PDA

View Full Version : Any inside info those-in-the-know you'd like to share?

Jacie
12/11/2013, 10:24 AM
We are on the verge of seeing the last hurrah of the BCS.

From what I can piece together the BCS succeeded the Bowl Alliance which succeeded the Bowl Coalition which was formed by the big six conferences to produce a national champion in division 1 football.

Controversies over specific years concerning which teams would play for the championship aside, the part about the BCS that has always bothered me is the money, specifically, the money the BCS kept for itself.

The BCS bowl games generated a lot of money. Despite the amounts paid to the participating teams, the executives who ran things profited handsomely for their efforts.

So now that the BCS is coming to an end, will the participating teams see a greater share of the money that a playoff will generate or did we merely replace one set of greedy bastards with another?

SoonerMarkVA
12/11/2013, 10:52 AM
or did we merely replace one set of greedy bastards with another?

You can be sure this is the answer.

ouduckhunter
12/11/2013, 10:57 AM
or did we merely replace one set of greedy bastards with another?

You can be sure this is the answer.

Ditto. Power corrupts!

Ruf/Nek7
12/11/2013, 01:08 PM
BCS is technically nowhere near an end. The BCS system is still deciding the top 4. It is from there, the playoff will take off. Eventually, a bigger playoff will be implemented and I honestly hold on to the prospect of 6 super conferences that will send the top team to represent each conference in a 6 team playoff. Then and only then will the BCS be completely removed.

Jacie
12/11/2013, 03:18 PM
BCS is technically nowhere near an end. The BCS system is still deciding the top 4.

Now I am depressed to hear that. I thought with the likes of Condoleeza Rice and others there was not going to be the Fat Cat Executives Who Decide What's What In College Football Club anymore.

Silly me.

badger
12/11/2013, 03:24 PM
Now I am depressed to hear that. I thought with the likes of Condoleeza Rice and others there was not going to be the Fat Cat Executives Who Decide What's What In College Football Club anymore.

Silly me.

I believe that you're correct, but I doubt that polls will just end just because the 1 vs 2 is now a 1 vs 4/2 vs 3/winner vs winner.

It was not just BCS bowls that were rolling in dough while schools saw paltry payouts and crazy high costs, but all bowls. And there's going to be even more (39 up from 33 if I'm not mistaken) next postseason.

Empty stadium and no profit? Who cares, schools and conferences demand them because that's what keeps coaches from being ex-coaches and schools in the football conversation.

rock on sooner
12/11/2013, 03:26 PM
BCS is technically nowhere near an end. The BCS system is still deciding the top 4. It is from there, the playoff will take off. Eventually, a bigger playoff will be implemented and I honestly hold on to the prospect of 6 super conferences that will send the top team to represent each conference in a 6 team playoff. Then and only then will the BCS be completely removed.

You're close to right...imo, the six conferences plus next two top rated
(by the BCS or something similar) will be seeded one thru eight with one
vs eight, two vs seven and so on. Or, if just the six then top two will
get byes, three vs six and four vs five with one getting the lower remaining
seed and two the other, the winners play for NC. Somewhere toward the
2025 time frame it will evolve into a 16 team playoff and, finally, we'll get
a true national champ versus the mythical one.....

8timechamps
12/11/2013, 03:51 PM
The BCS, as we know it, will die on January 6th, 2014. There will be polls, but the selection committee will be the absolute most important factor.

Jace, if you haven't, check out the book Death of the BCS. You will learn a lot about how the bowls work (not just the BCS), and it's pretty sickening. In a nutshell, unless you make it to one of the top 5-7 bowl games, you (the school/team) will probably lose money on the deal. The worst part is that the bowl's make a lot of money (even the little ones). The money goes into a fund for the bowl, and that fund pays the bowl executives. These "executives" do very, very little, and some are paid in the high 6 figure range.

Under the new system, I'm not sure that really changes at all. At some point though, the AD's (I'm not relying on the NCAA) will wise up and take over the whole thing. Then, and only then, will the schools really profit from all of this.

Jacie
12/11/2013, 04:00 PM
Well sh*t of f*cking dear, I think I am going to rent me a stadium, a couple of highschools up here have facilities that will seat several hundred, maybe more if we erect temporary bleachers in the endzone or on the visiting fan side (none of em bother with seats on both sides, such is the state of highschool football in a part of the world where the best athletes are on ice skates shooting pucks through most of football season) and start me a bowl game.

I will accept suggestions for a catchy name from SF posters. The poster who submits the winning name gets to be in the broadcast booth. Imagine it! I am going to ask Lee Corso to do play-by-play! Let's see, I am thinking we can schedule it for December 20, 2014, gives me a year to get everything set up. Anyone got the phone number to ESPN? I have to order some those cameras, the kind that do slow motion, instant replay, that sort of thing.

This is gonna be good and I am going to be stinkin rich!

Ruf/Nek7
12/12/2013, 12:46 PM
Well sh*t of f*cking dear, I think I am going to rent me a stadium, a couple of highschools up here have facilities that will seat several hundred, maybe more if we erect temporary bleachers in the endzone or on the visiting fan side (none of em bother with seats on both sides, such is the state of highschool football in a part of the world where the best athletes are on ice skates shooting pucks through most of football season) and start me a bowl game.

I will accept suggestions for a catchy name from SF posters. The poster who submits the winning name gets to be in the broadcast booth. Imagine it! I am going to ask Lee Corso to do play-by-play! Let's see, I am thinking we can schedule it for December 20, 2014, gives me a year to get everything set up. Anyone got the phone number to ESPN? I have to order some those cameras, the kind that do slow motion, instant replay, that sort of thing.

The Toilet Bowl!

birddog
12/12/2013, 01:38 PM
Ditto. Power corrupts!

And gives us more meaningful fball!!

8timechamps
12/12/2013, 05:02 PM

Since I know you'll name me assistant bowl director (with a hefty salary), I suggest you start with something like "GridIron Bowl", or "Legends Bowl"...to really fluff the fact that it's a tiny, lame bowl. Then, after a year or so, pick up the biggest sponsor available. I don't care what it is, just the highest offer. So, it could be the "Tampax Legends Bowl". Then, after another year or two, just sell the entire name to the highest bidder, like ESPN did. The "Summer's Eve Bowl". Sit back, and rake in the cash!

Jacie
12/12/2013, 07:16 PM
Since I know you'll name me assistant bowl director (with a hefty salary), I suggest . . .

You are exactly what I need, a man with vision. Of course, our salaries will have to come off the top, then we can consider the payouts to the participating teams. We will conservatively set them in the low 6 figures to start.

soonergirlNeugene
12/13/2013, 08:29 PM
I'm glad we're going to have 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, so that is a nice improvement, but anyone who follows college football knows that it's never just between 4 teams as we have 5 "power" conferences and the occasional spoiler coming from one of the smaller conferences in the mix every year. I also have a lot of concern about this selection committee. It may well turn out to be a bigger farce than the BCS as it seems to be even more susceptible to the court of public opinion which ESPN plays a large role in influencing. We either need a full on 8-16 team playoff or we should just go back to our old bowl system. Mandel over at SI did an analysis of how the games would have turned out under that system and came up w/ the following:

• Rose: Stanford-Michigan State
• Orange: Florida State-Alabama
• Sugar: Auburn-Ohio State
• Cotton: Baylor-Oregon
• Fiesta: Arizona State-Oklahoma

Those games would be more fun to watch imo!

Statalyzer
12/14/2013, 10:55 AM
Those are some nice games, and then FSU loses and we have Auburn & Alabama splitting a title or some similar BS like that....