PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing I've done as a father...

ouwasp
12/10/2013, 11:51 AM
Son just informed me a few minutes ago. He's home from college and I'm home because my school has a snow day. So in between Band of Brothers episodes, we're preparing peanut butter sandwiches. I'm a creamy guy... but about 10 yrs ago I got a jar of crunchy on a whim.

So now my 20 yr old son still berates me for depriving him of crunchy peanut butter for half his life. Guess this will haunt him forever. Oh well.

Easy Co is jumping on Normandy now. I'll try to smother my guilt with a WWII miniseries.

KantoSooner
12/10/2013, 12:27 PM
When we did the big family vacay to Europe, we made my daughter go see museums and cathedrals and never once told her that EuroDisney existed. She has never gotten over the trauma.

She's 21, maybe our kids could go on a date?

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2013, 12:55 PM
wow...I won't say~

8timechamps
12/10/2013, 02:49 PM
No, you did a service holding out on crunchy. Creamy all the way!

P.S.- Snow day, Band of Brothers marathon with your son...sounds like a great day! I'm jealous.

badger
12/10/2013, 03:28 PM
I'm depriving my daughter of most candy, cookies and cake-like things. She can have cookies at the neighbor's and one piece of chocolate each day from her Advent calendar, but what's up with people feeding toddler's M&M's like they're healthy or something?!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2013, 03:38 PM
^ Badger is a dad..who knew?

KantoSooner
12/10/2013, 03:47 PM
Badger, you're doing the right thing for her. Keep the junk food to a minimum.

As her tastes expand, you need to introduce the bacon group. I'd start with something non-controversial, like, Canadian. Then you can work her over to normal and normal smoked, then maybe a bit of Arkansas back bacon. Perhaps some Italian pancetta on a holiday. Of course during the Sugar Bowl, it's de rigeuer to have Cajun tasso. Pepper bacon should be avoided until she's a bit older. Kind of a gateway drug, really.

It's really never too early to start with bacon.

Bacon: A Food, A Friend For Life.

badger
12/10/2013, 04:04 PM
^ Badger is a dad..who knew?
I know, right? NP doesn't post anymore, so I need to fill both roles :P

you need to introduce the bacon group

oh dear lawrdy lord lord

salth2o
12/10/2013, 04:10 PM
Creamy Jiff is the only peanut butter I'll eat.

KantoSooner
12/10/2013, 05:12 PM
oh dear lawrdy lord lord

That's 'Praise the Lard', I'll have you know.

badger
12/10/2013, 05:23 PM
Peanut butter of youth story: My brother didn't eat most meats, so mom had him on peanut butter. Since our parents were frugal (not cheapskates, but not spendthrifts either), mom liked to test how far down the generic aisle we could go while still on the side of edible. On one of these trips down save-a-few-cents boulevard, she found a white bucket of peanut butter, complete with matching white bucket handle.

So, we not only have generic knockoff peanut butter in the house, we have a large economy size quantity of it, and it tasted awful (I don't recall if it was creamy or chunky). Mom's usual "It's the same thing" generic pitch didn't work on either of us kids, but fortunately for me, I had meat to fall back on for protein

stoopified
12/17/2013, 08:02 AM
:)
^ Badger is a dad..who knew? :)

stoopified
12/17/2013, 08:09 AM
I'm a horrible father,I have an ironclad rule that my boys (Ryan 9 , Jason 6) cannot more than one soda per day.To be fair I hold myself to the same rule., My biggest sin is banning the color orange from our home.

KantoSooner
12/17/2013, 09:26 AM
Now, wait just a second on that orange ban. What about Orange Crush, the undisputed KING of soda's.

olevetonahill
12/17/2013, 10:10 AM
I barely tolerate the Fruit in my shack let alone anything else that Puke color.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/17/2013, 10:18 AM
Made my kids go to church until they were 13.