PDA

View Full Version : Corey Nelson's final appeal denied.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 07:18 PM
The last hope for Nelson was squashed, and his career at OU is officially over.

Nelson came in with a lot of hype, and showed some real flash early in his career at OU. Then 2012 happened. Things really seemed to change for Corey last past off season, and he looked like he was on his way to putting 2012 behind him, and showing the fans why he was at OU. There are always guys that I hate to see leave, but that's how the college game works. Seeing Millard go down with his injury was a lot like seeing Broyles go down. However, both of those guys really made a mark at OU, and we had been fortunate to see so many good plays from them. Nelson was on the brink of that when he went down. There was some optimism within the program that the NCAA would show a little mercy, given the lack of playing time in 2012, but it wasn't meant to be.

Corey posted a sad 'goodbye' to Sooner fans on his Twitter site today. He did close with "I haven't strapped up the pads for the final time yet..."

Maybe STEP can provide some insight into his draft chances, but I have to think he has at least a shot to make a practice squad (assuming he recovers). Either way, I'm glad Nelson was a Sooner, and I'm glad he got to be part of this year's success.

Widescreen
1/4/2014, 07:36 PM
No real surprise. There was no reason to grant a waiver. Good luck, Corey.

oupride
1/4/2014, 09:28 PM
Thank you Corey.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 10:17 PM
No real surprise. There was no reason to grant a waiver. Good luck, Corey.

That was ultimately what killed his chances. With the appeal, they were trying to use his lack of playing time last year, but the NCAA wasn't buying it.

I understand why the rule is in place, but I think the NCAA should rethink this one (among others). Not necessarily for Nelson, but I think a lot of guys get the raw end of the deal when dealing with injuries.

todd_shelton87
1/4/2014, 10:43 PM
Everyone remembers Jordan Shipley getting the 6th year senior medical redshirt.

Nelson deserved a 5th year, but he will either be a late draft pick or rookie free agent addition.

Hope to watch him battle his way onto a 53 man roster. The Norte Dame game was probably his best game at OU,

soonergirlNeugene
1/5/2014, 05:25 AM
Thanks Corey. I look forward to watching you on Sundays.

King Barry's Back
1/5/2014, 05:34 AM
Good luck on Sunday.

SouthFortySooner
1/5/2014, 11:58 AM
He was playing with controlled abandon. I think one would have to be to tear a pectoral muscle. Ouch!

Piware
1/5/2014, 04:39 PM
What a shame, what a disappointment for a young man who had such great promise. Hope he makes a fully recovery and an NFL team. Several that could really use him come to mind.

Dixon
1/5/2014, 07:01 PM
I understand the rule and the potential for abuse, but I really think the NCAA should be defaulting toward keeping kids in college. Corey's facts were such that there was no abuse involved. Better for everyone to keep him at the University, but mostly good for Corey. Oh well. Disappointing.

Best of luck to Corey.

8timechamps
1/5/2014, 07:36 PM
I understand the rule and the potential for abuse, but I really think the NCAA should be defaulting toward keeping kids in college. Corey's facts were such that there was no abuse involved. Better for everyone to keep him at the University, but mostly good for Corey. Oh well. Disappointing.

Best of luck to Corey.

You would think so, but the NCAA is all over the board with what they are trying to do. They say every move is to "protect the best interest of the student athlete", but I have trouble believing that.

You'd think they could/would take into account a players overall conduct when handing out waivers, but apparently that's not part of the process.

olevetonahill
1/5/2014, 07:41 PM
That was ultimately what killed his chances. With the appeal, they were trying to use his lack of playing time last year, but the NCAA wasn't buying it.

I understand why the rule is in place, but I think the NCAA should rethink this one (among others). Not necessarily for Nelson, but I think a lot of guys get the raw end of the deal when dealing with injuries.

Pretty simple IMHO. If a Kid misses a Game due to Injury then he should get ONE more game of eligibility.
Miss 5 Games they get 5 and so on.