PDA

View Full Version : Fan/Alumni Reaction to the Texas Coaching Hire

Temujin
1/7/2014, 07:58 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else on here. Thought it was pretty hilarious.

http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 12:50 PM
I just heard the audio reaction of Red McCombs on ESPN. He was totally against the Strong hire and said Strong would be a good position coach and *maybe* a good coordinator. Let the drama begin.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2014, 01:01 PM
I just heard the audio reaction of Red McCombs on ESPN. He was totally against the Strong hire and said Strong would be a good position coach and *maybe* a good coordinator. Let the drama begin.

He's senile.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 01:06 PM
He's senile.

True, but they also mentioned he has donated over $100M to UT to buy influence. A high profile guy to be publicly criticizing the new coach as he tries to sew up the '14 recruiting class. He actually said the hire was "a kick in the face to donors".

SoonerMarkVA
1/7/2014, 01:11 PM
True, but they also mentioned he has donated over $100M to UT to buy influence. A high profile guy to be publicly criticizing the new coach as he tries to sew up the '14 recruiting class. He actually said the hire was "a kick in the face to donors".

:pop: - OK, I'm set!

KantoSooner
1/7/2014, 02:29 PM
Presuming that McCombs stands behind that statement, he's delusional. Strong was head and shoulders better than anyone else available. His only weak point will be in dealing with tools like McCombs. Red might just as well have said, "Well, Strong looks like a man who'll tell me to go **** myself when I tell him who to recruit or play, and, frankly, I prefer an *********."

badger
1/7/2014, 02:40 PM
Hey look! Shaggy has a thread going. (http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/126053-****-you-Red-McCombs-thread) Enjoy :D

Jacie
1/7/2014, 03:30 PM
I don't know McCombs personally so this is purely a random thought, mind you, I did live in the state of Texas 11 years so at least I qualify on that point.

Anyway, perhaps McCombs objection has something to do with wanting them to hire someone "taller" than Charlie Strong . . .

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2014, 04:21 PM
Red McCombs hired Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier..Very smart of Texas to leave him out.

rock on sooner
1/7/2014, 04:34 PM
People orta be careful about throwing rocks at McCombs...he's Chairman
of the Board at Academi, which used to be called Blackwater...these are
the guys who are private "security" contractors in places like Baghdad
and Kabul...jus sayin..

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 04:37 PM
Red McCombs hired Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier..Very smart of Texas to leave him out.

McCombs was pushing for Gruden which would have been a great hire (i.e. disaster). Maybe McCombs doesn't really matter anymore, but I found it bizarre he would openly criticize the choice so severely and then in the next sentence, claim he is a team player and will support the coach. I would never want to be "supported" in that way.

8timechamps
1/7/2014, 07:08 PM
McCombs is crying because he was left out of the decision. Fortunately, for Strong, McCombs had no say. Unfortunately, for Strong, McCombs isn't going away anytime soon.

I don't think there is any question that Strong is a good coach, but in Austin, there's a lot more to the job.

oupride
1/7/2014, 10:09 PM
McCombs is crying because he was left out of the decision. Fortunately, for Strong, McCombs had no say. Unfortunately, for Strong, McCombs isn't going away anytime soon.

I don't think there is any question that Strong is a good coach, but in Austin, there's a lot more to the job.

Copy that.

TXSooner
1/8/2014, 01:38 AM
hope Strong likes the money, cause that's a lot of bs to deal with

oupride
1/8/2014, 07:41 AM
He has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium though.

badger
1/8/2014, 09:28 AM
He has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium though.

I hope you all have seen it. If not, please view the real Red and the statue Red:
http://alcalde.texasexes.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/McC2.jpg

Basically, downed the poundage and upped the crazy whornness. Yee haw!

SoCalBigRed
1/8/2014, 07:13 PM
:pop: - OK, I'm set!

Move over... got more popcorn? :very_drunk:

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 08:11 PM
Look over in recruiting. UT lost 2 DT commits after the Strong hire. One of them even quoted McCombs' "kick in the face" statement. You never know, could end up a good thing for the horns if these guys were a poor fit with the new staff, but it already shows that Strong will live in interesting times.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2014, 08:29 PM
Look over in recruiting. UT lost 2 DT commits after the Strong hire. One of them even quoted McCombs' "kick in the face" statement. You never know, could end up a good thing for the horns if these guys were a poor fit with the new staff, but it already shows that Strong will live in interesting times.

Did they quote McCombs because they were disgusted by his comments or disappointed in the hire?

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2014, 09:03 PM
Did they quote McCombs because they were disgusted by his comments or disappointed in the hire?

The implication was the latter as this came in conjunction with Courtney Gardner decommtting from the horns. He just talked about not wanting to go to a staff that didn't recruit him and then re-tweeted the McComb thing at some other time. I took as saying that if someone this close to the program is upset, there is reason for concern.

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:27 PM
The de-commits were really because the D-line coach left for USC, but I'm sure the comments just reinforced their decision. There's a chance they've lost 3 DT commits, but one (Henderson) is wavering (something he's done a lot of, he's already de-committed from TCU).

8timechamps
1/8/2014, 09:53 PM
It's official, Texas has lost it's third Defensive Tackle commit, Zaycoven Henderson has committed to Texas A&M (he was once a TCU commit, then a Texas Commit, now an Aggie).

I'm pretty sure this isn't how Patterson expected this week to go for Strong. Of course, recruits leave when a new coach is brought in, but combine that with the McCombs comments...it would suck to be a Longhorn (that's not necessarily in relation to this weeks happenings, just a life mantra).

birddog
1/8/2014, 10:07 PM
Strong is a great coach, I'd be happy to have him at OU. But the old skool whorns prolly aren't looking at his ability as a coach, if you catch my drift.

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 04:10 PM
Strong is a great coach, I'd be happy to have him at OU. But the old skool whorns prolly aren't looking at his ability as a coach, if you catch my drift.

I agree, I think Strong is an excellent coach, but I think he's gotten in over his head. If all he had to do was coach, then he would do well. Unfortunately, it's Texas, and there's a lot of other BS that comes with that job (that's what Mack was good about handling).

Scott D
1/9/2014, 09:52 PM
I'm sure Red McComb is a great businessman. But I would think within this organization he'd be suited to Night Drive Thru Cashier, or maybe Overnight Assistant Manager. There is absolutely no way that he should be a CEO at one of the Top 3 Fast Food Franchises in this nation.

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 11:08 PM
There is absolutely no way that he should be a CEO anywhere in this nation.

FIFY

Scott D
1/9/2014, 11:10 PM
FIFY

no way man, mine fits better with his radio appearance :)

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 11:11 PM
no way man, mine fits better with his radio appearance :)

True.

Scott D
1/9/2014, 11:12 PM

psst...that was Zygi Wilf. Leslie Frasier was probably a decent position coach, and maybe a coordinator. ;)

sooneredaco
1/10/2014, 09:59 AM
A good buddy of mine that also happens to be my client is a UT alum and by the standards of most D1 schools, a big donor.

With that said, he told me over dinner this past week that Strong was the 15th choice. I find that hard to believe. What 14 guys were ahead of him?

delhalew
1/10/2014, 10:27 AM
I'm ready to see what his staff is going to look like.

Shouldn't he be getting that done pretty quickly?

Time to start recruiting again soon.

dwarthog
1/10/2014, 10:37 AM
A good buddy of mine that also happens to be my client is a UT alum and by the standards of most D1 schools, a big donor.

With that said, he told me over dinner this past week that Strong was the 15th choice. I find that hard to believe. What 14 guys were ahead of him?

Wow, 15th choice? That says a LOT about the problems down there.

KantoSooner
1/10/2014, 11:36 AM
Charlie Strong was on any sane person's short list. If true, then you have to wonder WTF's wrong with the Texicans.

sooneredaco
1/10/2014, 12:11 PM
Charlie Strong was on any sane person's short list. If true, then you have to wonder WTF's wrong with the Texicans.

Yea I gave him the you "are you effing kidding me" look when he said that.

Regardless of how accurate that is, it shows just how full of it that whole program is.

picasso
1/10/2014, 12:15 PM

C'mon man, it's Texas! They don't have a short anything.

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2014, 12:20 PM

1 - Nick Saban
2 - Vince Lombardi
3 - Bill Cowher
4 - Jon Gruden
5 - Urban Meyer
6 - Pete Carroll
7 - that colored fella at College Station
8 - Watson Brown
9 - Mike Gundy
10 - Les Miles
11 - Jimmy Johnson
12 - Jason Garrett
13 - Darrell K. Royal
14 - Brad Childress
15 - that other colored fella at Louisville

badger
1/10/2014, 12:45 PM

I'll give it a shot

Unquestioned 1. Nick Saban
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. John Harbaugh
4. David Shaw
5. Gus Malzahn
6. Art Briles
7. Jim Mora
8. Jimbo Fisher
9. Mike Gundy
10. Jon Gruden
11. Steve Sarkisian
12. Chris Pederson
13. Kevin Sumlin
14. Keep Mack Brown after all

I'm right, aren't I? :D I'm more confident in 1-10 than I am 11-14 though. At some point 1-10 were all rumored

picasso
1/10/2014, 12:52 PM
No Pop Warner?

badger
1/10/2014, 01:04 PM
No Pop Warner?

The lulz list:
1. Pop Warner
2. Vince Lombardi
3. Bear Bryant
4. Darryl K Royal
5. Barry Switzer
6. Bud Wilkenson
7. Nick Saban, Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer co-co-coaching trifecta
8. Joe Paterno
9. Woody Hayes
10. Bo Schl...andsoon
11. Knute Rockne
12. Tom Osbourne
13. Bill Snyder
14. Keep Mack Brown through 2020 end of contract

picasso
1/10/2014, 01:29 PM
No Amos Alonzo Stagg?

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2014, 06:04 PM
About a week after Mack Brown resigned I was listening to Sirius College Football. I can't remember which show was talking about it, but they said Strong was the favorite in Vegas at 4 to 1. That was the first time I heard his name mentioned at all.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 07:55 PM
About a week after Mack Brown resigned I was listening to Sirius College Football. I can't remember which show was talking about it, but they said Strong was the favorite in Vegas at 4 to 1. That was the first time I heard his name mentioned at all.

He was a very hot commodity after the 2012 season, so I expected his name to come up, I just didn't expect him to end up at Texas. It's a great hire, I just don't think Texas will be able to keep from screwing it up somehow.

swardboy
1/11/2014, 02:16 PM
Pardon my laziness, but is there any word on whether or not Applewhite stays with the program. I've always felt he would be a future candidate for HC in Austin.

Jacie
1/11/2014, 08:03 PM
If Major stays, it won't be as co-OC as Strong is bringing both of his coordinators from Louisville with him.

swardboy
1/11/2014, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure he's gone then. thanks.

vtsooner21
1/12/2014, 07:24 AM
No coach from Friday Night Lights?

Boomer