PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective....

BigJerm7
1/5/2014, 12:34 PM
Just thinking about all the teams that have beat us in past bowl games. The point is where are they now, and we come back strong every year.

USC, down.
Boise st, down.
LSU, down.
WVU, down.
Florida, down.

Year after year we come back strong and are consistently at or near the top. For most of those teams it takes their best team ever to beat us. But the next year we are back in it. Proud of this program, proud to be a Sooner.

aurorasooner
1/5/2014, 12:48 PM
Hell, one of the best parts of the game was when Julian Wilson was apparently lined up in the wrong position on D, and the rest of D players were chewing on his azz during the TO.
I've seen plenty of times when M. Stoops is chewing on one of D players, but when he's the freakin' calm one, and the rest of our players are in another players face and chewing azz, then you know that they're serious and the coach's game prep is for real.
Holy cheet. I thought that Colvin and a few of our other D players we're going to kill Julian before that TO was over.

swardboy
1/5/2014, 12:51 PM
Is that what the brouhaha on the sideline was over? I thought maybe Wilson called Mike Stoops a *****.

Dan Thompson
1/5/2014, 12:51 PM
Looking at the schedule for 2014 and the class of 2014 we should be right up there again. Maybe we can be in the top 4 playoff.
Yes, we are losing some good players, but I am thinking we have others coming up to fill in.

aurorasooner
1/5/2014, 01:02 PM
Is that what the brouhaha on the sideline was over? I thought maybe Wilson called Mike Stoops a *****. I don't really know, but when editing out the commercials, I did watch that sequence back, and Mike was engrossed is his "play-clipboard" while a lot of the azz chewing was going on.
If Julian did say something of that nature to him, then kudos to Mike for not losing it, and keeping the big-picture in perspective, or our other D players for sort of separating them and keeping the situation from getting completely out of control.

picasso
1/5/2014, 01:04 PM
Good perspective.
Stoops is a grinder and I think it comes from his background.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2014, 01:10 PM
Excellent point - people forget how hard it is to field a top team year after year with massive turnover to graduation along with young players not developing as projected. Just looking at the regular season this year, we lost handily to UT and BU - but I think the odds are excellent that we are better than both next season.

SouthFortySooner
1/5/2014, 01:16 PM
Looking at the schedule for 2014 and the class of 2014 we should be right up there again. Maybe we can be in the top 4 playoff.
Yes, we are losing some good players, but I am thinking we have others coming up to fill in.

I am curious of Millard's replacement?

oupride
1/5/2014, 01:23 PM

Rogue
1/5/2014, 01:37 PM
How is LSU down?

Jacie
1/5/2014, 01:46 PM
So give him 4 out of 5 . . .

Aries
1/5/2014, 01:54 PM
I don't really know, but when editing out the commercials, I did watch that sequence back, and Mike was engrossed is his "play-clipboard" while a lot of the azz chewing was going on.
If Julian did say something of that nature to him, then kudos to Mike for not losing it, and keeping the big-picture in perspective, or our other D players for sort of separating them and keeping the situation from getting completely out of control.

They had to call time out because Wilson was obviously confused about where he was supposed to be, and if I remember correctly one or two players appeared to be yacking at him before they went to the sidelines. So that theory makes more sense to me than anything else.

picasso
1/5/2014, 02:09 PM

I love Millard but did we miss him the last few games.
I may get smoked for this but I think Green and Rip finished blocks better than Trey.

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 02:22 PM
I may get smoked for this but I think Green and Rip finished blocks better than Trey.

Ummm, don't remember ANY that Millard didn't finish. Can't think of
anyone he blocked who got back into the play....

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2014, 03:10 PM

I think Heupel did a nice job of adjusting roles. Green and Rip were not asked to do all the things Millard did, but they both did play well.

picasso
1/5/2014, 04:35 PM
Ummm, don't remember ANY that Millard didn't finish. Can't think of
anyone he blocked who got back into the play....

I noticed a couple this year and I'm not even a replay nerd.

Piware
1/5/2014, 04:41 PM
Hell, one of the best parts of the game was when Julian Wilson was apparently lined up in the wrong position on D, and the rest of D players were chewing on his azz during the TO.
I've seen plenty of times when M. Stoops is chewing on one of D players, but when he's the freakin' calm one, and the rest of our players are in another players face and chewing azz, then you know that they're serious and the coach's game prep is for real.
Holy cheet. I thought that Colvin and a few of our other D players we're going to kill Julian before that TO was over.

Reminded of Dan Cody passing out because he was so hyped.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/5/2014, 04:50 PM
Very interesting post. Very good post.

To be honest, when I first read the post, my thought was, "well, we've kind of cherry-picked this moment in time to compare those other programs." I actually went to do a little research to bring back some perspective to those programs. To give them props and remind everyone that the Sooners have had an 8-5 season since every one of those losses.

But here are the records of each team since those games...

LSU 104-27 one NC and three top 5 AP finishes
OU 105-28 two top 5 AP finishes

USC 90-27 with four top 5 AP finishes
OU 93-27 with one top 5 AP finish

Boise St 79-13 one top 5 AP finish
OU 74-20 with one top 5 AP finish

West Va 48-29 zero top 5 AP finishes
OU 63-17 with one top 5 AP finish

Florida 43-22 one top 5 AP finish
OU 51-15 zero top 5 AP finishes

LSU has a percentage points better record, a title and more top 5's.
USC has more top 5's.
Boise has a better record, but nothing else.
West Virginia has nothing.
Florida has a top 5 finish.

All these teams have "something" on OU since those games. LSU has had better football teams since the Sugar Bowl. OU has "something" on every other team. And I suppose if we take a snapshot today, OU has the advantage on LSU as well.

By Oklahoma standards, the Sooners have certainly been "down." But, in relation to the College Football world, the Sooners have enjoyed much success. And any notion that they have been relegated to some second tier of NCAA Football quality is ludicrous.

In addition to LSU and USC, only Oregon, Ohio State and Alabama have exceeded the success of OU since 2003. And yes, my definition and formula for success includes more than just NC's.

It's always a good time to be a Sooner fan.

BigJerm7
1/5/2014, 05:20 PM
LSU is ranked #16 and squeaked by a crappy Iowa team in their bowl game, not exactly a great year compared to years past.

I swear some people like to twist words and throw out an argument just for the sake of arguing.

The point I was trying to make is the current state of the overall programs is down right now. Would any of you trade places with them right now or the past few years? None of them even have the same coaches since we've played them. I wasn't talking about wins or top 5 finishes, but I guess an arguing person would try to throw that out there. Overall state of the program now, or consistent good seasons is more what I was suggesting. I didnt research it for stats or numbers, just shot from the hip. My bad lol.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/5/2014, 05:27 PM
LSU is ranked #16 and squeaked by a crappy Iowa team in their bowl game, not exactly a great year compared to years past.

I swear some people like to twist words and throw out an argument just for the sake of arguing.

The point I was trying to make is the current state of the overall programs is down right now. Would any of you trade places with them right now or the past few years? None of them even have the same coaches since we've played them. I wasn't talking about wins or top 5 finishes, but I guess an arguing person would try to throw that out there. Overall state of the program now, or consistent good seasons is more what I was suggesting. I didnt research it for stats or numbers, just shot from the hip. My bad lol.

I assume you're talking to me.

I was actually agreeing with your perspective. Not sure you really read, or understood, my post.

BigJerm7
1/5/2014, 05:57 PM
The way I read it was that you're giving those other program "props", reminding us of an 8-5 season, telling us those teams have a better record or more top 5 finishes or both, saying all of these teams have something on OU, saying that OU has been down or that LSU and USC have had more success. That is hardly agreeing with my original post.

The plain and simple fact is that we come back every single year and knock down 10 win seasons, stay out of scandals and major NCAA sanctions. We run a clean program and we consistently win, and are back in the big and/or relevant bowls, all while keeping the same coach.

Jacie
1/5/2014, 07:14 PM
Attaboy, don't let his statistics get in the way of your premise . . .

cherokeebrewer
1/5/2014, 07:29 PM
I noticed a couple this year and I'm not even a replay nerd.

Yeah, but what about those where he took out 3 on the same play.

Jack T.
1/5/2014, 08:52 PM
USC, down.
Boise st, down.
LSU, down.
WVU, down.
Florida, down.

I was thinking about this the other day. Every few years there is a "best team of the century" team. Shortly, that team has disappeared. . .yet OU is still in the picture.

Helped me a bit. . ."yeah, you are the hot team on ESPN now, that's fine. . .in a couple years you'll fade back into obscurity and we'll still be here."

AzianSooner
1/5/2014, 09:22 PM
Just thinking about all the teams that have beat us in past bowl games. The point is where are they now, and we come back strong every year.

USC, down.
Boise st, down.
LSU, down.
WVU, down.
Florida, down.

Year after year we come back strong and are consistently at or near the top. For most of those teams it takes their best team ever to beat us. But the next year we are back in it. Proud of this program, proud to be a Sooner.

I wonder if we win any of those games if Mike Stoops stays

BigTip
1/5/2014, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Every few years there is a "best team of the century" team. Shortly, that team has disappeared. . .yet OU is still in the picture.
"

Right.
Two different magazines have declared by stats that OU is best program in the country post War years.
"No brag, just fact."

It's easy being us!

Prodigal
1/6/2014, 12:11 AM

USC, down.
Boise st, down.
LSU, down.
WVU, down.
Florida, down.

Seriously?

Like a couple others noted, you have a good point in a way, but half of those teams on your list would laugh at your point. I laughed at your "best team ever to beat us" statement.

BigJerm7
1/6/2014, 01:25 PM
Good for half those other teams, and good for you.

picasso
1/6/2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but what about those where he took out 3 on the same play.

I saw Rip do the same with Bama.
I love Millard I'm just saying he wasn't irreplacable.

FaninAma
1/6/2014, 03:32 PM
I wonder if we win any of those games if Mike Stoops stays
Excellent question. I suspect we would have won several. And here is my hypothesis:

Mike Stoops>Brent Venables but
Mike Stoops + Bob Soops >>>>>> Brent Venables + Bob Stoops.

Mike and Bob just make each other better coaches when they are together. The new assistant coaches haven't hurt, either.

KantoSooner
1/6/2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah. Without Mike, Bob is a great coach. With Mike, there's a little of the backyard, "Hold my beer, watch this" quality to Bob's coaching.

swardboy
1/6/2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah. Without Mike, Bob is a great coach. With Mike, there's a little of the backyard, "Hold my beer, watch this" quality to Bob's coaching.

Perfect!

delhalew
1/6/2014, 04:05 PM

Spek!

That is just beautiful.

Jack T.
1/6/2014, 09:14 PM

This may be the most brilliant thing I've read on here in awhile.

Rogue
11/8/2014, 11:53 AM

One of my favorite posts.

GDC
11/8/2014, 03:36 PM
One of my favorite posts.

What exactly are we watching for?

BlownGP
11/8/2014, 03:50 PM
Umm, why was this bumped?

Eielson
11/8/2014, 03:52 PM
Umm, why was this bumped?

I'm wondering the same.

Therealsouthsider
11/8/2014, 04:44 PM
.....I'm wondering what the limit is for milking a NC and fleecing fans pocketbooks

ss