PDA

View Full Version : So, um, yeah...about Kansas

8timechamps
12/10/2013, 09:35 PM
Just lost their third game (of the last four they've played).

Granted, Florida isn't a bad team, but still KU was expected to be really good this year.

KU may not be all they were hyped to be preseason. Which, leaves OSU as probably the only 'elite' team in the conference this year. Of course, a lot can happen between now and the end of the year, but it's not off to a good start for the Jayhawks.

Last four games:

Villinova L 59-63
UTEP W 67-63
Colorado L 75-72
Florida L 67-61

KU lost to one team that I think is comparable to OU (Florida), and two that I think OU beats (Nova and Colorado). I think a split with the Jayhawks is realistic this year. Now, if we can take care of ISU and Baylor, we could be in really good position...but, I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Salt City Sooner
12/11/2013, 01:08 AM
They're pretty much the last team I'd defend, but in such, they're playing a whole lot of young guys. Their top 5 scorers are 4 freshmen & a sophomore. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to stay as mediocre as they've shown to this point.

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2013, 10:01 AM
They're pretty much the last team I'd defend, but in such, they're playing a whole lot of young guys. Their top 5 scorers are 4 freshmen & a sophomore. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to stay as mediocre as they've shown to this point.

exactly...living in KC, ku is here what most of y'all feel about osu down there....come March or earlier they'll be really good. Not saying we can't split with them, but they are still very capable, they are just really young. If Wiggins decides to be selfish he'll be almost unstoppable.

Now that Jalen is out 4-6 weeks...that'll hurt as well.

badger
12/11/2013, 12:10 PM
I apologize for missing all of the delicious Big 12 losses as of late in the meltdown thing. I posted KU's and WVU's from last nite. Sadly, missed the OKLAST and other two KU loses, but based on early findings, there will be more later this season, hopefully against us :)

How bout them KSU Wildcats? They really put the doom in that octagon, don't they? Nearly lost last night to South Dakota somebody.

Not sure if it's still a fact or if we've slipped back after yesterday, but Big 12 had the highest RPI of any conference, according to ESPN during the KU/UF game. B1G was second. We were something like 0.61 and they were something like 0.59

8timechamps
12/11/2013, 03:43 PM

Oh, I'm sure they'll be just fine down the line, but being young is no longer really an excuse for the elite teams. In this day of one and done, having 4 freshman (especially when one of them is arguably the best player in the country) shouldn't be a reason for a team like KU to drop 3 of 4.

Look back at what Kentucky did a couple of years ago, the youth movement is commonplace in today's college hoops.

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2013, 04:52 PM
true, I think once Higgins decides to be a little more selfish and realize this is HIS team he'll step up. Just my 2 cents worth

8timechamps
12/11/2013, 05:26 PM
true, I think once Higgins decides to be a little more selfish and realize this is HIS team he'll step up. Just my 2 cents worth

Yeah, it looks like he's trying really hard to be a team player. That's very admirable for the kid, but sometimes, when you're that good, you have to be a little more selfish.

Salt City Sooner
12/11/2013, 08:17 PM
Oh, I'm sure they'll be just fine down the line, but being young is no longer really an excuse for the elite teams. In this day of one and done, having 4 freshman (especially when one of them is arguably the best player in the country) shouldn't be a reason for a team like KU to drop 3 of 4.

Look back at what Kentucky did a couple of years ago, the youth movement is commonplace in today's college hoops.
Sans Wiggins though, these guys aren't one & out caliber though. That Kentucky team you're referring to was absolutely loaded to the gills (6 were drafted & only 1 was above a soph. scholastically) & would have this team crying for their mommas by the time they got done with them, & I include later in the year in that, when this KU team should be gelled a bit better.

Keep in mind, this is what KU lost off last year's team:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2305/year/2013/kansas-jayhawks

badger
12/12/2013, 09:28 AM
I'm sure Bill Self will right that ship, because that's what he does... despite them having about the same postseason take up there that we have on Bob Stoops here... will be win our bowl game? Will we ever win a championship game, or are we stuck being above average forever? whooooo knowwwws

Eielson
12/12/2013, 04:35 PM
They'll be fine. I watched the Villanova game, and they just came out flat. I watched them claw back the whole second half, never once doubting they'd come back, but then Villanova hit a couple shots late and pulled it out. Losing to Colorado puzzles me, but losing to Florida isn't a huge deal at this point in the season. Don't forget that they also beat Duke. They're really young, and they'll improve as the year goes on. Even those disgustingly loaded Kentucky teams haven't usually started nearly as strongly as they've finished. Those Kentucky teams aren't a fair comparison, though, because they were way more talented. Didn't Bledsoe come off the bench for them?

I think this does pose a major question to the title contention legitimacy, but they'll still be a great team. I don't think anybody but OSU will contend with them for the conference.

badger
12/13/2013, 10:00 AM
When I went to KU's scout board for their latest post-loss meltdown (a lot of namecalling children disguised as adults, hehe) and they all seem to think that beating OU in 4 weeks is a sure thing.

Here's hoping we go all all TCU on them. Where's your sure-thing Big 12 win now, looooooserrrrrsssss

CowboyMRW
12/14/2013, 07:08 PM
They are very long, quick, and athletic. They do struggle with outside shooting though so if teams can zone them, they will go through periods of droughts.

Wiggins seems to be settling down though and adjusting to the speed of the game.

They might not win the Big 12 this year but I guarantee that no one will want to play them in March.

8timechamps
12/14/2013, 07:43 PM
They are very long, quick, and athletic. They do struggle with outside shooting though so if teams can zone them, they will go through periods of droughts.

Wiggins seems to be settling down though and adjusting to the speed of the game.

They might not win the Big 12 this year but I guarantee that no one will want to play them in March.

March? I'm not excited to play them in January. Same for OSU. You guys have a really good team this year.

Soonerjeepman
12/15/2013, 12:28 PM
March? I'm not excited to play them in January. Same for OSU. You guys have a really good team this year.

times 2...

CowboyMRW
12/15/2013, 02:43 PM

We haven't won in Norman since our Final 4 year and something tells me it won't happen this year. We are athletic and defend pretty well, but we can be beat on the boards and if our shots aren't falling, we don't really have much of a half court offense.

8timechamps
12/15/2013, 09:34 PM
We haven't won in Norman since our Final 4 year and something tells me it won't happen this year. We are athletic and defend pretty well, but we can be beat on the boards and if our shots aren't falling, we don't really have much of a half court offense.

That's one thing about college hoops, it's really hard to be a decent team on the road (and I say decent, because it doesn't have to be a 'great' team). Of course I want OU to win all of their games, but I don't think we are at the same level as OSU right now. Like you said though, if shots aren't falling, you never know.

Surprisingly, we've played the middle pretty well this year. I say surprisingly, because we lack any real size down there. So, if we were to beat the Pokes on the boards, that would really help the effort.

CowboyMRW
1/2/2014, 02:29 PM
Congrats to Kansas on another Big 12. Cobbins and most likely Clark have turned this F4 contender to who knows.

badger
1/2/2014, 02:37 PM
The Big 12 is wide open, Poke dude. You guys could still win it, Iowa State could still win it, West Virginia could come out of nowhere and win it... hell, Rick Barnes' whorns could win it.

Does that mean OU can win it? No, OU cannot beat Louisiana Tech at home, so therefore, OU cannot win the Big 12. That should be a legal disclaimer on the trophy: Lose to La Tech at home, no trophies for you. You can win the national championship, but no trophy will be issued due to the fact that La Tech beat you at home. Sorry, Sooners. Maybe the banner company will make an exception, but the trophy company will NOT

Soonerjeepman
1/2/2014, 03:22 PM
what started out as a possible 9 deep rotation has dwindled to 7. That does not help OU's running offense. Hopefully LK can trust some bench guys and give them more time.

badger
1/2/2014, 05:27 PM
what started out as a possible 9 deep rotation has dwindled to 7. That does not help OU's running offense. Hopefully LK can trust some bench guys and give them more time.

Running offense? hell, do we have a running DEFENSE?! :(

kbsooner21
1/2/2014, 05:30 PM
Congrats to Kansas on another Big 12. Cobbins and most likely Clark have turned this F4 contender to who knows.

You were handicapped from the beginning with that coach of yours. Cobbins out will hurt no doubt, but they weren't going to win the Big 12 or make much noise in the dance with them with Ford. Worst coach in the league.

badger
1/3/2014, 09:24 AM
You were handicapped from the beginning with that coach of yours. Cobbins out will hurt no doubt, but they weren't going to win the Big 12 or make much noise in the dance with them with Ford. Worst coach in the league.

I'm not even sure Ford can hold em back this year. They have a very good team and I hope we play game-of-life mode against them in Norman to ensure their annual loss to us :stunned:

CowboyMRW
1/4/2014, 01:56 PM

Why do you consider him the worst in the league?

He's taken Markel Brown and made him into All Big 12. Cobbins was Defensive All Big 12 last year. We score out of every timeout which is a direct result of coaching.

He's unjustifiably labeled in message board land as a "bad" coach.... I really think this has to do with a couple things:

1. When he first got to OSU, he tended to be a little mouthy on the sidelines and he kind of looks like that little ****** bag that we've all known at one point or another.
2. So because of that, people outside of the program (and many OSU fans) just didn't want to like him, but his first two OSU teams made the tournament and were decent teams, so the conventional wisdom was that Ford looks like a punk but he can coach OK.
3. Then in his 3rd and 4th year, his disastrous first recruiting class killed OSU and we had two really bad years. The CW changed to "Ford's a punk and he sucks." This coincided with him landing his first "big time" recruit (Nash) who was billed as a "one-and-done" guy, but in reality was far from it. Those two factors just confirmed for people that "Ford can recruit but can't coach."

The reality of the situation was that the OSU team in 2010-11, when Nash was a freshman, was probably the most talent- and experienced-deficient OSU team in 15 years. Eddie Sutton would have been lucky to eek out a winning record with that group.

So then the next year, Ford adds Smart, Forte and Murphy to a team that finally has some experience and depth and he gets us back in the tournament.

This year, he finally has a team that, in terms of the full roster, rivals some of Eddie's best teams, in terms of talent and experience and we're a top 5/10 type team.

Ford isn't Eddie Sutton or Bill Self, but he can coach.

Eielson
1/4/2014, 05:31 PM
I don't think Ford is bad enough to sabotage a team as talented as OSU's. He's not good, though. He's pretty average, and he's coaching in a conference filled with coaches that are above average (but not great). He's kinda floating around there with Weber and Johnson, so I think he ranks between 8-10. Any Big XII coach can win it all if given the right players (Deron Williams, Dee Brown, and Luther Head for example), but none of the coaches are good enough to win the conference with a team filled with average talent.

CowboyMRW
1/4/2014, 06:41 PM
Well starting off in a hole. Stevie being suspended really, really hurt us. We needed him today. Have fun on the road tonight. Big 12 refs are still the most inconsistent from possession to possession.

King Crimson
1/4/2014, 09:30 PM
i don't think Ford is as bad as others say. seems he can't build a roster through the program which would concern me. it's one thing to be Calipari or whoever and one and done your way though life....but OSU ain't Kentucky.

i also disagree with 8 time in the original post. i don't think Colorado is a team we should beat. they are pretty good. they are as good as us. at least. he will know what i am saying here....since we both live in the CO. i like Boyle a lot. i like Lon and he's been worth all the money we spent imo. i'm a Sooner fan all the way through since i was born.....but, i live in Boulder and i think they are better than us right now. not a "should or would beat".

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 10:51 PM
i don't think Ford is as bad as others say. seems he can't build a roster through the program which would concern me. it's one thing to be Calipari or whoever and one and done your way though life....but OSU ain't Kentucky.

i also disagree with 8 time in the original post. i don't think Colorado is a team we should beat. they are pretty good. they are as good as us. at least. he will know what i am saying here....since we both live in the CO. i like Boyle a lot. i like Lon and he's been worth all the money we spent imo. i'm a Sooner fan all the way through since i was born.....but, i live in Boulder and i think they are better than us right now. not a "should or would beat".

When I originally wrote that, I felt like we could beat the Buffs. Now, I'm not as confident (but I still think we'd give them everything they wanted). The question is; will they be able to do anything in the tourney? They've had some pretty good squads over the years, but nver seem to stick around the dance too long. Guess we'll see. Regardless, they did look good against a pretty decent Oregon team.

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 10:54 PM
Back to KU; who lost their 4th game of the season yesterday (to San Diego State). SDSU is a good team, and shouldn't have taken the Jayhawks by surprise. But, they pretty much controlled the game, for the entire game. KU missed some big time free throws down the stretch, and never looked like they would take the win. The only real surprise is that the loss came at home for KU.

Maybe the Jayhawks will find that chemistry over the next month or two, but if they don't, things could get ugly because the Big XII appear to be loaded with good teams. (West Virginia, TCU and Tech are the exceptions).

badger
1/7/2014, 08:56 AM
Let us pretend that it is a football game and beat them soundly and unquestionably (I know that technically they led us at halftime this year in football and nearly beat us the year before... don't let facts sway this powerful argument!)

Eielson
1/8/2014, 01:31 AM
I think we'll take 1 of the 2 games this week. I don't think the team we beat will be ISU.

CowboyMRW
1/8/2014, 07:58 AM
I think we'll take 1 of the 2 games this week. I don't think the team we beat will be ISU.

ISU looks like the best team in the conference. The mayor has really turned that program around.

Eielson
1/8/2014, 03:12 PM
ISU looks like the best team in the conference. The mayor has really turned that program around.

My thoughts exactly. I think they'll drop 2 or 3 games on the road just because we have such a strong conference, but I don't see them losing any home games this year. They looked like a 1 seed last night. I'd love to have a guy like Kane.

badger
1/8/2014, 03:17 PM
We must beat Kansas. Shall we pelt them with footballs, sneak poison into their sunflowers, or shower them with hate picket signs

Eielson
1/13/2014, 11:30 PM
My thoughts exactly. I think they'll drop 2 or 3 games on the road just because we have such a strong conference, but I don't see them losing any home games this year. They looked like a 1 seed last night. I'd love to have a guy like Kane.

That didn't take long to crumble. Whoops...

badger
1/14/2014, 11:07 AM
I really hope somebody can beat them if we can't. TCU, you up for the task again this season? :D

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 11:22 AM

My brother just bought a townhome in Boulder. Moved there in Aug of 2012 after a divorce. Snowboards, bikes (mainly motor)...has a green 4 door JK, lifted, bumpers, flat fenders etc...software engineer guy....just an fyi...lol.

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 11:25 AM
ku is looking strong, unfortunately. They have all the talent....just needs kicked in the a$$. If we can play to our level, we are one of the top 4 teams...ku, osu, isu, us..bu, ksu ut next...wv, tt and good lord tcu is HORRIBLE...

badger
1/14/2014, 12:41 PM
I really think they will get TCU'd again this season. Someone out there needs a signature win in the Big 12, whether its WVU (will Huggie EVER have them respectable again?), Tech (Tubby needs a sig win in his inaugural Tech season!) or, yes, TCU.

I, of course, would love for us to win in Lawrence. Then, we can steal the original Naismith rules on the way out :P

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 02:17 PM
or give the Billy Tubbs we're number 1 sign~

badger
1/14/2014, 02:27 PM
or give the Billy Tubbs we're number 1 sign~

While singing the OU Chant? The thought of doing such a horrendous act of disrespect for some reason makes me giddy, probably because it involves beating KU in Lawrence

Salt City Sooner
1/14/2014, 05:19 PM
Ironic that the last time we won there ('93) was one of Billy's more mediocre squads.

I'm still not over that epic choke job in '06. OU SO had that game.

Piware
1/19/2014, 04:37 PM
KU was good enough to kick Poke backsides yesterday. Not to worry, Poke fans have broken out their time honored "We were cheated by the refs" excuse. Some things just never change.

Eielson
1/19/2014, 05:15 PM
KU was running away with it in the first half, but OSU mounted a massive comeback in the 2nd half, so it was actually a really close game.

Piware
1/19/2014, 07:46 PM
KU was running away with it in the first half, but OSU mounted a massive comeback in the 2nd half, so it was actually a really close game. I watched the game too. They dug themselves a hole and the second half was a whole different ballgame. The first half was a joke for the Pokies and the comeback was really something. I just don't understand why they are always "cheated" by something/someone.

But then again - they are the Pokes, aren't they?