PDA

View Full Version : Soooo.... UCF

soonergirlNeugene
1/3/2014, 08:05 PM
Been kinda turning this one over the past few days. Would adding UCF to the B12 open up Florida recruiting like aTm did for Texas and the SEC?

Sonner magic923
1/3/2014, 11:39 PM
Certainly sounds reasonable to me. Pick up FAU while you at it and get back to 12

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2014, 02:30 AM
Baylor laid an egg. We didn't bring Boise into the conference. The big recruiting schools in Florida don't include ucf

soonergirlNeugene
1/4/2014, 03:25 AM
Well I wasn't thinking about it as UCF doing the recruiting, but having regular games in Florida couldn't hurt. I'd also like to get back to having a CCG. Additionally, it would increase the B12 footprint into a larger media market that is rich with recruits. Plus, I'm sure WVU would like to have a couple more schools in the same time zone.

fadada1
1/4/2014, 07:59 AM
Baylor laid an egg. We didn't bring Boise into the conference. The big recruiting schools in Florida don't include ucf
If we brought Boise in, you think that might open up the untapped Idaho recruiting hotbed?

kevpks
1/4/2014, 12:13 PM
Certainly sounds reasonable to me. Pick up FAU while you at it and get back to 12

Would South Florida be a better option than FAU? They had it going for awhile under Leavitt.

sooneron
1/4/2014, 04:00 PM
Grab Clemson instead.

swardboy
1/4/2014, 04:07 PM
FAU stadium only seats 30,000, while UCF seats 45,000.
Got this off the UCF website. Had no idea the university is so large:
ABOUT UCFThe University of Central Florida and its 12 colleges provide opportunities to 60,000 students from all 50 states and 140 countries. Located in Orlando, Florida, UCF is the nation’s second-largest university. UCF is called a “Top Up-and-Coming” national university by U.S. News & World Report, a best-value university by The Princeton Review and Kiplinger’s, and one of the nation’s most affordable colleges by Forbes.

swardboy
1/4/2014, 04:11 PM
Whoa, South Florida stadium seats 65,000. AND LEROY SELMON IS CONSIDERED THE "FATHER OF USF FOOTBALL." That settles it!!!!

bluedogok
1/4/2014, 04:27 PM
Would South Florida be a better option than FAU? They had it going for awhile under Leavitt.
Schnellenberger was FAU, LeeRoy Selmon was USF......

I think USF and UCF would be better options than some out there.

UteSooner
1/5/2014, 05:50 PM
We shouldn't expand unless it's the Clemson-Florida State deal....or something of that stature. If that doesn't happen (and it won't)...we should just wait out the grant of rights without expanding. I'm a Pac-16 guy myself...

rock on sooner
1/5/2014, 05:56 PM
Grab Clemson instead.

Yup, then we could say "Fire Venables" all over again!

oupride
1/5/2014, 06:14 PM
Been kinda turning this one over the past few days. Would adding UCF to the B12 open up Florida recruiting like aTm did for Texas and the SEC?
Sounds good to me.

ouflak
1/6/2014, 03:18 AM
Well as a long time former Florida resident (and almost an undergrad at FSU), as well as a regular annual visitor to see my family, I can tell you that UCF has less than zero following in that state. It's all Florida/FSU/Miami as far as college ball is concerned for the Florida schools. If you go to any gas station in anywhere, Florida, you will likely find them selling some kind of college football memorabilia for those 3 schools. You couldn't even find UCF memorabilia at a gas station in Orlando a mile away from their campus. That's not an exaggeration. That's just the way it is. Ask any of their fans on their own boards and they will tell you the same thing (to their sincere frustration).

I'm happy for them that they got the win, and I'm sure there are a few hopefuls among their fanbase who have genuine hope that the Fiesta bowl win will bring them some greater recognition. But let's all be clear, that is a project all the way. And frankly, the Big XII can't afford any more projects.

badger
1/6/2014, 09:16 AM
Truth: Texas was shopping for Big 12 expansion, not a head coach, these last few weeks. Why else were they talking to coaches *wink wink* at Florida State, Louisville, Clemson...?

yes I'm joking but it would be funny if true

BigTip
1/6/2014, 10:09 AM
Don't get a school in to raise their stature. Get schools in to raise ours.
Clemson and Florida State would be sweet.
That would stir up a nice Big 12 - SEC thing pretty good.

SoonerMarkVA
1/6/2014, 10:21 AM
If we could fill out the "Big 16" with the top 5 ACC schools + ND, that conference would vault up to the SEC in football and the top in basketball (and be pretty darn good in baseball, too). I don't know how that happens, but that's the kind of expansion I would be behind. That would give us a nice Eastern 8/Western 8, where I guess ISU has to suck it up and go to the east.

badger
1/6/2014, 10:51 AM
Let's make an alliance with the SEC -- our 10 and their 14 to bring us to 24. Then we can split into two 12-team divisions east and west, rekindle some old rivalries, be the strongest college football alliance in the history of forever, and make ESPN and others pay us all even more money.

I'll tie Mizzou's hands, someone get Mizzou's legs as we drag them screaming back west. Someone will have to gag A&M, as they may swallow cyanide before they swallow the fact that they'd be Texas' little brother again :rcmad:

bluedogok
1/7/2014, 12:39 AM
Well as a long time former Florida resident (and almost an undergrad at FSU), as well as a regular annual visitor to see my family, I can tell you that UCF has less than zero following in that state. It's all Florida/FSU/Miami as far as college ball is concerned for the Florida schools. If you go to any gas station in anywhere, Florida, you will likely find them selling some kind of college football memorabilia for those 3 schools. You couldn't even find UCF memorabilia at a gas station in Orlando a mile away from their campus. That's not an exaggeration. That's just the way it is. Ask any of their fans on their own boards and they will tell you the same thing (to their sincere frustration).

I'm happy for them that they got the win, and I'm sure there are a few hopefuls among their fanbase who have genuine hope that the Fiesta bowl win will bring them some greater recognition. But let's all be clear, that is a project all the way. And frankly, the Big XII can't afford any more projects.
If anything the latest rounds of expansion showed that TV market size is all that mattered, fan base really didn't seem to factor into any of the decisions.

Scott D
1/7/2014, 12:44 AM
Let's make an alliance with the SEC -- our 10 and their 14 to bring us to 24. Then we can split into two 12-team divisions east and west, rekindle some old rivalries, be the strongest college football alliance in the history of forever, and make ESPN and others pay us all even more money.

I'll tie Mizzou's hands, someone get Mizzou's legs as we drag them screaming back west. Someone will have to gag A&M, as they may swallow cyanide before they swallow the fact that they'd be Texas' little brother again :rcmad:

you do realize the schedule nightmare you just created right?