PDA

View Full Version : Was it 2011 or 2012 when we were so optimistic?

BigTip
1/7/2014, 11:28 AM
It doesn't seem that long ago, but I can't remember. Was it 2011 or 2012 when we were so optimistic going into the season because "all the pieces were in place" to take it all?

I feel the same way, and the press will probably back it up, things look pretty darn good for next year.

picasso
1/7/2014, 11:51 AM
It was 2001. We thought we would never lose again.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2014, 11:55 AM
2011. Because it looked like the light had come on for Landry in those games at aggie and coming from 17 behind to beat Nebbish. Unfortunately, he didn't take the leap forward in 2011 that we expected. That's why I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about what we might see out of Trevor Knight in 2013.

He certainly played well against ISU and KSU, even though he wasn't asked to throw it much in those games. After a slow start against aggie, I thought he was getting the offense moving when he got knocked out. But that game against Alabama was off the charts from what we have seen to date.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 12:39 PM
It was 2011 and it was justified. That team did start the season as a legitimate top 5 team, but proved to be too thin from a depth point of view. No team can win the BCS title if their star players get hurt, but a really good team shouldn't slide as far as that team did with the injuries. Once Whaley went down, our running game became mostly ineffective putting more pressure on LJ/Broyles. Once Broyles went down, the offense was totally out of sync as no one stepped up except Jaz occasionally. Our stalwarts on defense were our bookend DE's that provided consistent pressure w/o blitzing. We were handling Baylor and RG3 fine until R. Lewis went down in the first half (for the season). Then Alexander dislocated his shoulder in the ISU game and was playing with 1 arm in the OSU game. By that time, the team didn't even deserve to be ranked. Terrible ending, but folks forget how good that team really was when healthy.

cvsooner
1/7/2014, 01:25 PM
Yup: great starters and no depth was the story in 2011.

SoonerMarkVA
1/7/2014, 01:50 PM
It was 2001. We thought we would never lose again.

YES! I remember thinking, without pause, about who we would face in the Rose Bowl right after we dominated FSU.

swardboy
1/7/2014, 02:23 PM
2012 for me. I thought Blake Bell was leading us to the promised land. Silly me.

BigTip
1/7/2014, 07:18 PM
Well that season didn't teach me a thing about limiting my expectations!
Looking at our schedule, I could see us running the board. Why not?
I've got seven months or so to feel good about the end to this season and to look forwards to the possibilities of next season.

ashley
1/7/2014, 08:15 PM
When are the people who wanted to fire Bob and Josh all year?

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 08:31 PM

There are some hardcore Josh haters on landthieves, there were posters nit picking at SB game plan and play calling when a thread was started to give Josh his props. I guess life hands out lemonade, some will choose to make rancid urine out of it.

nanimonai
1/7/2014, 08:51 PM

Well in all fairness, Josh's playcalling especially this year through the Baylor game was highly suspect. Perhaps he was just working with what he had, I don't know. I wouldn't say I was calling for him to be fired but I wouldn't have been upset if he took another job or resigned right after Baylor. I'm just some random dude though; they weren't asking for my input.
That said, a lot obviously changed for the better and Josh obviously called some excellent games at the end of the year and I'm enthusiastic for the future with him at OC.

Crazy season with the lowest of lows and the highest of highs. In a few months it went from feeling like the 90's OU s coming back to wondering who we're going play in the championship game next year. Good times. :very_drunk:

oupride
1/7/2014, 10:06 PM
Both.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 11:41 PM
Both.

I had little optimism for 2012. I knew we would be pretty good, and no chance to be great. I also didn't see the program moving toward anything. Things turned out as expected, but the surprise were the 2 thrilling endings at WVU and vs. OSU. Made the season worthwhile.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2014, 12:28 AM
2009 with Sam coming back.

I never thought we'd contend for a NC with LJ, and I sure as hell soured on BV by then as well.

BigTip
1/8/2014, 12:32 AM
I looked it up.
We were ranked #1 preseason 2011. So that's the year I am thinking about.

As for Josh's play calling; I find that an OC looks like a genius when his quarterback completes everything he throws out there.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2014, 12:42 AM
The problem in 2011 was that we weren't very good at linebacker and we had one shaky safety. I just don't feel like a defense that doesn't have at least 1 linebacker that can play on your opponents side of the ball can dominate consistently for 12 games. And that defense ended up being pretty bad.

Going into next year, we face the same issues. At linebacker, Shannon should only be on the field in obvious passing downs. Alexander is promising, but he still gives up too many garbage yards to backs (plays that should go for -1 go for 4). At safety we are a huge unknown.

BigTip
1/8/2014, 12:47 AM
The problem in 2011 was that we weren't very good at linebacker and we had one shaky safety.

Safety and the rest of the secondary. Gave up a lot of big plays.

Sooner91ATL
1/8/2014, 05:32 AM
It's impossible, after the bowl performance, to have lowered expectations for next year. Especially when EVERY year fans begin posting in August about our shot at a national championship. I am optimistic, but we have had some very bad luck with injuries since 2009 as detailed above, and our defense has a long way to go to become elite. JKM makes an excellent point about LB above. I like to go back and watch old vids from the early Stoops years and our D back then did not give up the garbage yards often. When a back was hit, he was pushed back or fell forward for a yard maybe. Mostly they just fell down. Our current D has a bend but don't break approach (a hallmark of M Stoops' defenses if you ask me). This is not too bad, except when you give up the big play. In the Sugar Bowl, just three plays (two missed tackles and being a step behind the receiver on a post route - 2 of those mistakes by the same player) resulted in quick strike 21 points. We won't win championships with that kind of play. Sure we will win 10 games, but the big enchilada is for those who don't make multiple mistakes that end up in 6 points or have enough elite and dominant athletes to cover for the mistakes that are made more often than not. If we can correct tackling and alignment (I expect improvement with maturity next year) we could eliminate a lot of those big plays and garbage yards. May be enough to put us over the top (assuming QB play remains at a high level).