PDA

View Full Version : pure football Strength/weaknesses of bama/OU

Soonerjeepman
12/14/2013, 10:13 AM
just STRAIGHT up...no predictions, no complaining about OU just how do the 2 teams match up....

Not versed in Bama...

OU + running, D-ends seem to be doing well, Saunders, Shepard
OU - qb play (overall) seem to need both
OU -/+ Oline

picasso
12/14/2013, 11:08 AM
We need to score on special teams. I think our only chance is for the D to play lights out.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2013, 11:30 AM
Bama's FG team in the Auburn game: missed 2 of makeable distance, had another blocked, influenced Saban to go for it on 4th and 1 instead of trying a 4th (33yds?) and allowed the last not so makeable one to be run back for a TD for the game winner.

We have Hunnicutt.

Mjcpr
12/14/2013, 11:57 AM
I don't know much about Alabama at all but I'm thinking their weaknesses are pretty few and far between given the run they've been on. We probably have a special teams advantage but I doubt we are superior anywhere else. Like Picasso said, we will need a defensive effort of epic proportions and a lot of points from special teams and very, very few mistakes.

It isn't impossible and it would be one of the great wins of the Stoops era if they pull it off.

Soonerjeepman
12/14/2013, 11:59 AM
Bama's FG team in the Auburn game: missed 2 of makeable distance, had another blocked, influenced Saban to go for it on 4th and 1 instead of trying a 4th (33yds?) and allowed the last not so makeable one to be run back for a TD for the game winner.

We have Hunnicutt.

yes, forgot him...he could be the diff maker.

SoonerForLife92
12/14/2013, 01:13 PM
I don't know much about Alabama at all but I'm thinking their weaknesses are pretty few and far between given the run they've been on. We probably have a special teams advantage but I doubt we are superior anywhere else. Like Picasso said, we will need a defensive effort of epic proportions and a lot of points from special teams and very, very few mistakes.

It isn't impossible and it would be one of the great wins of the Stoops era if they pull it off.

Our pass defense is better than theirs and while our offense is not better than theirs, theirs is not as impressive this year as it has been the past few. As stated we should hopefully have a special teams advantage.

Are we still gonna have the two starters out on o-line?

Jacie
12/14/2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the bama offense is really subpar, especially at the QB position.

Sure he was invited to New York City by the Downtown Athletic Club but it isn't like anyone really thinks he is going to win the Heisman Trophy.

soonergirlNeugene
12/14/2013, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him win it. The guy is consistent, dependable, and very clutch when he needs to be. I wish we had a seasoned QB of his caliber this season.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2013, 07:18 PM

We have Hunnicutt.
The Auburn game was an anomaly for Foster though; he was 11-12 on FG's coming into that game. Sometimes a good kicker just has a bad day (see Mike v. TTU '11). Also, FWIW, the kid who kicked the one Auburn ran back was their backup kicker, not Foster.

8timechamps
12/14/2013, 07:28 PM
Bama's weakness on defense is their secondary, and from their perspective, that matches up pretty well with our inept-at-times passing game.

On offense, I'm not sure they have a weakness. I've heard that their offensive line isn't as good this year, but I have no real idea if that's true, or if it means anything good for OU.

The bottom line is we'll have to play our most complete game to win, and I think we can do that. I just really like the resolve in our guys, especially on defense.

olevetonahill
12/14/2013, 07:33 PM
Just lookin at the win/loss records.
Bama has played 3 ranked teams and Lost one of those
OU has played 4 ranked teams and Only lost one of those
We ONE ranked team better than them. Nuff said LOL

Mazeppa
12/14/2013, 10:50 PM
And we beat the team that "could" have won a share of the big 12 title and gone to the Fiesta Bowl. :)

Sabanball
12/14/2013, 11:51 PM
Both teams will be fired up for this one. If you can't get jacked and ready to play in this matchup, you shouldn't be playing college football.

TahoeSOONER
12/15/2013, 12:40 AM
Defensive front must stop the run for four qtrs. I believe the D can do it at times but they will try and lean and beat us up upfront so we gotta have a effort from the big boys. Our secondary can play with them. If they try and run, which is what they want to do, it would big if we can get our ground game going and shorten the game and open up the pass game.

Big boys gotta play big in this game and stop the run. The pressure will mount on Bama' if we're still in the game late.

Ps. Go with TK

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/15/2013, 08:07 AM
And we beat the team that "could" have won a share of the big 12 title and gone to the Fiesta Bowl. :)

Holy cow, Mazeppa! Where did you find that collage in your signature box. That is awesome!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/15/2013, 08:08 AM
Defensive front must stop the run for four qtrs. I believe the D can do it at times but they will try and lean and beat us up upfront so we gotta have a effort from the big boys. Our secondary can play with them. If they try and run, which is what they want to do, it would big if we can get our ground game going and shorten the game and open up the pass game.

Big boys gotta play big in this game and stop the run. The pressure will mount on Bama' if we're still in the game late.

Ps. Go with TK

I fear our db's sneaking up to help with run and getting burned over the top.

TahoeSOONER
12/15/2013, 09:30 AM
I fear our db's sneaking up to help with run and getting burned over the top.

Gotta keep Cooper in check with the deep ball. As long as they don't just run it down our throats and our offense can stay on the field we can make this a interesting game. This game will be very telling about the direction of our great program.