PDA

View Full Version : Keith Ford

Soonerwolf
1/3/2014, 01:01 PM
Did he get injured during the game. He seemed to be effective when he was in the game.

Soonerwolf
1/3/2014, 01:06 PM
My mistake - please move this out of the recruiting folder to the main football folder.

8timechamps
1/3/2014, 05:00 PM
No, I don't think Ford was hurt. I think the plan was to play Clay/Finch ahead of Ford, and get Ford a chance if possible (and that's how it played out).

Since this was the last game for Clay and Finch, I think the idea was to have them play as much as possible. Ford is going to get his chance soon.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 05:14 PM
I was really surprised to see Ford in the game and then just as surprised to never see him again. He had 1 carry for over 10 yards as I recall and it was one of the rare times we got anything up the middle. But this is in no way a criticism of the game plan which was excellent.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/3/2014, 05:39 PM
I was surprised with all the contributions from young guys. Derrick Woods had a grab too, I had wondered where he was on the WR depth chart all season after being a big recruit. Good to see both get some action on offense.

kevpks
1/3/2014, 05:55 PM
He was effective but I think they trust Clay more not to fumble the ball on critical carries in the 4th quarter. Ford has a bright future and with the seniors leaving he can grab the bulk of the carries next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 05:58 PM
Ford clearly was not part of the game plan, so I assume he was in there to spell Clay for some unforeseen reason. Clay came back in right after Ford's lone carry.

cvsooner
1/3/2014, 06:10 PM
My sole disappointment with the win--and it's pretty minor, admittedly--was I was really really hoping Roy Finch and Jaz Reynolds had absolute monster games. Brennan Clay too. What a great way for them to go out as seniors. Yes, they had some nice plays, some key plays, in fact, but I would loved to have had Clay and Finch each rush for over 100 yards, Finch to return a kickoff for a TD and Jaz to have caught all 348 yards' worth of TK's passes.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 06:23 PM
My sole disappointment with the win--and it's pretty minor, admittedly--was I was really really hoping Roy Finch and Jaz Reynolds had absolute monster games. Brennan Clay too. What a great way for them to go out as seniors. Yes, they had some nice plays, some key plays, in fact, but I would loved to have had Clay and Finch each rush for over 100 yards, Finch to return a kickoff for a TD and Jaz to have caught all 348 of TK's passes.

That would have been nice, but it clearly wasn't the game plan. It was a pass-first plan with enough running to keep them honest. The stats were bound to belong to TK and the receivers or else we would be in trouble. But as you say, both guy made key plays and every key play in that game was needed. Clay made a nice move to split defenders to convert that 4th and 1 and his screen pass reception to convert 3rd and 9 deep on our end was as big as any play in the game. He willed himself to that 1st down. Finch had that nice KO return to put us at the 45 and then that fake-screen/seam pass right after Clay's screen pass was huge. Unfortunately, Jaz had one of the few drops and I don't remember a big play by him, but I'm sure he contributed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2014, 06:49 PM
The problem with Ford in that game is that his playstyle forced us into Alabama's hands. With him in the game, you are forced to play inside-out which is what that defense is designed to stop. So while he was successful in his 3 carries, trying to play that way wasn't going to give us much other success. We beat them because we forced them to run sideline to sideline chasing misdirection sweeps and screens instead of trying to ram it up the middle. That game (which I wish we would have seen more of earlier in the year) is all about Finch and Clay. Ford will probably get there in a year or 2, but right now he is still at the "me get rock, me run" stage.

Now we probably could have used him those last 2 series, but that was more about RS SR vs TR FR than anything.

I was disappointed for Clay not getting a 1000 yards (43 short).

SoonerMarkVA
1/4/2014, 01:07 PM
Ford has a chance to be the top dawg for the next 2 years (assuming he's as good as I think he can be, he'll be gone after Jr. year). I would have liked to see him more personally, just because I like the way he punishes a defense, but I understand why they stuck with Clay, who has become rock-solid reliable.

AzianSooner
1/4/2014, 01:26 PM
Ford ran like #27 Henry of Alabama. He is only smaller. Since AL sold out 7 men to stop the run, and TK is very affective in throwing the ball with TightEnd on the move, why need to use Ford when we can also affective use Clay?

dennis580
1/4/2014, 02:19 PM
Ford has a chance to be the top dawg for the next 2 years (assuming he's as good as I think he can be, he'll be gone after Jr. year). I would have liked to see him more personally, just because I like the way he punishes a defense, but I understand why they stuck with Clay, who has become rock-solid reliable.

You never know weather a player will choose to stay for there senior year or not. So you should not just assume he will leave after his Jr year. There have been plenty of high draft picks that have chosen to stay for there senior year.

SoonerFanTexasBM
1/9/2014, 10:09 AM
I think Ford has the potential to be the next star RB for the OU program in the next 2 years. When I watch him run, he runs hard and downhill. Yes, he has had some fumbling issues but I'm not worried about that. The more playing time he begins to get now that Clay and Finch are gone will be monumental in his future success. I can't remember which game it was, maybe Tulsa, anyway the way he was barreling over people was impressive and looked like AD in his own regard. I think he is one of the guys I am most excited to watch in the backfield along with Trevor.

KantoSooner
1/9/2014, 10:57 AM
...and Ross, and Mixon, and Perine and...

We've got an embarassment of riches at RB and should be able to keep fresh legs in the game at all times.

I'm thinking it might be fun to let KT practice with two of the RBs who are not seeing 'enough' of the field and then bring them in situationally to run the 'Bone. I'd like to see us use the 'Bone to score on Texas. It would give us, and them, a nostalgic moment to cherish.

swardboy
1/9/2014, 11:37 AM
Good lord my head is reeling from the thought of any mixture of Ford, Ross, Mixon, and Perine back there around Trevor in that 3 back formation. What's it called? Holy tejas nightmare.

picasso
1/9/2014, 11:39 AM
Clay was clutch the last half of this season.
Running and receiving. Great poise.

oupride
1/9/2014, 12:35 PM
My sole disappointment with the win--and it's pretty minor, admittedly--was I was really really hoping Roy Finch and Jaz Reynolds had absolute monster games. Brennan Clay too. What a great way for them to go out as seniors. Yes, they had some nice plays, some key plays, in fact, but I would loved to have had Clay and Finch each rush for over 100 yards, Finch to return a kickoff for a TD and Jaz to have caught all 348 yards' worth of TK's passes.
Thanks for bringing this up. I had hoped the same.

freshchris05
1/9/2014, 12:40 PM
Clay was clutch the last half of this season.
Running and receiving. Great poise.

For sure. That guy really skyrocketed up my list of favorite Sooners. Class act all around.

Thank You Brennan Clay.

stoopified
1/9/2014, 02:43 PM
Good lord my head is reeling from the thought of any mixture of Ford, Ross, Mixon, and Perine back there around Trevor in that 3 back formation. What's it called? Holy tejas nightmare.Diamond formation.

Breadburner
1/9/2014, 03:07 PM
If you can get Ford past the line of scrimmage and he can hold onto the ball....Look the **** out......!!!!

jdsooner
1/11/2014, 06:12 PM
We will be loaded in the backfield for the next few years. I think it would be fun if we could run a wishbone formation for short yardage on occasion. I know it's crazy, but if we could just do it once as a tribute to the past, it would be cool.

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 06:52 PM
We will be loaded in the backfield for the next few years. I think it would be fun if we could run a wishbone formation for short yardage on occasion. I know it's crazy, but if we could just do it once as a tribute to the past, it would be cool.

We run the option on a lot of short yardage occasions, just not in the wishbone. It would be a nice 'tip of the cap' to past teams if we incorporated it though.

SoonerMarkVA
1/11/2014, 07:27 PM
We run the option on a lot of short yardage occasions, just not in the wishbone. It would be a nice 'tip of the cap' to past teams if we incorporated it though.

I gotta think, if run well, it would be extremely effective, too. No one (FBS) has to defend it anymore.

8timechamps
1/11/2014, 07:58 PM
I gotta think, if run well, it would be extremely effective, too. No one (FBS) has to defend it anymore.

True, even the service academies run different variations now. Maybe it'll make a comeback someday.

I remember the year John Blake tried to put in the Wishbone over a bye week, and when our offense came out and lined up, the crowd went nuts. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure we lost an ugly game. I think that was the last time the wishbone was used at OU.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2014, 08:04 PM

The fly in the ointment is that it takes a lot of reps in practice to be any good at it, otherwise it looks silly.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/11/2014, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a Stoops team lining up in the wishbone for one play as a tribute. Maybe it was in 03 when they wore the throwbacks.

cvsooner
1/13/2014, 01:19 PM
For sure. That guy really skyrocketed up my list of favorite Sooners. Class act all around.

Thank You Brennan Clay.

And a pretty solid blocker, esp. in pass protection.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/13/2014, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a Stoops team lining up in the wishbone for one play as a tribute. Maybe it was in 03 when they wore the throwbacks.

They did it on the very first play of Coach Stoops first game at Oklahoma against Indiana St. back in 1999 when it was 200+ degrees Fahrenheit if I recall. And then they spread out all of the receivers wide and I was like..FIRE STOOPS!!!

SoonerMarkVA
1/13/2014, 02:08 PM
And then they spread out all of the receivers wide and I was like..FIRE STOOPS!!!

LOL!