PDA

View Full Version : The biggest upset in BCS history!

oupride
1/4/2014, 10:18 PM
Some have stated on television that this is the biggest upset in BCS history, I have always considered the Boise State loss the biggest upset. What are your thoughts?

Although the victory over Alabama does not erase the Boise State loss, I feel that it greatly diminishes it. Thank you to the entire football team, the coaching staff and Coach Stoops.
Boomer!

hawaii 5-0
1/4/2014, 10:23 PM
Those who followed WAC football knew better than to underestimate Boise St. that year.

I thought OU would win that game by a TD. I didn't expect them to get upset.

5-0

SoonernAR
1/4/2014, 10:34 PM
I thought the only way we could beat Bama is if they came in unmotivated like we did against Boise. Bama wasn't caught off guard, OU didn't use cheap-*** trickeration.......for 60 minutes we punched them in the face and they went down.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 10:43 PM
I thought the only way we could beat Bama is if they came in unmotivated like we did against Boise. Bama wasn't caught off guard, OU didn't use cheap-*** trickeration.......for 60 minutes we punched them in the face and they went down.

I prefer not to call it that. Doing so, makes OU look all the worse for getting fooled by it three times.

Tough call regarding the question. I really don't know. Very good arguments can be made for a few games…Boise/OU, OU/Bama, Utah/Bama, Fresno State/SC (early 90s) and probably a few others in antiquity that I'm not remembering.

oupride
1/4/2014, 10:44 PM
good point

Sooners78
1/4/2014, 10:46 PM

I'm glad we didn't have to Boise them to get the win. We lined up and beat them.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 10:54 PM
But the final Boise State tactic raises a point I've always wondered about…Could we have been better prepared for the SOL play? Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I recall reading that Boise ran that play earlier in the year, got good results, and decided to tuck it away for future use.

How much film did the coaches study regarding Boise's games that year? Was that particular game where Boise used the SOL available? If so, had an OU coach (or grad assistant) watched that film would it be standard course to red-flag it for Stoops or Venables?

lexsooner
1/4/2014, 11:03 PM
Some have stated on television that this is the biggest upset in BCS history, I have always considered the Boise State loss the biggest upset. What are your thoughts?

Although the victory over Alabama does not erase the Boise State loss, I feel that it greatly diminishes it. Thank you to the entire football team, the coaching staff and Coach Stoops.
Boomer!

Yup, this was the most important win for Stoops and the program in 13 years. I would also hope the fact that the Boise St. program turned out to be really good in subsequent seasons helped diminish the humiliation of that game. It's a shame that one of Bob's best coaching jobs in winning the conference title, overcoming the Bomar dismissal and the Oregon debacle, was overshadowed by the Boise loss.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 11:06 PM
Yup, this was the most important win for Stoops and the program in 13 years. I would also hope the fact that the Boise St. program turned out to be really good in subsequent seasons helped diminish the humiliation of that game. It's a shame that one of Bob's best coaching jobs in winning the conference title, overcoming the Bomar dismissal and the Oregon debacle, was overshadowed by the Boise loss.

Still highly suspicious that such debacle was really a conspiracy orchestrated by the Dark Knight (Phil).

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 11:39 PM
…Could we have been better prepared for the SOL play? Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I recall reading that Boise ran that play earlier in the year, got good results, and decided to tuck it away for future use...

The answer is a resounding yes; and that's what ticked me off about that play. They had used it for another 2pt conversion and our staff had weeks to prepare. OUr guys should have recognized it as soon as they lined up in that unusual set. At least called timeout if unsure. But that wasn't the worst gaff as the catch and lateral for the tying TD should have *never* worked in that situation. They had no time to do anything else.

As far as the Sugar bowl being the biggest upset in BCS history - that's not a compliment :cower:

tycat947
1/4/2014, 11:40 PM
Boise State was ranked 9th and we were 7th in the Fiesta Bowl. I don't think you can call it the biggest upset. Upset, yes, biggest, not by a long shot.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 11:42 PM
Boise State was ranked 9th and we were 7th in the Fiesta Bowl. I don't think you can call it the biggest upset. Upset, yes, biggest, not by a long shot.

I thought they were rated higher than OU, but it could be a different poll. Certainly not a huge upset as we had a scrappy, but not great team that year.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/5/2014, 12:39 AM
Utah over Bama was the biggest upset ever. Not even a close comparison.

Salt City Sooner
1/5/2014, 03:22 AM
I thought they were rated higher than OU, but it could be a different poll. Certainly not a huge upset as we had a scrappy, but not great team that year.
They were higher in the final BCS poll:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2006_archive_bcs.html

Don't know if you're referring to point spreads, but by game time, the spread for Utah/Bama was down to Bama - 9. OU/Bama was Tide -17.

Oh, & FWIW, OU a 7 point favorite vs. BSU. As much as I loved that team's guts/will, a lot of people forget that they were quite fortunate to be in that game. If the 'horns don't pull off the dreaded double choke to end the year against a mediocre KSU (Colt got hurt, putting Snead in & they almost pulled it off anyway) & a decent A&M (in Austin on Sr. day), OU's not in Tempe that night.

sendbaht
1/5/2014, 05:16 AM

THIS!

Dan Thompson
1/5/2014, 01:02 PM
I hope the media takes the SOL off their replay list and adds the reverse TD play after the turnover.

oupride
1/5/2014, 01:20 PM
I hope the media takes the SOL off their replay list and adds the reverse TD play after the turnover.
Will there be another Fiesta bowl? If so, I think we will see the SOL replay again unfortunately.

UteSooner
1/5/2014, 05:30 PM

For what it's worth, that Utah team was loaded with future draft picks. It was a very talented team. Wasn't the biggest BCS upset ever IMO.

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 05:54 PM
For what it's worth, that Utah team was loaded with future draft picks. It was a very talented team. Wasn't the biggest BCS upset ever IMO.

Yeah, somebody will create a Top Ten stunner list. The Boise SOL
will be #2, right behind Allbarn's 107 yd missed field goal return!
#3 will be the Oregon debacle...you know, where Patrick DIDN'T
have the ball in his hand.

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2014, 06:16 PM

BCS rankings were OU 10th and BSU 8th. At least I assume they used BCS rankings for the telecast.

Scott D
1/6/2014, 04:54 PM
Silly people, biggest upset was Vince over U$C ;)

soonerloyal
1/6/2014, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the new sig. +1 green.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2014, 12:46 AM
Point spread wise, yes. Reality wise, no.

The biggest upset in BCS history did happen this year, but in Glendale when UCF beat Baylor. That point spread was similar to the Sugar Bowl spread, but had a mid major winning it.

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2014, 01:35 AM
Tonight was the only BCS game this year in which the underdog didn't win. Kind of a fitting capper to it.