PDA

View Full Version : Remember Baker Mayfield???

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah, he is (possibly) enrolling at OU this Spring. What do you guys think about that?
http://newsok.com/article/3916002

I like the competition it brings to the table but I don't see him stepping on the field unless injuries occur. He i do believe he is a better passer than Bell.

ouwasp
12/19/2013, 12:07 PM
That's interesting. Figured he'd choose a place without so many qbs. Will there be a Big XII penalty of a yr for transferring within conference? Good luck to him. Maybe he just wants to go to a place that will beat Tech....but Tulsa needs a qb.

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2013, 12:25 PM
That's interesting. Figured he'd choose a place without so many qbs. Will there be a Big XII penalty of a yr for transferring within conference? Good luck to him. Maybe he just wants to go to a place that will beat Tech....but Tulsa needs a qb.

Yes, there will be a one year suspension but he is appealing it since he will be a "walk-on".

Phil
12/19/2013, 12:39 PM
Not sure of his logic there, but he can sling the ball around.

Curly Bill
12/19/2013, 12:43 PM
Can't hurt. I'm not sure the answer at QB is currently on the roster???

edit...Not that I'm certain he'd be the answer either.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2013, 12:47 PM
There are 2 problems here:

1. Financial Aid -> Since he was a walkon he isn't bound by the LOI rules. This means that OU doesn't have to wait for him to be released from an LOI before they could offer him a scholly. It also ducks around the inter-conference transfer rules since those only apply to scholarship players.
2. NCAA Transfer rules -> He'll have to sit out a year unless his protest works.

olevetonahill
12/19/2013, 01:00 PM
And we would want someone who walked Off from his current school just before their Bowl? WHY?

Curly Bill
12/19/2013, 01:01 PM
And we would want someone who walked Off from his current school just before their Bowl? WHY?

Because we don't currently have someone who has proven they can adequately play QB at the level we need them to.

badger
12/19/2013, 01:16 PM
There's something wrong with a program not making the starting quarterback a scholarship athlete. Remember all the flak we had for not giving Walkon Whaley a scholarship after a few early awesome performances for us?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2013, 01:44 PM
Will never see the field.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2013, 01:52 PM
Will never see the field.

Depends on whether we continue with a running QB or if we go back to a drop back passer again. If we continue with the zone read we are liable to go through 3-4 QBs a year.

stoopified
12/19/2013, 02:46 PM
Depends on whether we continue with a running QB or if we go back to a drop back passer again. If we continue with the zone read we are liable to go through 3-4 QBs a year.With all our underclassmen qbs being run/pass guys(Knight,Thompson,Thomas,Hansen),I think the course is set for the next few years.If this kid transfers to OU,we are going to have SIX Qbs on campus(assuming Bell does not transfer) this spring. Hansen is an early enrolment guy,isn't he? Not sure I understand the Mayfield decision/rumor atl all.

SoonerKnight
12/19/2013, 02:54 PM

Read between the lines. He was a true Frosh walk-on he kicked the scholly players butt and the coach promised a scholly and then renegged. He left why wouldn't he. He is a good player and can scramble. I say if he can run and pass let try it.

Curly Bill
12/19/2013, 02:55 PM
With all our underclassmen qbs being run/pass guys(Knight,Thompson,Thomas,Hansen),I think the course is set for the next few years.If this kid transfers to OU,we are going to have SIX Qbs on campus(assuming Bell does not transfer) this spring. Hansen is an early enrolment guy,isn't he? Not sure I understand the Mayfield decision/rumor atl all.

From the QB's of OU's he's seen play I'm assuming he thinks he can beat them for the position. If he considers himself a better than average QB that's probably a correct assumption.

What I'm hoping for is that one of the QBs we haven't seen play yet is the real deal.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2013, 02:57 PM
The more I read, the less I think this even happens.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2013, 02:58 PM
From the QB's of OU's he's seen play I'm assuming he thinks he can beat them for the position. If he considers himself a better than average QB that's probably a correct assumption.

What I'm hoping for is that one of the QBs we haven't seen play yet is the real deal.

I would be willing to guess he hasn't seen any of our QBs play except when OU played TT..

Curly Bill
12/19/2013, 02:58 PM
The more I read, the less I think this even happens.

Party pooper

SoonerKnight
12/19/2013, 02:59 PM
With all our underclassmen qbs being run/pass guys(Knight,Thompson,Thomas,Hansen),I think the course is set for the next few years.If this kid transfers to OU,we are going to have SIX Qbs on campus(assuming Bell does not transfer) this spring. Hansen is an early enrolment guy,isn't he? Not sure I understand the Mayfield decision/rumor atl all.

He is a walk-on no matter where he goes. He looked good in his games that he played. He was a stand out QB but size may have been the issue with him getting scholly offers like he wanted. His dream was TCU. I agree we have a lot of potential at QB but he could be a Sam Bradford type and blow the comp away!

8timechamps
12/19/2013, 03:00 PM
FWIW, the coaching staff (at OU) have not communicated with Mayfield in any way. So, for right now, it's just a rumor.

Then there's the whole NCAA transfer issue, and I really doubt KK would release him to play in the conference.

badger
12/19/2013, 03:22 PM
Here's more info on walk-ons who want to transfer. (http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101/)

It's a link to the NCAA site. And oh my goodness there are soooo many details and exceptions that it'll make your head spin.

In short, YES they need permission to talk about transferring, YES they do need permission to transfer for immediate eligibility, YES they can do it anyway, but they need to wait a year to be eligible to compete without permission (what this kid is likely looking at if he transfers within the Big 12)

I am still curious why a starting quarterback doesn't warrant a scholarship. Bad attitude? Scholarship numbers difficult?

8timechamps
12/19/2013, 03:35 PM
Here's more info on walk-ons who want to transfer. (http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101/)

It's a link to the NCAA site. And oh my goodness there are soooo many details and exceptions that it'll make your head spin.

In short, YES they need permission to talk about transferring, YES they do need permission to transfer for immediate eligibility, YES they can do it anyway, but they need to wait a year to be eligible to compete without permission (what this kid is likely looking at if he transfers within the Big 12)

I am still curious why a starting quarterback doesn't warrant a scholarship. Bad attitude? Scholarship numbers difficult?

This is one of those areas that the NCAA needs to do some serious overhauling. If a kid is paying his way, then he shouldn't have to be held to the same restrictions as a scholarship kid, it doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I think there's a lot more to the Mayfield/KK relationship than we know. It just seems really strange that the guy is good enough to be the starter, yet not good enough for a scholarship. Even if the Red Raiders were tight on their scholarships, if they wanted him there, they could make room.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2013, 03:51 PM
From what I am reading, BM was told there were no schollys available for him but at the end of the season when some seniors bounced, he would get one.. He said he is leaving because of "miscommunication" between him and the coaches..I would probably say they either changed their mind on the scholly or he had thought he was going to be the starter and they changed their minds.

They also have another qb transferring out.

cherokeebrewer
12/19/2013, 05:10 PM
The dude's got some moxey but I don't see it happening.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/19/2013, 06:26 PM
Nothing to lose for OU. Redshirt him during his transfer year and he can learn the system. If he's a bust or at most a 3rd stringer they never have to offer him a scholly. If he tears it up...good for us.

landrun
12/19/2013, 06:27 PM
I can't find this guys profile on scout or rivals. What year did he commit? Anyone have a link?

BigJerm7
12/19/2013, 07:05 PM
Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the year.

landrun
12/19/2013, 08:13 PM
Here's his scout info: http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5642068

I couldn't find him because it never shows him committing to Tech.

SoonerofAlabama
12/19/2013, 09:21 PM
Stoops basically said today that he's not interested in Mayfield.

8timechamps
12/19/2013, 09:25 PM
Stoops basically said today that he's not interested in Mayfield.

Where'd you find that info?

I only ask because the media has been cut off recently, and the only thing I had heard was that the Sooner coaches had not contacted/nor been contacted by Mayfield.

SoonerofAlabama
12/19/2013, 09:59 PM
Where'd you find that info?

I only ask because the media has been cut off recently, and the only thing I had heard was that the Sooner coaches had not contacted/nor been contacted by Mayfield.

Well on sports animal, Stoops said that OU was happy with their QB situation an wasn't pursuing any transfers. Made it sound like he wasn't interested in Mayfield.

BigJerm7
12/19/2013, 10:27 PM
Taking a walk-on isn't exactly pursuing a transfer.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10169041/baker-mayfield-intends-walk-oklahoma-sooners

Curly Bill
12/20/2013, 12:02 AM
Well on sports animal, Stoops said that OU was happy with their QB situation an wasn't pursuing any transfers. Made it sound like he wasn't interested in Mayfield.

What the hell is he supposed to say: Our quarterbacks suck, and we're hard after Baker Mayfield? Stoops' statement was in fact a non-statement.

picasso
12/20/2013, 12:46 AM
Lake Travis aint no barrio.

soonergirlNeugene
12/20/2013, 01:27 AM
I don't see Tech giving him a release to another B12 school.

ashley
12/20/2013, 11:15 AM
FWIW, the coaching staff (at OU) have not communicated with Mayfield in any way. So, for right now, it's just a rumor.

Then there's the whole NCAA transfer issue, and I really doubt KK would release him to play in the conference.
Very true. The only thing the OU coaches know about this is what they have read in the newspaper.

EatLeadCommie
12/20/2013, 01:09 PM

I don't think Stoops can comment on the situation, so I wouldn't interpret that as a lack of interest.

EatLeadCommie
12/20/2013, 01:12 PM
I don't see Tech giving him a release to another B12 school.

What kind of control do they have since he isn't on scholarship? There is no LOI to release him from.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2013, 01:14 PM
What kind of control do they have since he isn't on scholarship? There is no LOI to release him from.

The control is "play immediately" or "wait a year"

dennis580
12/20/2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, he is (possibly) enrolling at OU this Spring. What do you guys think about that?
http://newsok.com/article/3916002

I like the competition it brings to the table but I don't see him stepping on the field unless injuries occur. He i do believe he is a better passer than Bell.

Awesome if true. I hope he is eligible to compete for starting job next season instead of having to sit out.

dennis580
12/20/2013, 01:35 PM

Thats just what Stoops is saying publicly I guarantee Stoops would absolutely LOVE to have Mayfield. He just isnt going to say it publicly until Mayfield enrolls.

EatLeadCommie
12/20/2013, 01:49 PM
It would appear that if he was never recruited by TT that he is eligible for a one-time exception under NCAA rules and would be eligible to play immediately. BXII rules state the following:

Intraconference Transfers.
The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly or indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined by NCAA regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA regulations require the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one season of competition in that sport. The waiver of a NCAA transfer regulation for a student-athlete does not negate the need for a waiver of this section.

I read the first bolded sentence to mean that if he can't get the one-time exception from the NCAA, then he also forfeits a season of eligibility. The last bolded sentence is very confusing to me. It seems to be saying that even if he does get the exception from the NCAA that it doesn't matter???? Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/9/2014, 12:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/78697/qa-former-texas-tech-qb-baker-mayfield

On why he chose OU over TCU:

And I wasn’t going to give TCU another chance after they basically screwed my whole recruiting over from the start [TCU recruited Mayfield but never offered a scholarship].

Seems kind of entitled. OU football basically has nothing to do with him at this point but he is still enrolling if his appeal is granted.

SoonerMarkVA
1/9/2014, 02:26 PM
If he wants to come to OU, I like him already. Love it when people love OU. Whatever happens on the football field is between him and Stoops. I would guess Stoops would be willing to let him walk on, assuming it doesn't negatively affect anything else.

Eielson
1/9/2014, 02:28 PM
Great news! We really needed a 5th string QB.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 02:31 PM
I was initially intrigued by this possibility, but with the way Trevor played in the Sugar Bowl, now not so much!

EatLeadCommie
1/9/2014, 02:34 PM
Trevor got dinged up twice this season too. There are RUMORS that BB may move on somewhere else for his last season. If that is the case, Mayfield could be a very serviceable backup, assuming he wins his case.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 02:35 PM
Surely one of the young guys can be a backup? If not we shouldn't have recruited them.

stoopified
1/9/2014, 03:52 PM
Great news! We really needed a 5th string QB.

Don't you mean 6th string?Knight Bell Thompson Thomas Hansen Mayfield

Eielson
1/9/2014, 04:07 PM
Don't you mean 6th string?Knight Bell Thompson Thomas Hansen Mayfield

Forgot about KT. I just can't see what Mayfield was thinking. Even if Bell and KT transferred, Knight got hurt, and we refused to take Hansen out of redshirt, he still probably wouldn't see the field.

dennis580
1/9/2014, 04:17 PM
Before the Sugar Bowl I desperately wanted Mayfield. In fact I thought he was going to be our starting QB next year if he was eligible. Of course that was all before the Sugar Bowl. The QB position is no longer open. There will be no QB competition next year. Mayfield says he is not afraid of competition, but the job is simply no longer open.

If he can accept the fact that he is going to be the backup as long as Knight is at Oklahoma then he should come, but if he is expecting to get a shot to beat Knight out then he shouldn't come.

KantoSooner
1/9/2014, 04:21 PM
Frankly if he was going to walk on somewhere, he'd be much better advised to do so at OSU.

Curly Bill
1/9/2014, 04:28 PM
Texas needs a QB!

KantoSooner
1/9/2014, 05:41 PM
Hell, for that matter, so do Kansas and Nebraska.

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 06:31 PM
Well, Mayfield is coming to OU regardless. The kid can play, so why not give him a spot (he's going to be a walk-on anyway). If nothing else, it will provide some quality scout team offense.

dennis580
1/9/2014, 07:24 PM
Well, Mayfield is coming to OU regardless. The kid can play, so why not give him a spot (he's going to be a walk-on anyway). If nothing else, it will provide some quality scout team offense.

If he is eligible next season I believe he will win the backup spot. Think he beats out Bell, and Thompson.

Eielson
1/9/2014, 08:07 PM
I'm fine with him coming here. I just don't know why he would bother.

SoonerMarkVA
1/9/2014, 08:52 PM
I'm fine with him coming here. I just don't know why he would bother.

He mentioned that he grew up an OU fan. I say welcome to him. Obviously he has better options if his goal is to play, but if he really loves OU still, there's only one place to go. I have to think he knows what he's getting into.

sooneron
1/9/2014, 09:56 PM
He wants to be a Sooner, fine then!

8timechamps
1/9/2014, 11:07 PM
What I find strange is that he wasn't offered a scholarship and he wasn't being told whether he was even playing the week of games. The kid won when he was in, which is why I'm just at a loss as to why he would be treated like that. Then, in his interview, he said that Kingbury was "shocked" that he wanted to leave. Really?

ouflak
1/10/2014, 03:40 AM
Obviously there's more to it than we know. I hope he comes and it works out for him. I'm glad Knight had such a spectacular game against Bama. I'm glad Bell came through for us against OSU. But both these guys had injuries that took them out of multiple games. Kendall Thompson was able to step up, and that's great too. However with that kind of attrition, it helps to have a stable of quarterbacks. If he is allowed to contribute immediately, I think he will. Everybody just needs to make sure that everybody else around them is on the same page as to what the expectations are. And let's keep in mind that Stoops is rather firm and consistent in his stance that every position is open to competition at all times. Even the quarterback position.

oupride
1/10/2014, 07:13 AM
Texas needs a QB!

lol

stoopified
1/10/2014, 07:32 AM
He mentioned that he grew up an OU fan. I say welcome to him. Obviously he has better options if his goal is to play, but if he really loves OU still, there's only one place to go. I have to think he knows what he's getting into.One thing I heard(I think on KREF) was that The Mayfiled family is long time close personal friends with Bobby Jack Wright. Personal ties aside,this makes no sense for Baker. There are many non Big 12 teams needing qbs where he would have a chance to compete for starting qb.

ashley
1/10/2014, 01:39 PM
One thing I heard(I think on KREF) was that The Mayfiled family is long time close personal friends with Bobby Jack Wright. Personal ties aside,this makes no sense for Baker. There are many non Big 12 teams needing qbs where he would have a chance to compete for starting qb.

He can't go to a Big 12 school. Our coaches know that and so does everyone else.

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2014, 01:53 PM
He can't go to a Big 12 school. Our coaches know that and so does everyone else.

Isn't he appealing that? He walk-on, no LOI (i think) etc. Hell, he was never even recruited by Tech.

ashley
1/10/2014, 01:58 PM
Isn't he appealing that? He walk-on, no LOI (i think) etc. Hell, he was never even recruited by Tech.

Scholarship or not, he played for Tech. I don't see that appeal doing any good.

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2014, 05:04 PM
Scholarship or not, he played for Tech. I don't see that appeal doing any good.

see the top of page 3 where I quote the BXII rulebook. I am confused by it, but it seems to say that even if the NCAA grants his waiver, he still needs a waiver of BXII rules in order to avoid sitting out a year due to transferring within conference. It seems to me that he's eligible for the NCAA waiver. I don't know what requirements there are for a conference waiver.

cvsooner
1/10/2014, 05:47 PM
Mayfield's appeal has been denied by Tech, so if he stays at OU he has to sit out a year AND loses a season of eligibility. Chance of playing seems remote to me, but...

http://newsok.com/baker-mayfields-appeal-denied-by-texas-tech/article/3922688

NorthernIowaSooner
1/10/2014, 06:29 PM
Mayfield's appeal has been denied by Tech, so if he stays at OU he has to sit out a year AND loses a season of eligibility. Chance of playing seems remote to me, but...

http://newsok.com/baker-mayfields-appeal-denied-by-texas-tech/article/3922688

Another instance of the NCAA not looking out for the best interests of the student. A one year transfer would be acceptable, he redshirts no big deal. Losing a year on top is garbage. He was a walk-on at Tech. Lousy call all around to deny him the opportunity.

That being said, I don't think he would've or will see the field in his time here but welcome aboard.

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2014, 06:39 PM
Did the NCAA grant his waiver request? I can understand TT not granting it, as there do not appear to be any statutes governing grounds for appeal and they're obviously going to be dicks about it. But there are two years at play here. One is the the year you lose for transferring, which the NCAA controls (seems to be eligible for this). The second is the year you lose for transferring within the conference, which apparently TT controls (ineligible, because TT doth decree it so).

NorthernIowaSooner
1/10/2014, 06:51 PM
I don't know, I guess it might've just been Tech.

Either way I think it's a dick move since he wasn't on scholarship. He wasn't worth a scholarship to them so why the fuss when he wants to GTFO.

aurorasooner
1/10/2014, 07:08 PM
Kid definitely has a boner to play for OU.
I'M sure there's 2 stories and the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but d*&^ we'd be pizzed too if BB would graduate, and then use that grad-school loophole to head-off in-conference to somewhere like KState or Stool State and enroll in something like Vet School. I don't really know what the Big 12 conference rules are for a grad with a year of eligibility left are, but that'd be brutal.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 07:44 PM
Obviously there's more to it than we know. I hope he comes and it works out for him. I'm glad Knight had such a spectacular game against Bama. I'm glad Bell came through for us against OSU. But both these guys had injuries that took them out of multiple games. Kendall Thompson was able to step up, and that's great too. However with that kind of attrition, it helps to have a stable of quarterbacks. If he is allowed to contribute immediately, I think he will. Everybody just needs to make sure that everybody else around them is on the same page as to what the expectations are. And let's keep in mind that Stoops is rather firm and consistent in his stance that every position is open to competition at all times. Even the quarterback position.

I think you're correct.

Tech denied his appeal, so that tells me there is more to this story than we are hearing from either party involved.

Nonetheless, he's enrolled at OU for the Spring and will be a Sooner. He's going to have to sit out a year, and that's cost him his second year of eligibility, but it can't hurt to have him on the team.

Welcome to OU Mr. Mayfield.

8timechamps
1/10/2014, 07:48 PM
I don't know, I guess it might've just been Tech.

Either way I think it's a dick move since he wasn't on scholarship. He wasn't worth a scholarship to them so why the fuss when he wants to GTFO.

I tend to agree, but I think there's more to this than we know.

I also think the NCAA rule is asinine as it applies to walk-on/non scholarship athletes. Since the school NEVER paid a dime for his education, he should be allowed to go wherever he wants. If the rule is in place to protect the school, fine, then the school should be required to put him on scholarship if they deny his waiver.

cherokeebrewer
1/10/2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe he can play baseball...

CK Sooner
1/11/2014, 01:27 AM
He had a lot of choices, and he chose OU where he will have to compete incredibly hard to win a starting spot. If he believes he can do it, then I would be proud to have him on the football team. A true Sooner.