PDA

View Full Version : Commit #21 (and he's a big 'en)

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:05 PM
Joseph Paul (team-mate of Courtney Garnett), Offensive Guard, 6'6" 340 lbs, just committed to OU.

This is huge for two reasons:

1. We need O-linemen
2. This almost guarantees Garnett will be a Sooner.

BOOMER!

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 09:09 PM
Joseph Paul (team-mate of Courtney Garnett), Offensive Guard, 6'6" 340 lbs, just committed to OU.

This is huge for two reasons:

1. We need O-linemen
2. This almost guarantees Garnett will be a Sooner.

BOOMER!

If Garnett doesn't commit to OU, I'm coming back here to collect from you, 8time. That's a money-back guarantee, right?

:D

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:11 PM
EDIT: Paul is an OT, not a guard.

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:11 PM
If Garnett doesn't commit to OU, I'm coming back here to collect from you, 8time. That's a money-back guarantee, right?

:D

Take it to the bank! ;)

sooneron
1/8/2014, 09:19 PM
Scout has him listed as a guard. He seems to be OT sized...

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:24 PM
Scout has him listed as a guard. He seems to be OT sized...

Yeah, all of the services have him listed as guard, but I have it on good authority he's coming in to play OT. And I agree, he's got the ideal frame to play OT.

jiminy
1/8/2014, 11:55 PM
And he seems to have the right temperament to play OT

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/JOSEPH-PAU03_10_24_150.JPG

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 12:33 AM
Here's what's crazy: Rivals has him rated a 5.4 on their scale, which is of course very low, but the kid has offers from OU, Florida, aTm, Texas, and Florida State. How does that work?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/9/2014, 12:55 AM
Here's what's crazy: Rivals has him rated a 5.4 on their scale, which is of course very low, but the kid has offers from OU, Florida, aTm, Texas, and Florida State. How does that work?

Linemen are hard to evaluate and schools are better at evaluating than rivals?

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 12:58 AM

No doubt a lotta truth to that. But you'd think Rivals, or any other service, would look and see this kid has some big offers and go: Whoa! This kid has offers from OU, FSU, aTm, etc, etc, and bumb him up from a 2-star recruit. I'm sure he'll get some bump the next ranking they do, but still....

TheUnnamedSooner
1/9/2014, 01:14 AM

No doubt a lotta truth to that. But you'd think Rivals, or any other service, would look and see this kid has some big offers and go: Whoa! This kid has offers from OU, FSU, aTm, etc, etc, and bumb him up from a 2-star recruit. I'm sure he'll get some bump the next ranking they do, but still....

That's exactly what I thought after I posted that. Maybe he fell through the crack or they are unsure until he committed. Who knows.

KantoSooner
1/9/2014, 09:40 AM
I'm' going with the "Rivals has their heads up their azz" theory. More in keeping with snarky message board zeitgeist.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/9/2014, 09:55 AM
St. Aug kid, so I'm guessing he's got his head on straight. They still use the paddle there if you get out of line. St. Aug has a great tradition of taking inner city youth and turning them into disciplined young men.

OUAriakas
1/9/2014, 10:14 AM

Here is a better evaluation of him by The Brainiacs before he committed.

http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/joseph-paul

If you haven't heard of The Brainiacs, they are former football players and OU fans that evaluate kids that OU is looking at or they believe OU should take a look at.

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 03:46 PM

He put on a lot of weight between his junior and senior year. Florida wasn't happy with that, and backed off. I guess the thought is if he can get his weight in check, he could be a monster. We'll see.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 03:52 PM
He put on a lot of weight between his junior and senior year. Florida wasn't happy with that, and backed off. I guess the thought is if he can get his weight in check, he could be a monster. We'll see.

If so this is a roll of the dice I don't mind. Some of those other lower ranked guys we've got committed I don't quite get, but I'm guessing we've got our reasons. After the Sugar Bowl I'm back to trusting in the staff. LOL

stoopified
1/10/2014, 06:06 PM
I'm' going with the "Rivals has their heads up their azz" theory. More in keeping with snarky message board zeitgeist.THERE YA GO

oupride
1/10/2014, 07:11 PM
Here is a better evaluation of him by The Brainiacs before he committed.

http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/joseph-paul

If you haven't heard of The Brainiacs, they are former football players and OU fans that evaluate kids that OU is looking at or they believe OU should take a look at.

Thanks for the info. I did not know about this site.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 07:35 PM
If so this is a roll of the dice I don't mind. Some of those other lower ranked guys we've got committed I don't quite get, but I'm guessing we've got our reasons. After the Sugar Bowl I'm back to trusting in the staff. LOL

I agree. I think this is a calculated risk. If the kid can get to work when he gets to Norman, he'll end up being a huge steal. If not, he'll fade away.

This is the kind of kid LSU has a ton of, and the kind of kid we were saying "why can't we get a guy like that". Hopefully, he'll come to Norman with a chip on his shoulder.