PDA

View Full Version : Without a prayer?

ObiKaTony
12/12/2013, 09:46 PM
We don't have a prayer without knight. We have seen bell against Texas and Baylor, and Bama is 10x their defenses. Knight isn't perfect so please don't take this out of context, I am saying with knights legs (that isn't heuples play calling) we can control the clock more efficiently, and he does run the read option very well while throwing the ball when he needed to against k-state...

We have zero chance of winning with Bell, he doesn't have the play calling, he doesn't have the legs, and his throws are sporadic at best...we will be exposed in the worst way...

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Bell sucked at Notre Dame. No way he can possibly win!!!11!!!one!!

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 09:55 PM
Oh No we got another one
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlb8EmelLoYFbyAPdu4MOUziB4sBnfR J31fXF5cJbviG8O5kEO_g

SoonerMarkVA
12/12/2013, 10:09 PM
If Knight's not available, and the coaches feel they need to go read option, I think they will go with Thompson.

That said, while Bell's had some bad games, he was damn good against ND and Pork St. I think Bell had some mental letdown starting with TCU until he left the ISU game. If the Poke game indicates he's shaken that problem, I think he can do good things.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 10:11 PM
And Bell just sucked on the road against OSU who happened to be one of the top teams we played all season along with Baylor. Bell went 10 of 16 for 140yds in less than 1 half of play with a nice little toss to finish things off. We had 130 yards of total offense at half against OSU which netted 3 points with Knight in the game. Knight is really good if we can could just play ISU and KSU every week. I'm not bagging on Knight - both our QBs have their strengths and weaknesses. One of the good things that came out of the OSU game is I guarantee Bama is now preparing for both QBs and thus splitting practice time. I hope we are willing to go with what works even if it means platooning QBs.

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 10:15 PM
If BB can play an Entire game the way He played that last 1/4 at OsEwe Im all for him getting the nod.
But Im more skeered of him Giving away the 1st 1/4 like He did all season .

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 10:24 PM
If BB can play and Entire game the way He played that last 1/4 at OsEwe Im all for him getting the nod.
But Im more skeered of him Giving away the 1st 1/4 like He did all season .

I certainly agree. I don't like the match-up of our offense against the Bama D regardless of which QB we line up. Our zone read game is worlds behind what Auburn displayed against Bama and they only scored 28pts. I say "only" because I think we'll need that much to be in the game just as Auburn did. I think part of the reason Bell was effective Saturday is because OSU spent most their time preparing for what we do with Knight. Bama has time to practice for both, but splitting their focus means they won't be as good at either (I hope).

Eielson
12/12/2013, 10:38 PM
PLAY THEM BOTH!

Therealsouthsider
12/12/2013, 10:43 PM
...nothing against Bell but people should quit referencing Notre Dame when comparing defenses to Alabama

ss

ObiKaTony
12/12/2013, 10:45 PM
Lets be honest gentlemen. Osu didn't scheme against bell which is why it was a good coaching move to put him in, even though Thompson was finding a rhythem. That being said, he should have been picked-game over.

I like bell, I think he has handled things well, but I don't think he has the legs nor the arm to get it done. Texas and Baylor were BAAAAD games, and we all know Bama is better than those d's. knights ceiling is way up there, bells was at ND and came crashing down on glass against Baylor and Texas

To say 'did to see bell against Osu!!!' I did, and he almost threw a pick, and it's the same player who looked lost and desperate against Baylor and Texas, it was the worst qb performance in quite some time. This isn't 'I hate blake bell' thread. It's 'the only chance we got against a prepares Bama team is a guy with some wheels thread...

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA983t3Rdzs

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 11:14 PM
Lets be honest gentlemen. Osu didn't scheme against bell which is why it was a good coaching move to put him in, even though Thompson was finding a rhythem. That being said, he should have been picked-game over.

I like bell, I think he has handled things well, but I don't think he has the legs nor the arm to get it done. Texas and Baylor were BAAAAD games, and we all know Bama is better than those d's. knights ceiling is way up there, bells was at ND and came crashing down on glass against Baylor and Texas

To say 'did to see bell against Osu!!!' I did, and he almost threw a pick, and it's the same player who looked lost and desperate against Baylor and Texas, it was the worst qb performance in quite some time. This isn't 'I hate blake bell' thread. It's 'the only chance we got against a prepares Bama team is a guy with some wheels thread...

Knight hasn't shown anything that would indicate sustained success against Bama. Bell has looked bad against some good defenses, but he is the only QB that has played against the good defenses. Knight has only looked good against ISU and KSU with a few flashes in other games. I just look at this game as an opportunity for the coaches to put something good together with the pieces on hand.

ObiKaTony
12/12/2013, 11:19 PM
Knight hasn't shown anything that would indicate sustained success against Bama. Bell has looked bad against some good defenses, but he is the only QB that has played against the good defenses. Knight has only looked good against ISU and KSU with a few flashes in other games. I just look at this game as an opportunity for the coaches to put something good together with the pieces on hand.

By no means am I suggesting knight is the second coming or even the tenth :). I am saying he gives us the ONLY chance at beating Bama because he can make plays with his legs...does this mean he will have success, who knows. What I do know is that Bell ain't the answer and we will get pummeled. Bama will sack, harass, and pick bell apart (along with heuple)

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2013, 11:22 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that Bama's defense is "10x" better than ours. OSU's game was a statistical outlier. Also, keep in mind that there were a handful of games where we had our defensive starters pulled by the start of the second half resulting in a few extra TDs and yards from the other team that otherwise would not have been made.

All of that said, Bama's defense is clearly better but I think the order of magnitude versus our defense is more like 2x/3x better. 5x MAYBE but 5x is a stretch.

Also, keep in mind that I don't consider Bama's offense to be as good as several OU has already faced. The problem for OU will be consistency at the QB position and the play-calling.

ObiKaTony
12/12/2013, 11:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that Bama's defense is "10x" better than ours. OSU's game was a statistical outlier. Also, keep in mind that there were a handful of games where we had our defensive starters pulled by the start of the second half resulting in a few extra TDs and yards from the other team that otherwise would not have been made.

All of that said, Bama's defense is clearly better but I think the order of magnitude versus our defense is more like 2x/3x better. 5x MAYBE but 5x is a stretch.

Also, keep in mind that I don't consider Bama's offense to be as good as several OU has already faced. The problem for OU will be consistency at the QB position and the play-calling.

I don't disagree with anything you have said. Our play calling particular on offense has been anywhere from great to suck, and it can go either way from quarter to quarter. Another reason I like knight for the game, you don't coach athletic ability...(broken plays/making plays)

Eielson
12/13/2013, 12:10 AM

I agree with the fact that we've faced better offenses than Alabama's, but I think they'll be our biggest challenge. We've struggled mightily with the run against any solid 2-dimensional offense we've played. Luckily for us, Saunders returned a punt for a TD, so we went into half tied last week. Gundy panicked and went pass-happy after that, otherwise we probably would have lost. I don't see Alabama straying too far from the run. Alabama's defense doesn't have to be much better than yours if Bell plays like he did against you. We're going to need more than 12 points.

picasso
12/13/2013, 12:38 AM

Bell inly saved our asses against Pokie.
And the rythm you say Thompson was finding wasn't exactly a winning tune.

Eielson
12/13/2013, 12:46 AM
Kendal Thompson did not have ANY rhythm.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2013, 12:55 AM
KT made one of the prettiest passes of the game on the deep out to the TE (yes, TE). But it was clear he needs more practice time. I understand the thinking of calling a deep pass on his first play. Try to catch their D thinking run with a new QB coming in the game and maybe they blow coverage. But maybe on a cold day it's just not a great idea - KT really left that one short. Easy to criticize in retrospect.

westbrooke
12/13/2013, 12:56 AM
Lets be honest gentlemen.

Well, as long as we're being honest... All of our quarterbacks are flawed. I wouldn't trust any of them to win against Bama if they had to do it alone. But to come in here bagging on Bell after that win against OSU is seriously tone deaf. I think what we've been proving all year long is that there is strength in numbers; we'll need both Knight and Bell to play, and play well, to be at our best in the Sugar Bowl.

stoopified
12/13/2013, 08:27 AM
Knight hasn't shown anything that would indicate sustained success against Bama. Bell has looked bad against some good defenses, but he is the only QB that has played against the good defenses. Knight has only looked good against ISU and KSU with a few flashes in other games. I just look at this game as an opportunity for the coaches to put something good together with the pieces on hand.Well said.

swardboy
12/13/2013, 08:30 AM
Where's the Knight that supposedly gave our D fits when he ran the practice O? Did he just feel a little more "free" in that situation? Is he developing that "freedom" in running our real offense in games? I want answers, and I want them NOW!

Therealsouthsider
12/13/2013, 08:36 AM
....Bama has had struggles with running QBs and has eaten pocket passers. I suggest we use an invisibility cloak

ss

thecrimsoncrusader
12/13/2013, 09:00 AM
I agree with the fact that we've faced better offenses than Alabama's, but I think they'll be our biggest challenge. We've struggled mightily with the run against any solid 2-dimensional offense we've played. Luckily for us, Saunders returned a punt for a TD, so we went into half tied last week. Gundy panicked and went pass-happy after that, otherwise we probably would have lost. I don't see Alabama straying too far from the run. Alabama's defense doesn't have to be much better than yours if Bell plays like he did against you. We're going to need more than 12 points.

Gundy went pass happy in the 2nd half because OU went from a 3 man front that OSU was easily running on in the first half (this was intentional by Mike Stoops and helped shorten the game and limit OSU's explosive plays in the air) to more of a 4 man front in the 2nd half, which focused more on OSU's run game and to also see if bad Chelf or good Chelf would hit his passes. Fortunately for OU, outside of one drive very late in the game, Chelf was so-so Chelf and only completed 54% of his passes. It was the right strategy by Mike Stoops and the number of points that OSU scored at home reinforces that.

ObiKaTony
12/13/2013, 09:30 AM
Well, as long as we're being honest... All of our quarterbacks are flawed. I wouldn't trust any of them to win against Bama if they had to do it alone. But to come in here bagging on Bell after that win against OSU is seriously tone deaf. I think what we've been proving all year long is that there is strength in numbers; we'll need both Knight and Bell to play, and play well, to be at our best in the Sugar Bowl.

Don't disagree with that...

If Bell played the entire game we will get destroyed...

PrideMom
12/13/2013, 11:04 AM
I place my money on the brains of Heupel. He is tireless in analyzing other teams.

dennis580
12/13/2013, 11:41 AM
Don't think people should count Bell out, but our defense will have to play really good for us to win.

8timechamps
12/13/2013, 01:01 PM
...nothing against Bell but people should quit referencing Notre Dame when comparing defenses to Alabama

ss

I wasn't "referencing" the Notre Dame game to Alabama. I was referencing the Notre Dame game to the Texas/Baylor games the OP mentioned. But, to be fair, the ND defense isn't that far off from the talent Bama has.

Eielson
12/13/2013, 05:17 PM
Where's the Knight that supposedly gave our D fits when he ran the practice O? Did he just feel a little more "free" in that situation? Is he developing that "freedom" in running our real offense in games? I want answers, and I want them NOW!

Take into consideration that that was the defense that gave up over 400 yards of offense to Tavon Austin.

picasso
12/13/2013, 05:36 PM
Gundy went pass happy in the 2nd half because OU went from a 3 man front that OSU was easily running on in the first half (this was intentional by Mike Stoops and helped shorten the game and limit OSU's explosive plays in the air) to more of a 4 man front in the 2nd half, which focused more on OSU's run game and to also see if bad Chelf or good Chelf would hit his passes. Fortunately for OU, outside of one drive very late in the game, Chelf was so-so Chelf and only completed 54% of his passes. It was the right strategy by Mike Stoops and the number of points that OSU scored at home reinforces that.
I told my brother we had a great chance if bad Chelf showed up.

Snrinhouston
12/13/2013, 07:42 PM
Which qb starts is my second concern. My first concern is the Oline. If it gets dominated by Bama's dline, the QB issue is moot; won't matter which one starts.

Therealsouthsider
12/14/2013, 09:49 AM
I wasn't "referencing" the Notre Dame game to Alabama. I was referencing the Notre Dame game to the Texas/Baylor games the OP mentioned. But, to be fair, the ND defense isn't that far off from the talent Bama has.

...wasn't picking on what you said 8x, there are fans that believe Bell can repeat the performance he had at Notre Dame against Alabama, it's my thought that the issue is more about Alabamas defensive speed than a talent gap from the Domers, Bell seems to be more methodical and mechanical whereas Knight appears quicker and more decisive...whoever starts is going to be under duress, who knows, maybe KT makes a difference

ss