PDA

View Full Version : Manziel Going Pro

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 01:07 PM
Skipping his finial 2 seasons at A&M, per ESPN. I don't think anyone is surprised by this.

step....what are the thoughts on him as an NFL QB? I wouldn't think he would translate real well to the NFL but somebody will draft him high and pay him millions of dollars. Plus, I don't know anything about NFL QB's other than being a football watcher/fan so my opinion isn't worth much. He definitely doesn't have the prototypical size or arm strength and I would think those crazy plays he makes in college by buying time and hitting somebody that has wandered wide open will not happen nearly as frequently in the NFL. What are your thoughts on him?

winout
1/8/2014, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking more Vince Young than Russell Wilson.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2014, 01:13 PM
I think he will get broken in half

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 01:14 PM
I'm no STEP, but he looks like a poor man's Russell Wilson. Wilson makes great decisions on win to run/not-run and has an extremely strong arm. Manziel would have to become much more disciplined on both running and throwing decisions to succeed at the next level. It's certainly possible for him to make it.

badger
1/8/2014, 01:20 PM
You could take any quarterback of note and then add a qualifier.

I'm no STEP, but he looks like a poor man's Russell Wilson

Russell Wilson, without a good head on his shoulders to make good off-field decisions.

I'm thinking more Vince Young
Vince Young, without the national championship (that he single-handedly won for whorn).

Here's one more that comes to mind: Brett Favre, with all of the diva and hero mode theatrics, but without the arm strength and potential longevity.

MojoRisen
1/8/2014, 01:21 PM
Although an Aggie this dude can make all the throws - I think he will be similar to Russell Wilson. But really depends on which team he goes to and how high. If he doesn't have the surrounding cast etc might be a tough transition. No reason to think he wont be a stud in the NFL though based on what he has done.

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 01:24 PM
Although an Aggie this dude can make all the throws - I think he will be similar to Russell Wilson. But really depends on which team he goes to and how high. If he doesn't have the surrounding cast etc might be a tough transition. No reason to think he wont be a stud in the NFL though based on what he has done.

Isn't he Doug Flutie with less sense?

badger
1/8/2014, 01:25 PM
Isn't he Doug Flutie with less sense?

Or Tim Tebow with less prayer (but both will be drafted in the first round, a decision that both of their drafting teams will regret, followed by the drafting team trading him away and bye bye career shortly after)

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 01:27 PM
Except that he is nothing at all like Tim Tebow.

picasso
1/8/2014, 01:30 PM
Or Tim Tebow with less prayer (but both will be drafted in the first round, a decision that both of their drafting teams will regret, followed by the drafting team trading him away and bye bye career shortly after)

He throws ten times better than Tebow.

Aries
1/8/2014, 01:32 PM
Exactly what I was going to say, he's more Vince Young/Tim Tebow than he is Cam Newton/RGIII.

I'll be a little surprised if he does much in the NFL.

SoonerMarkVA
1/8/2014, 01:37 PM
I'm just glad he's gone. His antics tarnish college football.

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 01:37 PM
He throws ten times better than Tebow.

Yes and he is not a bulldozer. I would definitely take Manziel over Tebow.

Mac94
1/8/2014, 02:05 PM
No stunned to anyone that he's gone. I think the issue with him won't be ability as much as staying healthy. He got banged around and hurt in the second half of the season ... esp against Auburn. He'll be going to (most likely) a pretty bad team (Cleveland or Jacksonville) and he may take a pounding. A healthy Johnny is interesting ... and hurt johnny we've seen against LSU and Mizzou.

sooneron
1/8/2014, 02:14 PM
I'm sure that some 250lb LBs will be more than willing to welcome him to the nfl with open arms...

swardboy
1/8/2014, 02:26 PM
He's not afraid to throw downfield vs. dinking and dunking the ball. I think that's a positive.

KantoSooner
1/8/2014, 02:30 PM
"Going Pro"?

Piware
1/8/2014, 03:01 PM
The next time we see Manziel a 350 pound NFL defensive pass rusher will be twisting him into a pretzel. Athletic talent aside, which he clearly has, will not compensate for that jumbo size ego and his antics. Divas do not do well in the NFL. Don't let the doorknob hit ya.

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 03:02 PM
"Going Pro"?

Pro-er.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 03:16 PM
Manziel reminds me more of Fran Tarkington than any other QB I've ever seen. Tarkington didn't have a real strong arm either, but was accurate. But he had that same uncanny pocket presence that allowed him to escape almost any pressure situation and buy time. He was also very smart and protected himself even w/o all the current QB protection rules. Manziel, at the college level, takes too many hits and too many chances with his passes. If he gets better on both accounts, it will be interesting to see if this style QB can succeed in today's NFL. He is very entertaining to watch and the NFL is an entertainment industry.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2014, 03:27 PM
Manziel reminds me more of Fran Tarkington than any other QB I've ever seen. Tarkington didn't have a real strong arm either, but was accurate. But he had that same uncanny pocket presence that allowed him to escape almost any pressure situation and buy time. He was also very smart and protected himself even w/o all the current QB protection rules. Manziel, at the college level, takes too many hits and too many chances with his passes. If he gets better on both accounts, it will be interesting to see if this style QB can succeed in today's NFL. He is very entertaining to watch and the NFL is an entertainment industry.

Dude, stop reading my mind.

The one question mark about comparing him with Tark is that Tark had this uncanny ability to know where guys were on the field when he was doing his hocus pocus in the pocket. He'd spin and throw as he was coming out of the spin for a big play.

rock on sooner
1/8/2014, 03:34 PM

Sir Francis was all those things you mentioned and also the
victim of one of the more gruesome injuries I've seen...Manziel,
at 6'1", 209 really won't be able to stand up to many of the
hostile 250-290 pounders that will surely be chasing him....

Mac94
1/8/2014, 03:35 PM
I've heard the Fran Tarkington comparision before ... but Fran played in a different era. Defenses are so much stronger and faster now than in those days ... and Manziel will be going to a team without much talent. I hope Johnny does well ... always root for Aggies and Sooners to do well in the NFL ... but I just have doubts on his ability to hold up to the hits NFL defenses can give out.

Temujin
1/8/2014, 03:48 PM
I think he's a turnover machine at the next level.

KantoSooner
1/8/2014, 03:59 PM
I just can't see an NFL coach being very happy with him showing up to practice drunk or hungover and spending his personal time burning the candle at both ends while collecting bazillions.
And I can't see him changing his ways.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 04:08 PM
I've heard the Fran Tarkington comparision before ... but Fran played in a different era. Defenses are so much stronger and faster now than in those days ... and Manziel will be going to a team without much talent. I hope Johnny does well ... always root for Aggies and Sooners to do well in the NFL ... but I just have doubts on his ability to hold up to the hits NFL defenses can give out.

Which is why I said it will be interesting to see if this style would fly today. Manziel is much faster than Tark was and I suspect his arm is stronger, so he is a bit of an update. But he certainly doesn't throw those frozen ropes that we see from Wilson and Kaepernick, to augment the running ability.

stoopified
1/8/2014, 04:12 PM
With the new NFL cba Johnny Cash will take a paycut to go to the NFL. Good riddanse to the little pr!ick.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2014, 05:10 PM
Which is why I said it will be interesting to see if this style would fly today. Manziel is much faster than Tark was and I suspect his arm is stronger, so he is a bit of an update. But he certainly doesn't throw those frozen ropes that we see from Wilson and Kaepernick, to augment the running ability.

Look no further than Tony Romo ;)

aurorasooner
1/8/2014, 05:32 PM
I think he's a turnover machine at the next level. Canadian Football league in 3 years. He'll win the cup up there with that wide field, and probably end somewhere like Buffalo.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 05:38 PM
We seem to have Manziel's football rise and downfall mapped out. Any estimates on when he is forced into bankruptcy?

OUinFLA
1/8/2014, 05:39 PM

this

When FT played, DBs and LBs didn't weigh 220-250 and run the 40 in near 4.0 time.
He's gonna get smacked by a sledge hammer LB one too many times. Especially on a team picking in the top 5 picks.

Never the less, good choice on his part. Put a bunch of money in your pocket while you can, and retire when you want.

Mjcpr
1/8/2014, 05:40 PM
We seem to have Manziel's football rise and downfall mapped out. Any estimates on when he is forced into bankruptcy?

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 06:51 PM
Manziel likes to run his mouth on the field, which he got away with in college. He'll either learn to shut up, or have a short career with that in the NFL. Other than Phillips Rivers (who is huge), I can't think of many guys that talked trash and lived to tell about it (Brett Favre a little, I guess).

As for his ability, it'll be interesting. His legs saved him a lot in college, and I really don't see a huge difference between him and Russell Wilson.

SoCalBigRed
1/8/2014, 06:58 PM
I was thinking the Tarkenton comparison also. Though, my memories of Tarkenton are him, not being an obnoxious ***. I remember him being confident, but not brash. But, he had that extra set of eyes that Manziel has and I think Manziel is actually more slippery (esp in the pocket)... Tark was/is smarter.

Breadburner
1/8/2014, 08:09 PM
He will never make to the regular season...Someone will kill him......

ashley
1/8/2014, 08:29 PM
Interesting that no slaps on here agree with NFL experts that do this sort of thing for a living.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 08:57 PM
Interesting that no slaps on here agree with NFL experts that do this sort of thing for a living.

I haven't really followed what they have been saying. Usually, the "experts" at this time are guys like McShay who have proven to be way off in the past. The real NFL guys wait until combines or pro-days before they say anything. I will say that Manziel is very entertaining and that has appeal in itself. If a GM would take Tebow in the first round, then I have no doubt Manziel will go high to somebody. Winning is the ultimate entertainment factor, but there are many NFL teams with very thin histories of winning and they need to generate $$ too. High profile players put butts in the seats and elevate ratings. It doesn't matter if everyone hates Manziel as long as they are willing to tune in to hate him.

sooner46
1/8/2014, 09:34 PM
Johnny Crash 2020

ouwasp
1/8/2014, 09:37 PM
I glad he's NFL-bound in the same way I was glad to hear the Honey Badger had gone pro. I don't care much about the pros, except to doze off to their games on Sunday afternoons.

Now I don't have to listen to college announcers gush all over about Johnny Football like some idolizing 12 yr old boys. Those fellows from the Duke/A&M bowl game were shameless in begging JF to stick around. Glad he didn't listen. Hope some black hole like the Raiders or Browns draft him.

picasso
1/8/2014, 10:51 PM

Never? Isn't his g'pa big money?

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 01:08 AM
I don't care that many of the NFL "experts" are saying he's gonna be a great NFL success. I also remember one of those slappies saying one of Colt McCoy's strengths was his arm strength, and I sat there stunned saying audibly: Seriously, have you seen him play?

Anywho, I think Little Johnny is a colossal NFL fail. I can see him creating some excitement for a year or so running around doing what he does, but he's eventually gonna get himself beat all to hell.

And some of you guys above were very correct in pointing out how the guys Tarkington played against weren't near so big, and not as fast.

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2014, 08:30 AM
The most important thing to me about Johnny Football is; how dedicated is he to football? Is he going to spend the time in the film room? Is he going to hone his craft while he is in the NFL? His history certainly doesn't indicate that to me...his party all the time attitude is akin to what happen to Josh Freeman here in Tampa...he became a party animal and was more worried about the good times instead of spending time in the film room.

He is too light in the *** to be running around in the NFL like he does in college and the sand lot type of plays may work in college...but they will fail in the NFL. NFL defenses will get film on him and exploit his tendencies...making him irrelevant in a very short period of time.

The Bucs have the #7 pick in the draft and I shudder to think of how it will play out if they select his little azz.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2014, 09:12 AM
Draft wise, he has bolted up the rounds the last couple of months with more scouts taken to film study on him.. Most scouts put him somewhere between Russell Wilson and Jake Plummer..

I hear certain top 10, possible top 5.. He and RW have similar height and weight, but different builds..

There are several teams around the top that have QB needs.. picks 1,3,4,5,7,8,11 are all in the market... I don't think he gets past cleveland at 4 right now.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 09:19 AM
Draft wise, he has bolted up the rounds the last couple of months with more scouts taken to film study on him.. Most scouts put him somewhere between Russell Wilson and Jake Plummer..

I hear certain top 10, possible top 5.. He and RW have similar height and weight, but different builds..

There are several teams around the top that have QB needs.. picks 1,3,4,5,7,8,11 are all in the market... I don't think he gets past cleveland at 4 right now.

Yep, from all the talk I think he goes early too, and I think that team within a year and a half is going to be looking for their next QB.

olevetonahill
1/9/2014, 09:23 AM
Yep, from all the talk I think he goes early too, and I think that team within a year and a half is going to be looking for their next QB.

Maybe whoever gets him will Sign Timmy and they can call it the Holy roller Offense, Praying and dancing to victory:very_drunk:

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 09:30 AM
Maybe whoever gets him will Sign Timmy and they can call it the Holy roller Offense, Praying and dancing to victory:very_drunk:

Can you imagine Timmy and Little Johnny hanging out being buds? Naw, I can't either!

olevetonahill
1/9/2014, 09:32 AM
Can you imagine Timmy and Little Johnny hanging out being buds? Naw, I can't either!

Heh, would be fun to watch tho :excitement:

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 09:37 AM
Heh, would be fun to watch tho :excitement:

Little Johnny does kinda need a big brother type!

Mjcpr
1/9/2014, 10:08 AM

I have no doubt he will be drafted high, I was just wondering what you thought of his pro prospects? I don't think he will make a good pro but I don't know anything so I figured I would ask you.

PrideMom
1/9/2014, 10:13 AM
He can't leave fast enough for me! I cannot stand his attitude and lack of respect. Young people do not need that as an example of behavior. If you are truly good, you do not have to misbehave to constantly get attention. Manzel's antics on the field and off the field should never be glossed over and accepted as okay. Self-confidence is one thing, being obnoxious is another.

jkjsooner
1/9/2014, 11:53 AM

Right before his parents leave him all of their money. He'll screw over his creditors knowing he has cash coming in after his parents die.

badger
1/9/2014, 11:56 AM
Do you see the Texans being able to trade down a few spots to get him? Keep that whole Texas-tie thing going? Do they really covet Bridgewater or the UCF guy?

Or perhaps, do they need to stay at No. 1 to guarantee picking Johnny

Mjcpr
1/9/2014, 12:01 PM
Do you see the Texans being able to trade down a few spots to get him? Keep that whole Texas-tie thing going? Do they really covet Bridgewater or the UCF guy?

Or perhaps, do they need to stay at No. 1 to guarantee picking Johnny

That would take some large balls to draft that knucklehad #1 overall.

badger
1/9/2014, 12:03 PM
That would take some large balls to draft that knucklehad #1 overall.

The Texans need to cater to a knucklehead area fanbase. Can you imagine the fan wrath if whoever they draft instead of an Aggie (either that stud o-lineman projected high or Manziel) turns into a dud.

Hell, I guess they'd be raging regardless if their drafted guy was a dud, but still...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2014, 12:06 PM
I have no doubt he will be drafted high, I was just wondering what you thought of his pro prospects? I don't think he will make a good pro but I don't know anything so I figured I would ask you.

Truthfully, I think he works out to be a pretty good QB depending on where he goes... He could end up in the same backfield with AD with them looking hard at the 49er OC as head coach..incorporate zone read..He extends plays well, throws a nice ball with arm strength being better than what a lot of people say.. I also think he could have success at Jacksonville..

Whoever picks him will have to tailor to his strengths like the seahawks did with Wilson..I don't think he is plug and play anywhere, but anytime you get a player who can extend plays like he can, it's a major plus.

And I will also say this..The offense that he ran at aTm prepares him well for the league..It's not a half read system, he has to read the entire field which bodes well for him.

I would also say he needs to go somewhere with a veteran QB on staff.. Someone to talk to him when he comes off the field during games and off of the field for just life itself..

All in all, I think he ends up being a good NFL QB.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2014, 12:07 PM
If the Texans don't take Bridgewater, I'll be shocked..Mainly because they have the pieces in place to make a playoff run now at several positions and TB is the best first day ready QB in the draft.

Mjcpr
1/9/2014, 12:08 PM
Truthfully, I think he works out to be a pretty good QB depending on where he goes... He could end up in the same backfield with AD with them looking hard at the 49er OC as head coach..incorporate zone read..He extends plays well, throws a nice ball with arm strength being better than what a lot of people say.. I also think he could have success at Jacksonville..

Whoever picks him will have to tailor to his strengths like the seahawks did with Wilson..I don't think he is plug and play anywhere, but anytime you get a player who can extend plays like he can, it's a major plus.

And I will also say this..The offense that he ran at aTm prepares him well for the league..It's not a half read system, he has to read the entire field which bodes well for him.

I would also say he needs to go somewhere with a veteran QB on staff.. Someone to talk to him when he comes off the field during games and off of the field for just life itself..

That's surprising....thanks for your analysis.

SoonerorLater
1/9/2014, 01:36 PM
I think Manziel will add a lot of excitement to the game right up until the time they have to cart him off the field.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2014, 02:34 PM

He'll do best where they have tall receivers. He throws a very accurate over the shoulder moon ball. If he goes some place like Chicago or Detroit he'll have incredible success.

Mjcpr
1/9/2014, 03:17 PM
He'll do best where they have tall receivers. He throws a very accurate over the shoulder moon ball. If he goes some place like Chicago or Detroit he'll have incredible success.

I'm not sure why they would draft him....I would think he'd go way before either of them draft and Detroit already has a turnover machine at QB. He could go to Jacksonville and throw it to the former aggy whenever he is out of rehab. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2014, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he is drafted by the Texans and they chew him up and spit him out like they have with 2 other QBs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2014, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure why they would draft him....I would think he'd go way before either of them draft and Detroit already has a turnover machine at QB. He could go to Jacksonville and throw it to the former aggy whenever he is out of rehab. :D

Stafford is this generations version of Jeff George.

I don't think he'll get to a team that is a good fit either. I'm just saying that those teams would allow him to get away with his jump ball and drop in the bucket throws. Honestly, the team that should be the most excited is St Louis. They might get another Redskins type deal out of him.