PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Henry: next Heisman Trophy winner?

Since71ASooner4Life
1/3/2014, 02:22 AM
That kid is a freakin monster. 6'3" 238 and fast. Looks like the 2nd coming of Marcus Dupree, maybe a step slower. With a new QB next year they will probably run more also

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2014, 02:49 AM
Maybe he will go home to his mama, like Marcus did...

BigJerm7
1/3/2014, 06:25 AM
No, Trevor Knight next Heisman Trophy winner.

OklaPony
1/3/2014, 08:21 AM
That kid is a freakin monster. 6'3" 238 and fast. Looks like the 2nd coming of Marcus Dupree, maybe a step slower. With a new QB next year they will probably run more also
This, big time, except for the step slower part. If that kid stays healthy, has any kind of brain and some work ethic we may get to see a new all-everything wonder boy. Very impressive.

BigTip
1/3/2014, 10:25 AM
Had this kid gotten any press during the year?
I said it somewhere else here, he looks like a man among boys.
As the talking heads say, "He'll be playing on Sundays."

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2014, 10:30 AM
Dude was amazing. Flat-out amazing.

CowboyMRW
1/3/2014, 10:35 AM
All time leading high school rusher wasn't he?

soonergirlNeugene
1/3/2014, 10:39 AM
If his performance last night was any indicator, he should be the nation's leading rusher provided he can stay healthy and focused.

Sooner in Tampa
1/3/2014, 10:41 AM
If the Bama coaches had half a brain...they would have continued to use him to bash in our brains...that kid was out of this world

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2014, 10:44 AM
If the Bama coaches had half a brain...they would have continued to use him to bash in our brains...that kid was out of this world

this....I was worried they'd figure that out...guess not. Kid is a stud.

freshchris05
1/3/2014, 10:47 AM
I was hoping they would try to showcase AJ McCarron for the NFL and overplay their hand. Which they did a little bit. But ultimately they really just got their asses kicked, that was determination.

badger
1/3/2014, 10:48 AM
Bama isn't very good at hyping Heisman candidates or even creating them. Trent Richardson seemed to get it just as the defacto "maybe its time Bama finally get a Heisman" candidate his year, not because he was the greatest running back in the history of ever or did anything spectacularly outstanding (other than championships and all, heh)

Saban is too boring to create a highlight reel suitable for Heisman-ing. Look for Oregon to hype the hell outta Mariotta, Ohio State to do whatever they usually do with their quarterback, and OU to give some hype to their star offensive guys, whether that's Trevor or someone else.

badger
1/3/2014, 10:48 AM
I was hoping they would try to showcase AJ McCarron for the NFL and overplay their hand. Which they did a little bit. But ultimately they really just got their asses kicked, that was determination.

I really think that the NFL was on AJ's mind last night, or perhaps his girlfriend. Whatever the hell was on his mind, it certainly wasn't the game.

OklaPony
1/3/2014, 10:50 AM

this....I was worried they'd figure that out...guess not. Kid is a stud.
I don't think their coaches missed anything. IMO chances are better that he lacks AD stamina and couldn't go any more than what they used him for. There's really no other logical explanation.

badger
1/3/2014, 10:53 AM
I don't think their coaches missed anything. IMO chances are better that he lacks AD stamina and couldn't go any more than what they used him for. There's really no other logical explanation.

There was also the clock issue. We were draining it at the end of the game, so they were pretty much forced to try to pass a bit. Then Eric Striker happened. :D

BigTip
1/3/2014, 11:15 AM
I really think that...AJ's mind last night, or perhaps his girlfriend.

She was on mine. The camera went on her and I said out loud, "nice." My wife came running in from the kitchen, "What? What did you say?"
Busted! lol

Eielson
1/3/2014, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking Shaun Alexander. His barber needs to be shot, though.

BBQ Man
1/3/2014, 11:54 AM
No, Trevor Knight next Heisman Trophy winner.

That really could be the Heisman race - Knight vs Henry

rock on sooner
1/3/2014, 11:58 AM
That really could be the Heisman race - Knight vs Henry

Won't happen next year, though...IMO, TK's year will be his junior
year. I don't think Henry will be around long enough to win the
Heisman....he is NFL ready right now!

Since71ASooner4Life
1/3/2014, 10:41 PM
All time leading high school rusher wasn't he?

he had 55 TDs and 4261 yards. 462 carries!

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/derrick-henry/-LkaafTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Since71ASooner4Life
1/3/2014, 10:45 PM

Your theory sounds logical, but he had 462 carries senior year of HS! It's a little different trampling people, but still that is a SHT load of carries

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/derrick-henry/-LkaafTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Rivals had this kid as a 4-star.

picasso
1/3/2014, 10:49 PM
Big but not big in the legs like Dupree.

Soonerus
1/3/2014, 11:18 PM
Sloppy tackling helped his performance ....

Snrinhouston
1/3/2014, 11:26 PM
Predicting the next Heisman winner is usually very difficult. That being said, I think there is a decent chance that the next Heisman winner may be Trevor Knight.

1. He is capable of performing at a high level.
2. He will be playing on a team that should be VERY good and receive a lot a national attention.
3. He's very likable.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/3/2014, 11:37 PM
2012 HS highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2ARNqHNCA

that is Marcus Dupree!

dennis580
1/4/2014, 12:50 AM

Very hard to see anybody beating Winston.

soonergirlNeugene
1/4/2014, 12:54 AM
His HS highlights do look a lot like Dupree's.

lexsooner
1/4/2014, 09:59 AM
For his sake, I hope he has better practice habits than Dupree.

tooslow
1/4/2014, 10:30 AM
Henry looked VERY impressive. I'd still need to see him replicate that for several games. I thought the KSU receiver was going to be the next Jerry Rice. ;)

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2014, 11:37 AM
Maybe a tad early to hand him the stiff arm trophy. I do predict he will drag and/or run over more defensive players in the future.

OhU1
1/4/2014, 01:19 PM
Dupree was what immediately came to mind to me. Henry was a beast! Henry also reminded me of how Vince Young looked with defenders helplessly swiping at his legs as he blew past. I'm glad we survived hurricane Henry. He'll be interesting to watch in the future.

Jacie
1/4/2014, 02:31 PM
If they could have run him more they would have. He only had 8 carries and in the 4th quarter when the defense keyed on him, held him for no gain on what I think was his last time to touch the ball.

He gashed our defense because that was what Mike was giving them, choosing instead to go after McCarron, who was the obvious weapon of choice. Ultimately, that proved to be the correct decision.

dennis580
1/4/2014, 04:30 PM
Wow he kicked a 34 yard fg in his jr year in high school.

jkjsooner
1/4/2014, 04:37 PM
Bama isn't very good at hyping Heisman candidates or even creating them. Trent Richardson seemed to get it just as the defacto "maybe its time Bama finally get a Heisman" candidate his year, not because he was the greatest running back in the history of ever or did anything spectacularly outstanding (other than championships and all, heh)

Saban is too boring to create a highlight reel suitable for Heisman-ing. Look for Oregon to hype the hell outta Mariotta, Ohio State to do whatever they usually do with their quarterback, and OU to give some hype to their star offensive guys, whether that's Trevor or someone else.

My Bama friend told me years ago that Bear didn't want any Heisman winners and would not push for it. If so then he was a real ahole...

I think you meant Ingram.

They should have waited and given the trophy to Richardson or Lacy who were both head and shoulders better than Ingram.

East Coast Bias
1/4/2014, 05:26 PM
I don't think the kid had the stamina to do more. Everytime the camera panned to him on the sideline he was huffing and puffing. His moves are pure Marcus Dupre, his hairdo makes him look like the Predator....

1/4/2014, 06:00 PM
he is a scary bionic, who looks like he could hurt you.

SoonerPride
1/4/2014, 06:10 PM
He won't win the Heisman.

You people remind me of Beano Cook after watching one game saying Ron Powlus would win 3 Heismans.

Give me a break.

He won't win one.

Oh and for the record neither did Rhett Bomar.

1/4/2014, 06:14 PM
He won't win the Heisman.

You people remind me of Beano Cook after watching one game saying Ron Powlus would win 3 Heismans.

Give me a break.

He won't win one.

will he run home to mama?

bluedogok
1/4/2014, 06:56 PM
I don't think the kid had the stamina to do more. Everytime the camera panned to him on the sideline he was huffing and puffing. His moves are pure Marcus Dupre, his hairdo makes him look like the Predator....
Reminded me a little of the Fiesta Bowl with Dupree.

TXBOOMER
1/4/2014, 11:18 PM
That kid is a freak, reminded me of AD minus the stamina.

Tidefan36854
1/4/2014, 11:53 PM

I highly doubt that. As stated, he rushed for 4200+ yards last year, so I don't think that is the issue. His roommate, OJ Howard, said that DH will wake him up at 3 AM doing push-ups and he is gym rat. His stamina is not an issue, IMO.

Truth be told, a lot of Bama fans are scratching our heads at why he didn't get more playing time - but - he did struggle early on. He lined up wrong numerous times, whiffed on numerous blitz pickups, and actually had a false start in one game. He never pass blocked in HS, so his blocking ability has had to be taught this year, so he had to be developed as a complete back. OTOH, TJ Yeldon has kinda had a bit of a sophomore slump along with a nagging ankle injury. He has had a fumbling issue this year as well, and the one he had the other night ended up maybe being the difference in the game. He has not played as well this year as he did last year, although he hasn't been bad. Henry got the PT he got in this game because our other back, Kenyan Drake, can't seem to stay out of the doghouse. He has gotten in trouble and spent time on the bench two separate times this year. He made an apology of sorts on twitter today, so hopefully he'll get his act together. He is fastest, most explosive back we have. I hope all 3 come back healthy and hungry next year, because we a first year QB, they'll all get carries, I think.

Henry is going to really special though. He was bright spot on an otherwise dark day Thursday night. I think we came out trying to play OU's style of play and got beat because of it. The Sugar Bowl was the lowest number of rushes we've had in any game this year. When you take away sack yardage and the number "carries" that get called rushes for 6 sacks, we averaged 5.9 YPC. We just never committed to the run like we normally do. Its funny too, because the staff was criticized by a lot of armchair QB's out there for not throwing the ball enough, and in this game, the same people are bitching because we tried to throw the ball too much. -lol

This is a pic from DH in High School. The kid is a fuh-reak! He is 6' 3", 240# with 4.49 speed and a 42" vertical. I can't wait to see him next year.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/594/820/820594.jpg

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2014, 12:16 AM
We just never committed to the run like we normally do. Its funny too, because the staff was criticized by a lot of armchair QB's out there for not throwing the ball enough, and in this game, the same people are bitching because we tried to throw the ball too much. -lol

LOL indeed - all boards are alike. Had our pass-first game plan not worked, this board would have erupted with "why didn't you run da dam ball? We have a running QB!" and "fire Heupel!". After seeing your guys run D, if would have been a big phail and our brilliant new QB probably wouldn't have lasted the game. "Hail Heupel!".

Tidefan36854
1/5/2014, 12:19 AM
My Bama friend told me years ago that Bear didn't want any Heisman winners and would not push for it. If so then he was a real ahole...

I think you meant Ingram.

They should have waited and given the trophy to Richardson or Lacy who were both head and shoulders better than Ingram.

I think that is taken a bit out of context. Coach Bryant coached John David Crow at TAMU who won a Heisman. What he wouldn't do is give one guy 35 carries when he thought giving one guy 20 carries and another guy 15 carries would increase the chances of winning. A good case in point of that is that in 1973, Bama had a game against Virginia Tech where they rushed for 748 yards, and no RB had over 200 yards rushing. Coach Saban is the same way, and I have no problem with that. I wouldn't trade any one of CPB or CNS' NC trophies for a Heisman.

Ingram's Heisman came by default really, because Greg McElroy was a first starter and Mark had to carry the team a lot of the time when GMac struggled. I don't even know if Mark's 2009 season was really Heisman quality (by the standards of what are what they normally are these days), but I know we wouldn't have won the NC in 2009 without him, so I have no problem him winning it. I will agree that Trent and Eddie were more talented backs than Ingram. Mark was big in helping the Saints beat the Eagles tonight, so I'm glad to see him have several really good games this year.

Auburn fans don't believe this when we say it, and you might not either, but the Heisman is not that big of a deal to most Bama fans. Its kind of a great if we don't/great if we do kind of thing. In a perfect world, we would like to win the SEC Championship, the Remington, Maxwell, Doak Walker, Johnny Unitas, Butkus Awards, the Heisman Trophy, and NC every year, but the NC is the really the only that really matters, followed by the SEC Championship, IMO. Everything else is just gravy! ;)

BlownGP
1/5/2014, 01:55 AM
Mark was big in helping the Saints beat the Eagles tonight, so I'm glad to see him have several really good games this year.

YESSS! I'm glad he finally can carry the rock more than 5 times. He looks good out there..

picasso
1/5/2014, 02:37 AM
More of an Edwin Simmons than Marcus Dupree.

King Barry's Back
1/5/2014, 05:31 AM
Auburn fans don't believe this when we say it, and you might not either, but the Heisman is not that big of a deal to most Bama fans. Its kind of a great if we don't/great if we do kind of thing. In a perfect world, we would like to win the SEC Championship, the Remington, Maxwell, Doak Walker, Johnny Unitas, Butkus Awards, the Heisman Trophy, and NC every year, but the NC is the really the only that really matters, followed by the SEC Championship, IMO. Everything else is just gravy! ;)

Pretty much how most Sooners see it. The Heisman was a big deal for Baylor and RG III, but that's just cuz they never won anything else.

jkjsooner
1/5/2014, 05:04 PM
I think that is taken a bit out of context. Coach Bryant coached John David Crow at TAMU who won a Heisman. What he wouldn't do is give one guy 35 carries when he thought giving one guy 20 carries and another guy 15 carries would increase the chances of winning.

Don't disagree. Just repeating what the Bama friend said but I don't really trust much of what he says.

When I met the guy he said, "I don't really know OU from ISU." Not sure if he was that ignorant or just trying to tick me off.

Auburn fans don't believe this when we say it, and you might not either, but the Heisman is not that big of a deal to most Bama fans.

Yes but it is a huge deal to those who win it which was my point.