PDA

View Full Version : Guys with breakout games heading into next year

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2014, 03:53 PM
So earlier in the year, I'd pointed out young guys who I thought were really good -> http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?181036-Understanding-our-current-core-players-%28soph-and-below%29

In this game, we had a few upperclassmen emerge that may spring board them into impressive senior years

1. Grissom -> doubled his season sack total and got his first 2 fumble recoveries and added a critical batted ball on 3rd down (4th of the season). The downside was that he had 0 tackles in the run game.
2. Ndulae -> The thing about Ndulae is that he does the little things. There was one play in particular that ended in a Grissom sack. Ndulae had a shot at McCarron but peeled back to seal the running lanes so that he'd stay in the pocket. Had he went for the sack it was 50/50 that he'd have escaped and made a first down. He got no stats for that play, but the rush lane discipline was something that we've been missing in the center for years. This was also the first game where I've seen him comfortable with all of his extra weight.

Underclassmen

Trevor Knight
Derrick Woods (that was a tough catch in a critical situation)

DrZaius
1/3/2014, 04:01 PM
That play with Ndulae was great. I was very impressed with his falling back to cover the screen/run lane. Big discipline on that play, he could have easily foamed at the mouth and went for the sack. Big big big play.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 04:13 PM
The one guy that has had a big year that didn't get called much was Tapper. I wasn't watching close enough to see why. Did he face a really good OL guy that controlled him? Or did Bama double him and that's what freed up Grissom?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2014, 04:50 PM
The one guy that has had a big year that didn't get called much was Tapper. I wasn't watching close enough to see why. Did he face a really good OL guy that controlled him? Or did Bama double him and that's what freed up Grissom?

He was double teamed/chipped pretty much every play I saw. They were doubling him and leaving Shannon unblocked and he just wouldn't fill the hole.

KantoSooner
1/3/2014, 04:53 PM
What was up with No. 2 (Wilson?)
It was like he was asleep out there sometimes.