PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we finish in the top 5?

instigator
1/3/2014, 01:10 AM
If Clemson and Okie State wins, then there are 5 teams ahead of us that lost and we could jump Oregon since they only beat Texas.

2014 has a chance to be special.

Sooner95
1/3/2014, 01:11 AM
Id say no...7th or 8th is there though

OhU1
1/3/2014, 01:12 AM
Do we finish ahead of Bama?

DenverSooner751
1/3/2014, 01:22 AM
If we were an sec team we would. Hahahahahahahalololololmaolmao

stoopified
1/3/2014, 01:24 AM
I figure #7

instigator
1/3/2014, 01:25 AM
I am thinking 7 too but 5 seems possible. Just depends on how much credit we get.

OhU1
1/3/2014, 01:28 AM
Seems like when a team beats OU they shoot up the rankings. When OU wins an unexpected game then the win get discounted and the spin is that the other team was overrated.

Sooners78
1/3/2014, 01:43 AM
Do we finish ahead of Bama?

Same record, but bama is sec, we are not. I would not be surprised if they finish ahead of us.

soonerinabilene
1/3/2014, 01:45 AM
Probably not, but we likely start 2014 in the top 5.

IGotNoTiming
1/3/2014, 01:46 AM

dennis580
1/3/2014, 01:47 AM
We will be top 5 no doubt about it.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 01:49 AM
Seems like when a team beats OU they shoot up the rankings. When OU wins an unexpected game then the win get discounted and the spin is that the other team was overrated.

Not when that other team is Bama.

dennis580
1/3/2014, 01:50 AM
Could finish as high as #3. If Ohio St loses, and FSU blows out Auburn like I expect(I think FSU is going to put quite a whipping on Auburn)

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 01:53 AM
I don't really care what the final number is, but it is a fact we'll have the 2nd biggest bowl win outside the title game.

birddog
1/3/2014, 02:05 AM

Maybe because we are usually high in the rankings? And when we win the team's they beat are typically behind us. It's not rocket surgery!!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/3/2014, 02:29 AM
bama lost their last 2 games. we should finish ahead of them.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 03:23 AM
I think so. I see something like this (it obviously depends somewhat on the MNC outcome)...

1. FSU
2. Michigan State
3. Auburn
4. OU
5. Alabama

Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn, and Florida State are the only BCS conference teams that could potentially have 1 or less losses. We'll have to see how the MNC and OSU/Clemson games go, but I see us at 3-5.

EatLeadCommie
1/3/2014, 03:31 AM
It doesn't matter. What matters is the momentum created from this and how we turn it to our advantage in recruiting and the confidence it creates in Trevor.

SoCalBigRed
1/3/2014, 03:39 AM
I think we sneak into the Top 5. That was a beat down of epic proportion, already considered one of the greatest bowl game ever...

I like our changes.

Curly Bill
1/3/2014, 03:41 AM
Yeah, couldn't care less what our final ranking is. What matters is we played really well in a "big game" against a "big opponent," and some dudes we are gonna be counting on in the coming seasons were really good.

I also think that this can't but help Bob and the coaching staff as well, getting the monkey off our backs - you know: bowl game, highly thought of opponent, instead of choking, or not showing up, we were on fire....

...and yeah, great momentum to end the season.

All the above matters. Final ranking - not so much.

But...this is a message board so no qualms with those who wanna debate the matter.

BigTip
1/3/2014, 10:38 AM
Am I remembering right that we have finished in the top five more times than any program?

GDN
1/3/2014, 10:48 AM
I'm hoping we make the top 5. Can't leave Bama ahead of us after that. The next few years should be quite special to be a Sooner.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 11:23 AM
I think we sneak into the Top 5. That was a beat down of epic proportion, already considered one of the greatest bowl game ever...

I like our changes.

Beat down? It was an exciting game, but Bama had a chance to tie right up until Striker forced the fumble. I wouldn't call that a beat down.

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2014, 11:26 AM
I see this win as really pushing some guys over in recruiting. As young as the team is...we will be set to make a run next year and after. Mixon, and a few others...got to be impressed.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 11:32 AM
Yeah, not really a beatdown of Alabama. We beatdown that spread pretty good, though.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah, not really a beatdown of Alabama. We beatdown that spread pretty good, though.

True dat. But what does the spread really mean unless your betting the game? Hard to fault that Bama was so heavily favored given that OU had not played that well an any game this season. And no, I'm not complaining :D

Scott D
1/3/2014, 02:04 PM
Beat down? It was an exciting game, but Bama had a chance to tie right up until Striker forced the fumble. I wouldn't call that a beat down.

this is the exciting headlines era, anything over 3 points is a beatdown.....ie the 2003 Sugar Bowl, where a TD win by LSU was a beatdown.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2014, 02:06 PM
this is the exciting headlines era, anything over 3 points is a beatdown.....ie the 2003 Sugar Bowl, where a TD win by LSU was a beatdown.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 03:42 PM

We got beat down 24-14 by Florida a few years back.

rock on sooner
1/3/2014, 03:51 PM

Naw, the "beatdown" was an idiot for OC in that game!

Scott D
1/4/2014, 08:23 PM
We got beat down 24-14 by Florida a few years back.

we've established that anything greater than 3 points is a blowout or beatdown.

SoonernAR
1/4/2014, 08:47 PM
Recruiting-wise, how could a 5-star blue chip running back not see the potential of coming in and being in the national spot-light. Coach Stoops just needs to sell that dream to the next man-beast.

SoonerInHSV
1/4/2014, 08:59 PM
No, no, no, no, no... IF you are an SEC team then a 3 point win is a beat down. Since we are in the Big 12 we have to win by at least 21 unless we play an SEC team in which case it is 35. Look it up on ESPNpedia.com.

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2014, 08:43 PM
....no worse than no.6

ss

Wishboned
1/5/2014, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking we finish ranked #5.

8timechamps
1/5/2014, 08:50 PM
The win over Bama won't really affect recruiting much for this class (regardless of what you hear, Mixon was coming to OU anyway). The win will pay recruiting dividends starting with the 2015 class (already has).

I've never really felt like our recruiting was "down", but overall, this will make it easier for the coaches to recruit. Especially in SEC country.

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2014, 09:12 PM
The win over Bama won't really affect recruiting much for this class (regardless of what you hear, Mixon was coming to OU anyway). The win will pay recruiting dividends starting with the 2015 class (already has).

I've never really felt like our recruiting was "down", but overall, this will make it easier for the coaches to recruit. Especially in SEC country.

...much like the years when UT was an annual non conference game that gave OU a huge boost in recruiting Texas, methinks the new Bowl tie-in between the Big 12 and SEC will give OU new leverage recruiting SEC country...of course that works in reverse as well

ss

Boomer Mooner
1/5/2014, 09:56 PM
I'm not as concerned about where we end up this season as where we start next year. At the end of next regular season we control our own destiny if we end up in the top 4. Ending up at #5 would really suck.

kevpks
1/5/2014, 11:24 PM
I'm not as concerned about where we end up this season as where we start next year. At the end of next regular season we control our own destiny if we end up in the top 4. Ending up at #5 would really suck.

Of course, you could end up 5th in the poll and still go to the playoffs since a committee places teams.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2014, 12:17 AM

It was a beat down. Score was closer than the game.

Besides, I'm still hearing about the "beat down" put on us by LSU, and that was only 7 points.

EDIT: Crap! People already made my points, again. I'm in Central European Time Zone and am always Johnny-come-lately in these threads.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2014, 02:24 AM

Besides, I'm still hearing about the "beat down" put on us by LSU, and that was only 7 points.

EDIT: Crap! People already made my points, again. I'm in Central European Time Zone and am always Johnny-come-lately in these threads.

If you were comfortable with an assured 'W' on Bama's last possession, you're either a fool or a liar.

stoopified
1/6/2014, 11:15 AM
Am I remembering right that we have finished in the top five more times than any program?Cannot find an absolute anwer for you but according to my research,yes. I checked Final Poll rankings for the winnigest teams in CFB history Top 5 finshes and came up with the following:
OU- 29
Ohio St. -25
Bama- 22
Notre Dame - 22
Texas - 20
USC-18
Michigan 16
Tennessee -13
Nebraska - 13

I can't say this is official as it is based solely on my research. I would add that it does not include any potential top 5 finishes this year.

stoopified
1/6/2014, 11:34 AM
Should be noted FSU has 15 Top 5 finishes including 14 in a row from 1987-2000. Miami has 12, all but one since 1983.

instigator
1/6/2014, 11:53 AM
I think #5 could be a boost to where we start next year but i am thinking we finish #6.

We could jump:
Alabama, Stanford, Baylor, Ohio St, South Carolina, Mizzou and Oregon. All (but Stanford) with the same 2 losses as us.

No way we can't jump FSU, AUB or MSU.

The highest we could get is #4 but I don't know about jumping Mizzou and SC (Big time SEC powers that they are). We probably jump at least one of them to get to #6.

I'm all out of Sooner football to watch so I have to fill my time with something.

I only care because it helps where we start next year and for my own persona interest, i could never have imagined it after Baylor. I was afraid we'd finish 1-2 in the regular season. What a great turn around.

Sooners78
1/6/2014, 12:53 PM
A better question is how many SEC teams will begin the season in the top 10? My guess is 4.

Eielson
1/6/2014, 04:33 PM
Jumping Auburn is possible if they lose.

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 04:47 PM
Keep this in mind for next year:

Tennessee is going to end up being pretty good, so a win over the Vols could go a long way in helping our end ranking. Throw in the few ranked Big XII teams, and if we take care of business, there should be no problem with landing a spot in the playoffs.

ESPN (and former Buckeye) Robert Smith tweeted his early preseason top 5 yesterday, and he had OU at #2 (behind FSU). We should have a good starting position for the season.

sendbaht
1/7/2014, 12:48 AM
so when do the standings come out? be cool number 5 but 7 seems more like it...hope I'm wrong..

Eielson
1/7/2014, 01:49 AM
I'd say we'll be 4-6. Probably comes down to how much love they'll show the SEC.

aurorasooner
1/7/2014, 01:59 AM
I'd say we'll be 4-6. Probably comes down to how much love they'll show the SEC.I knew CBS would frick us. They suck the SEC as bad as ESPiN. OU 7th Bama 4th. HitH you lose your last 2 games and remain 4th is beyond me.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs

Widescreen
1/7/2014, 02:06 AM
I knew CBS would frick us. They suck the SEC as bad as ESPiN. OU 7th Bama 4th. HitH you lose your last 2 games and remain 4th is beyond me.

That's not a real poll.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2014, 02:08 AM
I knew CBS would frick us. They suck the SEC as bad as ESPiN. OU 7th Bama 4th. HitH you lose your last 2 games and remain 4th is beyond me.

Not surprising - CBS was the station dedicated to SEC football this season. ESPN is much more even handed with SEC coverage than CBS. I assume that changes next year with the SEC/ESPN network.

SoonerofAlabama
1/7/2014, 03:15 AM
AP had us at 6, Alabama at 7.

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2014, 04:07 AM
6th in coaches too. I've seen worse rebuilding years:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Temujin
1/7/2014, 07:43 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one that dealt with an LSU fan that thinks that game was a beatdown, too. An LSU fan that I worked with not too long ago insists that game was a blowout. I told him that with less than 2 minutes left Jason White missed a pass that would've tied the game and sent it into OT, but he still thinks they blew us out. He also thinks that Florida blew us out as well. Just a dumb meathead SEC fan, but I think it's funny that he's not the only one now.

Oh, the funniest part about WHY he "says" it was a beatdown? He linked me to a newspaper article from a Louisiana newspaper that described the game that way. What a 'tard.

Widescreen
1/7/2014, 08:30 AM
How about that? We actually finished higher than our preseason ranking for a change. Nice!

stoopified
1/7/2014, 08:45 AM
WQe're#6 We're #6 We're #6 Hoping computer bump lifts us to #5 in BCS

King Barry's Back
1/7/2014, 09:13 AM
If you were comfortable with an assured 'W' on Bama's last possession, you're either a fool or a liar.

OK, yeah, I guess you're right, but I'm not sure how it's relevant here? Alabama got beat down, still had a chance to win late despite that fact. But +1 to you the debating champ. Cheers.

sendbaht
1/7/2014, 09:13 AM
"WQe're#6 We're #6 We're #6 Hoping computer bump lifts us to #5 in BCS "

We will stay at #11 in the BCS...

Sooners78
1/7/2014, 09:22 AM

By an assured 'W', do you mean for OU or for Bama? Chances were very slim that AJ would drive them down the field in a minute to tie the game, even without the fumble. The only time their offense was effective was when there was a run threat. They had a possession with 10 minutes left in the game when they were down by 14. They went three and out because they passed every down and we knew they were passing. Looking back on that, I'm glad they didn't just give the ball to Henry instead. That would have been their best chance to comeback, and at that point, they still had time to run the ball.

Now, that said, would I have been nervous during the last minute of the game if Striker hadn't forced the fumble? He!! yes!

kevpks
1/7/2014, 09:27 AM
Mizzou and South Carolina? SEC propaganda won't die. Cocks and Tigers, meet us at the flagpole at 3 o'clock and we'll settle this.

KantoSooner
1/7/2014, 09:39 AM
Meh. If you'd talked to me in August, I'd have taken #6 and run away with it. It's fair considering our loss to Baylor and complete brain fart in Dallas. No, SC and Mizzou don't 'deserve' their rankings, but we didn't do enough to shove them aside.

Sooners78
1/7/2014, 10:11 AM
It amazes me how much cred Mizzou now has just because they have SEC next to their name. If they had this same season as a member of the Big 12, they wouldn't even crack the top 10.
Same thing with aTm. The season they had would have had them ranked 24 at best if they were still in the Big 12.

TAFBSooner
1/7/2014, 10:17 AM
WQe're#6 We're #6 We're #6 Hoping computer bump lifts us to #5 in BCS

BCS is now only in the past tense.

instigator
1/7/2014, 10:22 AM
Mizzou and South Carolina? SEC propaganda won't die. Cocks and Tigers, meet us at the flagpole at 3 o'clock and we'll settle this.

Yep. South Carolina's best win was over Mizzou and Mizzou's best win was over OSU.

Wishboned
1/7/2014, 10:26 AM
Yep. South Carolina's best win was over Mizzou and Mizzou's best win was over OSU.

I would give Missouri a nod over OU since both of their losses are to currently ranked teams. But both of SC's losses came to teams that aren't ranked.