PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a team KO from their own ~10 yard line and then recover the KO?

aurorasooner
1/3/2014, 03:11 AM
I mean, cheet. I thought Striker giving the aggies a 2 cent tip a month ago was great. But, then him and Grissom put the game away tonight, and we get 2 major celebration penalties, and then we freakin' recover the KO. That's got to be some kind of record. 4 cent tip. LMAO.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2014, 03:16 AM
It WAS unfreakinbelievable. I about krapped laughing when we kicked that onsides kick, then actually recovered it.

aurorasooner
1/3/2014, 03:25 AM
It WAS unfreakinbelievable. I about krapped laughing when we kicked that onsides kick, then actually recovered it. I don't even know who recovered the KO for us, but that was a helluva recovery. Bob should give our player who recovered it a game ball. Hell, that reminded me of Trent Smith (I think) chasing that aggie down after that fumble recovery to save the skunk.

EatLeadCommie
1/3/2014, 03:27 AM
It was a total goof, and thank god we recovered it. I was getting shades of Oregon 2006 thinking of a TD and onsides kick recovery by Bama. Was starting to wish Grissom had been brought down short. It would've been over then.

mainline13
1/3/2014, 07:59 AM
I don't even know who recovered the KO for us, but that was a helluva recovery. Bob should give our player who recovered it a game ball. Hell, that reminded me of Trent Smith (I think) chasing that aggie down after that fumble recovery to save the skunk.

I don't doubt that everyone got a game ball. And that surely includes players, coaches, trainers, all the sideline staff, and maybe even AD. That's the way Bob rolls.

And it was Ratterree that you remember chasing down the aggie.

Boomer.....
1/3/2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah, that definitely wasn't an onsides kick. It was a squib kick gone wrong which just happened to work out for us.

dwarthog
1/3/2014, 08:37 AM
I've never seen it. The look on Saban's face was priceless as well....

swardboy
1/3/2014, 08:59 AM
Caleb Gastulem recovered it. A special teams workhorse.

Peeb
1/3/2014, 09:29 AM
Reminded me of this game, but not on the 10: http://newsok.com/4th-quarter-rally-rescues-ou/article/2043167

badger
1/3/2014, 09:34 AM
I thought at first that it was the ultimate middle finger move, but then seeing the replay, it was obviously a botch (followed by Bama screwing up once again, as they had all game). A very head's up play by special teams to get the botch recovery.

TUSooner
1/3/2014, 09:57 AM
I never heard an explanation from OU, but it looked like an accidental onside kick. Still awesome.

Just before that I was hoping that last TD would be called back so we could kill the clock at the 1 without giving Bama ANY chance to touch the ball again.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 10:00 AM
It looked intentional to me. It didnt make sense, though.

badger
1/3/2014, 10:05 AM
It looked intentional to me. It didnt make sense, though.

I think the intention was to make the ball bounce a lot so there wouldn't be a big return. Alas, the kicker kicked it right into a Bammer instead of down the field. Too bad for Bammer, he wasn't ready to field it :D

soonergirlNeugene
1/3/2014, 10:06 AM
Just finished reading a pretty hilarious article on the way this one ended. Posting it here in all it's glory.

Stoops, though — can we give the man a pirate ship? Oklahoma's plan to stop the no. 3 Crimson Tide was so DNGAF it could have been its own 2008 subreddit. I realize this word gets overused on the Internet, but I was there in the Superdome, and what the Sooners did was just exquisite, exquisite trolling. Some football games are shootouts and some are chess matches; this was like watching a commenter ruin a blogger's day over and over again. The blogger keeps getting madder, because when you care enough to run a basic spell-check (= try to establish the running game) you shouldn't have to answer to some dude called pants_commander who has no respect for the shift key (= busts out an onside kick while leading by 14 with one minute left). But if the enduring image of Bama from this game was — apologies to AJ McCarron, who has many lovely trophies at his house — freshman running back Derrick Henry hog-plowing through the Oklahoma defense in the second half, the enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Because Big Game Bob has, of course, invested important time over the last couple of seasons in airing some very vibrant emotions about the SEC and its dominance and its defenses. And while these were by letter narrowly confined to a critique of the media's tendency to ascribe depth to conferences that are merely very strong up top, they were in spirit nothing else but calling out Alabama, and Stoops knew this and still knows it. The word "propaganda" was deployed in an unkind spirit. And most of the country, including me, certainly, and also Vegas, which made the Sooners a 15-point underdog, saw this Sugar Bowl matchup as an opportunity for the Tide to exact bloody retribution — against Stoops for disrespecting them, against Auburn for dumping them out to New Orleans in the first place, against the kicking game for having the temerity to exist. Instead, infant quarterback Trevor Knight, who wasn't even a lock to start for Oklahoma, threw four touchdown passes, Alabama gave up 31 points in the first half after having surrendered a total of 52 first-half points in its previous 12 games, and Stoops blazed a fat chain of told-you-so doughnuts all over our national parking lot. He must have known he'd be on camera a lot, because he wore his nicest visor.

Afterward, a bunch of Oklahoma players piled onto a stage and broke ESPN. Did I mention that this game was amusing?

BigTip
1/3/2014, 10:11 AM
I have thought this would be a good thing to attempt in a lot more situations. I'm talking normal kick-offs. Have the kicker kick it straight at the enemy. The worst thing that happens is they manage to catch it on the 50 or whatever. But if you miss the front guy, it squibs way down field almost the distance of a normal kick. And obviously it is very hard to catch a full on kick from 15 yards away. I don't know what the recovery rate would be, but I think it would pay off. Sure would make those front line guys nervous. And if you got known for that the opponents would have to put "hands" players in up front instead of blockers.

jkjsooner
1/3/2014, 10:11 AM
I mean, cheet. I thought Striker giving the aggies a 2 cent tip a month ago was great. But, then him and Grissom put the game away tonight, and we get 2 major celebration penalties, and then we freakin' recover the KO. That's got to be some kind of record. 4 cent tip. LMAO.

Kind of scared me. They recover that and a quick score / onside kick and they're in business. Had that happened we would have wished Grissom would have downed the ball on the 1 instead of going in so we could kneel the game out.

But I like the looks of the 14 point win.

badger
1/3/2014, 10:12 AM
Afterward, a bunch of Oklahoma players piled onto a stage and broke ESPN. Did I mention that this game was amusing?

For those of you that didn't stay up late enough for this, myself included:
Qy73sLmztW4

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2014, 10:13 AM
it was a squib kick that happen to bounce OU's way. Heads up to Caleb for the recovery.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 11:03 AM
Definitely a squib kick designed to thwart any organized return. He kicked that ball really hard, so it would have gone 40 yards downfield if it doesn't nail that Bama player.

I have seen an on-side kick recovered in this situation once, I think it was in a pro game. I can't recall if it was after penalties or maybe after a safety, but the team was behind and had no choice but to try.

badger
1/3/2014, 11:23 AM
Definitely a squib kick designed to thwart any organized return. He kicked that ball really hard, so it would have gone 40 yards downfield if it doesn't nail that Bama player.

I have seen an on-side kick recovered in this situation once, I think it was in a pro game. I can't recall if it was after penalties or maybe after a safety, but the team was behind and had no choice but to try.

Now that we have successfully botched the squib kick, perhaps we need to add this to our special teams arsenal :D

1- Kick ball as hard as you can into defensive player
2- Recover botch-a-ball
3- ???
4- PROFIT!!!!!

jdg
1/3/2014, 11:28 AM
like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusPh4mHPJQ

Temujin
1/3/2014, 11:31 AM
Just finished reading a pretty hilarious article on the way this one ended. Posting it here in all it's glory.

That was awesome, LOL. My first thought when I saw the onside kick was that we did it just so we can pull out the victory formation on an SEC team. I laughed SO hard when we recovered that kick.

rock on sooner
1/3/2014, 11:35 AM
It was karma actually....hard squib kick to prevent organized return,
as was mentioned, but bouncing off Bama and OU recovering was just
to rub it in on Saban. If you saw his expression, it was "WTF else can
go against us?"

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 11:42 AM
It was a good thing for both teams. I know I've seen the tragic situation in a bowl game where the game is decided, but the losing team must go through the motions of trying to pull out a miracle. Then some poor player blows who has a high draft grade blows out his knee.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 11:56 AM
I kinda wanted to play some defense so we could get another touchdown. I wasnt ready for that game to end.

HToady
1/3/2014, 12:05 PM
If I'm Stoops I'm definitely taking credit for this "drawn up" play. "Worked just the way we planned it".

Awesome ending to an awesome effort.

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2014, 12:05 PM
the enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

That may be the sports quote of the year. LMAO!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2014, 12:25 PM
I never heard an explanation from OU, but it looked like an accidental onside kick. Still awesome.

Just before that I was hoping that last TD would be called back so we could kill the clock at the 1 without giving Bama ANY chance to touch the ball again.Howdy comrade, where you been?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2014, 12:26 PM
Just before that I was hoping that last TD would be called back so we could kill the clock at the 1 without giving Bama ANY chance to touch the ball again.

At least I wasn't the only one remembering Boise State and Walker's INT return. Karma had our back this time though and things went our way.

cvsooner
1/3/2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I was at that Fiesta Bowl. I remember thinking at the time that I wished Walker had made a hard left when he got to the goal line and ran parallel to it to take some time off the clock and then stop just short of running out of bounds and standing there until somebody knocked him into the endzone.

Not realistic, I know, but we played pretty good defense on the next series after the kickoff. People seem to forget Bozo State converted a fricking 4th and 17 on the hook and lateral. Criminy. I'm gettin' mad just thinking about it.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 03:44 PM
At least I wasn't the only one remembering Boise State and Walker's INT return. Karma had our back this time though and things went our way.

I was pissed when Grissom not only scooped it up instead of falling on it, but also stretched the ball out for the goal line. Way too risky, and just an all-around selfish play.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 04:02 PM
I was pissed when Grissom not only scooped it up instead of falling on it, but also stretched the ball out for the goal line. Way too risky, and just an all-around selfish play.

Very little risk and the young man was excited. "Selfish" is a bit harsh. I'm sure his fumble scoop from early in the game affected his thinking and that was a huge play. Those 30 extra yards really changed the game vs. just falling on it and leaving us inside our own 10. We scored on that drive.

SCSoonerfan
1/3/2014, 05:16 PM
I know it was a squib kick and ended up looking like an onside kick but after it happened all I had was visions of that dude in The Waterboy lining up for the onside kick at the end scanning the return team and finally saying "Oh yeah theres my bit*h"

winout
1/3/2014, 05:20 PM
like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusPh4mHPJQ

I was at that game... first thing I thought of when I saw it last night.

jdg
1/3/2014, 05:59 PM
I was at that game... first thing I thought of when I saw it last night.

Same here

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2014, 02:14 AM
I thought at first that it was the ultimate middle finger move, but then seeing the replay, it was obviously a botch (followed by Bama screwing up once again, as they had all game). A very head's up play by special teams to get the botch recovery.
I thought the kicker meant to hit the Bammer player and had a hell of an aim...

SanJoaquinSooner
1/4/2014, 07:01 AM
It was a small part of Sooner Magic.

stoopified
1/4/2014, 11:35 AM
That play AND the look on Saban's face made me ROTFLMAO.

oupride
1/5/2014, 09:37 PM
Saban's face = priceless

okiewaker
1/5/2014, 10:33 PM
If he purposely tried to kick the ball into the Bama player, I give him props for akuracy.