PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Bowl thoughts...

8timechamps
1/3/2014, 04:38 PM
What I enjoyed most about this game is the fact that OU earned the victory. In other words, this wasn't a result of some Auburn hangover, or Bama's disinterest in the game. That's something I heard plenty prior to the game...if Bama lost, it would be because they weren't interested. That wasn't the case. In fact, this was much like a heavy weight fight, with each fighter getting knocked to the canvass and getting back up. Except OU landed the fatal blow, and Bama couldn't recover. If there were any doubts that Bama wasn't ready for this game, they faded immediately (when the Tide scored their first TD with apparent ease). There were three different times Bama took the lead, and the Sooners could have given in and I don't think anyone would have doubted their toughness. But, that's not what this team is about. This team fights. This team never gives up. This team doesn't accept a forgone conclusion, or feel entitled to anything.

Trevor Knight is the future for OU. Not many (if anyone) outside of the locker room expected to see Knight do what he did last night. He made throw after throw that we hadn't really seen all year. Long scoring throws, lasers that he fit into unbelievably small windows and touch throws. He stood tall in the pocket and used his legs as a last resort. He certainly didn't look like a redshirt Freshman in a QB rotation. He looked like he had 'been there before'. He looked like the future.

Geno Grissom has been a fixture this year. Rarely have the media (or fans) talked about Grissom. He's had good numbers in almost every game, but he's played in the shadows all year. This is a kid that came to OU as a DE, agreed to move to TE just to see the field, and moved back to DE. I've watched him play well all year, but never at the level we saw last night. The Bama O-line was frustrated and confused. They made adjustment after adjustment, changed formations and personnel, but could never find an answer to the OU pass rush. And Grissom led the way.

Eric Striker doesn't have an NFL body, but he certainly has the NFL pass rush down. Bama's Cyrus Kouandjio is the best OT in the nation (according to the AP All-American voters) and the best in the SEC. Eric Striker lived in his head all night. Kouandjio had no answers for Striker, and even holding offered little help. If there were a defensive player of the game award for the Sugar Bowl, Eric Striker would have won it...twice.

I remember the feeling I had in past years, when the Sooners were facing a third and long. I knew if Landry could find Broyles, the chances that we would convert were very good. I'm starting to have that feeling with Knight and Sheppard. While Saunders and Bester played great, and have given us some outstanding memories this year, Sheppard embodies what it means to be a Sooner. And he has stepped into a role that should provide some great memories to come.

In the end, the only excuse Alabama has is that they were outplayed and outcoached. We know what that feels like, and they do too. The Sooners can play with anyone in the country. Coach Stoops hasn't "lost it", and Josh Heuple isn't "in over his head". We, as fans, get down on the team and staff from time to time, but in the end, Stoops still knows whats best for the program.

The best part about last night's win is how many guys we have coming back next year. I think the QB 'controversy' has been settled, and things are looking really, really good for 2014/15.

As always, it's a great time to be a Sooner.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 04:46 PM
What I enjoyed most about this game is the fact that OU earned the victory

Thanks, 8time. Your opening line sums it up for me - OU earned it. Sure Bama made mistakes, but so did OU but OUr guys capitalized better on them. The victory was earned by repeatedly executing clutch plays on offense and defense. None of it was easy. A win is great only against great competition and this one fully qualifies.

SoonerSon
1/3/2014, 10:14 PM
Well stated, 8time!

This was a team win...with so many stepping up and making plays...doing their part. Especially liked the play of Grissom and thought it was cool to see him at the end of the game kneeling down, absorbing the gravity of the situation and how well he played. He was fun to watch...as were Striker, Bester, Saunders, Sheppard, Clay...and of course, Knight. Was sad to see Millard in street clothes. Sanchez got picked on a little, but was redeemed with the pick. I must say I was getting nervous with the clock mgmt. on the last drive...but it worked out just fine.

A game for the ages...and nice to see a well executed win. I like it when the Sooners are the underdog...they have purpose and typically play with much more swagger and urgency. Am very excited for next season!! BOOMER!

rock on sooner
1/3/2014, 10:32 PM
What I enjoyed most about this game is the fact that OU earned the victory. In other words, this wasn't a result of some Auburn hangover, or Bama's disinterest in the game. That's something I heard plenty prior to the game...if Bama lost, it would be because they weren't interested. That wasn't the case. In fact, this was much like a heavy weight fight, with each fighter getting knocked to the canvass and getting back up. Except OU landed the fatal blow, and Bama couldn't recover. If there were any doubts that Bama wasn't ready for this game, they faded immediately (when the Tide scored their first TD with apparent ease). There were three different times Bama took the lead, and the Sooners could have given in and I don't think anyone would have doubted their toughness. But, that's not what this team is about. This team fights. This team never gives up. This team doesn't accept a forgone conclusion, or feel entitled to anything.

Trevor Knight is the future for OU. Not many (if anyone) outside of the locker room expected to see Knight do what he did last night. He made throw after throw that we hadn't really seen all year. Long scoring throws, lasers that he fit into unbelievably small windows and touch throws. He stood tall in the pocket and used his legs as a last resort. He certainly didn't look like a redshirt Freshman in a QB rotation. He looked like he had 'been there before'. He looked like the future.

Geno Grissom has been a fixture this year. Rarely have the media (or fans) talked about Grissom. He's had good numbers in almost every game, but he's played in the shadows all year. This is a kid that came to OU as a DE, agreed to move to TE just to see the field, and moved back to DE. I've watched him play well all year, but never at the level we saw last night. The Bama O-line was frustrated and confused. They made adjustment after adjustment, changed formations and personnel, but could never find an answer to the OU pass rush. And Grissom led the way.

Eric Striker doesn't have an NFL body, but he certainly has the NFL pass rush down. Bama's Cyrus Kouandjio is the best OT in the nation (according to the AP All-American voters) and the best in the SEC. Eric Striker lived in his head all night. Kouandjio had no answers for Striker, and even holding offered little help. If there were a defensive player of the game award for the Sugar Bowl, Eric Striker would have won it...twice.

I remember the feeling I had in past years, when the Sooners were facing a third and long. I knew if Landry could find Broyles, the chances that we would convert were very good. I'm starting to have that feeling with Knight and Sheppard. While Saunders and Bester played great, and have given us some outstanding memories this year, Sheppard embodies what it means to be a Sooner. And he has stepped into a role that should provide some great memories to come.

In the end, the only excuse Alabama has is that they were outplayed and outcoached. We know what that feels like, and they do too. The Sooners can play with anyone in the country. Coach Stoops hasn't "lost it", and Josh Heuple isn't "in over his head". We, as fans, get down on the team and staff from time to time, but in the end, Stoops still knows whats best for the program.

The best part about last night's win is how many guys we have coming back next year. I think the QB 'controversy' has been settled, and things are looking really, really good for 2014/15.

As always, it's a great time to be a Sooner.

Welp, 8x, ya went and done it! I've been thinkin about how to sum up
this Sooner year...with my sentiments and reality. Thanks, you done good
on both counts! Tk's greatest is coming in 2015, IMO. He'll get a full year
in 2014 (healthy?) and a bunch of mature wideouts, a productive Ford and
a really good, deep o-line. Come 2015, can you say Heisman (at least finalist)?
and probably gone to NFL, as well...and it'll start all over again. I still REALLy
wish Josh would come down from the press box and coach our QB's, but I know
he wants to move up. If he keeps up with his play calling like last night then
he'll be gone by 2015 anyway.

After watching Stoops' after game presser and seeing the look on his face after
a couple questions (most really good ones, too.) I'm pretty sure our D is gonna
be awesome and our O is gonna be scary...it is amazing what a big game win can
and does do, for the fans and the coaches' confidence. SO, the state of the Sooners
is sound, strong, positive and exciting. Come on, 2014! I can hardly wait!...

SanJoaquinSooner
1/3/2014, 10:37 PM
The Alabama defensive game plan was to shut down the run option and dare us to beat them with the pass.

Our offense game plan was to be prepared for the above plan.

AzianSooner
1/4/2014, 12:53 AM
The other different and good thing I saw in this team compare to the previous teams is that this team does not back down or give up. Even being led with score, it seems like they will fight back with confident.

This swagger was only seen in the 2000 championship caliber. Now, it's appeared again.

Booomer Sooner.

SoonerObsession
1/4/2014, 01:32 AM
Great post! Another great thing about this win, was that it was the only game being played. The whole college football nation was focused on this game.

Piware
1/4/2014, 01:51 AM
Loved the post 8 Time. Summed it all up for me.

SoCalBigRed
1/4/2014, 02:45 AM
Great post! Another great thing about this win, was that it was the only game being played. The whole college football nation was focused on this game.

Yes, very big point for us. People I wouldn't normally expect to be watching us play, were commenting after the game, what a big win and great showing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/4/2014, 03:12 AM
The question I have about Knight is this...

Was it better to have a breakout game immediately followed by spring practice or to have one followed by another game? Right now he is on some kind of crazy high, so the question becomes is he the kind of kid that success makes him hungrier to get better? Or is he the kind of kid that is driven to get better by failure?

JLMSOONER
1/4/2014, 08:20 AM
Agree with the first sentence as well. The game was full of plays that showed the Sooners wanted it and earned. Two that stand out o me in the 4th quarter are the 3rd and long deep in our end of the field. Knight threw a swing pass to Clay. Bama had 3 defenders in the area and it looked like there was no way Clay was going to get the 1st, yet, he did! He earned that 1st down. The 2nd one was the strip by Striker and recovery by Grissom. Again, the Sooners earned that play. To see a man with Grissom's size scoop up the ball and stretch it into the endzone was a work of art and game over for Bama! Well done Sooners!!!!

BigTip
1/4/2014, 10:09 AM
What I enjoyed most about this game is the fact that OU earned the victory.

So agree. I said this on the game thread that night:

"We beat them too. They didn't just screw up and lose. We beat them. It seemed like we couldn't stop them there for awhile. But then we did. We beat them damnit"

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2014, 10:36 AM
great writeup

I wanted to post....the pass from Knight...running to his right...pumped once then threw into the end zone....WOW...just WOW.

OUHOMER
1/4/2014, 10:51 AM
Nice write up! This game should open the door recruiting.

Jacie
1/4/2014, 02:50 PM
Magical moment of the game for me, scoring a touchdown after backing into a 1st and 30.

Blues1
1/4/2014, 04:04 PM
I thought I was Watching a "New Super Version of the 1956 Sooners" ~ No Fear - No Back Down ~ No BS - Just playing Lights Out SOONER Football....!!!!
Rockin'

JLEW1818
1/4/2014, 04:09 PM
How does TK not remind y'all of Johnny Football? Exact same style.

picasso
1/4/2014, 04:13 PM
Anyone that thinks Bama was flat is crazy. They were amped up. I noticed they were trying hit Striker and Saunders as much as possible.

East Coast Bias
1/4/2014, 05:34 PM
The fact that Stoops outcoached Saban has been underplayed as well. They were afraid of TK's ability to gash them with the read option and were not expecting OU to beat them through the air. They never adjusted off of that strategy. From an offensive stand point after AJ got sacked two or three times they should have ran Henry until his legs fell off. They had no kind of answer for Striker off the edge....

revelladee
1/4/2014, 06:37 PM
We were there in the middle of Alabama fans....oh, man...what a game...they couldnt believe what they were seeing....it was my son's last game in a Pride uniform.....oh the memories...what a great ride it has been!!! And btw, TK and Manziel are not alike....TK has character and integrity....which makes him a whole lot better in every respect ;-)

Boomer Sooner!!

bluedogok
1/4/2014, 07:00 PM
Manziel is just carrying on his family tradition which is being a character....

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 07:05 PM

Was it better to have a breakout game immediately followed by spring practice or to have one followed by another game? Right now he is on some kind of crazy high, so the question becomes is he the kind of kid that success makes him hungrier to get better? Or is he the kind of kid that is driven to get better by failure?

That's the only real unknown going into next year. I think it's the success that motivates him to be better. In his last few games, I thought he was starting to 'get it'. I think a lot of that was lost on fans when Bell orchestrated the game winning drive against OSU. Even with the good play Bell has shown, Knight still gave us the best chance to win against Bama. To think, he gained so much confidence in a short few weeks. I can't imagine him reverting over the off season. His confidence has to be sky high.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 07:45 PM
Being in a strong program like OU, Knight will get plenty of success to motivate him. But CFB is a tough sport and it's guaranteed he'll have plenty of adversity to overcome as well. Heck, he had plenty of that this year and finished it off in style.

soonertodd
1/4/2014, 08:27 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1991881/kw3.gif

Scott D
1/4/2014, 08:31 PM
That's the only real unknown going into next year. I think it's the success that motivates him to be better. In his last few games, I thought he was starting to 'get it'. I think a lot of that was lost on fans when Bell orchestrated the game winning drive against OSU. Even with the good play Bell has shown, Knight still gave us the best chance to win against Bama. To think, he gained so much confidence in a short few weeks. I can't imagine him reverting over the off season. His confidence has to be sky high.

I think it was less of a confidence matter, and more of a complete and total comfort level with the offense, and playing in game action as compared to it being practice. Clearly he had that comfort level when it came to practices which is what led to the coaches raving about him before the season. It just took the game experience for him to bloom.

SoonernAR
1/4/2014, 08:36 PM
As a 40 year fan of OU football, it was the most complete and highest quality effort team performance I have ever seen. I actually cheered the defensive secondary scuffle we had, the player's minds were on fire and in a fever for victory. Congrats Coach Stoops and staff, players and fellow fans.

AzianSooner
1/4/2014, 08:40 PM
We need to have a stud middle DE. Henry ran on us many big chunk. If we can stop that kind of RB like Henry at the line, the NC seems to be closer than ever.

BB37
1/4/2014, 09:23 PM

One word: character. TK seems to have it, JF -- not so much.

oupride
1/4/2014, 09:26 PM
We were there in the middle of Alabama fans....oh, man...what a game...they couldnt believe what they were seeing....it was my son's last game in a Pride uniform.....oh the memories...what a great ride it has been!!! And btw, TK and Manziel are not alike....TK has character and integrity....which makes him a whole lot better in every respect ;-)

Boomer Sooner!!
Thanks for the post.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/4/2014, 09:29 PM

TK in no way reminds me of Johnny Cash. He does make me think of a pre-double knee replacement Jason White, though.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 10:15 PM
As a 40 year fan of OU football, it was the most complete and highest quality effort team performance I have ever seen. I actually cheered the defensive secondary scuffle we had, the player's minds were on fire and in a fever for victory. Congrats Coach Stoops and staff, players and fellow fans.

Yeah, I hadn't really seen mention of the scuffle, but that made me feel really good. When players are holding one another accountable, then things are going well. Emotions were high, and I love to see that kind of fire.

SoonernAR
1/4/2014, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I hadn't really seen mention of the scuffle, but that made me feel really good. When players are holding one another accountable, then things are going well. Emotions were high, and I love to see that kind of fire.
I been looking for a youtube vid showing the scuffle and subsequent time-out pushing and shoving, but at the time Doritos chips were flying out of my mouth as I was screaming something primal.

rock on sooner
1/4/2014, 10:22 PM
We need to have a stud middle DE. Henry ran on us many big chunk. If we can stop that kind of RB like Henry at the line, the NC seems to be closer than ever.

FWIW, Henry is going to run like that on a LOT of people...gotta
hand it to Bama/Saban...his running backs..Lacy, Richardson, Ingram,
Yeldon and now Henry...Geez, he must have a clone machine somewhere!

JLMSOONER
1/5/2014, 09:05 AM
I thought I was Watching a "New Super Version of the 1956 Sooners" ~ No Fear - No Back Down ~ No BS - Just playing Lights Out SOONER Football....!!!!
Rockin'
Watching the game again, I agree with this. Mark May predicting our demise at the tune of 48-10. Everyone discounting us. No chance for the Sooners. Our guys came out and played hard and unintimidated from the start. I don't like the extra curricular activities, but from the start I did like the fact that our guys stood their ground. From the McCarron, don't touch me near the sidline, do you know who I am issue in the 1st quarter, throughout the game our guys stood their ground. I loved teh attitude!

JLMSOONER
1/5/2014, 09:14 AM

I 2nd this. It wasn't a scuffle of frustration and despair because we were on the ropes. Although it was a tight game, it seemed more of we got this. know your play and reads and then be in position. I loved the fire!!!!

5noubus
1/5/2014, 10:06 AM

I feel like it will help him tremendously.
I think he has had the skills but just been a little hesitant and off in games. This is the confidence he needed and hopefully he will build on it this spring.

Dan Thompson
1/5/2014, 12:57 PM
I saw the twice and replays 2 or 3 times. 7 sacks, 3 fumble recovers, 2 int. I didn't count the 'throw aways'.
Then you look at the O and to me it was just amazing. I think it was one of the Sooner's all time best games.

swardboy
1/5/2014, 01:23 PM
My Sugar Bowl thoughts:
*That performance garnered us the #1 running back recruit in the nation: Joe Mixon
*With La. Tech, Tennessee, and tulsa on the schedule, we'll all be clamoring for #8 in 2014
*OU has a Heisman candidate...again
*Coach Stoops has to be refreshed
*Defense will be as fun to watch as offense next year
*What a fun bunch to watch mature the next two years

Widescreen
1/5/2014, 02:09 PM
*With La. Tech, Tennessee, and tulsa on the schedule, we'll all be clamoring for #8 in 2014

No way. Tennessee plays in the SECSECSEC. No way we can beat one of those teams.

bluedogok
1/5/2014, 03:49 PM
To me what I saw in the OSU and bowl game was a loose team playing to win instead of a tight, afraid to lose team. Players and coaches included.

aurorasooner
1/5/2014, 04:26 PM
To me what I saw in the OSU and bowl game was a loose team playing to win instead of a tight, afraid to lose team. Players and coaches included. Agree. What I'd like to know, was Heupel's offensive game-prep/plan handcuffed all year from above with a conservative offensive game plan or did he just have the tight-azz and finally broke out of it.
Frick it, play loose to win. If we get whipped, then so be it. Man, to lose a game like we did in Dallas just sucks. It always sucks to lose to the whorns, but there's degrees of suck, and this years RRR was one of the worst.
It's sure been an up and down year. Beat the crap out of ND at their place, then just get bent over in Dallas and Waco, and then whip a good Pokes team in Stoolwater and 'Bama in New Orleans.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2014, 04:34 PM
Heupel was handcuffed with inconsistent QB play most the year. Bell has backup QB potential and TK just wasn't ready until late in the season. An offense with QB problems has problems. You could see how live an arm TK has in those first 2 games, he just couldn't get the ball close to a receiver. Against ISU and KSU, you could see he was coming around, but the question was could he do it against a better defense. Question answered.

NOVSooner
1/7/2014, 06:46 PM
in the interview following the game on the sideline Stoops used the word "special" when talking about Knight. Stoops doesn't use that word too often. but i recall him saying that about Bradford, GK, AD, etc. thought that was exciting!