PDA

View Full Version : Was this the best QB performance of the Stoops era?

jiminy
1/3/2014, 01:33 AM
Admittedly I don't have the encyclopedic memory of OU performances that some have... but I can't think of a better one. Accurate passing, making plays with his feet, decision-making... what better performance was there? Maybe one of the Texas blowouts? Or some of the high-scoring Bradford games in 2008 down the stretch. Definitely the best in a bowl game, though, IMO

Refresh my memory, y'all...

soonerinabilene
1/3/2014, 01:40 AM
Best in a bowl game, I think.
Landry had a couple of games that were ridiculously stupid good, like 27/29 with 4 tds, but not in a big game like this.

delhalew
1/3/2014, 01:42 AM
Considering the competition...maybe.

nanimonai
1/3/2014, 01:46 AM
Probably not by the numbers...we've had some outstanding QB play in the Stoops era but as far as getting it done in the clutch in a huge game it's up there.

Personally I rate Heupel in 2000 Nebraska when we were down 0-14 in the 1st quarter as one of the best.

picasso
1/3/2014, 01:47 AM
No. Heupel at KSU in 2000. They were breathing down his neck and we only had 11 yards rushing.

Sooners78
1/3/2014, 01:54 AM
Heupel Nebraska and ksu. Heupel 2000 Texas. Q did the scoring, but Heupel still had great game. This performance compares to those. I would also put 2008 Osu Bradford because of the dive.

aurorasooner
1/3/2014, 02:04 AM
ENA had a damned good game against Boise State, but that was over-shadowed by the L. The Worm had a great game against Tennessee in the Orange Bowl as well.
But I do agree it was one of the best Sooner QB performances in a Bowl game if you consider the competition.

winout
1/3/2014, 02:18 AM
I gotta say we had some receiver step up tonight as well.

picasso
1/3/2014, 02:35 AM
http://sync.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100288/100288384.htm

Mac94
1/3/2014, 08:28 AM
Considering the stage ... the opponent .... it just may have been. there will be better statistical games but not better games.

Wishboned
1/3/2014, 08:45 AM
I would say that we got a really good look last night at what the coaches saw in practice from Knight. Somebody flipped a switch on that boy and he came alive.

swardboy
1/3/2014, 09:15 AM
I would say that we got a really good look last night at what the coaches saw in practice from Knight. Somebody flipped a switch on that boy and he came alive.

Yeah, Stoops said we got to see what the coaches have been seeing in practice for the last two years. This was a real "coming out" party for Knight, and it probably puts him squarely in the Heisman list for 2014. Of course Jameis Winston will be back too.

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2014, 10:33 AM
Considering the competition and the stage, yes. Other QBs have had better individual games against inferior opponents and on smaller stages, but this has to be the top if you consider the whole package.

picasso
1/3/2014, 11:03 AM
You guys must be young. Heupel at ksu was a huge stage on the road against a team that IMO was second best in the country that season.
He was a magician in that contest.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 11:17 AM
That was a great performance. All 4 TDs were fantastic throws and the 1 INT really should have been caught by Saunders. It was a bit high, but clearly catchable and it would have been a big gainer if caught. The 1 big mistake he made was trying to throw to Saunders late in the game while running hard to the right and the DB had a shot at the pick. It would have been a great catch, but still a mistake he got away with. He made several other great throws as well along with that 1 big run to get the first down in the redzone.

jkjsooner
1/3/2014, 11:24 AM
ENA had a damned good game against Boise State, but that was over-shadowed by the L. The Worm had a great game against Tennessee in the Orange Bowl as well.
But I do agree it was one of the best Sooner QB performances in a Bowl game if you consider the competition.

Are you kidding me? ENA missed at least two wide open guys for TD's. Had he hit either one and we would have won the game. Given, his accuracy beyond 25 yards was never a strength to say the least.

Just looked it up. He was 19 for 32 with 2 TD's and 3 interceptions. How in the world you consider that a damned good game is beyond me.

I love what ENA did for us both at QB and receiver but he doesn't belong in this discussion.

rock on sooner
1/3/2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah, Stoops said we got to see what the coaches have been seeing in practice for the last two years. This was a real "coming out" party for Knight, and it probably puts him squarely in the Heisman list for 2014. Of course Jameis Winston will be back too.

TK would need Bradford-like numbers to be in the Heisman talk
next year but 2015, surrounded by some senior wideouts and Ford
not fumbling, TK will light up the Big XII and get serious consideration.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 12:15 PM
Are you kidding me? ENA missed at least two wide open guys for TD's. Had he hit either one and we would have won the game. Given, his accuracy beyond 25 yards was never a strength to say the least.

Just looked it up. He was 19 for 32 with 2 TD's and 3 interceptions. How in the world you consider that a damned good game is beyond me.

I love what ENA did for us both at QB and receiver but he doesn't belong in this discussion.

I'm going to have to agree. ENA directed a great comeback and showed he was resilient, but his early mistakes really hurt. He threw a pick six and that wasn't his worst mistake. On an early series, he had Malcolm Kelly wide open for a deep pass and he under threw it so bad that Kelly had to wait and try to out jump a safety that had time to recover. They got their legs tangled up and Kelly injured his knee and was out for the game. Kelly was a total mismatch for everyone in their secondary and his absence was huge.

Wishboned
1/3/2014, 01:20 PM

I think the 2006 Big 12 Championship game would be a better choice for Thompson. He was 19-34 for 265 yards. 2 TD's and 1 pick. But on that 99 yard drive that broke Nebraska's back he was money.