PDA

View Full Version : Bevo's new leader?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/15/2013, 01:20 PM
Who will it be?

I spoke with a Horn fan I know and be was convinced that they would hire away Urban Meyer. It gave me a pretty good chuckle. But, he was convinced.

REDREX
12/15/2013, 01:38 PM
I would like to throw John Blakes hat in the ring

AzianSooner
12/15/2013, 01:51 PM
I suspect the North Western head coach.

SoonerDomiNation
12/15/2013, 02:03 PM
Chrissy sims.......

cherokeebrewer
12/15/2013, 02:08 PM
I don't think Urban Meyer is out of the question, but horn fans hate him. If not him, then who?

Saban...no
Harbaugh...no
Malzahn...no
Briles...no
Fisher...no
Shaw...no
Strong...maybe, but doubtful
Dabo...maybe, but doubtful
Hamilton...maybe, but doubtful
Patterson, possibly
Gruden, possibly

Going to be interesting to watch for sure.

rock on sooner
12/15/2013, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Dantonio at Meatchicken State
got it...I think he's the only Big Ten coach they could get...Meyer is
staying put but it's all speculation on my part...

wishbonesooner
12/15/2013, 02:12 PM
Would they go after Les Miles?

olevetonahill
12/15/2013, 02:19 PM
Would they go after Les Miles?

Im Hearing Bobs Name Now
The OU jet was seen in Austin

BigJerm7
12/15/2013, 03:08 PM
Alan Trimble.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/15/2013, 03:20 PM
Vince Young would be an outstanding choice for UT's head coaching position.

David Earl
12/15/2013, 03:23 PM
Im Hearing Bobs Name Now

Tee hee

rock on sooner
12/15/2013, 03:26 PM
Im Hearing Bobs Name Now

Naw, that was just a strafing run on Mack's house...

Soonerjeepman
12/15/2013, 04:15 PM
jim trussle...guess though there are sanctions that go with him? I'd think, someone like ku who is bad anyways, should hire him

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 04:18 PM
Some UT fans are so delusional they think they could hire Belicheck away from New England....

Jacie
12/15/2013, 04:28 PM
After the 3-ring circus that surrounded sa*et football over the last week, they are going to do everything they can to keep the candidate list a secret until they are ready to announce a hire.

swardboy
12/15/2013, 04:34 PM
Is that LHN thingy considered a yoke around the neck of any potential new football coach? I can't quite grasp how that's viewed a big positive for recruiting with all the podunk sports that seem to dominate the viewing time.

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 04:43 PM
A control-freak type of coach would hate the whole LHN type of situation, that is (one of many reasons) why UT will probably hire another politician/CEO head coach.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/15/2013, 04:52 PM
I suspect the North Western head coach.

He's a NW graduate, he might leave but it would be tough to pry him away.

ouduckhunter
12/15/2013, 05:01 PM
Even with the show cause from Oregon, I think that Chip Kelly's name will come up at some point. He's young, innovative, knows how to work with powerful alumni, and he's not so firmly entrenched at Philly yet that he couldn't be lured away with the right offer.

soonerinabilene
12/15/2013, 05:11 PM
I do not get this idea that a NFL coach would leave to go to a college. At least not the names are being mentioned. Saban leaving the Dolphins made sense- things werent going good and he likes being able to handpick his players. Petrino just wasn't a NFL coach. But the only names being mentioned are highly successful NFL guys- Tomlin, Harbaugh, McCarthy. If it was Lezlie Frazier or Ron Rivera, then yeah, I guess that's a possibility. But elite level guys- not a chance.

They should be talking to Bill O'Brien's agent.

DrZaius
12/15/2013, 05:21 PM
Some UT fans are so delusional they think they could hire Belicheck away from New England....

After watching a football life on him there is no way he could handle the personal relationship with players that comes with being a college coach. No way. He is an *******

cherokeebrewer
12/15/2013, 05:25 PM
He's a NW graduate, he might leave but it would be tough to pry him away.

UT $$$ big pry bar, but don't think they go that direction
UT won't take Chip Kelly with the baggage

That Wyoming coach is a possibility, Bohls I think it is.

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 05:51 PM
Even with the show cause from Oregon, I think that Chip Kelly's name will come up at some point. He's young, innovative, knows how to work with powerful alumni, and he's not so firmly entrenched at Philly yet that he couldn't be lured away with the right offer.
He only had one alumni to placate, UT is way more political and requires a coach to pacify the alumni 'cause there are a whole lot of asses to kiss down there. That was why Mack was so good down there.

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 05:53 PM
After watching a football life on him there is no way he could handle the personal relationship with players that comes with being a college coach. No way. He is an *******
We know that...some of their fans don't seem to realize what the position at their school really requires. They want a top flight coach when that position has developed into requiring a politician who hires good coaches.

8timechamps
12/15/2013, 06:19 PM
We know that...some of their fans don't seem to realize what the position at their school really requires. They want a top flight coach when that position has developed into requiring a politician who hires good coaches.

That's where the delusion comes in for a lot of those fans.

To think a successful, current NFL head coach would leave the top of the profession, to take the Texas job, is delusional.

To think anyone that's offered, regardless of their current situation, will take the job, is delusional.

To assume that Texas is the definitive college coaching destination, in all the country, is delusional.

cherokeebrewer
12/15/2013, 06:28 PM
To assume that Texas is the definitive college coaching destination, in all the country, is delusional.

Yep, along with Notre Dame...

BigTip
12/15/2013, 07:56 PM

I was agreeing with you until the last one. Like it or not, it is one of the best college jobs in the country, if for no other reason than the money. Not only money for their paycheck, but money for whatever they want for the program.

Red McCombs (One of several high profile booosters) was on TV talking about it. Reporter said something about if money was an issue in all this. McCombs said, "Well if money is an issue, than I'm not doing my job right!"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2013, 08:49 PM
After the 3-ring circus that surrounded sa*et football over the last week, they are going to do everything they can to keep the candidate list a secret until they are ready to announce a hire.Well, the hell with that! Let's do speculation and innuendo.

soonertodd
12/15/2013, 08:50 PM

Can vince even spell head coach?

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 08:53 PM
I was agreeing with you until the last one. Like it or not, it is one of the best college jobs in the country, if for no other reason than the money. Not only money for their paycheck, but money for whatever they want for the program.

Red McCombs (One of several high profile booosters) was on TV talking about it. Reporter said something about if money was an issue in all this. McCombs said, "Well if money is an issue, than I'm not doing my job right!"
The thing is all the money in the world doesn't guarantee that they are going to get the best. All a coach has to do is talk to some of the current and former assistants to find out what the job really is like. Just because they have money, facilities and a prime recruiting area doesn't mean you are a lock to be successful. If that was the case it wouldn't have taken 30+ years between championships. The primary responsibility in that job is not coaching, it is dealing with all the crap baggage the school has in terms of administration and alumni. Some coaches just don't want to deal with that crap and will take a better situation for less money. If Saban thought dealing with "the crap" at Bama is bad there is no way he would want the UT job.

8timechamps
12/15/2013, 09:03 PM

Go back and re-read my post.

I said; To assume that Texas is the definitive college coaching destination, in all the country, is delusional.

There's no question that Texas is one of the top jobs in the country, however, nobody can say it is THE definitive top job. There are several jobs that are right there with the Texas job. They have the money, but that doesn't make it the top job. Not to mention that Saban will still be the highest paid coach in the country, regardless of who Texas hires.

olevetonahill
12/15/2013, 10:13 PM
Can vince even spell head coach?

He be all gettin him an Assistant Head coach, He thinkin Dexter Manley YO!

fadada1
12/15/2013, 10:18 PM
Any guess what their play book would look like?

Scott D
12/15/2013, 10:34 PM
That's where the delusion comes in for a lot of those fans.

To think a successful, current NFL head coach would leave the top of the profession, to take the Texas job, is delusional.

To think anyone that's offered, regardless of their current situation, will take the job, is delusional.

You could have just said Brian Kelly...it's the kind of scenario that he drools over ;)

birddog
12/15/2013, 11:16 PM
Schiano. I'd love to see him in burnt orange.

OUinFLA
12/16/2013, 07:52 AM
Schiano. I'd love to see him in burnt orange.

So would a lot of us in Tampa

Scott D
12/16/2013, 11:08 AM
So would a lot of us in Tampa

you tampa people just want to see him burnt.

Jacie
12/16/2013, 03:50 PM
From hornfans.com:

Why is Chad Morris not considered?

Read the background just the past four years and his ties to Gus Malzahn. What Coach Morris has learned and how he has developed.

The coaching trajectory he is on.

Here's a point. I'll bet if Texas does not hire Chad Morris.... in a few years... OU will. And OU will become a combination of Oregon / Auburn / Baylor ... ala the coaching mentality of those three program.

With Texas talent.

If Chad Morris is not here for the next 15 years, Texas will end up facing him in conference of in the Final Four.

That's my prognosis. So, name me the next great coach who is not right now on everybody's short list and radar? I can't name one other than Chad Morris.

He's got the same thing going for him regards Texas HS. And he's showing he has the offensive savvy at the college level that Briles came through on trajectory.

He is a former Texas high school coach who served as OC at Tulsa and is currently OC at Clemson. He was interviewed by tech before they settled on Kingsbury.

bluedogok
12/16/2013, 11:56 PM
Chad Morris had an undefeated run at Lake Travis, two 16-0 championship seasons with Garrett Gilbert as the QB. Tulsa hired him from there, Texas won't hire him because he isn't already a head coach somewhere. He also isn't high profile enough to feed the egos there. If Morris had been at Arkansas State last year he might have had a shot. That was why David McWilliams left UT to be HC of Tech for a season, they flat told him they wouldn't hire or promote an assistant...after all, "they're Texas"

Soonerwake
12/17/2013, 12:55 PM
The new big name is Jimbo Fischer.

PalmBeachSooner
12/17/2013, 01:03 PM
A control-freak type of coach would hate the whole LHN type of situation, that is (one of many reasons) why UT will probably hire another politician/CEO head coach.

That's why I think it will be Les Miles. He's never met a camera he didn't love.

12/17/2013, 01:08 PM
The new big name is Jimbo Fischer.Hopefully that situation doesn't screw up FSU's game prep to beat that SEC SEC SEC team.

Thorgasm
12/17/2013, 02:32 PM
Bill Callahan.........LOL:disturbed:

Herr Scholz
12/17/2013, 04:01 PM
Hearing James Franklin, Charlie Strong or Jim Mora. So I'm sure it will be someone other than that...

ouwasp
12/17/2013, 04:42 PM
Franklin is the Vandy guy, right? I'm thinking he would do well in TX...rather have a pompous guy.

12/17/2013, 04:53 PM
Franklin is the Vandy guy, right? I'm thinking he would do well in TX...rather have a pompous guy.Plus, being black, to combat the recruiting effects of Kevin Sumlin over at Lassie.

8timechamps
12/17/2013, 07:07 PM
Vegas thinks Charlie Strong (Louisville) is the next UT coach. Damn, they'll put odds on anything! Anyway, here are the top five (by odds):

1. Charlie Strong (Louisville) 2/1
2. Art Briles (Baylor) 9/2
3. James Franklin (Vanderbilt) 5/1
4. Mike Gundy (OSU) 7/1
5. Bill O'Brien (Penn State) 15/2

Here's the link to the rest of the list: LINK (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/betting-odds-for-next-texas-longhorns-head-coach-charlie-strong-leads-the-way.html/)

Scott D
12/17/2013, 07:22 PM
I still can't see him dealing with the LHN obligations.

Jacie
12/17/2013, 07:29 PM
There is talk of Briles being considered for an expected opening of the Washington Redskins coach.

O'Brien has also been mentioned as possibly moving to the pros.

The one that sticks out as unlikely is Gundy. Just don't see him as someone the sa*et power men would seriously consider.

Scott D
12/17/2013, 07:31 PM
There is talk of Briles being considered for an expected opening of the Washington Redskins coach.

O'Brien has also been mentioned as possibly moving to the pros.

The one that sticks out as unlikely is Gundy. Just don't see him as someone the sa*et power men would seriously consider.

Kyle Shanahan to the Horns...book it! ;)

sooneron
12/17/2013, 09:28 PM
That would be akin to Mike Shula @ Bama!

Kyle Shanahan to the Horns...book it! ;)

8timechamps
12/18/2013, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind, if a big name gets the Texas gig, then that just starts the dominoes falling. Especially if it's someone like Mora. UCLA isn't a small school, and they would also want a big name coach, and on, and on...

That's what makes this fun to watch.

Scott D
12/18/2013, 04:57 PM
I don't see any of the guys who just signed the big extensions in the last month no matter how much money Austin throws at them....well, except maybe Todd Graham because we know there isn't a new job he doesn't like.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2013, 04:58 PM
Speaking of Mora - since CFB will be dipping it's toes into the playoff pool next year, Mora Jr. may get a chance to recite his father's famous "Playoff!?" rant.

70sooner
12/19/2013, 08:45 AM
looks like Jon Gruden is throwing his hat in the ring...

http://newsok.com/report-jon-gruden-would-consider-texas-job/article/3915744

picasso
12/19/2013, 09:35 AM
Vegas thinks Charlie Strong (Louisville) is the next UT coach. Damn, they'll put odds on anything! Anyway, here are the top five (by odds):

1. Charlie Strong (Louisville) 2/1
2. Art Briles (Baylor) 9/2
3. James Franklin (Vanderbilt) 5/1
4. Mike Gundy (OSU) 7/1
5. Bill O'Brien (Penn State) 15/2

Here's the link to the rest of the list: LINK (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/betting-odds-for-next-texas-longhorns-head-coach-charlie-strong-leads-the-way.html/)
That's because gambling is a sickness.
I remember watching a documentary on John Gotti, that guy would bet people on insects walking up a wall.

picasso
12/19/2013, 09:36 AM
looks like Jon Gruden is throwing his hat in the ring...

http://newsok.com/report-jon-gruden-would-consider-texas-job/article/3915744
Is there any proof that he's a solid head coach?

lexsooner
12/19/2013, 11:14 AM
Don't you watch Monday Night Football? The man knows everything and knows exactly what a player did wrong and how he would have done it right.

KantoSooner
12/19/2013, 11:16 AM
Charlie Strong is the nightmare choice from our perspective. He'd build Texas into a defensive death star. <cue Imperial Storm Trooper music>

Sooner in Tampa
12/19/2013, 01:53 PM
Word around here is that Charlie Strong is not really an option...he is patiently waiting for the Florida gig...Moosetwit is on a very short leash

Gruden is an interesting name...he has a SB trophy, but the guy goes through QB's like most of us go through midafternoon snacks...he is never happy with his QB...and his language is incredibly bad...he loves the F bomb like a fat kid loves cake

Briles name keeps coming up with the 'Skins but RGII may F&*K that up...he is openly calling for the 'Skins to hire Briles for his son...IF they hire Briles, there will be HUGE problems in DC, because rumor has it the players are already getting tired of the RGIII act.

I think it is really going to come down to Franklin, Gundy, or Mora...if'in I were a bettin man and all

vtsooner21
12/19/2013, 03:08 PM
Kyle Chandler... (Friday Night Lights Coach) Clear Minds....But he's looking to sign Riggins as a package deal.

Boomer

8timechamps
12/19/2013, 03:09 PM
I would absolutely love for the Horns to sign Gruden. How long has it been since he coaches football? Better yet, how long has it been since he recruited a kid in high school?

Les Miles is starting to make more sense every day. I think his time is close to being up in Baton Rouge, and he has had success against OU (plus he knows recruiting in the conference). If he did join the Horns, that would bring a 'whole nuther level' of disgust I have for him. But, the press conferences would be kinda fun.

Scott D
12/19/2013, 04:12 PM
I think there is an interesting dynamic here that isn't getting enough thought.

If Mack is involved in this process, I can't see him "letting" them hire anyone who is going to overshadow him.

Ton Loc
12/19/2013, 05:19 PM
Please let them hire Gruden. The guy last coached college 25 years ago as a receivers coach at Pacific.

dwarthog
12/19/2013, 05:43 PM
I would absolutely love for the Horns to sign Gruden. How long has it been since he coaches football? Better yet, how long has it been since he recruited a kid in high school?

Les Miles is starting to make more sense every day. I think his time is close to being up in Baton Rouge, and he has had success against OU (plus he knows recruiting in the conference). If he did join the Horns, that would bring a 'whole nuther level' of disgust I have for him. But, the press conferences would be kinda fun.

Correct me if I wrong here. Isn't UT's home field fake turf of some sort? Les will starve there with nothing to eat.... :-)

bluedogok
12/19/2013, 10:28 PM
Correct me if I wrong here. Isn't UT's home field fake turf of some sort? Les will starve there with nothing to eat.... :-)
It is a FieldTurf type of field, they went to that after the bog the A&M game was that one season. They used to have a Prescription Athletic Turf surface but when they got rid of the track and lowered the field they went with a Bermuda grass surface instead of PAT so when we had the heavy rains that hit Austin on Thanksgiving 2008 it turned into a mud pit.

For some reason I think Dantonio may be the coach.

12/20/2013, 01:56 AM
For some reason I think Dantonio may be the coach.This would not surprise me. Neither would Saban, even though he has already said he isn't interested.

PLaw
12/20/2013, 07:09 AM
David Shaw -

That is all.

Boomer

swardboy
12/20/2013, 09:07 AM
Mike and Mike show says "fait accompli" it's Jimbo Fisher, according to multiple sources in Tallahassee.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2013, 09:29 AM
Mike and Mike show says "fait accompli" it's Jimbo Fisher, according to multiple sources in Tallahassee.

If so, that bastage better do something good by beating Auburn before turning burnt orange evil.

Mjcpr
12/20/2013, 09:31 AM

I keep hearing him but why would he leave the national championship level team he built to go to one he may or may not build? Texas is a better job but it isn't the huge step up that most coaches make when they change jobs. Seems like a good get for the horns if they can pull it off.

12/20/2013, 01:23 PM
I keep hearing him but why would he leave the national championship level team he built to go to one he may or may not build? Texas is a better job but it isn't the huge step up that most coaches make when they change jobs. Seems like a good get for the horns if they can pull it off.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + he's the best recruiter in FL, apparently. He could get the best from both tx and fl.

picasso
12/20/2013, 01:59 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + he's the best recruiter in FL, apparently. He could get the best from both tx and fl.

Sorry but you're not going to get best from Florida to leave the state.

Scott D
12/20/2013, 02:37 PM
That wasn't exactly how I heard it this morning, but ok.

12/20/2013, 02:39 PM
Sorry but you're not going to get best from Florida to leave the state.$$$$$$$$$, whoever you want in texas, AND additional guys you want from Florida. I don't see the downside there.

Scott D
12/20/2013, 02:45 PM
I love that the media believes that anyone who is successful right now is going to want to literally start from scratch with Texas. Hell it took Jimbo how many years to get to this point with Florida State?

The only way he goes there right now is if they throw so much money at him that even God couldn't resist taking the job.

12/20/2013, 02:52 PM
I love that the media believes that anyone who is successful right now is going to want to literally start from scratch with Texas. Hell it took Jimbo how many years to get to this point with Florida State?

The only way he goes there right now is if they throw so much money at him that even God couldn't resist taking the job.Starting from scratch in tx has the invaluable perk of no recruiting worries. That coupled with $$$$$$$$$ could be very attractive.

Jimbo had the task in FL of competing in recruiting, pretty much on equal footing, I think, with FU and the U. He has shown he's good with that. I don't want him to be a cow, but he's a good candidate, IMO.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2013, 03:20 PM

The only way he goes there right now is if they throw so much money at him that even God couldn't resist taking the job.

God is holding out for an NFL gig and he's on the short list in Dallas and Washington.

Scott D
12/20/2013, 03:27 PM
Starting from scratch in tx has the invaluable perk of no recruiting worries. That coupled with $$$$$$$$$ could be very attractive.

Jimbo had the task in FL of competing in recruiting, pretty much on equal footing, I think, with FU and the U. He has shown he's good with that. I don't want him to be a cow, but he's a good candidate, IMO.

I don't deny he's a good candidate, but I think that right now at this time I would equate where he is in his career, with when Bob was going to his first mnc game in 2000. Back when Brad Nessler said it wouldn't be journalistically responsible for them to NOT talk about the potential of Bob going to Ohio State (they had just fired John Cooper) during the game.

right now he's got way more upside at FSU than he would starting over again in Austin...starting with the fact that he has a quarterback.

Herr Scholz
12/20/2013, 03:51 PM
I keep hearing him but why would he leave the national championship level team he built to go to one he may or may not build? Texas is a better job but it isn't the huge step up that most coaches make when they change jobs. Seems like a good get for the horns if they can pull it off.

Not sure if it's true or not but I read something about him not being super happy with his bosses there, that there's been some bad blood ever since the Bowden transition, that the higher ups there really dragged their feet on giving him the job, giving him a raise, etc. Maybe that because he seems to be in a good situation over there. And while I'm a Longhorn fan, I'm not one to say UT is the be all/end all for everybody. There are plenty of destination jobs.

Sooner in Tampa
12/20/2013, 03:58 PM
Jimbo has very little competition right now when it comes to recruiting FLA kids

Moosetwit is all mucked at UF and the U is still rebuilding and gets most of the kids from south FLA...UCF and USF are also-rans right now

FSU is LOADED for the foreseeable future...I just can't imagine a HC leaving with that much talent while playing a very easy to win conference

badger
12/20/2013, 04:05 PM
Not sure if it's true or not but I read something about him not being super happy with his bosses there, that there's been some bad blood ever since the Bowden transition, that the higher ups there really dragged their feet on giving him the job, giving him a raise, etc. Maybe that because he seems to be in a good situation over there. And while I'm a Longhorn fan, I'm not one to say UT is the be all/end all for everybody. There are plenty of destination jobs.

There were certainly some sad stories coming out of that deal. Bobby Bowden spilled everything (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-08/bobby-bowden/story/bobby-bowden-they-promised-me-one-more-year) in an interview a few years ago.

FSU has certainly gotten what they wanted out of the transition: They're back in the national title picture and above UF and the U in recruiting pecking order. Three bowl wins, zero bowl losses (including last year's Orange Bowl over mid-major flavor of the month), two-straight ACC championships and another divisional championship on top of that his first year.

Still, I seem to recall that he had a very tight leash on his program. Remember our home-and-home with them? Jimbo wouldn't let Mark talk to the media, because assistants didn't talk to the media with him as head coach. So even though they'd be asking stuff like "How brotherly love do you love Bob your lovely brother love," Jimbo wouldn't let him contribute to that storyline (and then they lost both times anyway, heh)

Tight leash doesn't bode well for Texas, does it Herr?

Herr Scholz
12/20/2013, 04:19 PM
Tight leash doesn't bode well for Texas, does it Herr?
With regard to the Longhorn Network? Yeah, probably not a good fit there but $$$ is a salve for a lot of ailments.

12/20/2013, 05:06 PM
I don't deny he's a good candidate, but I think that right now at this time I would equate where he is in his career, with when Bob was going to his first mnc game in 2000. Back when Brad Nessler said it wouldn't be journalistically responsible for them to NOT talk about the potential of Bob going to Ohio State (they had just fired John Cooper) during the game.

right now he's got way more upside at FSU than he would starting over again in Austin...starting with the fact that he has a quarterback.The MONEY is always a big factor. The elephant in the room. I'll concede that having Jameis Winston is also HUGE, especially for right now...but, long term, the tx job, if he can put up with the politics and the LHN, is prolly quite attractive to him, and to other folks as well.