PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Baylor

picasso
1/4/2014, 04:55 PM
Our finish and bowl victory with their league title and dud BCS effort?
Not I.

lexsooner
1/4/2014, 05:25 PM
Nope, not even close. The problem with winning the Big 12 BCS bowl berth was you had to play in the Fiesta Bowl against an unglamorous opponent. I think this is why OU teams have won the Big 12 and looked great and then had little motivation and laid an egg against lesser opponents in the Fiesta. I'm glad that is a thing of the past. If we had played with Sugar Bowl intensity in the Fiesta, there is no way we would have lost to Boise or WV.

cherokeebrewer
1/4/2014, 05:32 PM
That was an epic win over the defending national champs...I aint tradin'

Eielson
1/4/2014, 05:34 PM
Not with our history. We have tons of Big XII Championships, and not many BCS Bowl wins.

Eielson
1/4/2014, 05:37 PM
But for them, I don't think they would trade spots with us. I'd take their season over Kansas' a few years back. Winning the Big XII is a bigger deal IMO than a Fiesta Bowl victory, especially since the BCS era is over.

picasso
1/4/2014, 05:41 PM
Kind of my stance also. We've won the league enough and laid an egg in Tempe.
I'm not sure some people are grasping how bad we thumped Goliath.

SoonerPride
1/4/2014, 06:12 PM
Yes I would.

League titles > bowl games.

Besides aren't y'all always saying bowl games don't mean anything?

I am thrilled OU won the game. But it is not better than a Championship. It's just not.

SoonerorLater
1/4/2014, 06:16 PM
As it turns out, no given the way the cards fell. The win over Alabama seems to have done more for our national perception than any other outcome.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/4/2014, 06:17 PM
WINNING one's bowl game is IMPERATIVE, IMHO.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 06:18 PM
Yes I would.

League titles > bowl games.

Besides aren't y'all always saying bowl games don't mean anything?

I am thrilled OU won the game. But it is not better than a Championship. It's just not.

I dunno. Ordinarily, I would agree with you outright. But this seems like a special set of facts at hand. I think there's more mileage in no league championship, but beating Bama, than a league championship but the stain of getting whooped by UCF.

Like many things in life, timing can be crucial. And at this time, I think there is more value in being in our shoes than Baylor's.

ouwasp
1/4/2014, 06:20 PM
In a way, the Baylor loss took a small part of the sting of the loss to Tex. A loss to that crappy UT team is hard to swallow...but just think how bad it would taste if the Red River game was OU's only loss.

Widescreen
1/4/2014, 06:23 PM
Typically I would say yes because I still value conference championships. However, we have a bunch of those. We needed a Sugar Bowl win and to get it over Bama was absolutely sweet.

SoonerPride
1/4/2014, 06:24 PM
I understand the feeling. But I think it is a false sense of inflated ego bc we won a bowl game.

OSU has won a lot of bowl games lately. But it's league titles that count. And they've got 1.

People will remember league titles 40 years from now more than bowl games.

Do you really care about the 1972 Sugar Bowl?

But those conference titles year in and year out matter.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 06:28 PM
Typically I would say yes because I still value conference championships. However, we have a bunch of those. We needed a Sugar Bowl win and to get it over Bama was absolutely sweet.

Exactly! I meant to say that in my previous post. We already have many conference championships. What we needed right now, was to be viewed as an elite program again. A win over the cream of the SEC does that better than another Big XII championship. If we had gotten only the latter, it would have been negated with the standard, "Well, the Big XII is so weak right now, blah, blah, blah…"

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 06:28 PM
I kinda like the spot we've been given, and especially the outcome. Thumping Bama was great.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 06:32 PM
I kinda like the spot we've been given, and especially the outcome. Thumping Bama was great.

Easy…I am ecstatic with the win too. But saying we "thumped them" is a bit strong. Bama damn near gave as good as it got. You haven't thumped someone when you're still on the edge of your seat with 2 minutes left in the game. I was, and I know you were too!

SoonerPride
1/4/2014, 06:35 PM
I agree. We stood toe to toe with them. We beat them and it was clearly no fluke.

But we didn't thump them.

This was no Texas sized 63-14 beat down.

We won. And that's enough for big underdogs and a young team.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 06:35 PM
Wouldn't trade and I don't care what it looks like in 40 years. A current big knock on the program (and deserved, IMO) is that it doesn't produce teams that can win bowl games against highly regarded competition. Circumstances this year allowed OU to go a long way to remedy that. It would have been great to win the conference and then beat Bama, but that wasn't possible.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't trade and I don't care what it looks like in 40 years. A current big knock on the program (and deserved, IMO) is that it doesn't produce teams that can win bowl games against highly regarded competition. Circumstances this year allowed OU to go a long way to remedy that. It would have been great to win the conference and then beat Bama, but that wasn't possible.

Agree 100%. Another CC was not the medicine that was most needed NOW.

GDN
1/4/2014, 06:37 PM
Historically people look back and look for the number of trophy's sitting on a shelf, but I think this win was so big it will always be remembered. Baylors trophy will always be with a huge egg laid at the bowl game like a few of ours. We will remember this bowl win much more than a Big XII Trophy. This win was so much bigger for the program and school than a conference win ever would have been. Huge for recruiting and setting us up for next season.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 06:38 PM
I agree. We stood toe to toe with them. We beat them and it was clearly no fluke.

But we didn't thump them.

This was no Texas sized 63-14 beat down.

We won. And that's enough for big underdogs and a young team.

I think if we thumped Bama, it would actually been a negative. They have the talent and coaching such that no team should be able to thump them and if it happened, it could only be because they were unmotivated to be there. Some will claim that anyway, but it was evident by watching the game that wasn't true. They played hard.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 06:39 PM
A 14 pt win is one mans close game and another mans thumping. Alls I'm saying when you a 17 pt dog but you win by 14 is a 31 pt swing. It's a thumping in my book.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 06:47 PM
A 14 pt win is one mans close game and another mans thumping. Alls I'm saying when you a 17 pt dog but you win by 14 is a 31 pt swing. It's a thumping in my book.

I'll have to disagree on that one. The 17pt dog means nothing other than perception and is not relevant on the field. The last 7 points were a result of the game situation and distorts the nature of the contest. The fact is that the game wasn't decided until Stiker hit McCarron and forced a fumble with 47 seconds left to play. Bama was in a dire situation needing a TD in less than a minute to force OT, but they had gotten many big plays all game, so it was certainly possible.

Piware
1/4/2014, 06:51 PM
Not me. I hate that stinkin' Fiesta Bowl and the Sugar Bowl win was epic. Wouldn't trade it for 2 Bix XII titles.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 06:53 PM
I'll have to disagree on that one. The 17pt dog means nothing other than perception and is not relevant on the field. The last 7 points were a result of the game situation and distorts the nature of the contest. The fact is that the game wasn't decided until Stiker hit McCarron and forced a fumble with 47 seconds left to play. Bama was in a dire situation needing a TD in less than a minute to force OT, but they had gotten many big plays all game, so it was certainly possible.

I respect your opinion to disagree. Where do we go from here?

Wishboned
1/4/2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't even have to think about it. No way.

I'm still pumped over Thursday's game.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 06:58 PM

Don't need to go anywhere. Simply agree to disagree.

As I said in an earlier post on a different thread, all well-intentioned Sooner fans will never agree on all issues. Nor will any of us always be right. Hell, I was recently dead wrong (thank god) when I thought Alabama would destroy us and cover the spread. And I'm $500 lighter in the wallet because of it. But it's the best $500 I've ever lost

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2014, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't. Conference championships are great and more important but I think this game provided the stage Bob needed to get back the perception of a big time coach that pulls in big time recruits. It kind of feels like we're the it program again.

Beating UCF in the lousy Fiesta Bowl would not provide that exposure.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 07:20 PM
Houston and boulder could be the same user. Am I drunk?

Sonner magic923
1/4/2014, 07:27 PM
Historically people look back and look for the number of trophy's sitting on a shelf, but I think this win was so big it will always be remembered. Baylors trophy will always be with a huge egg laid at the bowl game like a few of ours. We will remember this bowl win much more than a Big XII Trophy. This win was so much bigger for the program and school than a conference win ever would have been. Huge for recruiting and setting us up for next season.

http://mvictors.com/WordPress/images/2009/1-trophy.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR57hTlXo9V2h4Vs4O6NUme6VQbPd0g lhvxRYzJiasc78tA0rm

Well if were talking trophies....heh

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 07:39 PM
Since neither one of them have quoted me on my last comment,,I guess I'm not drunk! Cheers!

OhU1
1/4/2014, 07:49 PM
Winning the conference title is a dime a dozen to OU under Stoops. Being in Baylor's shoes and getting punked in the BCS by a nobody would make OU an even bigger BCS laughingstock. Taking back our national pride and whipping the SEC 800 pound gorilla in Sugar Bowl is close to being on a par with a MNC as far as I'm concerned. Joe Mixon seems to think so.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 07:49 PM

I guess I'll just be hard-headed and go on believing the illusion that sealing a game with less than a minute to play is not a thumping. And if we had lost the game by 1 point, the 17 its underdog thing would not have made me feel any better. Just a personal problem I must deal with.

EDIT: I did have a thought. If we had a poll of the fans here of "Who was still on the edge of their seats on Bama's last possession?" How do you think the percentages would turn out between Yes and No? I would have voted yes.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 07:51 PM
Houston and boulder could be the same user. Am I drunk?

Have you ever seen us in the same room at the same time? But I've never been to Houston.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 07:56 PM
Clap,,,clap,,,boulder replied. Houston we got a problem! Lol

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 07:58 PM
Clap,,,clap,,,boulder replied. Houston we got a problem! Lol

Not sure what that means, but you're welcome.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 08:04 PM
I gotta get Houston to chime in too. Boulder is big nuts. Where is Houston?

AzianSooner
1/4/2014, 08:10 PM
The problem with winning the Big 12 BCS bowl berth was you had to play in the Fiesta Bowl against an unglamorous opponent. I think this is why OU teams have won the Big 12 and looked great and then had little motivation and laid an egg against lesser opponents in the Fiesta.

Not anymore. I think next year the big 12 champ will play the SEC champ at Sugar bowl.

King Crimson
1/4/2014, 08:12 PM
in the moment, this is a win that should be a big builder for recruiting. we beat the Goliath of the SEC in their backyard.

in the always always, i wouldn't trade with Baylor for anything (except for the transfer of Epke Udoh). congrats on the conf championship....and you spanked us....but doesn't mean i'm washing your car. we are still Oklahoma and they are a team people think is a one or three season flash in the pan until they prove they aren't.

as far as point spreads, we were 8 point faves over Boise. an OU team that had 2 losses** and was ranked between 15 and 20 most of the year. but that was the biggest the upset of all freaking time. they say***. we won the big XII with smoke and mirrors, Paul Thompson and Allen Patrick. somehow ended the season winning at ATM and Mizzou. crept into the top 10 after beating Bill Callahan in Kansas City. but media perception has always been that was some kind of Sooner juggernaut. i loved that team, still do. but, that was not a vintage OU team.

**though one of them was the screw job at Oregon.

***until Appalachian State won at Michigan the next season (i think).

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 08:17 PM
Sorry Picasso for hijacking the thread.

cleller
1/4/2014, 08:19 PM
No way. The Big 12 thing is nothingness. Beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl this year was much better.

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 08:46 PM
No. Boulder and I are not one and the same. It's not the Bruce Wayne/Batman thing. Just chalk it up to the old saying about great minds...:rapture:

PalmBeachSooner
1/4/2014, 08:59 PM
But it is not better than a Championship. It's just not.

I think beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl did much more for the program than a Big XII Championship would, at least this year. We won a non-Fiesta Bowl BCS game against the best program in the country. Short of playing in the BCS championship game I'd rather be playing a meaningful game than playing an up-and-comer in the Fiesta.

PalmBeachSooner
1/4/2014, 09:03 PM
I understand the feeling. But I think it is a false sense of inflated ego bc we won a bowl game.

OSU has won a lot of bowl games lately. But it's league titles that count. And they've got 1.

People will remember league titles 40 years from now more than bowl games.

But those conference titles year in and year out matter.

I do care about it and I remember watching that game as a 12 year old. I don't remember conference championships just that we have won a bunch.

SoonerMarkVA
1/4/2014, 09:05 PM
In two words:

No. Way.

blacktop
1/4/2014, 09:10 PM
I would trade any win except Bama, ND, or lil' brother for a whorn victory. Bama & ND in one year feels good except for that whorn loss. It will always stick in my craw. Tough to swallow.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 09:10 PM
No. Boulder and I are not one and the same. It's not the Bruce Wayne/Batman thing. Just chalk it up to the old saying about great minds...:rapture:

Ah,,,I got got it! ;)

yermom
1/4/2014, 09:11 PM
think back to 2002

that season we beat Texas, won the conference (and beat a decent Bama team in a game closer than the score) and won the Rose Bowl

this was still better.

we beat Notre Dame, and won three straight games outside of Norman where we were dogs, two of them by double digits.

the way this season ended was magic. i haven't been this happy at the end of the season since we won #7

oupride
1/4/2014, 09:12 PM

Snrinhouston
1/4/2014, 09:13 PM
I would trade any win except Bama, ND, or lil' brother for a whorn victory. Bama & ND in one year feels good except for that whorn loss. It will always stick in my craw. Tough to swallow.

For some reason I'm not as bothered by this year's UT loss as I normally would be. I think it's two reasons.

1. We'd beaten them three years straight.
2. Strong belief that we'll beat them again next year.

1/5/2014, 01:37 AM

But those conference titles year in and year out matter.Auburn after the 1971 season was NOT the 2 time defending national champion, and rated #1 most of the current season. Alabama in 2013 was EXACTLY that.

1/5/2014, 01:40 AM
Wouldn't trade and I don't care what it looks like in 40 years. A current big knock on the program (and deserved, IMO) is that it doesn't produce teams that can win bowl games against highly regarded competition. Circumstances this year allowed OU to go a long way to remedy that. It would have been great to win the conference and then beat Bama, but that wasn't possible.Ain't rocket science, is it!

1/5/2014, 01:41 AM
Historically people look back and look for the number of trophy's sitting on a shelf, but I think this win was so big it will always be remembered. Baylors trophy will always be with a huge egg laid at the bowl game like a few of ours. We will remember this bowl win much more than a Big XII Trophy. This win was so much bigger for the program and school than a conference win ever would have been. Huge for recruiting and setting us up for next season.Sums it up!

1/5/2014, 01:47 AM
Winning the conference title is a dime a dozen to OU under Stoops. Being in Baylor's shoes and getting punked in the BCS by a nobody would make OU an even bigger BCS laughingstock. Taking back our national pride and whipping the SEC 800 pound gorilla in Sugar Bowl is close to being on a par with a MNC as far as I'm concerned. Joe Mixon seems to think so.just ask the man in the street fan which bowl team impressed more, OU or Baylor?

1/5/2014, 02:01 AM
think back to 2002

that season we beat Texas, won the conference (and beat a decent Bama team in a game closer than the score) and won the Rose Bowl

this was still better.

we beat Notre Dame, and won three straight games outside of Norman where we were dogs, two of them by double digits.

the way this season ended was magic. i haven't been this happy at the end of the season since we won #7me too. Beating norte d. AND ending the season by beating 2time defending NC bAMA > beating WSU and UConn X Many.

Sonner magic923
1/5/2014, 02:06 AM
Not to mention by winning the Sugar Bowl Ou will stand alone as the only team to win all 4 BCS Bowls.

soonergirlNeugene
1/5/2014, 05:19 AM
This is the one exception to the rule. Being the team to singlehandedly take the shine off of the SEC after this many years? Sugar is sweet. Also, the fiesta bowl can go diaf.

King Barry's Back
1/5/2014, 05:38 AM
As it turns out, no given the way the cards fell. The win over Alabama seems to have done more for our national perception than any other outcome.

This. Winning the conference and losing the Fiesta would have further cemented our recent reputation for mediocrity. Smashing Bama eliminated it. That pays intangible awards in prestige, recruiting, etc-- but next year may well pay tangible benefits in terms of winning a playoff berth over a second SEC team.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2014, 05:53 AM
Our finish and bowl victory with their league title and dud BCS effort?
Not I.

Were it not for the conference championship, I definitely would.

tooslow
1/5/2014, 10:02 AM
You could also look at it this way: would we rather lose to UCF in the Fiesta, or beat Bama in the Sugar? Seems like a no-brainer. As many have mentioned, the national perception and recruiting assistance with the win over Bama will do much more for OU than a loss in the Fiesta would have. I live in TN and all I heard before the game is that we can't beat any SEC teams in a BCS Bowl. The Friday after the game was one of the best days at work ever.

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2014, 10:46 AM
Were it not for the conference championship, I definitely would.

For Baylor, I completely understand this. It's your first and only XII championship, so it's precious. For OU, while getting the 8th XII championship would of course be nice, it's nowhere near the importance of what winning the Sugar meant: knocking off the SEC's juggernaut and making us the only school to win in every BCS bowl.

yermom
1/5/2014, 11:24 AM
9th

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2014, 05:05 PM
For Baylor, I completely understand this. It's your first and only XII championship, so it's precious. For OU, while getting the 8th XII championship would of course be nice, it's nowhere near the importance of what winning the Sugar meant: knocking off the SEC's juggernaut and making us the only school to win in every BCS bowl.

I fully agree.

Jacie
1/5/2014, 05:13 PM
This was no ordinary bowl win, as opposed to say beating UConn.

Sooners beat the defending national champion in what was the equivalent of their neighborhood (not quite their backyard, LSU claims that).

It was also beyond the ordinary based on the betting line, a double-digit underdog winning outright by double digits.

Yes, championships are remembered over bowl games but something tells me this one will be remembered for a long time.

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 05:19 PM
Sooners beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl STUNNED college football,
a heckuva lot more than a conference title and playing in the Fiesta
Bowl would have. UCF is a lot better than folks thought and Baylor
got schooled. So, no, I wouldn't trade Baylor at all. 'Sides all that,
the Sooner Magic tees are rilly kewl!!!!!

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 05:21 PM
This was no ordinary bowl win, as opposed to say beating UConn.

Sooners beat the defending national champion in what was the equivalent of their neighborhood (not quite their backyard, LSU claims that).

It was also beyond the ordinary based on the betting line, a double-digit underdog winning outright by double digits.

Yes, championships are remembered over bowl games but something tells me this one will be remembered for a long time.

Sugar Bowl is home field for ANY SEC team.

KYSooner
1/6/2014, 12:30 AM
The only thing I would rather have than the win vs bama would be #8...and this win is not far behind that. Everyone knows that bama should be playing FSU...auburn caught lightning in a bottle twice and that's why they're where they are in the championship. We just b1tchslapped the sec's finest and I could not be happier unless the win was in Pasadena. I hate the sec, their 10 crappy teams in the conference that think they are better because they are in the conference, their chant, there fans, and even their bleacher diving white trash m1lfs that should be on Jerry springer. While I respect what their conference has done and realize its tougher than ours...I hate the sec and and still have a halfy over this win.