PDA

View Full Version : Norton or NO!

olevetonahill
12/22/2013, 09:27 AM
Right now Im just running the free version of AVG, Had Norton installed but when my Hard drive crashed I didnt reinstall it.
Norton is about to expire next month. Should I let it? Or keep using it? What is the best out there? Norton wants 70 bucks to renew for a year.
Thanks I wait fer answers . :excitement:

hawaii 5-0
12/22/2013, 12:38 PM
Currently I use the free version of AVG.

Recommended by my high schooler IT guy.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2013, 12:42 PM
AVG=Good
Norton=The Debil

olevetonahill
12/22/2013, 12:48 PM
AVG=Good
Norton=The Debil

Why is Norton so bad?

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2013, 01:10 PM
Why is Norton so bad?

Actually, I haven't used it in years. They may very well have gotten better. My experience was eating up system resources and slowing down the pewter, not to mention the subscription reminders every 3 minutes. Why pay when AVG is free?

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2013, 01:11 PM
Yermom can probably give you a lot better insight on this. I think he's a pewter nurd.

olevetonahill
12/22/2013, 01:21 PM
Yermom can probably give you a lot better insight on this. I think he's a pewter nurd.

Yea Ima waitingon him to chime in. I think he said awhile back AVG wernt that good anymore er sompun.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2013, 04:16 PM
I use avast on all of my machines vet.. Free and does the trick..

olevetonahill
12/23/2013, 04:29 PM
I use avast on all of my machines vet.. Free and does the trick..

Thanks, I was thinkin Yermom said there was sompun better than AVG now. avg is Pissing me off wanting to Buy the the Upgrade version all the time

Ill find Avast later and install it then take the AVG off.

MsProudSooner
12/26/2013, 11:20 AM
I've heard that you can mess up your PC by having multiple virus protection programs on your PC at the same time. I guess that means you have to delete whatever is on your PC before installing something new.

yermom
12/26/2013, 11:28 AM
yeah, concurrent installs seem to bog things down. they sometimes like to fight too, it seems

Symantec/Norton annoys the crap out of me. never had good experiences after trying again every time i have used it again.

i just use Microsoft's free one nowadays... Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

just FYI if you are still using XP, it's probably about time to upgrade to Windows 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/end-support-help

8 is garbage, haven't tried 8.1 yet, but my expectations are low...

olevetonahill
12/26/2013, 11:31 AM
This one has 7 . so im good there. Think Ill uninstall AVG and go with yer recommend Yermom
Thanks

KantoSooner
12/26/2013, 11:31 AM
I run ESET and it's absolutely awesome. A bit scary, sometimes with it's self learning aspect. And it's way expensive comparatively speaking. But it's for work and I have to have relaible security. Maybe they have personal versions?

yermom
12/26/2013, 11:34 AM
never heard of that one

i've never used Avast, but i have heard only good things

CowboyMRW
12/26/2013, 01:16 PM
Kaspersky is the best antivirus imo.

Breadburner
12/26/2013, 05:11 PM
Do not use the free ones unless you want a **** load of viruses on your comp.....I would go with Norton....Speaking from experience....I heard Kapersky was good too.....

Turd_Ferguson
12/26/2013, 05:29 PM
Do not use the free ones unless you want a **** load of viruses on your comp.....I would go with Norton....Speaking from experience....I heard Kapersky was good too.....

Whaaa? I've used the free AVG for years and have never had a virus.

Breadburner
12/26/2013, 11:01 PM
You lucky....Just wait....!!!

yermom
12/26/2013, 11:03 PM
nothing catches everything, but Norton is worse than most of the viruses i've had to clean over the years (usually on other people's computers for both situations)

Sooner in Tampa
12/27/2013, 10:20 AM
yermom is right...nothing catches everything.

I run the free version of AVG and for the most part I have been very happy.

I have Malwarbytes installed and I run that from time to time just to make sure everything is AOK...I just forget to update the damn thing from time to time

I also have GLary Utilities for periodic sweeps.

I have been pretty damn happy with this setup

dwarthog
12/27/2013, 05:54 PM
My wife's pc is running Symantecs/Norton Internet Security and it just caught and held off a couple of viruses from a phishing scam email she opened, mslove, (whoever created this one actually named it Msloev) and suspicious.cloud.7.EP, until I could get them cleaned off using some norton tools.

That being said any of the virus/internet security programs are only going to be effective if you keep the virus definition files updated and even then something may get past it.

Use linux. Microsoft products are massive security leaks waiting to be exploited IMO.

olevetonahill
12/29/2013, 04:37 AM
Im just sick and tired of everything always trying to get me to spend money on a NEW and Improved version .
AVG just piszed me Off so I uninstalled it. Said I needed to run the Program so I did. Then it said I needed to Buy the Upgrade to let it Fix the Probs . Screw it. I uninstalled ALL AVG crap

yermom
12/29/2013, 05:04 AM
vet that is exactly why i stopped suggesting AVG to people

soonerboomer93
1/4/2014, 10:28 AM
Avast is an annoying pos software.

Microsoft Secruity Essentials is the best free one.

If you want to pay, go with Kaspersky.

soonerboomer93
1/4/2014, 10:32 AM
My wife's pc is running Symantecs/Norton Internet Security and it just caught and held off a couple of viruses from a phishing scam email she opened, mslove, (whoever created this one actually named it Msloev) and suspicious.cloud.7.EP, until I could get them cleaned off using some norton tools.

That being said any of the virus/internet security programs are only going to be effective if you keep the virus definition files updated and even then something may get past it.

Use linux. Microsoft products are massive security leaks waiting to be exploited IMO.

Malware goes after windows because it's the most used os, not because it's less secure then something like Linux. People unwilling to give up XP, upgrade browsers, those who click and don't read etc, are the issue. No computer protects from stupid.

Breadburner
1/4/2014, 10:49 AM
Kapersky or Norton...

dwarthog
1/4/2014, 11:21 AM
Malware goes after windows because it's the most used os, not because it's less secure then something like Linux. People unwilling to give up XP, upgrade browsers, those who click and don't read etc, are the issue. No computer protects from stupid.

I agree that windows presents a very large target due to the number of users, but it is also far easier to penetrate, in most cases.

Windows is making some adjustments by implementing user levels, root vs common users which is built into linux from the start, which makes it far harder for malware to access and make changes to key low level components. Throw in selinux for another layer of protection and you can harden Linux up nicely.

Biggest problem is as you pointed out, the end users. Folks want simple and that is what Microsoft gives them. The cost is it's easy to exploit.