ASU the following weekend, so there's a couple of bullets to dodge, but I still like OU.

Mjcpr
1/23/2014, 07:39 PM
I would worry....isn't LSU where he wants/wanted to go and OU is what mom wants?

8timechamps
1/23/2014, 09:20 PM
I would worry....isn't LSU where he wants/wanted to go and OU is what mom wants?

No question LSU is the biggest threat to OU, and he was (and to my knowledge, still is) verbally committed to LSU. However, things have drastically changed in the past two months. OU went from no communication with Clark to a "strong" relationship between Montgomery and Clark. He's also been quoted as saying he's "very excited" about OU's defensive scheme. His mom has always been a strong Sooner lean, but when Shipp left, the communication stopped. Now, she has developed a relationship with Stoops and Montgomery, and is very vocal about which school she prefers.

Ultimately, I think mom wins out (and I think it's safe to say Deondre has bought in to OU too). After Stevie went off to OSU and had some issues, I think she wants Dre close. At first, it seemed like mom was the only one that liked OU, but that has changed, and Deondre has OU right with LSU.

Then there's the position angle that Stoops is selling. Miles is recruiting Clark as a true DE, whereas Stoops wants him in the hybrid DE/OLB role. I think he'd fit better in the 3-4, and I think he knows that.

You never know though, he could just decide he wants to be at LSU. I don't think we'll know until NSD.

8timechamps
1/26/2014, 09:48 PM
Couple of notes from the weekend:

Deondre Clark had a "great" visit to LSU. Since Miles did an in-home with the Clark's on Thursday, followed by an official visit to LSU, he could be really tough to flip (at least in the next few days). I still think the Sooners stand a good shot at him. But, I'll be tight.

Courtney Garnett, not yet a Sooner commit, addressed rumors that he decommitted from Texas because he wouldn't qualify. He tweeted his GPA and ACT scores to shut up the doubters. He will be qualified to attend wherever he commits. I feel like he's about 95% OU right now.

As expected, Sooner DT commit Brandon Glenn too an official visit to a JUCO over the weekend. Looks like there is a really good chance he won't qualify and may double sign to ensure a landing spot. I still believe he will be a Sooner (if OU is interested) in a couple of years.

SoonerofAlabama
1/27/2014, 01:37 PM
Deondre Clark will be at the Bedlam Game tonight.

Ruf/Nek7
1/27/2014, 02:53 PM

Actually, he always wanted OU until we let the Shipp set sail then it became LSU. It is just a matter of Jerry M establishing a great relationship with Clark to seal the deal.

JiminyChristmas
1/27/2014, 11:52 PM
Win a basketball game, lose a football recruit?

Someone at the game said Clark family wasn't happy about some of the comments to Stevie about recent troubles. Not happy with OU fans.

Collier11
1/28/2014, 12:03 AM
Tell me a kid didn't get dogged for being suspended twice in half a season by his biggest rival? Good story

picasso
1/28/2014, 12:04 AM
Win a basketball game, lose a football recruit?

Someone at the game said Clark family wasn't happy about some of the comments to Stevie about recent troubles. Not happy with OU fans.
The heck did they expect?

picasso
1/28/2014, 12:04 AM
Tell me a kid didn't get dogged for being suspended twice in half a season by his biggest rival? Good story

Heh heh.

PalmBeachSooner
1/28/2014, 12:53 PM

Freakin' Tennessee already has 72 commits. How many more can they take?

Ruf/Nek7
1/28/2014, 12:58 PM
My opinion on Clark has changed after last nights little tantrum. That was a loaded tweet by him, knowing that this is what happens. And not just to rival players but opposing players of ANY TEAM!!!! Grow up and best of luck in Baton Rouge!

oupride
1/28/2014, 01:08 PM
My opinion on Clark has changed after last nights little tantrum. That was a loaded tweet by him, knowing that this is what happens. And not just to rival players but opposing players of ANY TEAM!!!! Grow up and best of luck in Baton Rouge!
Wow, thanks for the info.

Ruf/Nek7
1/28/2014, 01:21 PM
Wow, thanks for the info.
I know most will disagree with me, and that is fine. I just do not appreciate the dog and pony show that was put on over harmless fun. I mean seriously, what did they expect? Ignore the color orange because his brother is a OU recruit? Not a chance in hell!

REDREX
1/28/2014, 01:38 PM
I would hate to think a Basketball game cost us a good Football player------Who cares about Basketball

cherokeebrewer
1/28/2014, 01:42 PM
I know most will disagree with me

I don't! I found his entire act to be downright insulting...

Salt City Sooner
1/28/2014, 02:16 PM
Thing is, if thinks the OU fanbase is so terrible, he ain't seen NOTHIN' yet until he gets to Baton Rouge. I think that's the one thing that OU & UT fans (as well as any other team in the SEC) can agree on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/28/2014, 02:24 PM
I don't know what was said, but honestly I was trying to remember that last non-bench guy the I've seen foul out with that much time left on the clock. I had no idea that he was even related to a recruit and I was thinking "what an undisciplined idiot".

picasso
1/28/2014, 02:27 PM
I don't know what was said, but honestly I was trying to remember that last non-bench guy the I've seen foul out with that much time left on the clock. I had no idea that he was even related to a recruit and I was thinking "what an undisciplined idiot".
Steve Clark is the two time state POY I do believe.

cherokeebrewer
1/28/2014, 03:09 PM
I don't know what was said

It was just the regular "Sit down" chant after Stevie fouled out...fairly harmless in a rivalry matchup, but him & him mom apparently took offense...he blamed it on the Sooner Nation refs. Out of respect, he could have also left his LSU cap in the car...His heart seems to be with LSU. If that's the case, he should go there...

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2014, 03:26 PM
If Clark commits to OU, we'll love him. If not, we'll either hate him or feel compelled to pull out the 'ol trusty "we'll win without him" line. No reason to start the hate early ;)

cherokeebrewer
1/28/2014, 03:50 PM
Hate is a strong emotion, not one I would ever feel toward a recruit...

Soonerjeepman
1/28/2014, 04:23 PM
didn't see it...if THAT is what turns him another way..wow, so be it. Grow up...does he actually think if it was reversed osu/lsu whoever would think twice about it? lol. The prima donna attitude is not good.

Widescreen
1/28/2014, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking he's looking for reasons to not go to OU. And that's fine. As others have said, if he expected OU fans to cheer for OSU just because Dre's brother plays for them, he has no understanding of sports or rivalries. The "sit down" thing was incredibly mild for a rivalry game. And honestly, if you'd approached a bunch of OU fans and said "hey, Dre Clark is in attendance", 99% of them would've said "who?". If he comes to OU, great. He seems like a good talent. But if he'd rather go to LSU (or somewhere else), then he should definitely do that.

Eielson
1/28/2014, 04:38 PM
I didn't realize that Dre was related to Stevie. If he's anything like his older brother, then we don't want him. No matter how talented, Stevie is not the kind of kid you want on your team.

Eielson
1/28/2014, 04:41 PM
Also, that "left, right, left, right, sit down" chant is pretty much standard protocol. Was this his first basketball game or something? The "Smart you suck!" chants were about the farthest thing from classy, but I'm not going to complain.

birddog
1/28/2014, 04:56 PM
Maybe deondre should go to osu and try to show the Sooners what he missed out on...4 years of getting smacked in the mouth while being on a team that drops to 91-17 against us. Oh wait, I hope my post doesn't change his mommas mind!

Bourbon St Sooner
1/28/2014, 06:15 PM
We'll win with you or without you.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/28/2014, 06:21 PM

So was Ryan Humphrey. My point still stands.

I honestly felt like I had been transported back in time watching that game -> Leonard Hamilton vs Billy Tubbs.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 06:52 PM
Weird ordeal.

I really don't care about any of the reactions to the crowd chants, etc. last night. I still would really like to land the kid. However, I'm starting to really doubt he'll end up in Norman. It has nothing to do with last night, but everything to do with the Miles visit last week and his official to Baton Rouge last weekend. I really think LSU is where he want's to be, and I can't fault a kid for going where he wants to go.

Sadly, this is probably a casualty of the D-line coach change. There was a period of time when nobody was contacting our D-line recruits. Montgomery came in and immediately went to work, he did an excellent job of getting Clark back in the mix, but it may just have been too little, too late.

I hate losing out on a top in-state kid more than anything, but in the long run...should he chose to go elsewhere...I have full faith that Montgomery will waste no time bringing in great talent. (He's already doing it).

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 06:54 PM
Freakin' Tennessee already has 72 commits. How many more can they take?

The good news is Garnett elected to skip his Tennessee visit. The bad news is he's replaced Tennessee with Notre Dame.

I think he's just going to South Bend because he can, I still believe he'll be a Sooner. Notre Dame only offered him in the past 48 hours.

Ruf/Nek7
1/28/2014, 07:52 PM
The good news is Garnett elected to skip his Tennessee visit. The bad news is he's replaced Tennessee with Notre Dame.

I think he's just going to South Bend because he can, I still believe he'll be a Sooner. Notre Dame only offered him in the past 48 hours.

And will weather permit his trip to SB?

Collier11
1/28/2014, 08:31 PM

and Woodard has outperformed him every day of the year

SoonerorLater
1/28/2014, 09:10 PM
Too much drama with this guy. Let's move on.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 09:45 PM
And will weather permit his trip to SB?

Doesn't look good for him, but if there is a chance he can take the trip, I'm sure he'll try.

stoopified
1/28/2014, 10:15 PM
Dre should go to oSu if he wants to play

Widescreen
1/28/2014, 10:31 PM
Dre should go to oSu if he wants go 0-4 against OU
FIFY

picasso
1/28/2014, 10:54 PM
What did they expect from them Gooners?

birddog
1/28/2014, 11:56 PM
Anything on lb Jamardre Cobb,? At 6'2 230 he has the size and speed to play inside or out.

cherokeebrewer
1/29/2014, 07:39 AM
About that OU/OSU basketball game...Ryan Spangler is a warrior!

stoopified
1/29/2014, 02:16 PM
FIFYSorry I thought the 0-4 was a given.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 03:07 PM
Anything on lb Jamardre Cobb,? At 6'2 230 he has the size and speed to play inside or out.

He's been pretty solid with Arizona for a while (He and Ware committed together). The Sooner coaches have stayed in touch, but I don't suspect a flip there.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 03:09 PM
Michiah Quick cancelled his visit to UCLA this coming weekend. Brian Kelly will is scheduled for an in-home visit with Quick tonight, or tomorrow. Quick's high school coach said it's down to OU, Notre Dame and UCLA, but I think the cancellation of the UCLA visit says UCLA is really no longer in the hunt.

Looks like it's between Notre Dame and OU, and I just don't see Notre Dame winning out in this one. Too many connections for Quick at OU.

oupride
1/29/2014, 07:03 PM
Too much drama with this guy. Let's move on.

Collier11
1/29/2014, 07:31 PM
Michiah Quick cancelled his visit to UCLA this coming weekend. Brian Kelly will is scheduled for an in-home visit with Quick tonight, or tomorrow. Quick's high school coach said it's down to OU, Notre Dame and UCLA, but I think the cancellation of the UCLA visit says UCLA is really no longer in the hunt.

Looks like it's between Notre Dame and OU, and I just don't see Notre Dame winning out in this one. Too many connections for Quick at OU.

word is that Quick will pick OU

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 09:39 PM
word is that Quick will pick OU

Personally, I think he's been solid with OU since his visit last year. He's a smart kid, with a pretty involved family, so I think the reason he hasn't already committed is because he wanted to take full advantage of the process.

I think Quick and Parker have both quietly been pretty set with going to OU. Both have similar families, and both are pretty smart kids.

Eielson
1/29/2014, 11:46 PM
If we close out with Quick and Parker, I'd be pretty thrilled with our post-Sugar Bowl haul.

Collier11
1/30/2014, 12:32 AM
lost a DT today, likely to grades and JUCO

oupride
1/30/2014, 07:07 AM
What position do you see Quick playing possibly? Anyone know? Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. Thanks.

Ruf/Nek7
1/30/2014, 07:37 AM
What position do you see Quick playing possibly? Anyone know? Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. Thanks.

He could be a corner or receiver. It seems as though most signs point to him playing a slot receiver role but you know how positions can change once in college.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 06:13 PM
lost a DT today, likely to grades and JUCO

I addressed this somewhere in this thread a week or so ago(I know, it's long). OU actually knew about three weeks ago.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 06:14 PM

OU originally started recruiting him at DB, but he made it clear pretty early on that he wants to play WR. I think he'll end up on offense, and possibly as a KR.

SoonerofAlabama
1/30/2014, 10:26 PM
Courtney Garnett, 3-star DT, committed to OU today on Coach Stoops' in-home visit. He is the teammate of Joseph Paul.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 10:29 PM
Courtney Garnett, 3-star DT, committed to OU today on Coach Stoops' in-home visit. He is the teammate of Joseph Paul.

This was not a huge surprise, but with Notre Dame sniffing around it had gotten a little more interesting.

SoonerofAlabama
1/30/2014, 10:31 PM
This was not a huge surprise, but with Notre Dame sniffing around it had gotten a little more interesting.
Had me worried because Notre Dame was pushing hard for another DT commit.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 10:34 PM
Had me worried because Notre Dame was pushing hard for another DT commit.

I felt like he was a solid OU lean, but they did make a late push. They may have had a better shot if they had gotten in much earlier. OU had already offered well before Garnett committed to Texas, so we were in a good spot after he de-committed.

Glad he's a Sooner.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 10:37 PM
FYI:

If anyone is checking the "2014 Verbal Commit" list (at the top of this forum), I am not removing Brandon Glenn until signing day. There is still a chance (very slim) that he could qualify. He's committed to a JUCO, but trying everything possible to end up at OU.

Like I said, the odds are very low that he will end up a Sooner this year, but I'm keeping him listed until it's "official".

With the commit by Garnett, we may not see another commit until NSD. Deondre Clark is waiting until the 10th to sign (anywhere), otherwise the remaining targets (with the possible exception of Frison) in my initial post are expected to announce on signing day.

Scott D
1/30/2014, 10:37 PM
I felt like he was a solid OU lean, but they did make a late push. They may have had a better shot if they had gotten in much earlier. OU had already offered well before Garnett committed to Texas, so we were in a good spot after he de-committed.

Glad he's a Sooner.

Still think the funny thing is that Texas people are trying to say "oh, he was going to be an academic casualty anyway." until his grades and scores came out, then ND showed up in the picture. Texas fan still has egg on face. :D

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 10:39 PM
Still think the funny thing is that Texas people are trying to say "oh, he was going to be an academic casualty anyway." until his grades and scores came out, then ND showed up in the picture. Texas fan still has egg on face. :D

Yeah, that was good. I'm pretty sure he posted his grades and test scores on Twitter just for that reason. He seems to really (REALLY) sour on Texas after Mack left. That's the way I like 'em!

Collier11
1/30/2014, 11:56 PM
He is still taking his trip to ND this weekend, fwiw

SoonerofAlabama
1/31/2014, 12:00 AM

The coaches allowed him to so they must be feeling pretty confident about his commitment.

CK Sooner
1/31/2014, 01:23 AM

UPDATE: Courtney is going to take the trip to Notre Dame. However he told me that Oklahoma is “letting” him go. I’ve talked to Courtney enough to know that he wants to take trips. Can’t really blame him. He definitely wanted to take the trip to Oregon for the fun of it.
Recent Evaluations

freshchris05
1/31/2014, 04:18 PM
http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/

Great site if any of you have never been. A few good reads posted right now.

8timechamps
1/31/2014, 06:00 PM
Update regarding Dre Clark:

Deondre has cancelled his plans to play in the International Bowl (USA/Canada) next weekend, so he has changed his announcement date. He will now announce on NSD.

SoonerorLater
1/31/2014, 07:00 PM

I don't know. Sort of like getting engaged and being told she will still be seeing her old boyfriend.

SoonerofAlabama
1/31/2014, 07:18 PM
For any wondering, three of our final four targets have set their decision times on National Signing Day.

Kenyon Frison 8:30 a.m. NSD
Steven Parker 12:00 p.m. Feb. 4th
Michiah Quick 5:00 p.m. NSD
Deondre Clark 2:00 p.m. NSD

8timechamps
1/31/2014, 10:54 PM
For any wondering, three of our final four targets have set their decision times on National Signing Day.

Steven Parker 1:15 p.m. NSD
Michiah Quick 5:00 p.m. NSD

And I haven't heard anything about Frison's decision date.

Frison hasn't "set a date/time" for his announcement. He could announce anytime between now and NSD.

BoulderSooner79
1/31/2014, 11:53 PM
I don't know. Sort of like getting engaged and being told she will still be seeing her old boyfriend.

No, more like getting engaged but keeping a previously scheduled first date.

But not really a good analogy as this is more like job interviews. Besides, it doesn't sound like there is any win in Stoop's saying no.

Collier11
2/1/2014, 12:42 PM
I got you Boulder. It is like getting the job of your dreams but asking them to not worry as you go on another great job interview

SoonerofAlabama
2/3/2014, 01:09 PM
Parker is making his decision tomorrow and signing the next day.

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2014, 04:23 PM
Parker is reportedly making his decision tomorrow and signing the next day.

I see your location is in Alabama. Have you seen any sign of Sabanball around there? He was always very complementary of the OU program, but has gone silent in the last month.

Widescreen
2/3/2014, 04:33 PM
I see your location is in Alabama. Have you seen any sign of Sabanball around there? He was always very complementary of the OU program, but has gone silent in the last month.

Complimentary? I guess if you consider back-handed compliments "complimentary".

SoonerofAlabama
2/3/2014, 04:40 PM

I haven't ever actually spoken to Sabanball so I don't know where he's been. Last I saw of him was in the Sugar Bowl thread.

cvsooner
2/3/2014, 04:47 PM
Latest on Tee Shephard: guess he's not going JUCO again but to Mississippi State, if this report is accurate.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/03/ex-irish-corner-tee-shepard-commits-to-miss-st/

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2014, 05:39 PM
Complimentary? I guess if you consider back-handed compliments "complimentary".

I may have been injecting a little sarcasm to go along with my poor spelling :D

SoonerofAlabama
2/3/2014, 06:12 PM
Update: Steven Parker is deciding tomorrow at 12 CT.

cvsooner
2/3/2014, 06:21 PM
Update: Frison will announce his choice between OU, Nebraska, Ariz. St. and Utah at 8:30 am Central, Wednesday. According to Twitter post.

SoonerofAlabama
2/3/2014, 06:34 PM
With that, our final four targets have set their decision dates.

Kenyon Frison 8:30 a.m. NSD
Steven Parker 12:00 p.m. Feb. 4th
Michiah Quick 5:30 p.m. NSD

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 06:41 PM
With the recent commitments to A&M and Auburn, I'm going to call it now: Parker will be a Sooner this time tomorrow.

Collier11
2/3/2014, 07:20 PM
Any surprises coming? Anyone off the radar that we might steal or anyone currently committed who could bail?

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 07:26 PM
Any surprises coming? Anyone off the radar that we might steal or anyone currently committed who could bail?

None that I can think of, but that means nothing.

Of the remaining four targets, I wouldn't be surprised if we get two and lose two, nor would I be surprised if we get all four. I don't see any real threat of anyone flipping away from OU, but you never know. Ever since the Ryan Broyles incident, I'm never completely confident until the letter has arrived.

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 05:21 PM
Parker was the remaining target I felt the most confident about, so I'm glad he verified my feeling.

In an interesting turn of events, Texas DE/OLB commit; Sione Teuhema de-committed from Texas and committed to LSU earlier today. That's important for two reasons:

1. Another Texas de-commit
2. Could be a sign that LSU won't land Clark.

todd_shelton87
2/4/2014, 06:17 PM
Any chance OU loses Courtney Garnett to ND?

See on Rivals he is listed a soft committ, since he did take a visit, but everyone felt confident he would sign with OU.

Looks like rivals and others, are trying to stir the emotion for more premium members.

SoonerofAlabama
2/4/2014, 07:27 PM
Garnett is signing at 11 a.m. tomorrow and it's between Oklahoma and Notre Dame for him.

Curly Bill
2/4/2014, 07:30 PM
Garnett is signing at 11 a.m. tomorrow and it's between Oklahoma and Notre Dame for him.

Obligatory: We'll win with him, or we'll win without him! :)

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 07:40 PM
Any chance OU loses Courtney Garnett to ND?

See on Rivals he is listed a soft committ, since he did take a visit, but everyone felt confident he would sign with OU.

Looks like rivals and others, are trying to stir the emotion for more premium members.

I'd still be pretty surprised if he ended up at Notre Dame. Too many things working in OU's favor here.

I'm not as confident with Garnett as I was with Parker, but I do think he'll be a Sooner.

todd_shelton87
2/4/2014, 08:48 PM
Tomorrow will be a fun day. Hopefully OU will finish with Garnett, Frison, Quick and maybe Clark. I'm not going to sweat Garnett and Clarke too much. I read a rumor that Huggins the OU DT signee was still interested in OU. Plus 2 DT Committ's coming in for the 2015 Class. Also looking good for DE's next year.

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow will be a fun day. Hopefully OU will finish with Garnett, Frison, Quick and maybe Clark. I'm not going to sweat Garnett and Clarke too much. I read a rumor that Huggins the OU DT signee was still interested in OU. Plus 2 DT Committ's coming in for the 2015 Class. Also looking good for DE's next year.

No doubt that Frison is the most important target remaining, so he's my "big catch" tomorrow. Quick seems solidly with OU and I don't expect a surprise there. I guess I'm with you, and while I think both Garnett and Clark end up at OU, I'm not really worried one way or another with those two.

I know Huggins told Montgomery he would "be at OU". I hope he is getting his qualification issues taken care of, and I'd love to see him end up a Sooner.

I think next year will be a much better year for DT recruits. Since it sounds like OU will lose Glenn to JUCO this year, we'll probably only end up with 1 commit there. However, if the rumors of Charles Walker are true, we could be pretty stout there next year (depending on what happens with Phillips recovery). Wade and Ndulue can certainly get the job done, but I think Walker is going to force the coaches to get him on the field based on his development.

As for DE's, we're really deep going into next year, and we still haven't seen our 2013 stud DE DJ Ward, Okoronkwo or much of Onuoha. We saw that Dimon is ready to contribute, and those are just the non-starters. Add in Orso, and I think we may have the deepest group in the conference. If Clark comes to OU, then that's just one more quality player.

Montgomery and Bedenbaugh have done an excellent job of recruiting in a transition year, and setting up for the near term classes. We're lucky Bob picked two guys that knew how to recruit.