PDA

View Full Version : All Big 12 Team Is BS

FaninAma
12/12/2013, 12:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

OU with 2 players on 1st or 2nd team defense and OSU with 6? Malcom Brown over Brennan Clay at 2nd team RB?

Really?

EatLeadCommie
12/12/2013, 12:36 AM
I don't really have a problem with it. Clay had good games at the beginning and end of BXII play and a lot of games in between where his numbers weren't impressive due in large part to RB by committee. Brown's numbers weren't great during BXII play, but they were comparable after a miserable first 3 games (Clay with 744, Brown with 759). Clay's YPC was much better, but Brown was the workhorse back for UT when they were winning. Our key defensive players were injured early. Striker is on there, as is Colvin.

picasso
12/12/2013, 12:52 AM
Saunders and Shep are all league players with a better QB.

soonergirlNeugene
12/12/2013, 02:30 AM
Saunders and Shep are all league players with a better QB.

That was my thought too.

OkieThunderLion
12/12/2013, 02:33 AM
The coaches All Big 12 team is better for OU.

1st team - FB Millard, C Ikard, DE Tapper, DB Colvin
2nd team - WR Saunders, LB Striker, OL Williams, K Hunnicutt

I think they nailed it.

ashley
12/12/2013, 07:43 AM
Looks about right to me.

SoonerForLife92
12/12/2013, 01:15 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. Clay had good games at the beginning and end of BXII play and a lot of games in between where his numbers weren't impressive due in large part to RB by committee. Brown's numbers weren't great during BXII play, but they were comparable after a miserable first 3 games (Clay with 744, Brown with 759). Clay's YPC was much better, but Brown was the workhorse back for UT when they were winning. Our key defensive players were injured early. Striker is on there, as is Colvin.

I see your point but if anything I think this says more about Brennan Clay's ability/consistency considering he did not start most of the year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/12/2013, 01:41 PM
Sanchez should have gotten Big 12 Newcomer over Alexander. He was arguably better than Colvin and should have snuck onto the 2nd team as a freshman. Of course, the less pub the better so he stays 4 years. Hopefully, this will drive Alexander to get better over the offseason and dominate as a sophomore.

Tapper 1st team is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, it doesn't mean a lame junior season because he is going to declare early.

SoonerForLife92
12/12/2013, 01:57 PM
Sanchez should have gotten Big 12 Newcomer over Alexander. He was arguably better than Colvin and should have snuck onto the 2nd team as a freshman. Of course, the less pub the better so he stays 4 years. Hopefully, this will drive Alexander to get better over the offseason and dominate as a sophomore.

Tapper 1st team is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, it doesn't mean a lame junior season because he is going to declare early.

Can't wait to see Phillips next year too.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 02:00 PM

Totally agree on Sanchez. Teams went after him often and he made a bunch of plays. And when he did get beat, he had that short memory that DBs require. I think Colvin got a life-time achievement award. I have no problem with that as I think seniors should get recognition for sticking around and he has been very consistent. He just seemed to be dinged up all year and never in top form.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/12/2013, 02:03 PM
Sanchez has the look of a junior or senior Jim Thorpe Award winner. I think Taylor will be in that realm as well when it's all said and done with.

Eielson
12/12/2013, 02:15 PM
I hate seeing OSU snatching people like Lowe and Barnett from us. I know Tulsa is technically closer to Stillwater, but I still consider that our backyard.

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 04:58 PM
Clay and Saunders deserved a spot (at least 2nd team). Otherwise, Ii didn't really have an issue with the selections.

We're still very young overall, and I suspect our guys will be all over the list in the next couple of years.

Eielson
12/12/2013, 05:12 PM
Saunders was on 2nd team wasn't he? Or was I looking at a different list? I wanted Saunders on first team, but it's hard to argue with Lockett or the Baylor guys.

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 05:14 PM
Saunders was on 2nd team wasn't he? Or was I looking at a different list? I wanted Saunders on first team, but it's hard to argue with Lockett or the Baylor guys.

I looked at the list yesterday (via ESPN), and he wasn't on it. Is he there now?

I think Lockett deserved 1st team honors at WR, but I'd think they could put Saunders in the "all purpose" position.

EDIT: I see his on the second team list.

It's weird, because the list I saw yesterday was just 1st and 2nd team, and he wasn't on there.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2013, 05:15 PM
I agree on Sanchez as well..I know Alexander got a lot of props for his tackles against Texas, but I think tackles is an overblown stat..

FaninAma
12/12/2013, 06:57 PM

Brennan out rushed him by over 200 yards. Probably caught more passes, too. So what criteria are you using to compare the 2?

FaninAma
12/12/2013, 07:00 PM
Looks about right to me.

Really. OU had the better defense statistically in regards to total yardage and pass efficiency defense. OSU forced more turnovers and had a lower points scored against average. But 3 times as many 1st and 2nd teamers as OU on defense? Don't think so.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/12/2013, 08:09 PM
Really. OU had the better defense statistically in regards to total yardage and pass efficiency defense. OSU forced more turnovers and had a lower points scored against average. But 3 times as many 1st and 2nd teamers as OU on defense? Don't think so.

Who do you pick for OU? The list is so senior laden it isn't even funny. And no offense, but our seniors outside of Colvin, weren't very good. Heck, I'm surprised we snuck 2 sophomores on there much less our freshmen (even though Sanchez was probably the 3rd-4th best corner in the conference this year).

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 08:41 PM
I don't watch enough of the other teams' games to judge. I figure if Tapper, Striker, Sanchez, Saunders and Hunnicutt got listed, then they got our highest impact players. I would love to see Shepard in there too. Millard and Colvin were great seniors with consistent careers. I have no doubt Clay would have made it if had averaged 20 touches a game, but he only got ~14.

FaninAma
12/12/2013, 11:51 PM
Who do you pick for OU? The list is so senior laden it isn't even funny. And no offense, but our seniors outside of Colvin, weren't very good. Heck, I'm surprised we snuck 2 sophomores on there much less our freshmen (even though Sanchez was probably the 3rd-4th best corner in the conference this year).
Sanchez, Striker, Tapper, Colvin on defense.
Saunders, Ikard, Clay, Millard on offense.
Hunnicut over Fero as the kicker.

Eielson
12/13/2013, 12:11 AM

I'm pretty sure all but Sanchez made it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/13/2013, 12:41 AM
Saunders, Ikard, Clay, Millard on offense.
Hunnicut over Fero as the kicker.

Saunders was 10th in the league in receiving yards. Way below that in yards per and TDs. Where he killed people was special teams.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2013, 12:50 AM
Saunders was 10th in the league in receiving yards. Way below that in yards per and TDs. Where he killed people was special teams.

His stats were definitely a reflection of our QB struggles in the passing game. I know it's not all on the QBs, but it's pretty clear from last season what Saunders can do. Same goes for Shepard.

stoopified
12/13/2013, 09:47 AM
Saunders and Shep are all league players with a better passer at QB. fify

Eielson
12/13/2013, 12:58 PM
His stats were definitely a reflection of our QB struggles in the passing game. I know it's not all on the QBs, but it's pretty clear from last season what Saunders can do. Same goes for Shepard.

Saunders would have put up Broyles-esque numbers if Landry were still here.

Scott D
12/13/2013, 01:40 PM
What I'd be more interested in with any "team" like this is how it compared to their pre-season "teams"

cvsooner
12/13/2013, 02:20 PM
I looked at the list yesterday (via ESPN), and he wasn't on it. Is he there now?

I think Lockett deserved 1st team honors at WR, but I'd think they could put Saunders in the "all purpose" position.

EDIT: I see his on the second team list.

It's weird, because the list I saw yesterday was just 1st and 2nd team, and he wasn't on there.

You may be confusing the AP Big 12 team, which doesn't have Saunders, with the Big 12 coaches team, which does...two separate listings that came out a day or two apart.