PDA

View Full Version : Cold

I Am Right
1/5/2014, 11:37 AM
This Weather has got to make the global warming worshipers upset

yermom
1/5/2014, 12:09 PM
I'm a moron that doesn't understand math and/or science.

there, i translated that to reality for you.

I Am Right
1/5/2014, 04:27 PM
there, i translated that to reality for you.

Evidence, I am sure Yermon is a nice guy, but when faced with another view point, slander and name calling.

Turd_Ferguson
1/5/2014, 04:34 PM
Evidence, I am sure Yermon is a nice guy, but when faced with another view point, slander and name calling.

Yermom is a nice guy but, he's still playing xbox all day and driving his 4 stroke subaru...:D

olevetonahill
1/5/2014, 04:48 PM
Yermom is a nice guy but, he's still playing xbox all day and driving his 4 stroke subaru...:D

Yea but he attends every OU game so he gets a Pass.

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 05:44 PM
This Weather has got to make the global warming worshipers upset

Please remember this thought along about May. Draw an
horizontal line through the middle of Kansas coast to coast
and check for the number of triple digit temps south of that
line, never mind the ones that show up in the Dakotas.

And no, I'm not a GW worshiper. I am, however, realistic
when looking at long term weather trends. One issue in the
GW theory is temperature extremes and, yes,-60 wind chill is
extreme.....

ouwasp
1/5/2014, 07:22 PM
The alarmists that wish to destroy US capitalism should have adopted climate change as their buzz phrase a long time ago...

Turd_Ferguson
1/5/2014, 08:34 PM
The alarmists that wish to destroy US capitalism should have adopted climate change as their buzz phrase a long time ago...
Yes, I believe Global Warming kind of back fired on them...

Turd_Ferguson
1/5/2014, 08:43 PM
Please remember this thought along about May. Draw an
horizontal line through the middle of Kansas coast to coast
and check for the number of triple digit temps south of that
line, never mind the ones that show up in the Dakotas.

And no, I'm not a GW worshiper. I am, however, realistic
when looking at long term weather trends. One issue in the
GW theory is temperature extremes and, yes,-60 wind chill is
extreme.....

The all-time record low is -30 on 01/05/1884.
It was colder on this day back when you were ****'n your diapers.

www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dmx/ColdOutbreak-Jan2014.pdf‎

yermom
1/6/2014, 01:36 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/01/climate_change_deniers_cite_snowstorm_debunking_do nald_trump_et_al.html

(link stolen from Fraggle)

badger
1/6/2014, 09:34 AM
It is currently 1 degree here in Tulsa. It was warmer during the Green Bay game yesterday :(

KantoSooner
1/6/2014, 10:32 AM
One potential outcome of GW is to accelerate formation of continental glaciers. As I recall, the thesis went that, as the Greenland ice sheet melted, the melt water would disrupt the gulf stream and stop the transfer of sub-tropical warmth to Canada and Northern Europe, thus accelerating the growth of glaciation in those places. Not sure what the the current state of play is on that front, but unusually cold weather doesn't damage the theory much.

badger
1/6/2014, 11:50 AM
I wonder if the real debate is what the real impact is from minuscule amounts of changes in temperature. I don't think most people would agree that big cities are a bit warmer than isolated nothingness. Walk around downtown among thousands of people and lots of taxicabs and there's little debate that you're a bit warmer than if you're by yourself.

But is it really such a big problem that we need Al Gore flying his private jet across the world, lobbyists pressuring for alternative, more expensive energy sources, or halting developing countries big dreams and plans of joining the modern age? And if it is such a big problem, is there really anything that we can do about it?

I add that last part because I recall an OU panel saying a few years back that even if the world did absolutely nothing for the next 50 years, the globe would still get warmer. Well, if we're damned if we do or don't, then who gives a crap. Recycle your beer cans instead of tossing them on the side of the road and move on.

KantoSooner
1/6/2014, 11:59 AM
If you truly believe that human activity is causing global heating, then you quickly come to the difficult issue of how you justify holding a majority of the world's population in poverty while we continue to live pretty damn well. We can only resolve the issue by:
1. Forcing the current 'haves' to live a more energy impoverished life.
or
2. Find a way to make energy more environmentally friendly.
or
3. Ignore the whole thing and hope it will go away.

It seems to me that option #2 is the most reasonable path and it has the benefit of allowing us to 'do the right thing' whether or not GW theories are correct. We could start by building/re-building our power transmission grid. Nice big scale public works project type thing. Lotsa jobs. Massive long term benefit.

badger
1/6/2014, 12:16 PM
If you truly believe that human activity is causing global heating, then you quickly come to the difficult issue of how you justify holding a majority of the world's population in poverty while we continue to live pretty damn well. We can only resolve the issue by:
1. Forcing the current 'haves' to live a more energy impoverished life.
or
2. Find a way to make energy more environmentally friendly.
or
3. Ignore the whole thing and hope it will go away.

It seems to me that option #2 is the most reasonable path and it has the benefit of allowing us to 'do the right thing' whether or not GW theories are correct. We could start by building/re-building our power transmission grid. Nice big scale public works project type thing. Lotsa jobs. Massive long term benefit.

I know we aren't living in grass huts while starving and drinking bad water as mosquitoes with malaria bite us to death literally, but it's a stretch to hope that people with stagnant or lower wages with higher costs are going to spend more time and money on how to reduce their carbon footprints. I love being less wasteful with energy and do what I can to minimize my own impact on the environment as much as possible, but I think it's a little much to ask struggling middle and lower class people to sacrifice at a time when they're already expected to do more with less. The fact that the wealthiest just seem to get wealthier doesn't make it easier

ouwasp
1/7/2014, 11:36 AM
About 20 years ago, I went to a geography workshop for teachers. Our main speaker was an OU professor. This man had traveled the world and presented us with a terrific slideshow, all the while sharing his expertise.

This was back when there was a big hubbub over the vanishing rain forest of the Amazon basin. Prof shared some slides with us of the ongoing damage as jungle was bulldozed into farmland. The group of mostly elementary teachers was appropriately indignant. There was a general grumbling of "this needs to stop!"

During the question and answer time afterwards though, I posed a question that no one had an answer to... "So what do you tell the Brazilians that simply want to have a better standard of living for themselves? I mean, they'd just like to have a good life like we do..."

badger
1/7/2014, 12:03 PM
During the question and answer time afterwards though, I posed a question that no one had an answer to... "So what do you tell the Brazilians that simply want to have a better standard of living for themselves? I mean, they'd just like to have a good life like we do..."

Pretty much. Until they're at the level of development that the U.S. is, you can't expect them to stop ruining their natural resources. I mean, we signed off on stopping development of treasures like Yellowstone and the Bayou, etc around Teddy Roosevelt time, if I'm not mistaken. That's more than 100 years of development -- over farming of Cotton in the south (which still pollutes our waters today), tons of mining that left huge chat piles in northeast Oklahoma and elsewhere, former oil well sites that need to be converted back to natural states, the list goes on.

We're going to lose more dodos and passenger pigeons in the process. But, the world doesn't just belong to the environmentalists I guess