PDA

View Full Version : Winston tossed from final practice...

swardboy
1/8/2014, 11:54 AM
I can't imagine this remotely happening under Stoops...

By The Sports Xchange16 hours agoThe SportsXchange

Quarterback Jameis Winston cemented his legacy when he guided Florida State on a game-winning touchdown drive in the last two minutes of Monday's BCS National Championship Game.The irony is that Winston was booted out of the Seminoles' final practice in Tallahassee leading up to the battle with Auburn because of his inattentiveness regarding the two-minute drill.

Jimbo Fisher sent Winston to the locker room on Dec. 30, the coach acknowledged in a Tuesday press conference in Newport Beach, Calif.

"The mindset that you have to have, which he had all year, I just saw it drifting," Fisher said of the Tallahassee incident. "He waited for me to get off the field and we had a long discussion and we had it out. He's an unbelievable guy to be able to process and transition and go right back. ..."He learned from it, he grew from it, and I grew from it. I grow from those situations how I handle it every time with those guys, too. Wish you didn't have to do it, but I think it just made our relationship that much stronger and we understand each other that much more."

Winston experienced no difficulties in the two-minute drill Monday night.The Heisman Trophy-winning redshirt freshman completed six of seven passes for 77 yards on the Seminoles' 80-yard drive, capping it with a 2-yard scoring pass to wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin. The touchdown with 13 seconds remaining lifted Florida State to a 34-31 victory.

"That drive, like I say, it really wasn't about me," Winston said. "He kicked me out of practice, and we won that game in (the) two-minute (drill)."

Position Limit
1/8/2014, 11:58 AM
whatever his coaching method is with winston, i am not one to question. seems to be working well..

winout
1/8/2014, 12:45 PM
I think he go bailed out by that 50 yard catch and run when the 2 auburn defenders knocked each other off the receiver. I have serious doubts they would have scored w/o that big play.

rock on sooner
1/8/2014, 01:36 PM
Could be that the gravity of the situation created enough adrenalin
to heighten his focus and muscle memory took over......:rolleyes:

swardboy
1/8/2014, 02:20 PM
Is it true that none of Winston's throws were over 3 yards past the line of scrimmage in that final drive?