PDA

View Full Version : 5* players vs 2and 3* players really?

SoonerKnight
1/3/2014, 01:38 PM
There was a lot of talk that Bama had so much talent and OU had underachieved when recruiting what happen to this doom and gloom crowd??????

SoonerKnight
1/3/2014, 04:04 PM
Bump

8timechamps
1/3/2014, 04:04 PM
Amazing, ain't it?

SoonerOX
1/3/2014, 04:07 PM
Player development is equally if not more important than raw talent. In my humble opinion.

OUster
1/3/2014, 04:10 PM
Glad someone brought this up...get the spoons..humble pie on the menu for some folks!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/3/2014, 04:14 PM
It's like that old saying among statisticians: Anything easily measured ain't worth measuring.

How many stars do I get?

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2014, 04:21 PM
Sooners have done just fine recruiting. Stars are for the most part a unreliable way to judge talent. Either that our our coaches can consistently turn average players in to very good players, and good players into great players. There is only the occasional cant miss 5 star like AD.

That being said we always have our share of great athletes/players

But unless you have the best of the best at every other position, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A QB THAT CAN MAKE GREAT PLAYS. Case in point, we had the same players all year long. And we had average QB play. Poor QB play during RRS. Suddenly TK finds his MOJO, and you see what happens.

I live and die by Sooner FB but Ive been "Bearish" on our trajectory as a program. Seeing young Mr Knight come into his own last night has made me quite the bull.

Good things to come Sooners

EatLeadCommie
1/3/2014, 04:24 PM
more like 4* and 5* players versus 3* and 4* players. We won the game and I'm happy that we did, but if you didn't see a difference out there in terms of size and ability between them and us, I gotta question what game you were watching or how many beers you had. We played out of our minds to win that game and they kinda looked to be on cruise control much of the time. Not saying they didn't try or overlooked us-- we earned the W fair and square. But that Bama team looked about 3 inches taller, 30 lbs heavier, and a bit faster at most positions. That freshman RB of theirs is a freak of nature.

GDC
1/3/2014, 04:25 PM
I don't care if he was a 1 star or a 5 star, that running back Henry was a beast. I'm very glad he only got 8 carries on the night.

If our guys will play like they did last night, it doesn't matter how many stars they have. Several of them played like 5-star studs!

Boomer Mooner
1/4/2014, 12:38 AM
After last night I hope we get a shot at some of those 5 star players, just sayin. I would love to see someone like that Henry kid sign with us! All that said, Stoops did a great job with the kids we are blessed with!

SoCalBigRed
1/4/2014, 12:55 AM
After last night I hope we get a shot at some of those 5 star players, just sayin. I would love to see someone like that Henry kid sign with us! All that said, Stoops did a great job with the kids we are blessed with!

I bet 'bama would love to have someone like that Trevor Knight kid. Or that Striker kid that made McCarron's night a living Hell.

Seriously... what a ridiculous statement. You think we don't have any Henry-type/level kids on our roster?

Just a short newsflash. BEFORE last night... we had a shot and got those 5 star players.

lexsooner
1/4/2014, 11:30 AM
more like 4* and 5* players versus 3* and 4* players. We won the game and I'm happy that we did, but if you didn't see a difference out there in terms of size and ability between them and us, I gotta question what game you were watching or how many beers you had. We played out of our minds to win that game and they kinda looked to be on cruise control much of the time. Not saying they didn't try or overlooked us-- we earned the W fair and square. But that Bama team looked about 3 inches taller, 30 lbs heavier, and a bit faster at most positions. That freshman RB of theirs is a freak of nature.

Yes, Bama was bigger and more physically talented than OU. I think some of the "poor tackling" by OU we complained about was actually just Bama players being bigger, stronger, and fast. This being said, obviously there were many other factors in the game other than pure physical talent, and we had a great game plan, preparation, execution, and intensity, which won out over their talent and weeded out roster.

SoonerKnight
1/4/2014, 11:43 AM

Well what I saw was Striker. Out play the best OT in SEC. What I saw was our WR out huddle the Alabama defenders! I also saw their RS Freshman bulldoze through our line that is made for the Big XII!!!!

I did not see Alabama not try! Knight made tight throws into coverage! Our WR caught the ball!!! We out played Bama with speed!! They even said that Striker doesn't have the size but watch his speed beat the OL that was holding all onto Strikers jersey!!!!

FaninAma
1/4/2014, 11:44 AM
I thought OU's team speed was better than Alabama's. It would be nice to have Bama's talent on the OL and DL.

I also agree that Bama would lose at least one game a year playing against the spread offenses of the Big 12.

And Bob was right....the SEC is very top heavy.

KantoSooner
1/4/2014, 11:52 AM
X100000 on the team speed comments. We flat out quicked and out fasted the vaunted SEC's best. All the BS of the past five years or so about how much faster the SEC is is just that: bull****.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2014, 11:58 AM
Yes, Bama was bigger and more physically talented than OU. I think some of the "poor tackling" by OU we complained about was actually just Bama players being bigger, stronger, and fast. This being said, obviously there were many other factors in the game other than pure physical talent, and we had a great game plan, preparation, execution, and intensity, which won out over their talent and weeded out roster.

THIS....

I'm not much into stars but am into who else is recruiting the kid. Sometimes it's better to be David than Goliath for a game...

Sooners78
1/4/2014, 01:38 PM
I don't care if he was a 1 star or a 5 star, that running back Henry was a beast. I'm very glad he only got 8 carries on the night.

If our guys will play like they did last night, it doesn't matter how many stars they have. Several of them played like 5-star studs!

I was surprised they didn't just keep giving him the ball. When they pulled to within 7 in the third, he should have been getting the ball every play.

King Crimson
1/4/2014, 01:46 PM
Blake Bell was a 5 star player. I like Blake a lot and he's been a great contributor...so this is nothing against BB as a player or person....but he wasn't starting in the Sugar Bowl.

lot of things can happen in the life of a kid from being a HS senior in the next 4 years at college...on the football field, in the classroom, in life....etc.

Sooners78
1/4/2014, 01:56 PM
I thought OU's team speed was better than Alabama's. It would be nice to have Bama's talent on the OL and DL.

I also agree that Bama would lose at least one game a year playing against the spread offenses of the Big 12.

And Bob was right....the SEC is very top heavy.

This. SEC is a solid conference, but it's not superior to the others. Those top heavy teams like bama, au, and lsu do it with huge dominant lines. Those teams will overpower most teams, but spread offenses have the ability to surprise them, much like 8 win mike leach coached Texas tech teams always seemed to be good for one big win over an ou or Texas. The rest of the sec is very average.

I would like to see us recruit more power on both lines. We missed Phillips this year, but the d line improved a lot. Who knows what might have happened with Phillips in our two losses. That said, both lines performed great in the sugar bowl.

Flagstaffsooner
1/4/2014, 01:59 PM
See Mack Brown about those 5*s.

Sooners78
1/4/2014, 02:32 PM
Well what I saw was Striker. Out play the best OT in SEC. What I saw was our WR out huddle the Alabama defenders! I also saw their RS Freshman bulldoze through our line that is made for the Big XII!!!!

I did not see Alabama not try! Knight made tight throws into coverage! Our WR caught the ball!!! We out played Bama with speed!! They even said that Striker doesn't have the size but watch his speed beat the OL that was holding all onto Strikers jersey!!!!

One thing that made that possible for striker was our d lines ability to get a push. They had some nice runs up the middle, but for the most part, we held our own. We have talented linemen who have played lights out the last two games. Putting bama into passing situations was a huge factor in the win.

Okie35
1/4/2014, 03:41 PM
I've said it for years... Coaching trumps recruits 100% of the time. I did love that Mixon declaration though.

picasso
1/4/2014, 03:45 PM
They didn't look any faster than we did.

Okie35
1/4/2014, 03:46 PM
They didn't look any faster than we did.

We looked faster.

bluedogok
1/4/2014, 04:32 PM
I was surprised they didn't just keep giving him the ball. When they pulled to within 7 in the third, he should have been getting the ball every play.
One Bama friend said Henry wasn't well enough conditioned yet to be a workhorse back so they weren't going to feed him all the time like he was one. That was why they were still alternating him with Yeldon and still concerned with the freshman fumbles. Not sure how real that is but that is what their thinking was.

SoCalBigRed
1/4/2014, 08:57 PM
One Bama friend said Henry wasn't well enough conditioned yet to be a workhorse back so they weren't going to feed him all the time like he was one. That was why they were still alternating him with Yeldon and still concerned with the freshman fumbles. Not sure how real that is but that is what their thinking was.

Not well-enough conditioned at this point in the season? Was he injured?

If not, then I question his work ethic.

Marcus Dupree had all the talent in the world...

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 09:35 PM
OUr 2 TD lead for much of the 2nd half helped limit Henry's carries and we did stop him on several occasions.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 10:01 PM
Henry is a stud, but it's going to be tough for him to be an every-down back. He's a running back in a middle linebacker frame. No question he's good, but I think the two big plays he made had more to do with bad tackling and change of pace. I'm honestly not sure using him exclusively would have had much change on the outcome.

Boomer Mooner
1/4/2014, 11:37 PM
I bet 'bama would love to have someone like that Trevor Knight kid. Or that Striker kid that made McCarron's night a living Hell.

Seriously... what a ridiculous statement. You think we don't have any Henry-type/level kids on our roster?

Just a short newsflash. BEFORE last night... we had a shot and got those 5 star players.

Quit being a dick. Newsflash, just look at the size of the kids on their roster compared to ours. We did more with less, so what do you think we might be able to do with more? If you can't recognize the potential in that Henry kid as a freshman your an idiot. A little depth for us wouldn't hurt anything either.

Just saying this could be huge for us recruiting wise so freakin' lighten up Francis.

Curly Bill
1/4/2014, 11:48 PM
All things being equal it's still better to be landing 4 & 5-star guys than it is 2 & 3-star guys. Does that mean the team with all the 4 & 5's always win? Why no it doesn't, but to pretend we're better off landing lower ranked guys is just stupid. There's a reason certain teams are habitually found at the top of the college football landscape, and the main factor in that is getting talented football players to come to your school.

It is also worth noting that the majority of guys we put out there against Alabama are from classes a few years ago, and not a class like this years that we are battling against North Texas & New Mexico for.

Trevor Knight was a 4-star & had lots of options, so did Striker, so did Clay, so did Sheppard, etc, etc, etc.....