PDA

View Full Version : Arkie State looking at Josh for their head coach opening?

ouduckhunter
12/14/2013, 09:27 PM
Any rumors floating around?

birddog
12/14/2013, 10:07 PM
They reported its his job if he wants it. Other than that, nothing since this morning

Mazeppa
12/14/2013, 11:24 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lbzgg.jpg

SoonerMarkVA
12/14/2013, 11:30 PM
I'd be really surprised if he takes this.

Mazeppa
12/14/2013, 11:31 PM
I don't see it.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/14/2013, 11:35 PM
I think this depends on how badly he wants to be a HC. The last three have gone on to bigger programs after one year. Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin aren't a bad act to follow. The program is decent and been a good stepping stone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

SoonerofAlabama
12/15/2013, 01:15 AM
I heard Arkansas State was looking for candidates with head coaching experience.

soonergirlNeugene
12/15/2013, 01:18 AM
I wonder how much Josh has thought about Mike Stoops' experience over at Arizona.

stoopified
12/15/2013, 05:25 AM
I wonder how much Josh has thought about Mike Stoops' experience over at Arizona.Not much is my guess.Yes Mike got fired but he did have a six year run making HC money.There is an old coaching axiom that says there are two kinds of coaches ; those who have been fired and those who will be fired. At one point I would have said this was a bad idea for Josh or any coach wanting to be HC.In recent years however this has been a decent stepping stone job. If Josh is to suceed Bob,he has to get seasoning somewhere.

Widescreen
12/15/2013, 09:42 AM
Of course if Josh takes the job, it will only mean that Jay Norvell will become the OC and we'll just keep doing what we're doing. Even though I like Jay, I'd rather see someone innovative brought in.

ouduckhunter
12/15/2013, 10:58 AM
Article on Ark State's perspective of the hiring process....

http://tinyurl.com/jvnx6en

SoonerorLater
12/15/2013, 12:36 PM
Not so fast my friends. The UT job is now open so Josh to UT?

BigJerm7
12/15/2013, 03:07 PM
Sounds like Harsin left UT at the right time.

8timechamps
12/15/2013, 03:45 PM
I heard Arkansas State was looking for candidates with head coaching experience.

I'd be surprised if that were the case, unless they are looking to bring in an old former head coach that wants to coach somewhere for 5 or 6 six years, then retire. Arkansas State's problem is they have now gone through 5 coaches in 5 years, and they're losing fans and interest in the program (not to mention the difficulties that puts on recruiting). They need someone that will come in and agree to at least a 4 or 5 year commitment. That's going to be hard to find in a person with HC experience (unless they're old and sorta washed up). The really good head coaches in the FCS probably wouldn't take this job, as it wouldn't be much of a step up for them. That leaves mostly coordinators, which is what I believe they will get.

If Mack still wants to coach, this would be an ideal set up for him. Seriously.

bluedogok
12/15/2013, 03:55 PM
I think going with a younger coordinator would give them more than a one-a-done option. I would think hiring someone like Josh or a Major Applewhite they would be in the position for a few years before moving up. Coaches like Harsin, Malzahn, Freeze were all coordinators for a much longer period before going to Arkansas State.

badger
12/16/2013, 09:48 AM
Arkansas State needs someone that won't leave in one season... and love you Josh, but if you were to go there, you wouldn't get another job offer in a year. To your credit, they wouldn't fire you in a year, either.

Arky State one and dones:

2013: Bryan Harsin (to Bois Estate)
2012: Gus Malzahn (to Auburn)
2011: Hugh Freeze (to Ole Miss)

cherokeebrewer
12/16/2013, 10:35 AM
If Josh aspires to be a head coach and I believe he does, that's obviously a great place to start...

olevetonahill
12/16/2013, 10:45 AM
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=What-if-Arkansas-State-hires-Ed-Orgeron

badger
12/16/2013, 10:55 AM
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=What-if-Arkansas-State-hires-Ed-Orgeron

The way Ed Orgeron left assures him that no major program will take a chance on that big baby. If David Cutliffe can rebuild his coaching career at a dump like Duke, then there's no reason why Coach O shouldn't also settle for less for the time being now. Consider: Both were fired for excessive losing at Ole Miss. Both were ex-Tennessee assistants. There's a lot in common there.

I suspect Coach O is too proud and too pouty at the moment to settle for less than USC, though. Too bad for him, a USC caliber program will NOT call.

Jacie
12/16/2013, 10:56 AM
Arkansas State needs someone that won't leave in one season... and love you Josh, but if you were to go there, you wouldn't get another job offer in a year.

You can't say that with any certainty. What if he leads em to a 10-win season? Harsin was hired away after only winning 7 games (compared to Freeze's 10 and Malzahn's 11). If he is successful there, a bigger school will come calling.

SoonerofAlabama
12/18/2013, 09:27 PM
Blake Anderson, the North Carolina offensive coordinator is going to be their head coach.

arcman46
12/18/2013, 11:02 PM
You can't say that with any certainty. What if he leads em to a 10-win season? Harsin was hired away after only winning 7 games (compared to Freeze's 10 and Malzahn's 11). If he is successful there, a bigger school will come calling.

Harsin was hired because Boise lost Petersen. Boise was always Harsin's dream job.

ouduckhunter
12/19/2013, 12:33 PM
Blake Anderson, the North Carolina offensive coordinator is going to be their head coach.

Yep, this is now being reported by several sources so looks like it's a done deal.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2013, 01:27 PM
Yep, this is now being reported by several sources so looks like it's a done deal.

This could erupt into a mini-meltdown on landthieves where Josh is regarded as the anti-christ.

badger
12/19/2013, 01:35 PM

Sooo... what major program does he coach after his year at Arkansas State :D

SicEmBaylor
12/19/2013, 04:17 PM
Good for Blake! He's a Baylor alum and former player under Teaff.

Curly Bill
12/19/2013, 04:47 PM
Well damn! I thought maybe we could be rid of Josh!

ouduckhunter
12/19/2013, 04:50 PM

Kansas to take over the fighting Weises. Not a power house, but a step up.

BigJerm7
12/19/2013, 07:07 PM

BigJerm7
12/19/2013, 07:07 PM

Chattanooga.