PDA

View Full Version : Kansas @ OU (men)

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 06:57 PM
I would feel a lot better about this game if KU hadn't lost to SDSU over the weekend. I think it's a tough proposition to expect KU to lose back-to-back games, but it's possible.

We'll see very soon...

SoonerorLater
1/8/2014, 07:14 PM
We are giving up a lot of size inside. Hope Spangler can hold up. If I were Self I would be getting this down low every chance,

Eielson
1/8/2014, 07:32 PM
We're giving a lot of size down low as is, and the officials aren't doing us any favors. Embiid went over Clark's back and they called it a jump ball. A few minutes later Clark had a jump ball with one of Kansas' bigs (Black I think), and they called him for his second foul...which really hurts us. Right after we sub out Clark they push off and score on an offensive rebound.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 07:33 PM
Props to Clark, though. He's been battling out there with their bigs. He's not backing down to anybody on the boards/loose balls.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 07:35 PM
Spangler has two now. The story of this game could be foul trouble down low.

SoonerorLater
1/8/2014, 07:41 PM
Don't think we will be able to sir Spangler long. Really no inside presence otherwise. Is Bennett available?

kevpks
1/8/2014, 08:01 PM
Well that was a crappy end to an otherwise good half of basketball.

aurorasooner
1/8/2014, 08:08 PM
Well that was a crappy end to an otherwise good half of basketball.Yeah, we sure screwed that up. Good game though, considering it looks like a pro team playing a college team as far as the height of the players. I would like to see us steal this one, but I think we're going to have to get unconscious with the 3s.

SoonerorLater
1/8/2014, 08:11 PM
On a positive note we've shot the ball well and kept the turnovers down to a respectable level. This Kansas team just doesn't seen to be able to generate the defensive pressure like Self's other teams.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 08:11 PM
Pretty good half offensively. Pretty atrocious defensively. Kansas shot 65% from the field and only had 5 turnovers. They only missed ten shots, and they had 4 offensive boards. We're going to need to do a lot better on defense next half or this could get ugly. Thankfully Tarik Black got us halfway to the bonus in only a few minutes of playing time. Woodard is quite the PG on offense when you give him about 10 minutes in the double bonus.

Sooner95
1/8/2014, 08:41 PM
A good measuring stick for us. We're hanging with them, but we just seem to be short...

aurorasooner
1/8/2014, 08:46 PM
A good measuring stick for us. We're hanging with them, but we just seem to be short...C. Clark bring us back. A couple of more stops and we're in down the stretch.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 08:48 PM
Embiid cant handle Clark on either side of the floor.

Sooner95
1/8/2014, 08:59 PM
Clark having a nice game..

Sooner95
1/8/2014, 09:05 PM
Certainly had some chances down the stretch here..

Sooner95
1/8/2014, 09:15 PM
Crap, I feel like we played well but our Def just wasn't good enough. KU shot the ball really well.

Put this one behind us, got undefeated ISU coming in on Sat.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 10:03 PM
Clark was doing well on Embiid one on one early, but he got into cheap foul trouble so we couldn't afford to lose his offense. That forced us to double and triple team him, and that opened the floor up for their guards to pick us apart.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 10:05 PM
Wiggins is so far behind where I thought he would be. Clark is by far the better player right now.

Soonerjeepman
1/9/2014, 12:00 AM
tough game...got to admit we played better than I thought. Hiliarious ku fans complaining about fouls. It's the classic we were driving to the bucket...they were settling for outside shots...which they made.

Out rebounded, out shot both reg FG and 3's. Only thing we did better was FT...not % just amounts...5'6 more att and makes. Not horribly a big gap as bill self would make you believe. (listened to ku radio after the game).

If we can pull off the win against isu...then maybe split with ksu/bu on the road...tough 3 games.

Salt City Sooner
1/9/2014, 02:01 AM
If Sampson were dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave. Defense really is de thing around de yard with this team.

badger
1/9/2014, 09:19 AM
I felt sick watching us try to jack up threes over and over at the end, knowing that if we just would settle for an easy two instead, we'd at least come away with more than nothing from these precious endgame possessions.

Well, at least they kept it under 10. I said that I could skip my workout if they won, or do the easy one if it was a less-than-10-point loss. I probably wouldn't have been able to move this morning if the margin was worse :(

Boomer Sooner anyway. Gaaaaahhhh why are our previous awesome teams (men and women) tanking come conference season time :(:(

SoonerorLater
1/9/2014, 10:26 AM
My take away from this game. KU is a talented but sort of sloppy team. Defensively they haven't developed the skill or tenacity like Bill Self's previous teams. They look like a work in progress that could eventually gell into a championship run type team. KU wasn't a very good matchup for OU from a physical perspective. KU just has too much size and it made it very tough for OU inside. OU tried collapsing the zone inside when the ball went in but without a great deal of success leaving perimeter defense as a second thought. Give KU credit they were able to take advantage and hurt us from the outside also. I understand us going zone but we have to figure out a way to get more on the ball pressure.

Add to that Spangler sitting for almost half the game and we get beat down on the boards. Under the best circumstances OU would struggle inside with KU. With Spangler on the bench it made it virtually impossible. I thought Bennett would see more time but appears Kruger thinks Bennett isn't a viable option at this point leaving Tyler Neal and Cam Clark as post defenders. Gulp! Hornbeak isn't really back and looks like he is just filling minutes right now. When you let the opposition shoot 54% from the field, 50% from the three point area and give up 11 offensive boards on top of that you won't win many games even against mediocre competition.

Up next unbeaten ISU. Buckle up. The road is getting rough.

yankee
1/9/2014, 01:04 PM
Iowa State may score 150 on us.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 08:03 PM
My take away from this game. KU is a talented but sort of sloppy team. Defensively they haven't developed the skill or tenacity like Bill Self's previous teams. They look like a work in progress that could eventually gell into a championship run type team. KU wasn't a very good matchup for OU from a physical perspective. KU just has too much size and it made it very tough for OU inside. OU tried collapsing the zone inside when the ball went in but without a great deal of success leaving perimeter defense as a second thought. Give KU credit they were able to take advantage and hurt us from the outside also. I understand us going zone but we have to figure out a way to get more on the ball pressure.

Add to that Spangler sitting for almost half the game and we get beat down on the boards. Under the best circumstances OU would struggle inside with KU. With Spangler on the bench it made it virtually impossible. I thought Bennett would see more time but appears Kruger thinks Bennett isn't a viable option at this point leaving Tyler Neal and Cam Clark as post defenders. Gulp! Hornbeak isn't really back and looks like he is just filling minutes right now. When you let the opposition shoot 54% from the field, 50% from the three point area and give up 11 offensive boards on top of that you won't win many games even against mediocre competition.

Up next unbeaten ISU. Buckle up. The road is getting rough.

Good recap.

The lack of Spangler definitely hurt, and we're still reeling without Hornbeak (at 100%). KU looks very beatable, and on a night we didn't play out best, took them to the wire. In the end, they are just a better team, but the gap has significantly been closed.

Iowa State is one of (if not the) hottest teams in the country right now. However, I really like the match-up and having the game at home (on a Saturday) could really help. We really need to get at least one win in our next three games (ISU, KSU, Baylor). I would love to see a couple of wins, but you have to start somewhere.

In a strange way, we match up against ISU a lot like Northern Iowa did (the one team that has come the closest to beating the Cyclones). UNI isn't very good, but they have a similar size to OU, and they have a couple of guards that shoot well. I think we will present ISU with some similar problems. We need to get the home win, because they'll be tough to beat at there place.

Soonerjeepman
1/11/2014, 09:56 AM
yup...about any road game is going to be tough...that's why I agree THIS is game is big. ksu and bu on the road will be a huge hurdle. I think we match up decent with ksu as well. I was thinking spangler got dinged up as well...his shin.

I might review my conf record...

ku 0-2
osu 1-1
isu 1-1
bu 1-1
ksu 1-1
ut 2-0
tt 2-0
tcu 2-0
wv 1-1

that's 11-7..or we could just as easily drop 2 games against ksu, isu, osu and bu..that would put us at 7-11..ugh.

Got to find some defense.

I'd say the sure wins are tcu and tt...tcu is horrible. Not sure against wv.

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 06:45 PM
yup...about any road game is going to be tough...that's why I agree THIS is game is big. ksu and bu on the road will be a huge hurdle. I think we match up decent with ksu as well. I was thinking spangler got dinged up as well...his shin.

I might review my conf record...

ku 0-2
osu 1-1
isu 1-1
bu 1-1
ksu 1-1
ut 2-0
tt 2-0
tcu 2-0
wv 1-1

that's 11-7..or we could just as easily drop 2 games against ksu, isu, osu and bu..that would put us at 7-11..ugh.

Got to find some defense.

I'd say the sure wins are tcu and tt...tcu is horrible. Not sure against wv.

Being at home, and individual match-ups are huge in college hoops. I liked the way things looked on paper, and it turned out in our favor today. I agree, we also match up with KSU pretty well.

I don't particularly like our match up with Baylor or OSU, but a split isn't out of the question. Today's win was big!