PDA

View Full Version : Mixon...4 star

Soonerjeepman
1/7/2014, 05:08 PM
okay, so espn has him as a 4 star and #9 RB...I thought he was a 5* and #1 RB and #9 OVERALL...?

guess since he committed to OU and not an sec school he isn't that great...:jaded:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2014, 05:17 PM
There are 3 different systems -> Rivals, Insiders, ESPN. ESPN for a long time was done by Tom Lemming who was biased towards East Coast kids (especially ND targets).

8timechamps
1/7/2014, 05:53 PM
ESPN is the only one of the big 3 that have him rated as a 4 star. Rivals and Scout both have him a 5.

I think Rival has him as the #5 RB, and Scout has him as the #1 overall RB.

Again, there is no exact science to this, but Mixon's rating didn't change after he committed.

SoonerorLater
1/8/2014, 04:48 PM
:applouse:Since he's not a 5* on ESPN I wonder if OU should pull the offer?

picasso
1/8/2014, 05:25 PM
I'd say that's a plus of ESPN undervalues you.

KantoSooner
1/8/2014, 05:28 PM
I can understand it: when he didn't commit to an SEC team, he immediately lost about 0.3 seconds in his forty time and his hands became arthritic. It happens that way. The SEC, they have mad powers.

oupride
1/11/2014, 10:13 PM
I can understand it: when he didn't commit to an SEC team, he immediately lost about 0.3 seconds in his forty time and his hands became arthritic. It happens that way. The SEC, they have mad powers.
lol

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 10:48 AM
ESPN is the only one of the big 3 that have him rated as a 4 star. Rivals and Scout both have him a 5.

I think Rival has him as the #5 RB, and Scout has him as the #1 overall RB.

Again, there is no exact science to this, but Mixon's rating didn't change after he committed.

I know I was just being sarcastic... ;-)

okiewaker
1/14/2014, 10:53 AM
Whatever Star he is hopefully he pans out. I think he will. I was watching some YouTube videos of him,,,,he sorta reminds me of Reggie Bush.

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 11:02 AM
yeah not a big "star" guy, I do look at who else is recruiting the kid...but Mixon def looks good.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 06:18 PM
I read something on ESPN Recruiting Nation last night that leads me to believe they'll add a fifth star to Mixon. I thought that was kind humorous, because at this point, what does it matter?

Widescreen
1/14/2014, 06:34 PM
It probably matters to the players. Seems like McNamara lost a star after the all-star game. I'm sure that didn't make him too happy.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 06:41 PM
It probably matters to the players. Seems like McNamara lost a star after the all-star game. I'm sure that didn't make him too happy.

I'm talking about kids that are already committed, especially this close to NSD. I can't understand why ESPN would even bother.

I'm sure the kids would like it (being 18 years old, that's the stuff that's appealing), and I could see a player's interest if it were early in the process, and they hadn't committed, but otherwise, I have no idea why they would bother.

ouwasp
1/16/2014, 04:02 PM
Whatever Star he is hopefully he pans out. I think he will. I was watching some YouTube videos of him,,,,he sorta reminds me of Reggie Bush.

Yeah, I bet we all hope for that. I don't get too caught up in recruiting, although it is interesting to see who goes where. But I remember seeing a vid of J Calhoun and thinking the guy looked like another Billy Sims! But he was not.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/20/2014, 01:01 AM
I read something on ESPN Recruiting Nation last night that leads me to believe they'll add a fifth star to Mixon. I thought that was kind humorous, because at this point, what does it matter?Well, higher star values helps the overall rating of the recruiting class, and that could potentially influence other recruits that still haven't signed LOI. Lower values could have the opposite effect on recruiting. Prolly doesn't mean much, but if it helps get one kid we want, then it's important.

Eielson
1/20/2014, 01:25 AM
It matters to the recruiting services to make the switch, because if they don't, they might look dumb a few years later when we're checking back to see how good of a job they did.

Scott D
1/20/2014, 02:18 PM
I'm talking about kids that are already committed, especially this close to NSD. I can't understand why ESPN would even bother.

I'm sure the kids would like it (being 18 years old, that's the stuff that's appealing), and I could see a player's interest if it were early in the process, and they hadn't committed, but otherwise, I have no idea why they would bother.

From what ESPN said, it had more to do with being "final evaluations" post all-star games.

badger
1/20/2014, 02:24 PM
He sounds like a solid committment, so they can give him 0 stars for all I care. If the kid cares, then HOW DARE THEY TAKE HIS FIFTH STAR, but I assume he doesn't.

They quoted him talking up the past freshmen that got solid playing time (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/ou/ou-sports-joe-mixon-sounds-ready-to-seize-his-opportunity/article_1f3f747c-81ea-11e3-94fa-0019bb30f31a.html). We definitely were blessed the day Demarco and the day Adrian committed, because we'll be able to pitch their successes in college and pro for years :D

"It's a proven fact that a lot of freshmen that come in, they get to play, especially if you're a great player, like 'AD' (Adrian Peterson) and DeMarco (Murray) were," Mixon told James Hale on KREF SportsTalk 1400 last Friday. "DeMarco came all the way from Vegas, 'AD' came from Texas, and they came in as true freshmen and Coach (Cale) Gundy got them ready.

"That's pretty much what kind of role I want to come into. I want to come in early, and I want to do work my freshman year."

and yes, they note that DM7 was a redshirt froshie, not true like AD

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2014, 12:01 AM
and yes, they note that DM7 was a redshirt froshie, not true like AD

Although the redshirt was reported to be due to injury (surprise). Turf toe, as I recall.

picasso
1/21/2014, 12:17 AM
I like he says he wants to do work.

8timechamps
1/21/2014, 12:26 AM
Well, higher star values helps the overall rating of the recruiting class, and that could potentially influence other recruits that still haven't signed LOI. Lower values could have the opposite effect on recruiting. Prolly doesn't mean much, but if it helps get one kid we want, then it's important.

Recruits don't care what the overall ranking of the class is on a recruiting service. They may be interested, but it has nothing to do with committing to OU or anywhere else.

Contrary to popular belief (not specifically talking to you RLIMC), recruits aren't swayed by fans, twitter comments, recruiting service projections, etc. In the end, it's about their relationship with the coaching staff, family input, facilities, playing time, proximity to home, academics and tradition/consistency. Not every recruit cares about every one of those things, but that list encompasses 99% of what goes into a recruits decision.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/21/2014, 01:00 AM
Recruits don't care what the overall ranking of the class is on a recruiting service. They may be interested, but it has nothing to do with committing to OU or anywhere else.

Contrary to popular belief (not specifically talking to you RLIMC), recruits aren't swayed by fans, twitter comments, recruiting service projections, etc. In the end, it's about their relationship with the coaching staff, family input, facilities, playing time, proximity to home, academics and tradition/consistency. Not every recruit cares about every one of those things, but that list encompasses 99% of what goes into a recruits decision.Agree, and understandable. That's why i said "prolly doesn't mean much, but". On a rare occasion, it might, and, certainly is a good thing.