PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 in Bowls

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2013, 12:29 PM
Guess I'm maybe in the minority..I'd like to see the Big 12 do well
Started right, ksu got the win over the big10.

Where I'm at I hope the pokes beat tigers. Got family that are pokes, tired of the sec crap, and it'd be sweet up here in kc for that to happen.

Guess the only team I could care less about is horns...but if they won I'd be okay with that.

yermom
12/29/2013, 12:40 PM
it seems like a lot of our matchups are with higher ranked teams

doesn't bode well for the bowl record...

SoonerMarkVA
12/29/2013, 12:58 PM
Always like to see the XII do well in bowls. Our conference needs to boost its rep. We're not the new Big East, but we've dropped from 1A in perception to somewhere in the lower half. Makes a big difference in recruiting.

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2013, 01:01 PM
yes on both...hopefully the league can prove them wrong. It definitely would help the overall perception.

okiewaker
12/29/2013, 02:14 PM
I "certainly" wanna see the Big 12 teams kick the SEC teams! :cool:

shytnik
12/29/2013, 02:15 PM
it seems like a lot of our matchups are with higher ranked teams

doesn't bode well for the bowl record...

This is very true, we don't have many favorable match ups. And if you look at the SEC schools nearly every one of them has a favorable match up, which will just continue the love fest.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/29/2013, 04:04 PM
1 conference loss I want for sure, is those orange aggy guys from up there at the Stool. Even if it is to those Sooner haters from mizry.

yermom
12/29/2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know. A bowl win would kinda make their loss to us just sting that much more :)

12/29/2013, 05:15 PM
I don't know. A bowl win would kinda make their loss to us just sting that much more :)it's about recruiting to me, too. i contend that if our neighbors look like sh*t in their bowls, it gives us a better chance of landing their prized recruits, rather than that bowl loser, conference neighbor.:excitement:

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/29/2013, 05:21 PM
The Fighting Snyders got us off to a good start.

12/29/2013, 05:27 PM
The Fighting Snyders got us off to a good start.those Locketts should be Sooners, instead of godforsaken town wildcats.

dennis580
12/29/2013, 07:06 PM
I will be cheering for all the Big 12 teams including Texas, and Oklahoma St. Big 12 bowl performance could be the difference in OU making the playoffs next year.

12/29/2013, 07:59 PM
I will be cheering for all the Big 12 teams including Texas, and Oklahoma St. Big 12 bowl performance could be the difference in OU making the playoffs next year.Point taken, but I would prefer better recruiting for OU. Humper aggy at least, needs to come up short.

TXBOOMER
12/29/2013, 08:07 PM
it's about recruiting to me, too. i contend that if our neighbors look like sh*t in their bowls, it gives us a better chance of landing their prized recruits, rather than that bowl loser, conference neighbor.:excitement:

DITTO! I'm an OU fan, not a Big 12 conference fan. That conference fan BS started with loser SEC schools trying to bandwagon on the strong schools in their conference.

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2013, 09:12 PM
lol...nope. Guess I see it different...if the teams we beat, beat a higher ranked team that makes OU/Big 12 look better. Obviously I hope OU wins, now...if OU loses do I want other teams to win...not really but until OU plays I'm for the Big 12 winning.

Recruits between OU and osu are not going to make a decision based on one game...so for them to win a bowl is not a biggie.

Sooner95
12/29/2013, 09:19 PM
I would agree. Any win over the sec is good. I really could care less is Texass beat Oregon tho..

Collier11
12/29/2013, 10:39 PM
I could care less about Big 12 bowl record vs other conferences, I think it is pointless and doesn't prove anything. I want texas and osu to lose, I want OU to win. Other than that, ill pull for the Big 12

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2013, 11:52 PM
it's all about location....

being in KC..all I hear is mu and the mighty sec how grand they are..(.I know if you live south the pokes will b a$$es if they win)...hence I'd rather see osu over mu

JLEW1818
12/30/2013, 01:13 AM
I could care less about Big 12 bowl record vs other conferences, I think it is pointless and doesn't prove anything. I want texas and osu to lose, I want OU to win. Other than that, ill pull for the Big 12

Nicely said

SanJoaquinSooner
12/30/2013, 01:42 AM
War {Big 12/Whorns}. Hope Oregon smokes the whorns. Hope all other Big 12 teams win.

Edit: My hoping paid big dividends this evening.

yermom
12/30/2013, 02:47 AM
It helps us if winning the Big 12 actually means something

For example, it is nice when we end up with two teams in the BCS

If Texass and OSU suck, then it means nothing if we beat them

It is still funny when they lose though. It's kinda win-win watching either of them play

King Crimson
12/30/2013, 08:20 AM
usually, for me.....if their are strategic reasons for OSU or UT to win i have the mental disposition i will kinda sorta pull for them....but once the game actually starts i want them to lose.

i agree this will likely be a tough bowl season for the Big XII. underdogs in most games....i don't really care much except for the media dogpile, circle jerk about conference strength based on bowl records....which doesn't mean much on it's own. too many variables. about 4-5 years ago the Pac went undefeated in bowls....but all those games were played before Dec 27 or something, minus their BCS rep. Rose Bowl whatever. i'd rather lose in a BCS game than beat a 7 win Iowa team in a car battery bowl.

BigTip
12/30/2013, 09:59 AM
I think it helps us more for the Big12 teams to win as opposed to our in-conference recruiting rivals lose.
I can see headlines saying "Big12 dominates" or something like that. Anything helps to bust that SEC SEC SEC media lovefest crap.

Scott D
12/30/2013, 03:19 PM
Cheering is easy, in bowl season I cheer for OU and anyone playing an SEC team.

12/30/2013, 04:41 PM
when I watch a game with a Big 12 team in it(except for ut and LosuR) my heart says "go conference", then I think about it and say to myself, wait...what? those other Big 12 conference teams hate our as*, and fight us for just about every recruit we want. Let 'em burn, baby!

Collier11
12/30/2013, 06:18 PM
we directly recruit against and compete against those teams, why would you want them to do anything to enhance their program? Those of you who rooted for texas to win the national title ought to be slapped

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2013, 07:18 PM
we directly recruit against and compete against those teams, why would you want them to do anything to enhance their program? Those of you who rooted for texas to win the national title ought to be slapped

I rooted for Texas and I like being slapped (by the right slapper).

12/30/2013, 07:27 PM
Those of you who rooted for texas to win the national title ought to be slapped47 game win streak, baby! saved from usuc by the whorns. Only time I remember pulling for whorn, except when they play orange aggy or norte dome.

Mazeppa
12/30/2013, 07:50 PM
I hope osu get's rolled by mu and texas loses its a$$. Them winning does nothing for OU.

ashley
12/30/2013, 08:39 PM
UT being good is always good for us.

Soonerwake
12/30/2013, 11:44 PM
I hope osu get's rolled by mu and texas loses its a$$. Them winning does nothing for OU.

This x1000000000000000000

12/31/2013, 01:18 AM
I hope osu get's rolled by mu and texas loses its a$$. Them winning does nothing for OU.Exactly. Part B) accomplished. Way to go, fightin' Nikes!

12/31/2013, 01:21 AM
UT being good is always good for us.Wow!

Gotta be good for OU if orange aggy wins too, right?

Temujin
12/31/2013, 01:22 AM

I couldn't agree more.

Eielson
12/31/2013, 02:10 AM
I usually cheer for OSU in their bowl games. They're not good enough for me to start hating them, and I can't help but cheer for the many Oklahoma boys they have on their squad. I've personally watch guys like Chelf, Smith, and Lowe play in HS, and I'd like to see them succeed as long as they're not playing us.

FaninAma
12/31/2013, 02:17 AM
How in the hell did OU lose to a Case McCoy led team?

12/31/2013, 02:57 AM
How in the hell did OU lose to a Case McCoy led team?We didn't take them seriously, and assumed we would just roll them over, not taking into account the fact that many of their players have a lot of talent, and could be effective if properly motivated and coached.

12/31/2013, 02:59 AM
I usually cheer for OSU in their bowl games. They're not good enough for me to start hating them, and I can't help but cheer for the many Oklahoma boys they have on their squad. I've personally watch guys like Chelf, Smith, and Lowe play in HS, and I'd like to see them succeed as long as they're not playing us.glad we don't watch any orange(humper) aggy games in the same location.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/31/2013, 08:13 AM
Red Raiders did a number on ASU!

Mac94
12/31/2013, 08:20 AM
Texas' defense was impressive ... holding an explosive Oregon squad to 16 points. But that offense (minus their RB) was horrible ... was also asking myself how OU lost to that bunch. Great win by Tech, didn't see that one coming but major kudos to Kliff and the Red Raiders. The conference is a nice 2-1 at this point with the Bears up next.

Eielson
12/31/2013, 10:05 AM
glad we don't watch any orange(humper) aggy games in the same location.

You care that much about what OSU is doing? Sounds aggyish.

badger
12/31/2013, 10:18 AM

If you feel this bad about it, imagine how our players feel :(

SoonerSon
12/31/2013, 10:25 AM
I still like to pull for conference wins in bowl games...especially when teams that we beat put a slap down on a ranked team (e.g. Tech vs ASU last night).

And yes, I cheered for UT to beat SUC in the MNC...and was pulling for them to beat Organ, too...because I loathe PAC10. I would even think that there are many B12 (and non-B12) fans secretly hoping that OUr boyz pull off a win tomorrow night.

Once 2014 season kicks off, I'll pour another Woodford...slide into my comfy couch and go back to hating the Whorns, SheepHumpers, Bears, Raiders, Cats, JHawks, 'Clones, Whorned Toads, and that goofy MF in the coonskin cap.

Go Big 12...and BOOMER!

BigTip
12/31/2013, 11:09 AM

I still shake my head about this.

And we can't even rationalize that "at least it saved Mac's job for another year."

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2013, 11:32 AM

Case McCoy actually played pretty well in that game. But he had nothing to do with how meek OUr offense was most the season.

12/31/2013, 02:37 PM
You care that much about what OSU is doing? Sounds aggyish.Not trying to pick pissin' contest here, with fellow Sooner fans., you know?! Just commenting that most of the orange aggy fans dislike OU, and don't wish us well.

12/31/2013, 02:40 PM
Case McCoy actually played pretty well in that game. But he had nothing to do with how meek OUr offense was most the season.I've never seen Case McCoy play better than he did in that game. Of course, OU was not ready to play that day, either.

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2013, 04:29 PM
Not trying to pick pissin' contest here, with fellow Sooner fans., you know?! Just commenting that most of the orange aggy fans dislike OU, and don't wish us well.

see that is where it's all about location...lol. Up here in KC everyone associated with mu is so far up the sec's a$$ it's sick. It's like they've been there the WHOLE frickin time...I just laugh and want to tell them they are ADOPTED...so, for me an osu win is a good thing.

cvsooner
12/31/2013, 04:43 PM
If you feel this bad about it, imagine how our players feel :(

He played the game of his life back in October. Also his receivers. Last night, not so much.

EatLeadCommie
12/31/2013, 04:47 PM
Glad to see Taco Tech pull that one off last night. Apart from the Fiesta Bowl, the BXII bowl matchups are really not very favorable at all.

badger
12/31/2013, 04:48 PM
see that is where it's all about location...lol. Up here in KC everyone associated with mu is so far up the sec's a$$ it's sick. It's like they've been there the WHOLE frickin time...I just laugh and want to tell them they are ADOPTED...so, for me an osu win is a good thing.

Just pat em on the head. I'm sure that it feels nice to be wanted and special every so often, something that Mizzou athletics historically isn't. Since OSU is pretty much in the same boat outside of rasslin, I'm sure they will have fun bowling together.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2013, 07:02 PM
I've never seen Case McCoy play better than he did in that game. Of course, OU was not ready to play that day, either.

Fans project that, but I don't buy it. Stoops has *always* had OUr guys ready for UT and I don't believe this year was any different. OUr offense got off to a slow start this season and we had a bad match-up with the horns style of defense. It was almost a carbon copy of the TCU game the week before, except the horns had an adequate offense to go with it. I bet real money on that game that the horns would cover the ridiculous 14 pt spread (I only got 12 1/2pts its, but it was still free money).

Scott D
12/31/2013, 08:38 PM
As good as Malcom Brown is as a back, he's no Johnathan Grey. It was apparent from the time he injured his achilles that the Texas offense was a shadow of what we played against.

bluedogok
12/31/2013, 11:20 PM
How did Peter Gardere win four in a row against OU?

How did John Blake have a coaching win against Texas?

Some things just cannot be explained.....

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2014, 12:14 AM
As good as Malcom Brown is as a back, he's no Johnathan Grey. It was apparent from the time he injured his achilles that the Texas offense was a shadow of what we played against.

They were also missing that big play guy (Johnson?) that had the punt return TD against us. Not McCoy related, but they've lost 2 of their starting LBs since our game. And maybe most important, their only real motivation was to win one for MB. Not a great motivation with a lame duck coach and mostly lame duck coordinators and other staff. Neither team looked inspired or sharp.

bluedogok
1/1/2014, 12:24 AM
I liked the shot of Phil Knight in the coaches box....I don't think even Boone does that during games.

Soonerwake
1/1/2014, 01:55 AM
I liked the shot of Phil Knight in the coaches box....I don't think even Boone does that during games.

No kidding. Anyone who doesn't think that he absolutely OWNS that football team is kidding themselves. Boone does too as has been discussed many times, but Knight doesn't even try to hide it. He might as well make himself the CEO of Football and stand on the sidelines with a headset..

OUmillenium
1/1/2014, 04:18 AM
DITTO! I'm an OU fan, not a Big 12 conference fan. That conference fan BS started with loser SEC schools trying to bandwagon on the strong schools in their conference.

Finally some logic. I might pull for Baylor but thats it.

Boomer Mooner
1/1/2014, 11:47 PM
I'd like to see Baylor win too. Having the Big 12 champs get beat by a team no one's heard of can't be good.

Collier11
1/2/2014, 12:13 AM
If you haven't heard of UCF then you probably don't watch much football, they lost 1 game this year and that was in OT to South Carolina, they beat Penn St, and they beat Louisville.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2014, 12:14 AM
No one should still believe this is like OU drawing Uconn a few years back.

Collier11
1/2/2014, 12:20 AM
Not even close, UCF has a possible 1st rd qb and talent all over the field on offense.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2014, 12:26 AM
Not even close, UCF has a possible 1st rd qb and talent all over the field on offense.

Yep, but many posters including Sic'em were grousing about drawing UCF and comparing it to OUr getting Uconn. I wonder if Sic'em will need a mourning period before appearing here again.

Eielson
1/2/2014, 12:27 AM
No one should still believe this is like OU drawing Uconn a few years back.

It's not as bad as UConn, but it's not as good as WVU, either. Baylor is making them look better than they are. This is the same UCF team that only beat SMU by 4 (5-7 record), USF by 3 (2-10), Temple by 3 (2-10), and Memphis by 7 (3-9).

bluedogok
1/2/2014, 12:39 AM
It's not as bad as UConn, but it's not as good as WVU, either. Baylor is making them look better than they are. This is the same UCF team that only beat SMU by 4 (5-7 record), USF by 3 (2-10), Temple by 3 (2-10), and Memphis by 7 (3-9).
This is the same Baylor team that beat OU by 29 and lost to OSU by 32...comparative scores really doesn't mean much of any thing anymore.

Dallas
1/2/2014, 12:45 AM
Yep, but many posters including Sic'em were grousing about drawing UCF and comparing it to OUr getting Uconn. I wonder if Sic'em will need a mourning period before appearing here again.

That's funny right there.

Go U C F

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2014, 12:50 AM
This is the same Baylor team that beat OU by 29 and lost to OSU by 32...comparative scores really doesn't mean much of any thing anymore.

^This and especially when it comes to bowls. Some coaches are very good at using the extra prep time and others, not so much. There is also a big motivation factor that is different from the regular season, but I don't think that was an issue in this game as making a BCS bowl was a big deal to both teams.

olevetonahill
1/2/2014, 01:07 AM
Only B12 Team I care about is OU

Eielson
1/2/2014, 01:08 AM

There's a huge difference between judging a team by their entire regular season and selectively picking the two weirdest games a team played all year. Also, I'm not using "comparative scores" in an even remotely similar way as you did. If I was, I'd be making the claim that the teams like USF, Temple, and Memphis were better teams than Baylor because they lost by fewer points. That's absurd, and not even close to what I said. If you look at UCF's entire season, they consistently struggled against VERY bad teams. Not the mark of the great team.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2014, 01:14 AM
^This and especially when it comes to bowls. Some coaches are very good at using the extra prep time and others, not so much. There is also a big motivation factor that is different from the regular season, but I don't think that was an issue in this game as making a BCS bowl was a big deal to both teams.

I personally think that not prepping for the officiating is what cost Baylor this game. They kept getting called for the same penalties series after series and they were killers (like PI on 3rd down on an uncatchable ball).

Scott D
1/2/2014, 04:37 PM
I personally think that not prepping for the officiating is what cost Baylor this game. They kept getting called for the same penalties series after series and they were killers (like PI on 3rd down on an uncatchable ball).

All I learned is that SEC refs will call the penalties that Big 12 refs won't.

Baylor's reputation preceded it into the game, and they did a good job of living up to it.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 03:41 AM
It's a shame Baylor dropped the ball against UCF. I think OSU would have finished the deal and had people really questioning the SEC's superiority over the Big XII heading into the playoff system. 4-2 would still be crazy considering how big of underdogs we've been.

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2014, 10:09 AM
I don't GAS about what anyone else says...I'm still hoping the pokes win.

OUmillenium
1/3/2014, 10:12 AM
Go Tigers!!!

BigTip
1/3/2014, 10:15 AM
Go Tigers!!!

Boo!
Totally disagree.
It is good for us for the aggots to win.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 11:37 AM
All I care about is beating OSU and Texas ourselves. If that happens, they can go ahead and win all the other games they want.

Collier11
1/3/2014, 11:43 AM
It is no good for us if texas or osu wins, they are our two biggest rivals. The only thing it does if they win is help the perception of our league and that matters not. We directly recruit against those teams, I don't know when some of you all will get that. Root for them if you want, but them winning doesn't help OU one iota

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2014, 11:56 AM
disagree...but that's okay. For me it's about mu losing...being in kc. Also another sec team down.

BBQ Man
1/3/2014, 11:58 AM
I want the conference to do well, but I don't want OSU to look good to recruits.

Its easier for the SEC, PAC-12 and Big Ten to pull for their conference mates because they don't fight over every recruit like we do. They have some battles, but for the most part, they recruit their own state. Its harder when all of us are fighting over the same Oklahoma and Texas kids.

Eielson
1/3/2014, 12:01 PM
The perception of our league is very useful. That's why we continue losing guys who want to showcase their talents in the SEC. It's going to be even more important when we head into the playoff era. If FSU continues their dominance or the SEC snags two spots, its going to be a huge dogfight between Big X, Big XII, and PAC 12 to get their team in.

winout
1/3/2014, 12:16 PM
I want the conference to do well, but I don't want OSU to look good to recruits.

Its easier for the SEC, PAC-12 and Big Ten to pull for their conference mates because they don't fight over every recruit like we do. They have some battles, but for the most part, they recruit their own state. Its harder when all of us are fighting over the same Oklahoma and Texas kids.

We recruit all over. FL, CA, MO... nationwide. Get the best out of OK, more the best in TX and it won't matter.

I realize you guys that live in the area have to put up with the OSU fans. I have to put up with the Wac-12 ones and I want the conference to do well as it raises the perception that winning the conference is an actual achievement.

UteSooner
1/3/2014, 12:34 PM
If we're stuck in the Big 12 we need its national perception to be good. Those 4 playoff spots will go fast...

So what's the opposite of the poke choke? I'm hoping for that tonight.

winout
1/3/2014, 12:37 PM
Ou will never lose to OSU consistently. Only an outsider coach can bring them a win and an outsider coach won't stay. An insider coach (like Gundy) knows they can't beat us.