PDA

View Full Version : intepreter at Nelson Mandela FAKE..

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2013, 07:11 PM
wow...sad and actually funny...I was watching and it was like a bad snl skit. The dude made some crazy motions...
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/world/africa/mandela-memorial-fake-intepreter/

Jacie
12/11/2013, 07:25 PM
Not only that but the guy was vetted by the Secret Service that was supplied the names of everyone who was going to be in the enclosure with the diplomats 48 hours ahead of time.

Apparently, they only checked that he was not a security risk.

Turd_Ferguson
12/11/2013, 07:28 PM
The US probably gave them 30 million dollars to make sure there was a signer there for the death peeps.

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2013, 07:47 PM
the dude has done several big time things in Africa...can't believe he made it through...what an idiot.

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 07:41 AM
'Fake' deaf signer at Mandela event claims mental illness

Now he sayin he was mentally Ill LMFAO

http://news.yahoo.com/mandela-memorial-sign-language-interpreter-39-fraud-39-004855924.html

KantoSooner
12/12/2013, 09:35 AM
Mandela, Biko, that whole generation knew they had to be better just to have a shot, so they worked their asses off. The generation of Jacob Zuma and his ilk, even if they were involved before Mandela's release, have never had to work very hard for anything. They're political time servers.
It does not bode well for S.A.'s future.

badger
12/12/2013, 09:48 AM
Is it a trend for signers to be faking or changing things up? Remember that BBC had issues with a signer recently. (http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/08/17/bbc-sign-language-interpreter-sacked-for-changing-the-news/)

Or perhaps, it's just very difficult to keep up with spoken words when signing, especially if you don't know what's going to be said ahead of time. I attended an event in Tulsa with signers (two took turns) and when they started singing a song, the signer was just lost after awhile, trying to figure out what words were being sung

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 05:26 PM
I can't decide if this guy was really having a mental breakdown, or if he's the worlds best troll. Either way, it makes me laugh.

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 05:53 PM
I can't decide if this guy was really having a mental breakdown, or if he's the worlds best troll. Either way, it makes me laugh.

heh a fake signing for a Fake.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/13/2013, 01:45 AM
yes, but what does this say about the Secret Service and their ability to protect. That organization appears riddled with incompetence or poor judgement. Maybe time to clear house in this organization,

FaninAma
12/13/2013, 09:26 AM
Mandela, Biko, that whole generation knew they had to be better just to have a shot, so they worked their asses off. The generation of Jacob Zuma and his ilk, even if they were involved before Mandela's release, have never had to work very hard for anything. They're political time servers.
It does not bode well for S.A.'s future.

Sadly. Mandela's legacy in SA will not keep the country from sliding back into violence and corruption.

KantoSooner
12/13/2013, 09:42 AM
Let's hope not, but there's certainly a strong possibility that that is where this whole thing ends.

badger
12/13/2013, 10:17 AM

There is no doubt that he was a troll, and also the ones who hired him are completely unaware of how signing works. You can't have one guy do it for four hours. It's not like motormouths who can talk nonstop until the entire congregation gets up and walks out. Arms gets tired faster!

KantoSooner
12/13/2013, 11:12 AM
So, you're asserting that hands tire faster than tongues? Not that I'd argue, per se, but I'm just surprised to see the point made so bluntly. Still, best to face these things head on.

badger
12/13/2013, 11:55 AM
So, you're asserting that hands tire faster than tongues? Not that I'd argue, per se, but I'm just surprised to see the point made so bluntly. Still, best to face these things head on.

In general, yes, I'd assert that.

Let's say that an interpreter was translating from English to Chinese, not English to Sign Language. I'd think that a Chinese interpreter could go the entire four-hour memorial. However, it is standard for a Sign Language interpreter to switch out every 20 minutes (two taking turns is what I've seen at events in the past).

Keep in mind that this is not a boxer repeatedly throwing punches, a ping pong player hitting a ball back to an opponent repeatedly, or a prophet holding his hands high so that the Israelites keep winning the war --- Sign Language, at least with quality interpreters and not troll fakers, involves clear, deliberate motions while mouthing the words silently for added clarity.