Florida: 1996, 2006, 2008
Florida State: 1993, 1999, 2013

20 from the Southeast/Florida since 1983; those listed, plus:
Georgia Tech: 1990
Alabama: 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012
Tennessee: 1998
LSU: 2003, 2007
Auburn: 2010

Fortunately for us, Stoops recruits Florida and Georgia, and has had success in Louisiana as well. Texas' new coach Charlie Strong coached many years in Florida (16 total seasons with the Gators, plus one with Ole Miss and three more with South Carolina); will open that region for the Longhorns as well.

I'll say it again - the South is where the speed and talent is. Texas is fine to cherry pick. But, only one Texas school national title since 1970. Southwest Conference, all Texas schools with rosters full of Texas preps = extinct. SEC has grown, SWC went out of business. Tell me where the talent is.

picasso
1/7/2014, 12:24 PM
You can't handle Florida speed.
-miami fan to us, '07

badger
1/7/2014, 12:33 PM
It's the way the population is shifting. California is still the biggest (lovely heaven on earth utopia of awesomeness) in the U.S., but Texas and now Florida are second and third (in your face New York!). I like that we have pipelines to all three, and are conveniently located near one and halfway between the other two. Someday, perhaps we will have a lightrail that will take recruits directly to us from both sides of the country. Till then, they can "flyover" and just stop and stay awhile :D

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2014, 12:42 PM
It's the way the population is shifting. California is still the biggest (cluster****) in the U.S., but Texas and now Florida are second and third (in your face New York!). I like that we have pipelines to all three, and are conveniently located near one and halfway between the other two. Someday, perhaps we will have a lightrail that will take recruits directly to us from both sides of the country. Till then, they can "flyover" and just stop and stay awhile :D

Yes. I think Florida/Georgia are #1 in terms of best prep players. Texas is #2. And, I think, California is #3.

If you add Cali schools into the equation, you are still only looking at one national title for all Cali schools since 1983...and, further back than that to 1978 since a Cali school won an outright national title (USC split with LSU in 2003, had their 2004 taken away for cheating). And...

...as all good Sooner fans know, 1978 was ours but for Billy Sims' fumble against Nebraska in the regular season contest! Doh, Billy! Still remember sitting in the living room, aged nine, and crying over that one. That was a tough loss.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 01:23 PM
It's the way the population is shifting. California is still the biggest (cluster****) in the U.S., but Texas and now Florida are second and third (in your face New York!). I like that we have pipelines to all three, and are conveniently located near one and halfway between the other two. Someday, perhaps we will have a lightrail that will take recruits directly to us from both sides of the country. Till then, they can "flyover" and just stop and stay awhile :D

As a former Oklahoman, who moved a la the Dust Bowl only 40 years later, my adopted state of California is a great place to live, all in all. Whereas my ties to Oklahoma are tenuous at best (with only one relative still there), I am a proud OU grad and Sooner supporter.

But, all in all, I'd have to say, Oklahoma is a great place to be FROM.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm out here on the left coast as well and I really like it. I would like it a whole lot more if half the people here would pack up and move.. to places like say, Oklahoma that has lots of open spaces :) But I wouldn't wish that on you guys, let's change that to Kansas and on north to Canada :D

BigTip
1/7/2014, 01:42 PM
Oh geez. Don't point out how successful the state of Florida has been to ESPN. Now that their precious SEC has taken a hit and become a little flacid I am sure they are looking for another "invincable" entity to put a liplock on their man parts. And that little dangling state might look appealing to them already.

picasso
1/7/2014, 01:52 PM
As a former Oklahoman, who moved a la the Dust Bowl only 40 years later, my adopted state of California is a great place to live, all in all. Whereas my ties to Oklahoma are tenuous at best (with only one relative still there), I am a proud OU grad and Sooner supporter.

That's a nice thing to say on an Oklahoma board.
I moved back here from New Mexico years ago to be near family and to look after my parents.
I'm glad I came back.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 01:54 PM
Badger started it. You can't call one state a cluster**** without raising some ire. It's not like Oklahoma is a paradise. I mean, it's not as bat**** crazy as Kansas, but the football's better.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 01:55 PM
Oh, and you're welcome for Jalen Saunders, Brennan Clay, Tony Jefferson, Kenny Stills and Jamelle Holieway.

picasso
1/7/2014, 02:00 PM
Badger started it. You can't call one state a cluster**** without raising some ire. It's not like Oklahoma is a paradise. I mean, it's not as bat**** crazy as Kansas, but the football's better.
So you're saying you're 12 years old?
Ok.

freshchris05
1/7/2014, 02:02 PM
lol

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 02:06 PM
Badger started it. You can't call one state a cluster**** without raising some ire. It's not like Oklahoma is a paradise. I mean, it's not as bat**** crazy as Kansas, but the football's
better.

It is rather humerous to see somebody living in California calling another state crazy. I chuckled. BTW, when California finally goes bankrupt and implodes we will be glad to accept all former Okies back. So you have that going for you. Of course you may be annexed by Mexico by that time and you may not be able to come back legally.

picasso
1/7/2014, 02:10 PM
I've noticed this attitude by many folks who have moved out of state, my sister included. All the while ignoring the minuses of where they ended up. My sister seems oblivious to the mulleted plaid shirt wearing rednecks in Maryland.
I've been all over Cali and I have relatives who live on the hill in Oakland. California is beautiful but no place is perfect. Thanks.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 02:23 PM
It is rather humerous to see somebody living in California calling another state crazy. I chuckled. BTW, when California finally goes bankrupt and implodes we will be glad to accept all former Okies back. So you have that going for you. Of course you may be annexed by Mexico by that time and you may not be able to come back legally.

Careful. We'll bring gay marriage and liberal sh*t you Okies can't deal with back with us. :tongue:

I've enjoyed living in OKC,Norman,Boulder and now northern Cali. They all have their pluses and minuses.

jkjsooner
1/7/2014, 02:23 PM
Miami: 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001
Florida: 1996, 2006, 2008
Florida State: 1993, 1999, 2013

20 from the Southeast/Florida since 1983; those listed, plus:
Georgia Tech: 1990
Alabama: 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012
Tennessee: 1998
LSU: 2003, 2007
Auburn: 2010

Fortunately for us, Stoops recruits Florida and Georgia, and has had success in Louisiana as well. Texas' new coach Charlie Strong coached many years in Florida (16 total seasons with the Gators, plus one with Ole Miss and three more with South Carolina); will open that region for the Longhorns as well.

I'll say it again - the South is where the speed and talent is. Texas is fine to cherry pick. But, only one Texas school national title since 1970. Southwest Conference, all Texas schools with rosters full of Texas preps = extinct. SEC has grown, SWC went out of business. Tell me where the talent is.

We're not going to build a roster with kids from Florida or the south. We can go after the ones we have a shot at but the meat of our team will always be Texas and Oklahoma guys. The same applies to Texas. By expecting them to go compete for the talent in the SW and recruit fewer Texas players is asking them to voluntarily give up the huge advantage that they have.

There is plenty of talent in Texas. If you can lock up most of the top tier talent in that state and coach them up you can compete with any Florida or SEC team.

Texas's biggest problem recently has been the lack of a good QB and they've missed out on some really good QB's out of Texas that would have loved to go to UT. Brown gets too much of the blame for that because no coach is going to identify every player who turns out to be fantastic.

As for the SWC, as good as Texas football is there isn't enough talent to sustain and top-tier conference with eight Texas schools. It was also harder to keep kids in state considering almost all of their games were in the state of Texas and they didn't get as much national exposure. But neither of these are the reason the conference folded. It was about money, TV revenues, etc. and it didn't help that SMU had the issues they had.

badger
1/7/2014, 02:28 PM
Oh man guys, please lighten up, I didn't mean anything bad by it. I promise I would laugh if you all said mean things about Wisconsin or Oklahoma, even though I love both of my home states dearly. Your state has too many fat people (yes it does) because your beef is so delicious (yes it is). Your state loves football way too much and gets way too upset when you lose in the postseason (yes we do). Your state is freezing cold and your winters are brutal (yes they are).

Which state was I talking about? Doesn't matter, love em both.

PS: To show there is no hard feelings, a new avatar profile and sig for you Cali's :D

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:49 PM

California isn't going to go bankrupt and implode. Oklahoma will if the federal government ever cuts off funding. And as for being annexed by Mexico, that's happening to the whole country. Texas included, if I have to include them as one of the fifty states.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:52 PM
I've noticed this attitude by many folks who have moved out of state, my sister included. All the while ignoring the minuses of where they ended up. My sister seems oblivious to the mulleted plaid shirt wearing rednecks in Maryland.
I've been all over Cali and I have relatives who live on the hill in Oakland. California is beautiful but no place is perfect. Thanks.

California is not perfect. In fact, the San Joaquin Valley, where I live, and the primary industries are agriculture and oil drilling, has terrible air quality. We have earthquakes (but I hear Oklahoma is having that problem now too...fracking, anyone?) but very few tornadoes. Lots of fresh seafood, terrific scenery both natural and human-type, huge tech industry, entertainment industry, lots to like out here. It can be a bit crowded at times, but it's also nearing 70 degrees today as I'm typing this.

As another poster noted, no place is perfect. But we're working on it.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:53 PM
Oh man guys, please lighten up, I didn't mean anything bad by it. I promise I would laugh if you all said mean things about Wisconsin or Oklahoma, even though I love both of my home states dearly. Your state has too many fat people (yes it does) because your beef is so delicious (yes it is). Your state loves football way too much and gets way too upset when you lose in the postseason (yes we do). Your state is freezing cold and your winters are brutal (yes they are).

Which state was I talking about? Doesn't matter, love em both.

PS: To show there is no hard feelings, a new avatar profile and sig for you Cali's :D

I know it's good natured joshing, though whatever Wisconsin is doing with human homonculus Scott Walker as governor I'll never figure out. Plus Paul Ryan? The mind boggles.

Well, time to knock this off before it gets locked down and moved to the oval.

BigTip
1/7/2014, 02:54 PM
I promise I would laugh if you all said mean things about Wisconsin
Here ya go:

You know you're from Wisconsin when:

Your whole family wears green and gold to church on Sunday.

Snow tires come standard on all your cars.

You refer to the Packers as "we."

You have gotten frost-bitten and sunburned in the same week.

You can identify an Illinois accent.

You know what cow-tipping is.

Down South to you means Chicago.

Travelling coast to coast means going from LaCrosse to Milwaukee.

A brat is something you eat.

You have no problem spelling Milwaukee.

You consider Madison exotic.

You don't have a coughing fit from one sip of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

You can actually pronounce Oconomowoc.

You know what a bubbler is.

You go out for fish fry every Friday.

You can recognize someone from Illinois from their driving.

You know how to polka.

You drink soda and refer to your dad as "pop."

Formal wear is blue jeans and a baseball cap.

Your 4th of July Family Picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You know where Waukesha is AND can pronounce it.

You can visit Luxembourg, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Berlin, New London, and Poland all in one afternoon.

You design your Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit.

You've seen mosquitoes with landing lights.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You enjoy driving in the winter because the potholes fill in with snow.

Your sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie.

You owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car.

At least twice a year, your kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.

Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.

You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.

You find 0 degrees a little chilly.

You know what to do with a Blatz.

You have worn shorts and a parka at the same time,

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:54 PM
Oh, and Badge? Go Niners! You can keep your minus 49 degree temps...even if you guys stole Aaron Rodgers from Cal.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:55 PM
Oakland, despite its great history (Jack London and all) is an embarrassment. It's Stillwater with ocean access.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 02:56 PM
So you're saying you're 12 years old?
Ok.

Of course I am. But what are you? :beguiled:

badger
1/7/2014, 02:58 PM
Oh, and Badge? Go Niners! You can keep your minus 49 degree temps...even if you guys stole Aaron Rodgers from Cal.

Pbbbth, your Niners drafted Alex Smith instead Wodgers Discount Double check, as you may recall. We didn't steal sh!t... unless, of course, you want to say that you stole Wisconsin native Colin Kaepernick from us.

I am rethinking my good will avatar. Red McCombs seems more funny right about today:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/16/00/slideshow_1001665781_jwj_Statues_0281.jpg
My profile can then read "Red hates Black" :mack: Hook em

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 03:04 PM
California isn't going to go bankrupt and implode. Oklahoma will if the federal government ever cuts off funding. And as for being annexed by Mexico, that's happening to the whole country. Texas included, if I have to include them as one of the fifty states.

LOL. Keep telling yourself that. California has about $100 billion dollars in unfunded pesions the state government is on the hook for. At some point the bill is coming due. California state and municipal bonds have the lowest rating of any in the country per Moody and S&P rating agenices. Until Detroit declared bankruptcy California (i.e. Stockton)cities were the biggest cities in the country to declare bankruptcy.

Professionals are leaving your state at an incredible rate. I get 3 unsolicited e-mails a week from physician recruiters trying to recruit pediatricians to California. But don't take my word for it. Check with your state medical board. They have declared a looming crisis in primary care in California within the next 5 years.

California has the fastest growth of income inequality in the nation. It has been ranked the worst state in the nation for businesses. It has the highest state and local taxes. It has a growing underclass that is unmatched even by some of your fellow liberal bastions like Illinois. You have a lying loon for agovenor(Moonbeam Brown is an apt name for him). Your state legislature just mandated bathrooms for gender confused grade schoolers.

Californians have no ****ing room to criticize anoher state.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 03:07 PM
Okay, Kaepernick was born in Wisconsin but grew up in California. And plays pro ball here.

Honestly, I'd take either Rodgers or Kaepernick as a QB. Smith...not so much. Dark days for the Niners back then...but almost had to have some letdown after Montana and Young, you know?

picasso
1/7/2014, 03:07 PM
Of course I am. But what are you? :beguiled:

I love sarcasm as much as anyone but when you say Oklahoma is a nice place to be FROM, it might be offensive to I dunno....
Perhaps I'm a little more sensitive right now because my father passed last month. He was originally from small town Barnsdall and raised us in small town Hominy. He was an expert in the oil business and actually turned down a prime job in Scotland devades ago because he loved Osage County.
I guess I have a different perspective now.

picasso
1/7/2014, 03:08 PM
California is not perfect. In fact, the San Joaquin Valley, where I live, and the primary industries are agriculture and oil drilling, has terrible air quality. We have earthquakes (but I hear Oklahoma is having that problem now too...fracking, anyone?) but very few tornadoes. Lots of fresh seafood, terrific scenery both natural and human-type, huge tech industry, entertainment industry, lots to like out here. It can be a bit crowded at times, but it's also nearing 70 degrees today as I'm typing this.

As another poster noted, no place is perfect. But we're working on it.
We drove all through there up to the Bay area in '97. Loved every minute of it!

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 03:10 PM
LOL. Keep telling yourself that. California has about $100 billion dollars in unfunded pesions the state government is on the hook for. At some point the bill is coming due. .

Yes, and we'll just vote ourselves your federal tax dollars to bail us out. Haven't you been around long enough to know how this works?

:excitement:

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, and we'll just vote ourselves your federal tax dollars to bail us out. Haven't you been around long enough to know how this works?

:excitement:

And Texas will override your vote. If there are any Californians with a lick of sense all they need to do is look at Where Detroit was 30 years ago and where it is now. California is following the same gameplan.

and oh, I was wrong about the unfunded pension liabilities. It is over $200 billion. My bad.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/07/08/california-pension-debt-spikes.html

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 03:17 PM
And Texas will override your vote. If there are any Californians with a lick of sense all they need to do is look at Where Detroit was 30 years ago and where it is now. California is following the same gameplan.

Okies are so easy to rile, I should pick a more challenging target. I'm JOKING, dude. I was born and raised in OKLA, life has just taking me to another path. Every place has it's challenges both now and going forward and we're all in it together as I see it.

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 03:23 PM
Okies are so easy to rile, I should pick a more challenging target. I'm JOKING, dude. I was born and raised in OKLA, life has just taking me to another path. Every place has it's challenges both now and going forward and we're all in it together as I see it.

My comments weren't directed at you. It is just irritating to deal with the smug attitude from people who preceive their community and state to be more prosperous and enlightened when much of that prosperity was built on a foundation of quicksand via overspending and wreckless spending policies by your politicians.

i know you were kidding but people like cv fail to see the huge cesspool they are leaving their kids and grandkids to deal with long after they are gone.

badger
1/7/2014, 03:28 PM
Can't we all just hate Texas like the good ol' days? :(

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 03:36 PM

Ditto.

hawaii 5-0
1/7/2014, 03:43 PM
In Hawaii I wear Oklahoma stuff regularly and often a passerby will go, "Go Sooners" to me.

Boomer ! !

5-0

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 03:49 PM
My comments weren't directed at you. It is just irritating to deal with the smug attitude from people who preceive their community and state to be more prosperous and enlightened when much of that prosperity was built on a foundation of quicksand via overspending and wreckless spending policies by your politicians.

i know you were kidding but people like cv fail to see the huge cesspool they are leaving their kids and grandkids to deal with long after they are gone.

Sheesh. California's pension liabilities are over 77 percent funded. Oklahoma is at 67 percent. Annual GDP: Oklahoma, $167 million. California, $2 billion (with a b).

Somehow I think we'll be okay. All the liabilities will not come due simultaneously.

It's like this: you earn $40K per year and you buy a house at $120K. You will have to pay back about $350K or so on a 30 year mortgage.

Somebody else earning $80K per annum buys a $200K house. They'll have to pay $600K on a 30 year.

Who's worse off financially? Well, both, if they lose the income.

But assuming no raises in income, the $40K earner will earn $1.2 million in 30 years and after paying off the liabilities (mortgage), has $850K left, plus the house.

The $80K earner has earned $2.4 million and has $1.8 million left over, plus the house.

Okay? I'm done with this topic.

Oh, and the Chargers and the Niners are still in the playoffs. Take that, Texas.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2014, 04:27 PM
Oh, and you're welcome for Jalen Saunders, Brennan Clay, Tony Jefferson, Kenny Stills and Jamelle Holieway.

Uh...you can probably have Jamelle back now. I believe Stanley Wilson was from out there as well...and, went back there after his NFL career kind of...ended the way it did.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2014, 04:34 PM
We're not going to build a roster with kids from Florida or the south. We can go after the ones we have a shot at but the meat of our team will always be Texas and Oklahoma guys. The same applies to Texas. By expecting them to go compete for the talent in the SW and recruit fewer Texas players is asking them to voluntarily give up the huge advantage that they have.

There is plenty of talent in Texas. If you can lock up most of the top tier talent in that state and coach them up you can compete with any Florida or SEC team.

Texas's biggest problem recently has been the lack of a good QB and they've missed out on some really good QB's out of Texas that would have loved to go to UT. Brown gets too much of the blame for that because no coach is going to identify every player who turns out to be fantastic.

As for the SWC, as good as Texas football is there isn't enough talent to sustain and top-tier conference with eight Texas schools. It was also harder to keep kids in state considering almost all of their games were in the state of Texas and they didn't get as much national exposure. But neither of these are the reason the conference folded. It was about money, TV revenues, etc. and it didn't help that SMU had the issues they had.

I'm not suggesting that entire rosters out this way be filled to Florida kids. What I am saying is, the great weight of evidence shows that Texas (and California) schools have had far less college football success than the Florida schools...and schools from that region as well.

You're talking Texas in 2005 for Texas schools and USC in 1978, plus their split title with LSU in 2003 over a span of more than 30 seasons.

What I'm saying is that, given this evidence, you'd be crazy to keep stockpiling only Texas preps the way Mack Brown did.

We are fortunate in that we've always been a school that goes nationwide. Of course Texas is important. But, we've pulled a tons of talent over the decades from Florida, California, and all points in between.

I think the Texas and Cali schools are pretty arrogant to think they can just stick to what they have and succeed. It is clearly evident that they haven't been successful with that blueprint.

And, again, I think Charlie Strong opens up the Southeast to Texas due his 20 years in the SEC and four in Kentucky with Louisville. He's not going to be a stranger to those high school programs.

Hell, even Mack was in Florida during his final week at UT head coach trying to reel in a linebacker. He saw the light too late.

badger
In Hawaii I wear Oklahoma stuff regularly and often a passerby will go, "Go Sooners" to me.

Boomer ! !

5-0

I tend to wear OU gear out of state just for fun and I'll get the random "Boomer." How can you not reply "Sooner" to that? :D

DCsooner22
Wow.... the day after the MNC game, and it's REALLY easy to see it's the offseason already.... talking state smack.

I'll get in on it - anyone care to razz on DC for a while? I'd like to buy in the city, but $370,000 for an 800 sq. ft apartment (b/c I refuse to live in the 'hood or the 'burbs) just isn't feasible for a biologist's salary these days. Also, there's that whole "taxation without representation thing..."

However, if Marine GEO come through soon, I'll be relocating to Hawaii in the fall and join you, 5-0.

What does this have to do with Florida, the southeast and football...? I can't remember....

Hey, we beat Alabama - that was awesome.

:very_drunk: (that's supposed to be "Cheers")
Mike

badger
1/7/2014, 04:37 PM
talking state smack.

I'll get in on it - anyone care to razz on DC for a while?

No, because you aren't a part of the United States. You have to be a state to be in the US of A. That's what the S stands for, stupid. :P

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 04:42 PM
Wow.... the day after the MNC game, and it's REALLY easy to see it's the offseason already.... talking state smack.

I'll get in on it - anyone care to razz on DC for a while? I'd like to buy in the city, but $370,000 for an 800 sq. ft apartment (b/c I refuse to live in the 'hood or the 'burbs) just isn't feasible for a biologist's salary these days. Also, there's that whole "taxation without representation thing..."

However, if Marine GEO come through soon, I'll be relocating to Hawaii in the fall and join you, 5-0.

What does this have to do with Florida, the southeast and football...? I can't remember....

Hey, we beat Alabama - that was awesome.

:very_drunk: (that's supposed to be "Cheers")
Mike

$370 for an 800 sq ft apartment? Man, I would kill for that. The 485' studio (no bedroom) adjacent to where I live went for $450k last month. Wish we had your kind of bargains out here!

DCsooner22
1/7/2014, 05:01 PM
No, because you aren't a part of the United States. You have to be a state to be in the US of A. That's what the S stands for, stupid. :P

HA! Nice catch on a technicality...

$370 for an 800 sq ft apartment? Man, I would kill for that. The 485' studio (no bedroom) adjacent to where I live went for $450k last month. Wish we had your kind of bargains out here!

You must live near San Fran (Palo Alto?)... I believe cost of living goes San Fran > Manhattan (not Kansas...) > DC, or something close to that. Brutal, isn't it...?

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 05:08 PM
HA! Nice catch on a technicality...

You must live near San Fran (Palo Alto?)... I believe cost of living goes San Fran > Manhattan (not Kansas...) > DC, or something close to that. Brutal, isn't it...?

Palo Alto. Great place if I had had the foresight to be born rich or the skill to become rich. At least I know a lot of rich people.

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 05:47 PM
Sheesh. California's pension liabilities are over 77 percent funded. Oklahoma is at 67 percent. Annual GDP: Oklahoma, $167 million. California, $2 billion (with a b).

Somehow I think we'll be okay. All the liabilities will not come due simultaneously.

It's like this: you earn $40K per year and you buy a house at $120K. You will have to pay back about $350K or so on a 30 year mortgage.

Somebody else earning $80K per annum buys a $200K house. They'll have to pay $600K on a 30 year.

Who's worse off financially? Well, both, if they lose the income.

But assuming no raises in income, the $40K earner will earn $1.2 million in 30 years and after paying off the liabilities (mortgage), has $850K left, plus the house.

The $80K earner has earned $2.4 million and has $1.8 million left over, plus the house.

Okay? I'm done with this topic.

Oh, and the Chargers and the Niners are still in the playoffs. Take that, Texas.

You're just flat out wrong on your unfunded liability claim for California. I have never read any claims that support that figure. None. If California is in such good shape financially why are so many of your cities declaring or on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? And why are Cali's tax rates so high? I mean if you are in such good shape financially I would expect the Dems in control of Sacremento to give the hard working tax payers of the state a break.

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 05:55 PM
A few links for your perusal cv.
http://www.npr.org/news/specials/2009/california-crisis/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StatelineorgRss-EconomyBusiness+(Stateline.org+RSS+-+Economy+%26+Business)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro/2012/09/05/broken-california-wasting-money-and-hurting-business/

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/355023/detroits-bankrupt-california-next-ian-tuttle

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2013/07/08/jerry-brown-stands-atop-californias-collapsing-house-of-cards/

I can supply a lot more.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 06:10 PM
You're just flat out wrong on your unfunded liability claim for California. I have never read any claims that support that figure. None. If California is in such good shape financially why are so many of your cities declaring or on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? And why are Cali's tax rates so high? I mean if you are in such good shape financially I would expect the Dems in control of Sacremento to give the hard working tax payers of the state a break.

Unfunded liabilities:

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-pension-funds-retirement-systems-unfunded-liabilities-obligations-data.html

So many of our cities declaring or on the verge? Three is 'so many'?

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/municipal-cities-counties-bankruptcies-and-defaults.html

Our tax burden is middle of the pack:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/ff2013.pdf

The tax burden in Oklahoma would be a lot worse if people there had to carry the full freight. Oklahoma, like essentially all of the Southern states, receives more in federal spending than they pay in taxes. Whereas California pays more in taxes than we receive in spending. If we ever wake up and cut that off...I can already hear the yelling.

An awful lot of this is trash-talking envy and/or negative recruiting. The facts don't bear it out, but hey, whatever you want to believe. Beware people who scream of 'debt!' and 'deficit!' My experience is they're usually extremely well off financially and are more interested in slashing pay and benefits for the people who earned them, and to try to get them to 'invest' the money in risky markets they control, or seek to control.

I mean it this time: I really am done with this topic in this forum.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 06:11 PM
Forbes? National Review? People who want to cut benefits and pay? I rest my case.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 06:12 PM
The NPR series is five years old...during the worst of the financial crisis. Things have changed a bit since then, you know?

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 06:13 PM
Fan: your signature has more than a touch of irony in it, considering your commentary.

FaninAma
1/7/2014, 06:34 PM
The taxfoundation.org website you provided ranked California 48th in terms of tax burden meaning it has one of the worst tax burdens in the country. It's state income tax is 11%.

The link to the California state government budget website is laughable. Forbes and other financial experts have shown how Moonbeam Brown's claim of having a budget surplus is fraud.

California cities that have declared bankruptcy:Stockton, San Bernadino, Vallejo and Mamouth Lakes. Compton will probably follow. How many cities in Oklahoma can you list that have done the same.

i am not shocked that somebody who fails to grasp the problems with a state government over-taxing, over-spending and over-regulating its citizens would have a hard time grasping the meaning of my signature.

BTw, I find it sad that Moonbeam plans on spending more on his little pet project bullet train that runs to the middle of no where that the state is spending on the budget of the state's public universities.

And it is none other that the Stanford School of Economics that claimsCalifornia's unfunded liabilities exceed $200 billion.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/december/california-pension-debt-121411.html

But that's okay. Just keep whistling past the garveyard. Your kids and grandkids will be there to clean up the mess.

You wouldn't happen to be a retired California state employee would you? That would be the only reason you would deny the gargantuan financial problems facing your state.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 06:45 PM
The taxfoundation.org website you provided ranked California 48th in terms of tax burden meaning it has one of the worst tax burdens in the country. It's state income tax is 11%.

Top rate is 11 percent. But let's compare total taxes in cash versus incomes between the two, and you'll see the Golden State is ahead, considerably. The statistics cited are mostly a problem for those who think taxes are evil, somehow.

The link to the California state government budget website is laughable. Forbes and other financial experts have shown how Moonbeam Brown's claim of having a budget surplus is fraud.

Glad you had a good laugh. Probably much like the one I had about Forbes being a financial expert. Snort. And Gov. Brown has been a very good governor, frankly. Much better than 'we didn't get any federal help except for the military and killin' all the natives and the homestead act' Sarah Palin lite Gov. Fallin.

California cities that have declare bankruptcy:Stockton, San Bernadino, Vallejo and Mamouth Lakes. Compton will probably follow. How many cities in Oklahoma can you list that have done the same.

Mammoth's filing was rejected. We have nearly 500 cities...three or four out of 500 isn't too bad, honestly, considering. Municipalities do run into trouble from time to time. I never said we were perfect, and no, I cannot name an Oklahoma town that has filed bankruptcy.

i am not shocked that somebody who fails to grasp the problems with a state government over-taxing, over-spending and over-regulating its citizens would have a hard time grasping the meaning of my signature.

Funny: I've never felt overtaxed or overregulated out here...whereas the religious fundamentalism and co-opting of populism by the energy extraction industry, among others, in my previous state were quite stifling.

BTw, I find it sad that Moonbeam plans on spending more on his little pet project bullet train that runs to the middle of no where that the state is spending on the budget of the state's public universities.

The train to nowhere will run between two little towns called Los Angeles and San Francisco. Maybe you've heard of them in your vast experience? And as we spend $11 billion a year on higher education, and another $39 billion on K-12 spending....per year...and the bullet train is going to cost somewhere around $50 to $60 billion over a period of years as infrastructure--sorely needed infrastructure, I might add--I don't find it unreasonable. My only gripe with the bullet train is it's been rerouted several times through cities like my own, slowing the trip. I'd love to be able to be in L.A. in 20 minutes...or into SF in two hours.

And it is none other that the Stanford School of Economics that claimsCalifornia's unfunded liabilities exceed $200 billion.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/d...bt-121411.html

Stanford, while a fine university, is also a private school, once run by Herbert Hoover. Condoleeza Rice is on the faculty. I mean, really? You expect Stanford to do something less than bash state government?

But that's okay. Just keep whistling past the garveyard. Your kids and grandkids will be there to clean up the mess.

Oh, the old 'can't pass this on to future generations' meme. Unlike the assets and gains of the economy, say. Funny...when I went to work in 1978 out of OU, I was paying off the financial burdens of WWII, the Korean War, the VietNam war, state infrastructure such as the Interstate system, and so on, and so on. I seem to have done okay, thanks.

You wouldn't happen to be a retired California state employee would you? That would be the only reason you would deny the gargantuan financial problems facing your state.

Nope. 57 years old, working in the private sector, earning low six figures, and very aware of the challenges facing my state. I also applaud the fact that we had the wisdom to elect a Democratic governor and a Democratic majority legislature. We've made great strides in improving our state, and we're recovering nicely from the financial crisis.

But really, I am through on this topic. No further responses. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me.

Position Limit
1/8/2014, 12:11 PM
all of this negativity about california is nonsense talking points. there's not a better state in this country period. more wealth, more natural resources, more beauty, more talent, better weather, top schools, biggest gdp, etc.. than any other state out there. and it's not even close. yes it has it problems. what state doesnt. i swear it's envy. there's no other reason i can think of for the vitriol that this state gets from the south/midwest/flyover region of this country.
i leave in 3 weeks for my annual 5 month stay in socal coastal goodness. so enough of this negativity. i dont need anything affecting the swells.

soonergirlNeugene
1/8/2014, 03:08 PM
Pfft the gators have been terribad since Meyer/Tebow left. Oh, you were talking about the state? I wasn't aware states (or conferences for that matter) could win national titles. Huh - learn something every day.

badger
1/8/2014, 03:11 PM
I am never joking about California again --- too many people love/hate it :(

FaninAma
1/9/2014, 02:04 AM
all of this negativity about california is nonsense talking points. there's not a better state in this country period. more wealth, more natural resources, more beauty, more talent, better weather, top schools, biggest gdp, etc.. than any other state out there. and it's not even close. yes it has it problems. what state doesnt. i swear it's envy. there's no other reason i can think of for the vitriol that this state gets from the south/midwest/flyover region of this country.
i leave in 3 weeks for my annual 5 month stay in socal coastal goodness. so enough of this negativity. i dont need anything affecting the swells.

LOL. Californians invite the criticism because they are arrogant and condescending even as their little paradise is crumbling down around their heads. California will be begging the rest of the country to bail them out within 4 years.

http://capoliticalnews.com/2013/09/04/california-unfunded-pension-liability-now-640000000000-using-accurate-numbers-for-first-time/

California has the lowest rated state bonds in the country:
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0445.pdf

Tear Down This Wall
1/10/2014, 11:06 AM
California is gross and full of fag*gots...in additional to being as overrated college football-wise as Texas. Queers and Steers, Queers and Steers. Gross. The anus is an exit, not an entrance. Gross.

stoopified
1/10/2014, 02:20 PM
by compaison the State Of Texas has what 4 since '63 ?

Soonerwake
1/10/2014, 03:36 PM
Per capita I think Oklahoma is doing well with 7. Oh yeah, I meant OU is doing well. Getting no help from the other teams in this state.

cvsooner
1/10/2014, 04:47 PM
USC has seven since 1962.

Scott D
1/10/2014, 05:37 PM
this thread needs to be brought behind Red McCombs and sat on.

Socrefbek
1/10/2014, 05:39 PM
California Sucks. Overcrowded, Overrated, and Overpriced. Full of Liberal Tree Huggers, self important celebrities and alternative life style weirdos. The air quality is terrible.

I lived there for 4 years and travelled there on business multiple times. I couldn't wait to get out. I've been to the Imperial Valley, San Diego, Long Beach, LA, Palm Springs, Barstow, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Franciso and Oakland. So I feel well qualified to render an opinion.

Scott D
1/10/2014, 05:45 PM
Living everywhere in this country sucks, but at the same time living everywhere in this country is awesome. I think that should cover it.

cvsooner
1/10/2014, 05:50 PM
Texas Sucks. Overcrowded with evangelicals, Overrated, and Overpriced. Not Enough Liberal Tree Huggers, way too many self important celebrities (they call themselves Texicans) and alternative life style weirdos in Austin. The air quality is terrible.

I've never lived there but I've travelled there on business multiple times. And I can never wait to get out. I've been to El Paso, Galveston, Houston, Texarkana, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, Plainview, Hereford, Amarillo, Big Spring, Corpus Christi, Brownsville. So I feel well qualified to render an opinion.

FIFY.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2014, 05:51 PM
California Sucks. Overcrowded, Overrated, and Overpriced. Full of Liberal Tree Huggers, self important celebrities and alternative life style weirdos. The air quality is terrible.

I lived there for 4 years and travelled there on business multiple times. I couldn't wait to get out. I've been to the Imperial Valley, San Diego, Long Beach, LA, Palm Springs, Barstow, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Franciso and Oakland. So I feel well qualified to render an opinion.

Exactly! You should *never* consider moving here. Tell your friends, tell your family, heck even tell horns. DO NOT move to CA - you'll wish you hadn't!

And if you must visit here, get in and out quickly. Take only pictures and leave only footprints and lots of your vacation $$$ !

:excitement::excitement:

cvsooner
1/10/2014, 05:51 PM
Living everywhere in this country sucks, but at the same time living everywhere in this country is awesome. I think that should cover it.

Hear, hear.

winout
1/17/2014, 09:52 AM
Here's a report that came out today that doesn't paint such a rosy picture for CA. It ranks the states on their solvency and Ca finishes ahead of only IL, NJ, CT and MA.

George Mason University, ranked each state's financial health based on a variety of measures, such as cash on hand to pay its current bills, budget surpluses or deficits, unfunded liabilities and ability to provide adequate public services.

http://news.investors.com/011614-686566-christie-new-jersey-worst-for-fiscal-solvency.htm

And since this report ranks both CA and OK in the bottom half of education achievement (http://www.edweek.org/media/16qc-k-12achievment-c1.pdf) I'll post a link to a picture of the fiscal solvency ranking cause all that math and words may be too difficult.

http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WEBpoll90_0116.gif&docId=686566&xmpSource=&width=800&height=553&caption=

winout
1/17/2014, 10:09 AM
Not that they crank out the D1 players but the state to be is IN. They are in the top 15 in both those rankings and I understand they are the only state that didn't have to cut their budget after 08 crash.

badger
1/17/2014, 10:28 AM
My false love of Cali has gone on long enough. It's time to dedicate my avatar to my true love: Baylor failure Coach Scott Drew.

Position Limit
1/17/2014, 10:42 AM
Here's a report that came out today that doesn't paint such a rosy picture for CA. It ranks the states on their solvency and Ca finishes ahead of only IL, NJ, CT and MA.

George Mason University, ranked each state's financial health based on a variety of measures, such as cash on hand to pay its current bills, budget surpluses or deficits, unfunded liabilities and ability to provide adequate public services.

http://news.investors.com/011614-686566-christie-new-jersey-worst-for-fiscal-solvency.htm

And since this report ranks both CA and OK in the bottom half of education achievement (http://www.edweek.org/media/16qc-k-12achievment-c1.pdf) I'll post a link to a picture of the fiscal solvency ranking cause all that math and words may be too difficult.

http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WEBpoll90_0116.gif&docId=686566&xmpSource=&width=800&height=553&caption=

so the most determining factor in a state worthiness to okies is its solvency? got it. i'll be thinking of this pending doom in 80 degree weather, 4 foot breaks and gorgeous scenery all around. i bet stanford slows down cranking out billionaires at an alarming rate too. while there at it, i guess silicon valley will cease to exist in this terrible economic california climate. i suppose the california wine industry will close its doors as well since the local economy sucks and the state is dysfunctional and ran by tree huggers. the world's entertainment industry as we know it will cease to exist also. etc etc.....the california debt argument as it's place in quality of us states is one made up of whole straw. if only the state was ran by true visionaries like the conservative leaders in oklahoma then it would really be the land of milk and honey.

winout
1/17/2014, 12:06 PM
so the most determining factor in a state worthiness to okies is its solvency? got it. i'll be thinking of this pending doom in 80 degree weather, 4 foot breaks and gorgeous scenery all around. i bet stanford slows down cranking out billionaires at an alarming rate too. while there at it, i guess silicon valley will cease to exist in this terrible economic california climate. i suppose the california wine industry will close its doors as well since the local economy sucks and the state is dysfunctional and ran by tree huggers. the world's entertainment industry as we know it will cease to exist also. etc etc.....the california debt argument as it's place in quality of us states is one made up of whole straw. if only the state was ran by true visionaries like the conservative leaders in oklahoma then it would really be the land of milk and honey.

Where did I praise OK in that post? I'm really disappointed in the education numbers as I posted above.

I'll say that those states that are fiscally responsible are like designated drivers. Sure, they miss out on all the partying but have no adverse consequences in the morning. And morning always comes.

oupride
1/17/2014, 12:45 PM

10.4 copy that

freshchris05
1/17/2014, 01:45 PM
what would it take to close this thread?

picasso
1/17/2014, 02:06 PM
A California wild fire. It's been 46 years since the current fire's underbrush has been burnt so it shant take long.
They burn off the land in Osage County every April here.
Beat that Jack.

Tear Down This Wall
1/17/2014, 04:29 PM
USC has seven since 1962.

Yes, and we're talking about the number Texas has won since 1970 - one. And, the number Florida has won over the past three decades - 11.

USC won their last outright title in 1978. They shared one in 2003 with LSU. Their 2004 title was stripped.

Even if you give USC 2003 and 2004 alone, you are looking at two in the past 35 seasons compared to 11 for the state of Florida alone, and 20 for schools located in the south or SEC.

There's really not a comparison - Florida preps are delivering more for Florida schools than Texas or California preps are for those states' football schools...and, it isn't even really close.

So, give thanks that Stoops recruits Florida and the Southeast as well. The talent there is, across the board, better than the talent in Texas and California.

cvsooner
1/17/2014, 04:36 PM
What I see locally is for the most part we produce good players out here, but not especially good team players, the Brennan Clays and the Jalen Saunders finds notwithstanding.

winout
1/17/2014, 06:01 PM
Wow, FL has it going on. D1 talent and they are in the top 10 in both fiscal and k-12 achievement. Kudos to them.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/17/2014, 07:37 PM
You can't handle Florida speed.
-miami fan to us, '07

We may have been in the same section.

-Decent Miami punt return:"you can't handle our speed!"
-Fumble returned for a TD on the next play: silence for the rest of the game.