PDA

View Full Version : why?

SoonerDomiNation
12/12/2013, 10:43 AM
Why has Owen feild,gaylord stadium w/e you wanna call it has never hosted a bowl game. I mean over the last years that all the newer bowls that have been put in did we not get 1. I have wondered this for years.

sooner_born_1960
12/12/2013, 10:46 AM
Why?

KantoSooner
12/12/2013, 10:49 AM
I know! Let's affiliate with USA Today, use their high school rankings and host the High School National Championship! The two 'best' High Schools could come, play at Owen Field and split a $2.5 million dollar purse. Hell, money controls all the rest of football, why should the high schools be left out?
And, if we got out in front of the thing and made it annual, forever, what a recruiting tool it would be!

SoonerDomiNation
12/12/2013, 10:51 AM
Just wondered is all. I'm bored. Seems like alot of money were missing out on and the fact that it would be a game for people that can't afford to travel to a bowl game would get to watch a game.

PrideMom
12/12/2013, 10:51 AM
Money? What would it be called? In the past people wanted to call it the Dust Bowl, but that is a bad idea, and an image Oklahoma wants no part of. Getting sponsors to support it, and then no one shows up to see a mediocre game. Many bowl games LOSE money. When OU went to the Rose Bowl, Washington State had to pay because they did not sell their allotment.

Jacie
12/12/2013, 11:07 AM
I liked the episode of Green Acres when they discovered the crop most suited to the soil there and the residents, that is everyone but Oliver, decided to host a bowl game to popularize the vegetable, the Rutabaga Bowl.

yermom
12/12/2013, 11:14 AM
it was cold enough in Stillwater last week. now you want to go deeper into winter in Norman?

who would go to the game, especially for teams no one cares about?

of course, then there is the Pinstripe Bowl. i have no idea how that works.

bowls are supposed to be in warm places :D

cvsooner
12/12/2013, 12:34 PM
Weather and attractiveness of the locale are the top selling points for a bowl game. The Oklahoma City area in late December/early January? Uh....no. There's a reason they don't have bowl games at Ohio State or Michigan with their enormous seating capacities either.

stoopified
12/12/2013, 12:36 PM
it was cold enough in Stillwater last week. now you want to go deeper into winter in Norman?

who would go to the game, especially for teams no one cares about?

of course, then there is the Pinstripe Bowl. i have no idea how that works.

bowls are supposed to be in warm places :DYeah,like the Potato Bowl in Boise.......oh, wait.I have no idea how that bowl or the Pinstripe or Independence Bowl survive.

cvsooner
12/12/2013, 04:33 PM
Boise conversely pushes the whole 'go skiing while you're here in winter wonderland' angle, plus has some serious tourism dollars sponsoring the bowl. Pinstripe Bowl has NYC going for it...yes, it's cold but you're in the Big Apple. Norman/OKC has going for it...I dunno...a Thunder game? That's about it.

The Independence Bowl...has nothing going for it, I 'll give you that, but that could be said about some of the more questionable bowls as it is.

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 04:47 PM
There's no reason, just nobody has ever had the inclination to do one in Norman. I suspect the turnout would be pretty poor (barring, of course, and Oklahoma team).

swardboy
12/12/2013, 07:09 PM
The Barry Bowl

yankee
12/13/2013, 01:32 PM
Because it's in Norman, Oklahoma...which makes the independence bowl all the more baffling.

KantoSooner
12/13/2013, 02:54 PM
To those citing OKC in the winter, I present to you......Shreveport.