PDA

View Full Version : I get the feeling that Texas has no idea who they really want at HC.

8timechamps
12/21/2013, 11:43 PM
I'm not really a fan, but Tim Cowlishaw summed up my thinking pretty well in this article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20131218-cowlishaw-hey-longhorns-aim-lower-in-your-coaching-search.ece). He basically said that Texas' interest in current (successful) NFL coaches is a waste of time. No proven NFL coach is going to leave for a chance to be the next head coach at Texas. I can't help but think the coaching search is already a 3 ring circus, and that it's heading downhill quick. For all the time spent (by Texas fans/alumni) wanting Brown gone (and pretty much realizing that it was going to happen), it just seems like they really aren't off to a very good start. I think they should be targeting the Charlie Strong's of the world, but something tells me their list is full of the John Harbaugh's of the NFL.

We'll see, but I don't see Texas making a home run hire this time around. History tell's us that the next guy is probably going to be a short term, mediocre coach.

olevetonahill
12/21/2013, 11:46 PM
I think your right Bro. There's too many Chiefs in that tribe and Not enough Indians .

bluedogok
12/22/2013, 12:26 AM
"Search committees" tend to be bastions of mediocrity, you are much better off tasking one person with the search and have something more like an approval committee of one or two.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/22/2013, 01:11 AM
There's too many Chiefs in that tribe and Not enough Indians .racism, bedowngrading, are you saying their women can't be significant, you're not even tribe-specific. Are you picking on ALL minorities?

yermom
12/22/2013, 01:40 AM
I'm not really a fan, but Tim Cowlishaw summed up my thinking pretty well in this article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20131218-cowlishaw-hey-longhorns-aim-lower-in-your-coaching-search.ece). He basically said that Texas' interest in current (successful) NFL coaches is a waste of time. No proven NFL coach is going to leave for a chance to be the next head coach at Texas. I can't help but think the coaching search is already a 3 ring circus, and that it's heading downhill quick. For all the time spent (by Texas fans/alumni) wanting Brown gone (and pretty much realizing that it was going to happen), it just seems like they really aren't off to a very good start. I think they should be targeting the Charlie Strong's of the world, but something tells me their list is full of the John Harbaugh's of the NFL.

We'll see, but I don't see Texas making a home run hire this time around. History tell's us that the next guy is probably going to be a short term, mediocre coach.

i've been saying this all along. getting rid of Mack was a very risky move, and i don't understand OU fans wanting him to stay there.

is Muschamp still available?

Flagstaffsooner
12/22/2013, 01:56 AM
I hear Fred Akers is looking for work.

olevetonahill
12/22/2013, 09:14 AM
racism, bedowngrading, are you saying their women can't be significant, you're not even tribe-specific. Are you picking on ALL minorities?

Heh, Just the kinda sombitch I am .

stoopified
12/22/2013, 10:32 AM
UT needs to return to their craDLE OF GREATEST CLORY AND HIRE A COACH WITH ou ROOTS.i'M SURE gIBBS OR bLAKE COULD DO GREAT THINGS SORRY,TOO TIRED TO EDIT.

fadada1
12/22/2013, 12:47 PM
Texas needs to get over the fact that there are other programs that have money, facilities, recruiting bases, tradition, etc... Horn fans will tell you they're the only school that has it all, and they'll get upset if you tell them otherwise. And, they're offended that anyone wouldn't want to take the job. - see Nick Saban.

They don't have to settle, but they need to be realistic.

EatLeadCommie
12/22/2013, 02:30 PM
Texas thinks its coaching spot is the best in the country, and nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, recruiting is easier in Texas than it is in other places, but you still have to recruit or else Sumlin or Stoops is gonna take your guy away from you. Mack, for all his faults as a gameday coach, is an excellent recruiter. In any case, recruiting is half the battle. You also have to be able to coach and schmooze all the boosters. Plus, at Texas, you now have the obligations that come with the LHN. I can't see a lot of people wanting to do that.

Money can buy you a lot of things, and in the end it will probably buy them a serviceable coach, but they are the most deluded fanbase in the country. They're like Jerry Jones times 1000.

8timechamps
12/22/2013, 04:34 PM
i've been saying this all along. getting rid of Mack was a very risky move, and i don't understand OU fans wanting him to stay there.

is Muschamp still available?

Yep. A couple of months ago, there was a thread on here on this exact thing. I went back and looked at some programs that were once good, then fired their HC after one or two below average years. In almost every case (maybe EVERY case), the programs went through a string of mediocre to bad coaches before finally finding a good one.

The problem is, it appears the search committee is hell bent on trying to get a big name guy, and I just don't think that's going to happen (at least not a successful NFL coach).

yermom
12/22/2013, 04:37 PM
it's likely going to be publicly embarrassing as people turn them down. hopefully there is a George O'Leary/Mike Price story involved somewhere in the process to make it even more interesting.

picasso
12/22/2013, 04:38 PM
Peter Caroll.

12/22/2013, 08:33 PM
Peter Caroll.He would get them a National Championship, and discharged from the NCAA at the same time.

ashley
12/22/2013, 08:35 PM
When you fire someone that has won as many games a Mack Brown you better have a damn good one committed beforehand. If they are searching, they may be in trouble.

birddog
12/22/2013, 08:51 PM
Lance Armstrong's sack.

Harris County Sooner
12/22/2013, 08:54 PM
They could wind up with the next Blake or Smellsofbourbon. I like the possibilities.

12/23/2013, 01:56 AM
They could wind up with the next Blake or Smellsofbourbon. I like the possibilities.Radio has been their most successful player in recent years. he should defiinitely be hired as next Head Coach.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2013, 03:00 AM
they should go after some young genius turk assistant head coach who has a burning desire to be a head coach. Hope they don't.

Collier11
12/23/2013, 03:09 AM
texas is a great great job...having said that, it is not near the job that many think it is

Flagstaffsooner
12/23/2013, 06:49 AM
They are inerviewing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjRUKCKIG4

Bourbon St Sooner
12/23/2013, 01:15 PM
Todd Graham as the next texass coach - book it.

As soon as they're done pissing off the legitimate good candidates that would take the job, holding out for the Jim Harbaughs of the world to decline for the 100th time, they'll have to go to a whore like TG to take the job.

birddog
12/23/2013, 01:28 PM

As soon as they're done pissing off the legitimate good candidates that would take the job, holding out for the Jim Harbaughs of the world to decline for the 100th time, they'll have to go to a whore like TG to take the job.

I would love to see Graham there. Mack has been an easy target, right down to the teeth, Graham is a guy that gets under opposing coaches skin. I'd personally like to see Brett bielema

EatLeadCommie
12/23/2013, 03:43 PM

I think Patterson is forbidden by contract from hiring away any ASU coaches. That having been said, Graham would be a good hire.

bluedogok
12/24/2013, 06:09 PM
they should go after some young genius turk assistant head coach who has a burning desire to be a head coach. Hope they don't.
They never will "stoop that low" as to hire an assistant....after all....they're Texas.

Darrell Royal was HC of the Edmonton Eskimos for a year, Mississippi State for two seasons and Washington for one season before Texas came calling, the coach before him (Ed Price) was the last assistant coach who was hired (elevated to HC). Fred Akers was an assistant to Royal and was HC at Wyoming for two seasons. David McWilliams was a former player and assistant under Royal and Akers, he went to Tech for a season before Texas hired him. Mackovic had been around forever.

beached_sooner
12/26/2013, 02:44 PM
What about Applewhite? Considered too young?

Jacie
12/26/2013, 03:30 PM
I doubt the Major will survive for very long into the next regime, not even to the spring game. Whorn fans blame much of their anemic offense on his play calling.

freshchris05
12/26/2013, 06:27 PM
Vince Young and Colt McCoy to tag team HC. BOOK IT! Also bringing in Case to head film study. He likes to watch.

12/26/2013, 07:15 PM
Vince Young and Colt McCoy to tag team HC. BOOK IT! Also bringing in Case to head film study. He likes to watch.Can Case be HC while still on the roster? If so, it would be a good move, and open up a new scholly for the cows.

papawlambert
12/26/2013, 08:08 PM
Don't forget that Saban hasn't signed his contract yet with Alabama. I really believe if they were smart they would sign Chad Morris. Their ego won't allow that.

bluedogok
12/26/2013, 09:24 PM
Can Case be HC while still on the roster? If so, it would be a good move, and open up a new scholly for the cows.
Case is a senior, the bowl game will be his last.

Don't forget that Saban hasn't signed his contract yet with Alabama. I really believe if they were smart they would sign Chad Morris. Their ego won't allow that.
I agree about Morris.

yermom
12/26/2013, 10:47 PM
he couldn't even beat out Kingsbury at Tech...

that would leave Vulnerables poised to take over though

12/27/2013, 01:41 AM
Case is a senior, the bowl game will be his last.
well then, he will need something to do next yr., and HC at whorns would be APROPO.

PrideMom
12/27/2013, 10:40 AM
I am surprised that none of the OU offensive coordinators that beat them by 40 points or more have not been mentioned. Texas could go after any one of them and be better than what they had in the last 15 years! Texas' defense is okay, it has always been the lack of imaginative offense. Texas was always the big bully in the Southwest conference.

picasso
12/27/2013, 11:25 AM
My bro in law played at ASU in the 70's and said a lot of folks there weren't happy with the Todd Graham hire.

Herr Scholz
12/27/2013, 12:18 PM
Texas needs to get over the fact that there are other programs that have money, facilities, recruiting bases, tradition, etc... Horn fans will tell you they're the only school that has it all, and they'll get upset if you tell them otherwise. And, they're offended that anyone wouldn't want to take the job. - see Nick Saban.

They don't have to settle, but they need to be realistic.
I know a lot of Longhorn fans and not a single one of them remotely thinks like this. There are plenty of destination jobs. But don't fool yourself, UT is one of them.

As far as this coaching search "getting off to a slow start", that's simply not true. A) You have to hire the new AD first since you don't want to saddle the new guy with choices the old guy made and B) All of the choices they're looking at are still coaching their current teams. Mid January has always been the feasible timeline for this. And how do we know that Patterson doesn't already have someone unofficially ready to go?

yermom
12/27/2013, 12:25 PM
isn't this a heavy recruiting time?

it sure seems later than what i normally see, unless they have someone in the works that isn't a current head coach

they would be boning their current school pretty hard if they get a bunch of commits and then leave before signing day

Herr Scholz
12/27/2013, 12:32 PM
It's actually a quiet period between Christmas and New Years.

UT has already said that current commits and offers will be honored.

KantoSooner
12/27/2013, 12:54 PM
I'm telling you, there are only two names that make even the remotest sense in connection with the Longhorn program:

Bobby Petrino

and

Rich Rodriguez

The only two men who completely personify what Texas football is all about.

Book it.

12/27/2013, 01:27 PM
Then, I choose Rodriguez for Texas.

Jacie
12/27/2013, 09:03 PM
It's actually a quiet period between Christmas and New Years.

Might be the quiet time for hiring college coaches but not for losing them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report-penn-state-coach-bill-o-brien-interview-013655919--ncaaf.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/umass-fires-coach-charley-molnar-two-seasons-162735456--ncaaf.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-prepares-interim-coordinators-013526210--ncaaf.html

BajaOklahoma
12/27/2013, 09:47 PM
I'm really worried that several of the shaggy bevo folks are figuring out that having BMD run the athletic dept isn't a good idea.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/31/2013, 12:08 PM
Jimbo Fisher is out.....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10221184/jimbo-fisher-signs-five-year-deal-florida-state-seminoles

Jacie
12/31/2013, 12:38 PM
I laugh everytime Fisher's name is tossed around as the whorn's next coach. Why would he leave now? Yet another example of their delusions.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/31/2013, 02:01 PM
everyone down here in Austin is all about Briles...they think he's a dick, but they want him as their coach.

BajaOklahoma
12/31/2013, 02:23 PM
There are a number of coaches who are going to thank texas when they get their new paycheck.

badger
12/31/2013, 03:03 PM
Jimbo wouldn't have been a good fit for Texas anyway, as he's not that accessible. Before ASU stank it up, it sounded like it would be a good next-stop for Todd Graham, as he's someone who likes to leave his current job for more money and usually wins wherever he lands. Now that they got embarrassed by Tech, does Texas still want to wave cash his way?

12/31/2013, 03:27 PM
Now that ASU got embarrassed by Tech, does Texas still want to wave cash his(Todd Graham) way?His candidacy for the cows' job just plummeted off the chart.

8timechamps
12/31/2013, 03:50 PM
I know a lot of Longhorn fans and not a single one of them remotely thinks like this. There are plenty of destination jobs. But don't fool yourself, UT is one of them.

As far as this coaching search "getting off to a slow start", that's simply not true. A) You have to hire the new AD first since you don't want to saddle the new guy with choices the old guy made and B) All of the choices they're looking at are still coaching their current teams. Mid January has always been the feasible timeline for this. And how do we know that Patterson doesn't already have someone unofficially ready to go?

You could be right, and Patterson could already have his guy ready to go. It just doesn't appear that way. As big a job as this is, you'd think that a name or two would already be floating around by now. So far, it's all been wild speculation. I'm not saying an NFL head coach wouldn't take the Texas job, but I am saying a successful NFL head coach wouldn't take the job. Like you said though, they could already know who the next guy is, and are just being tight lipped.

What is strange though, is that now would be the time to start floating the names. Recruiting is about to heat back up before it's over, and there are a lot of recruits that are 'not sure', and floating a name would/could help that (it's happened historically). So far, nothing. The majority of the NFL season's are over, and with the current (and growing) list of NFL openings, Texas will be in contention with those teams for head coaches.

Again, you could be right, and Texas may know exactly who they want, and are in negotiations with that person. It just doesn't appear that way on the outside. And lets face it, this is a pretty transparent industry we're talking about. When was the last time a big name coach was hired, and nobody saw it coming? I can't think of one.

soonergirlNeugene
12/31/2013, 06:57 PM
I laugh everytime Fisher's name is tossed around as the whorn's next coach. Why would he leave now? Yet another example of their delusions.

A better example is the fact that they still think Jimbo, Saban, and anyone else who has signed a recent contract extension is still on the board of possibilities. The bigger the wallet, the bigger the delusions.

Mazeppa
12/31/2013, 08:40 PM
Another coach brown deserves better story. What does Case McCoy mean by " he took care of my parents?" at the bottom of the story.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/texas-longhorns-coach-mack-brown-deserved-better-than-forgettable-alamo-bowl-123013

birddog
12/31/2013, 09:02 PM
That was a great read, no matter what colt said.

8timechamps
12/31/2013, 09:37 PM
I just read that the AD/Search Committee want to have a coach hired by January 15. So, in two weeks, Vince Lombardi will be back from the grave coaching in Austin!!1!1!!one!

oupride
1/1/2014, 01:38 PM

Do you think it could be Art Briles?

Collier11
1/1/2014, 02:53 PM
Im still saying Franklin from Vandy....Shaw, Saban, and Fisher are out. Havent heard much from the Gruden camp lately though

cherokeebrewer
1/1/2014, 02:59 PM
Im still saying Franklin from Vandy....Shaw, Saban, and Fisher are out. Havent heard much from the Gruden camp lately though

You could be right about Franklin, but I doubt it. Gruden would not surprise me...

NorthernIowaSooner
1/1/2014, 04:41 PM
I think Strong would be a good possibility. Bridgewater is leaving so might be a good time to start anew.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2014, 04:46 PM
You could be right about Franklin, but I doubt it. Gruden would not surprise me...

Gruden would shock and delight me.

cherokeebrewer
1/1/2014, 04:53 PM
Gruden would shock and delight me.

It would delight me too. The only reason it would not surprise me is the arrogance in Austin. They have to have a 'name' coach, even if it's one who has been out of coaching for years...

landrun
1/1/2014, 10:24 PM
Weird.. I was visiting the Bama boards to read up on their thoughts about tomorrow's game.

They posted tonight that they've heard Briles is the next guy. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=14&f=1016&t=12533245

I hope not!

soonergirlNeugene
1/1/2014, 10:49 PM
Does Briles stay in contention if Baylor gets shredded in the second half?

sendbaht
1/1/2014, 10:55 PM
sad for them is it will take 3 plus year to get back if they pick the perfect couch. But, they will pick a flub and be worse off then they are now...it's just tx way from now on..

Piware
1/1/2014, 11:47 PM
Lane Kiffin is still available, isn't he. His prick ego would match the Whorns nicely and he would have them in trouble in no time. My vote goes to Kiffin.