PDA

View Full Version : There's No Crying in Football

Wishboned
12/17/2013, 10:52 AM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/16/cowboys-management-comments-on-dez-leaving-game-early/

DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – It’s no doubt that Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant is a fierce competitor on the field, but his emotions got the best of him before the end of the game Sunday night against the Packers – forcing him to abandon his teammates on the sidelines and leave the game with minutes to spare.

Following a 4th quarter interception ruling, giving Green Bay the ball and ultimately the victory, Bryant left the bench and headed back to the locker room – according to Bryant, to cry.

“I was very emotional. I cried when I got into the locker room.” Bryant said Monday during a visit to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Obviously he was frustrated, as a lot of us were.” said Cowboys COO Stephen Jones. “It wasn’t a good decision on his part, I think he was the first to admit it. He let the heat of the moment and the emotion of the game get to him.”

Bryant is no stranger to sideline outbursts. He was criticized after the October 27th game against the Detroit Lions after video was released showing him being overly animated with quarterback Tony Romo, however he was forgiven when it turned out he was just trying to motivate the struggling offense.

“He loves his teammates, he loves this team, has a great passion for winning,” Cowboys coach Garrett told 105.3 The Fan. “You have to understand how to handle yourself in those situations. He’ll learn from this situation.”

Garrett said he would discuss the situation with Bryant, who had 11 catches for 153 yards.

“We’ll address that with Dez today,” Garrett said. “I understand why to a certain extent, they’re kneeling the ball, the game essentially is over. He’s an emotional guy…we’re all very emotional about what we do. But he needs to stay out on the field, and I’ll address that with him today, and just explain why it’s important to do that and he’ll understand.”

KantoSooner
12/17/2013, 10:58 AM
I would have understood his emotion more if he'd wrapped those huge hands around Romo's neck and slammed his head into the stadium wall until the light went out in those arrogant, stupid eyes.

sooner_born_1960
12/17/2013, 12:39 PM
Crying? No. But throwing a temper tantrum? That's fine.

lexsooner
12/17/2013, 12:39 PM
The Cowboys' biggest problem (besides their owner) is their defense. Da Bearss and Packers marched up and down the field on them. JJ fired Ryan as defensive coordinator and hired 73 year old Monte Kiffin who was a whiz decades ago. Romo is actually having one of his best years. However, he just has a way of throwing those picks when the game is on the line.

Soonerjeepman
12/17/2013, 12:42 PM
"ironic" he went to the Children's hospital after this...maybe to "smooth over" the crap he'd get.

I just hate this...as a former HS coach (bball) the kids see this and they think it is just fine to be like that...

8timechamps
12/17/2013, 06:33 PM
Does anyone really buy this lame excuse?

I'd have more respect for the kid if he'd just come out and said "I was really pissed off, made a bad decision and left the field early."

This guy is an amazing football talent, but still just a kid mentally.

Widescreen
12/17/2013, 09:55 PM
Romo is actually having one of his best years. However, he just has a way of throwing those picks when the game is on the line.

If the defense could stop anyone, the game wouldn't be on the line so much.

bmjlr
12/18/2013, 09:30 AM
If the defense could stop anyone, the game wouldn't be on the line so much.

This^^^^

badger
12/18/2013, 09:49 AM
Initially, this Packer fans was giggling along with the rest of the nation at what appeared to be a pouting baby crying over the loss by leaving the field.

After hearing that he actually was being a pouting baby crying over the loss, I could understand not wanting to draw attention to his weepy eyes in the closing minute or so.

At the same time, surely a big boy like Dez can find an alternative --- a towel over his head, sunglasses, or controling his emotions better --- than just leaving. That probably caused a bigger scene than crying would.

PrideMom
12/18/2013, 10:00 AM
What is he, 10 years old? Obviously, Dez has never had to be responsible for anything, and has not been taught how to conduct himself when things aren't going right. He won't admit that he runs the wrong routes, fumbles the ball, drops the ball, etc. They have had a "baby-sitter" on him to make sure he show up on time, and he ran up outlandish debts on jewelry! I am just glad he went ot OSU, and not OU so I am not embarrassed to claim him.

CowboyMRW
12/18/2013, 10:20 AM
"ironic" he went to the Children's hospital after this...maybe to "smooth over" the crap he'd get.

I just hate this...as a former HS coach (bball) the kids see this and they think it is just fine to be like that...

This wasn't immediately following the game. This is what he was doing at the hospital.
http://dezbryant.com/latest-news/dez-bryant-and-his-teammates-play-santa-clause-at-cook-childrens-hospital-in-fort-worth/

When was the last time that you heard about him doing something bad off the field. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a baby sitter anymore. Seems like he's showed great maturation the last year on and off the field. People walk off the field all the time. I've seen Peyton, Tom, Calvin all do it, but they're not criticized one bit. Why?

I'm not embarrassed one bit to claim that he went to OSU. He's always repping the Pokes and he loved his time here. I loved watching him as he did things live that I haven't seen since. Pridemom, since you're so glad that he didn't go to OU because of his outlandish spending on jewelry, do you claim Trent Williams? He seemed to be a pretty good player at OU.

As to running the wrong route, fumbling, drops, etc. it happens to the best of them. Even Megatron dropped two passes Monday night, and that never happens. I'm also having a hard time remembering the last wrong route that lead to a turnover, since that's about the only time people see wrong routes, this year. Which I think also lends credence to his maturation that has happened.

snydrosooner
12/18/2013, 10:28 AM
This wasn't immediately following the game. This is what he was doing at the hospital.
http://dezbryant.com/latest-news/dez-bryant-and-his-teammates-play-santa-clause-at-cook-childrens-hospital-in-fort-worth/

When was the last time that you heard about him doing something bad off the field. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a baby sitter anymore. Seems like he's showed great maturation the last year on and off the field. People walk off the field all the time. I've seen Peyton, Tom, Calvin all do it, but they're not criticized one bit. Why?

I'm not embarrassed one bit to claim that he went to OSU. He's always repping the Pokes and he loved his time here. I loved watching him as he did things live that I haven't seen since. Pridemom, since you're so glad that he didn't go to OU because of his outlandish spending on jewelry, do you claim Trent Williams? He seemed to be a pretty good player at OU.

As to running the wrong route, fumbling, drops, etc. it happens to the best of them. Even Megatron dropped two passes Monday night, and that never happens. I'm also having a hard time remembering the last wrong route that lead to a turnover, since that's about the only time people see wrong routes, this year. Which I think also lends credence to his maturation that has happened.

Mickey Spagnola with dallascowboys.com on the Franchise says he has 2 full time babysitters that work with him. And they even talked about how OSU did such a great job watching him that nothing he did in Stillwater came out. Mickey Spagnola's words not the Franchise peoples.

CowboyMRW
12/18/2013, 10:30 AM
What is he, 10 years old? Obviously, Dez has never had to be responsible for anything, and has not been taught how to conduct himself when things aren't going right. He won't admit that he runs the wrong routes, fumbles the ball, drops the ball, etc. They have had a "baby-sitter" on him to make sure he show up on time, and he ran up outlandish debts on jewelry! I am just glad he went ot OSU, and not OU so I am not embarrassed to claim him.

Mickey Spagnola with dallascowboys.com on the Franchise says he has 2 full time babysitters that work with him. And they even talked about how OSU did such a great job watching him that nothing he did in Stillwater came out. Mickey Spagnola's words not the Franchise peoples.

I stand corrected. I hadn't heard that at all.

badger
12/18/2013, 10:36 AM
I'm not embarrassed one bit to claim that he went to OSU. He's always repping the Pokes and he loved his time here.

It is to both Dallas' and OSU's credit that he doesn't embarrass either off the field. If the worst you can say about him off-field is that he spends too much money and he lied to the NCAA about something that wasn't even an NCAA violation (the Deion relationship), then that's really much bad at all. We all hate the NCAA too, and all athletes (have too much money to) spend too much money. And yes, it is because of the full-time babysitters that he's had in both places.

So yeah, he's really not too embarrassing. I'd rather he have stood there and taken his Packers beating like a man, but he was not seeking the spotlight (unlike TO crying to the media "that's my quarterback" a few years ago), the spotlight sought him.

KantoSooner
12/18/2013, 10:38 AM
I truly enjoyed watching Dez, and Blackmun. Gifted athlete who are both damn near automatic and made several Cowboy QBs look much better than they were/are. But how can you be a full grown man and act like that. It's like he's had no adults in his life, ever.
If I'd pulled something like that in junior high, my dad would have yanked me off the team until such time as I learned how to behave.

Wishboned
12/18/2013, 10:39 AM
You're saying this...

But all I'm hearing is...

aggie excuse aggie logic aggie excuses aggie logic aggie excuse aggie logic aggie excuses aggie logic aggie excuse aggie logic aggie excuses aggie logic aggie excuse aggie logic aggie excuses aggie logic

CowboyMRW
12/18/2013, 10:56 AM
I truly enjoyed watching Dez, and Blackmun. Gifted athlete who are both damn near automatic and made several Cowboy QBs look much better than they were/are. But how can you be a full grown man and act like that. It's like he's had no adults in his life, ever.
If I'd pulled something like that in junior high, my dad would have yanked me off the team until such time as I learned how to behave.

He really hasn't though. Not growing up at least.

KantoSooner
12/18/2013, 11:03 AM
What? He was raised by wolves next to the railroad tracks? No coach or teacher ever yanked him by the ear and told him to attend to his ****?

snydrosooner
12/18/2013, 11:03 AM
He really hasn't though. Not growing up at least.

That is why most people, I think, give him a pass. I don't think anything I have heard in public or on the field actions are horrible, they just add up after awhile. Hamelton with the Angels has a guy that babysits him too, so its not like Dez is the only one.