PDA

View Full Version : Our record against the SEC

jkjsooner
12/10/2013, 10:52 AM
I know none of the coaches or players are going to concede a loss to Bama nor should they.

That being said, the reality is that they are a much more deep and talented team than we are. The odds are clearly against us.

The unfortunate side effect is that if we lose this will be used yet again against OU and Stoops to show that we can't beat the SEC. It's really unfortunate because nobody in their right mind claims that OU is on Alabama's level right now. I think FSU is the only team I would consider better than Alabama this year.

Our record against the SEC must be put in the proper context. We're not playing Mississippi State or even South Carolina or Georgia in these games. Aside from the A&M game, we're playing SEC championship teams in national title games and those games have all been very competitive.

badger
12/10/2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah, if the SEC wants to compare records let's schedule an annual beatdown of Kentucky (except Bob wouldn't do that since brother Mark is coaching there)

picasso
12/10/2013, 10:53 AM
Well it depends on how far back we're going.

ouflak
12/10/2013, 11:00 AM
Stoops is 2-0 versus 'Bama in his era.

jkjsooner
12/10/2013, 11:07 AM
Well it depends on how far back we're going.

I don't know that we have a great records against the SEC overall. We've played them so rarely and prior to the Bowl Alliance / BCS, it wasn't likely for the Big 8 champion (which we were more than not) to face the SEC in a bowl game.

But as a comparison, from the '70s through the '90s Nebraska had an obscenely good record against the SEC. In many of those years, NU was the Big 8 runner up and they beat the SEC champion.

jkjsooner
12/10/2013, 11:11 AM
Stoops is 2-0 versus 'Bama in his era.

Yes, but they spin that by saying that Bama wasn't very good in 2002 and 2003 and OU had really good teams.

I know in 2003 the game was early and OU wasn't really rolling yet. That OU team clearly got better as the season went along - until the KSU game.

In 2002, we had the unfortunate bad luck of having to replace White during the game.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/10/2013, 11:23 AM
Stoops record vs. johnny reb

Ole **** 0 - 1
geaux 0 - 1
bammer 2 - 0
piggie 1 - 0
master (gator) baitors 0 - 1
johnny foolsball 0 - 1/2

I give us 1/2 a loss against johnny foolsball since, if we had beaten then, they would have been called a B12 team by the johnny reb apologists.

So Stoops record is 3 wins 3 1/2 losses. Not quite as good as his B12 record but the data set is pretty limited.

SoonerShay
12/10/2013, 12:00 PM
Yes, but they spin that by saying that Bama wasn't very good in 2002 and 2003 and OU had really good teams.

I know in 2003 the game was early and OU wasn't really rolling yet. That OU team clearly got better as the season went along - until the KSU game.

In 2002, we had the unfortunate bad luck of having to replace White during the game.

Alabama was really good in 2002, they would of won the SEC west but they were on probation.

badger
12/10/2013, 12:19 PM
Alabama was really good in 2002, they would of won the SEC west but they were on probation.

Yeah, the BCS would rank them where they were supposed to be, so that we'd still get their quality win points (back when that was a factor). I recall during our Tusky visit that the Bammer fans cheered quite loudly when it was announce that preseason top 5 Auburn was losing (yet again) in 03. That might have been the year they canned the Bowden boy :D

cvsooner
12/10/2013, 12:29 PM
I recall beating Auburn with the Heisman Trophy winner in the 1971 Sugar Bowl, which was the consolation prize for losing to Nebraska.

soonergirlNeugene
12/10/2013, 03:57 PM

That's not really spin. I don't give teams as much credit for beating us in the 90s either. Bama in '13 is a completely different animal from Bama in '03. I was at the game in Norman though, and their fans were really nice both before and after the game. I wonder if that too has changed now that they are enjoying so much success.

picasso
12/10/2013, 03:58 PM
I recall beating Auburn with the Heisman Trophy winner in the 1971 Sugar Bowl, which was the consolation prize for losing to Nebraska.
We rolled them. It's on youtube.

Ruf/Nek7
12/11/2013, 01:12 PM
Even if we beat Bama, it will be considered a 1 out of 100 times...similar to that of the boise st game from a few years back. Therefore, we will still be considered inferior to bama. The only thing this win does is give a boost to a crumbling conference. I do not expect a win against bama to boost recruiting either. Unfortunately.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2013, 02:38 PM
We rolled them. It's on youtube.We got SO ref-raped against the bugeaters in the regular season IN NORMAN in 1971, and that was our only loss that year. WE had the best team in the country instead of bugs...but, it was close. Both were superb teams.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2013, 02:39 PM
Even if we beat Bama, it will be considered a 1 out of 100 times...similar to that of the boise st game from a few years back. Therefore, we will still be considered inferior to bama. The only thing this win does is give a boost to a crumbling conference. I do not expect a win against bama to boost recruiting either. Unfortunately.Disagree. It would IMMENSELY help our recruiting.

Big12Guy
12/11/2013, 03:44 PM
That wasn't anytime recently and Alabama isn't the same team as they were in the early 2000s. Don't hang any bets on that history.

Big12Guy
12/11/2013, 03:46 PM
Again...That wasn't anytime recently and Alabama isn't the same team as they were in the early 2000s. Don't hang any bets on that history. This was long before the SEC crowned 7 National Champions in a row. The Sooners will have to be at their best for this game.

SoCalBigRed
12/11/2013, 03:55 PM
BAHAHAHAHA!

We have absolutely NOTHING to lose in this ball game. NOTHING!

We're expected to lose. We're Boise St, this time, get it? We're OU in 2000 vs FSU.

They're WAY deeper than us? Really? We just finished a 10 - 2 season suffering major injuries at nearly every skill position. So who's deeper?

8timechamps
12/11/2013, 04:21 PM
Even if we beat Bama, it will be considered a 1 out of 100 times...similar to that of the boise st game from a few years back. Therefore, we will still be considered inferior to bama. The only thing this win does is give a boost to a crumbling conference. I do not expect a win against bama to boost recruiting either. Unfortunately.

Oh, a win would absolutely boost recruiting. It's not going to flip any commits from Bama to OU, but it would definitely have shockwaves in recruiting.

picasso
12/11/2013, 04:48 PM
That wasn't anytime recently and Alabama isn't the same team as they were in the early 2000s. Don't hang any bets on that history.

No frickin kidding? The topic is our history vs. that league.
If we're setting guidlines then lay them out.

Snrinhouston
12/11/2013, 08:53 PM
BAHAHAHAHA!

We have absolutely NOTHING to lose in this ball game. NOTHING!

We're expected to lose. We're Boise St, this time, get it? We're OU in 2000 vs FSU.

They're WAY deeper than us? Really? We just finished a 10 - 2 season suffering major injuries at nearly every skill position. So who's deeper?

Hmmmm. I dunno if I'd go that far. It seems to me that being expected to lose and having nothing to lose don't necessarily go hand in hand.

For example, if New Mexico State were playing Bama, it'd be expected to lose. And in that instance (given the stature of that program), I think it would have nothing to lose. That program has no luster or cache, so if it gets blasted by 5-6 touchdowns, it loses no luster or cache.

Now if OU were to lose big, its reputation and brand does lose luster and cache.

SoCalBigRed
12/14/2013, 01:35 AM
Hmmmm. I dunno if I'd go that far. It seems to me that being expected to lose and having nothing to lose don't necessarily go hand in hand.

For example, if New Mexico State were playing Bama, it'd be expected to lose. And in that instance (given the stature of that program), I think it would have nothing to lose. That program has no luster or cache, so if it gets blasted by 5-6 touchdowns, it loses no luster or cache.

Now if OU were to lose big, its reputation and brand does lose luster and cache.

Been through this process many times?

The talking heads will have us as New Mexico St, by the time game time comes around.

We're a 16 point underdog, right now. By the time the game rolls around that might be closer to 21.

We don't have anything to lose, other than a ball game.

Snrinhouston
12/14/2013, 09:36 AM
Been through this process many times?

The talking heads will have us as New Mexico St, by the time game time comes around.

We're a 16 point underdog, right now. By the time the game rolls around that might be closer to 21.

We don't have anything to lose, other than a ball game.

Well, we simply disagree, but that's ok. I think some are wondering if OU is still upper management, or if we are now middle management. Be competitive with Bama or even win...we stay in their minds as the former.

SoonerForLife92
12/14/2013, 01:22 PM

Sadly this is the reality of it. Especially with the media perpetration (when does the espn deal with sec end?). I still want to win though and it would be great for our program and confidence of the team for next year!

SoCalBigRed
12/14/2013, 06:10 PM
Well, we simply disagree, but that's ok. I think some are wondering if OU is still upper management, or if we are now middle management. Be competitive with Bama or even win...we stay in their minds as the former.

Personally, I think we're going to beat them.

Coming in underdogs, listening to the talking heads for a month... won't sit well with the Stoops brothers, nor the team.

I don't agree with the idea that they're deeper and more talented than us, either. We played 3 different QBs throughout the year, including in one game (which we won) and finished 10-2, dismissed our starting RB, injuries up and down both lines...

Naw, we're in the same league and we're still upper-management. But, for most people, especially the media... reality is 90% perception. We choke in bowl games, that's what they say. Can't win the big one, that's what they say. That's what they'll be saying leading up to this one, playing the defending national champions.

BigTip
12/14/2013, 07:15 PM
We choke in bowl games, that's what they say. Can't win the big one, that's what they say. That's what they'll be saying leading up to this one, playing the defending national champions.

They say that because it's been mostly true.
But maybe the lOSUr game helped change that perception some.
Also another fake field goal or something like it vs bama might be enough to win this one too. That was fun stuff.