PDA

View Full Version : Win the Big 12......

BigJerm7
12/10/2013, 05:25 AM
And get the weakest bowl opponnet of all Big 12 schools

#6 Baylor v. #15 UCF

Kansas State v. Michigan
Texas v. #10 Oregon
Texas Tech. v. #14 Arizona St.
#10 OU v. #3 Alabama
#13 OSU v. #8 Mizzou

UCF is ranked higher than Michigan, but I'm willing to bet Michigan would beat them. UCF's schedule is terrible and that game reminds me of the OU v. UConn Fiesta Bowl.

Makes me appreciate the matchup with Alabama even more.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2013, 06:03 AM
Yep, it sucks. We'd better make the most of it.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2013, 06:57 AM
UCF should be in the Rose Bowl. But, the BCS wimped out and allowed the Rose Bowl to negotiate their usual matchup even when they host the Title Game. Glad to see the BCS go.

Boomer.....
12/10/2013, 08:31 AM
Another lose/lose situation.

bmjlr
12/10/2013, 09:25 AM
Big 12 needs to cut ties with the Fiesta Bowl...the matchups are horrible.

SoonerMarkVA
12/10/2013, 09:31 AM
UCF should be in the Rose Bowl. But, the BCS wimped out and allowed the Rose Bowl to negotiate their usual matchup even when they host the Title Game. Glad to see the BCS go.

The Rose bowl has been a thorn in the implementation of the BCS every step of the way. It was already going to have lots of suckage; Rose bowl just made sure it was exponentially more suckage.

badger
12/10/2013, 09:33 AM
It's not Baylor's fault that the Fiesta Bowl had the final draw and nobody else wanted to select UCF. Every bowl had to take a turn taking a sh!tty non-traveler, whether it was the NIU in last year's Orange Bowl, TCU in the Rose a few years back, or Hawaii in the Sugar way back when. I have no idea what the draw was for TCU-Boise Fiesta, but I can't imagine it was that much, given both programs have smaller home stadium capacities.

yermom
12/10/2013, 10:06 AM
Big 12 needs to cut ties with the Fiesta Bowl...the matchups are horrible.

Next year, right?

The fiesta bowl is kinda terrible

fadada1
12/10/2013, 10:22 AM
IMO, they need to eliminate bowl tie-ins (to some degree). This has been a problem of sorts since day 1. Not having the best possible bowl match-ups has destroyed bowls. That, and having 33 bowl games.

Seems pretty obvious to have 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6, etc....

Sure, I understand traditional match ups such as the rose bowl, but it doesn't seem to make sense (other than money) anymore.

My thought - 7 wins to qualify for a bowl; back down to 20 bowl games. Everyone shouldn't get a ribbon.

badger
12/10/2013, 10:25 AM
That, and having 33 bowl games.

Aren't they adding more next year? Reportedly 39 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_NCAA_football_bowl_games)

The entire bowl system is kind of shammy. Schools are forced to buy a certain number of tickets, in addition to the cost of airfare (or buses), hotels, meals and other expenses related to teams and support groups like cheer and band.

Meanwhile, bowls enjoy non-profit status so their ugly suited representatives can stand on the sidelines of major college programs playing in big games pretending to be doing actual work and not just handing out stickers while looking important.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2013, 11:46 AM

#6 Baylor v. #15 UCF

Kansas State v. Michigan
Texas v. #10 Oregon
#10 OU v. #3 Alabama
#13 OSU v. #8 Mizzou

UCF is ranked higher than Michigan, but I'm willing to bet Michigan would beat them. UCF's schedule is terrible and that game reminds me of the OU v. UConn Fiesta Bowl.

Really hard to place UCF on a power scale. They may well be pretty good. I don't see it being the same as Uconn other than the lack of name recognition. It was known that Uconn was not good that year. UCF is more of a mystery.

BigJerm7
12/10/2013, 10:29 PM
Have you seen UCF's schedule and results? There's no mystery, they're not that good.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2013, 10:53 PM
Have you seen UCF's schedule and results? There's no mystery, they're not that good.

Yes.

Uconn was 8-4 and unranked going into our game. 2 of the 4 losses were blowouts. Their offense was particularly weak.

UCF is 11-1 and ranked #15 with the only loss to South Carolina 28-25. Their best win is Louisville who was expected to dominate the conference. They also won at Penn State. Not a super strong resume, but far superior to the '10 Uconn squad. Their QB is often listed in the top 5-8 spots for next year's draft.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2013, 10:59 PM
Yes.

Uconn was 8-4 and unranked going into our game. 2 of the 4 losses were blowouts. Their offense was particularly weak.

UCF is 11-1 and ranked #15 with the only loss to South Carolina 28-25. Their best win is Louisville who was expected to dominate the conference. They also won at Penn State. Not a super strong resume, but far superior to the '10 Uconn squad. Their QB is often listed in the top 5-8 spots for next year's draft.
They played South Carolina close....Wofford has played South Carolina close before as well.

8timechamps
12/10/2013, 11:04 PM
UCF is better than a lot are thinking. They are nowhere near as mediocre as the UConn team we played. Baylor should win comfortably, but I think UCF deserved the spot.

The problem, as mentioned above, is the bowl tie-in situation. Once the BCS was started, it should have been done away with altogether. That way, the bowls could select teams that made sense (to both the bowl and the team).

In any event, it's only going to get stranger next year. Like the Champions Bowl, which is basically the Cotton Bowl, except there's still going to be a Cotton Bowl. It's supposed to put the SEC champ against the Big XII champ, except that will never happen, as one or both with always be in the playoff.

Once the powers that be get a taste of the money that the playoff will bring in, the field will quickly be expanded. I think it's crazy to start with only 4 teams, but I'm sure that will change.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2013, 11:10 PM
UCF is better than a lot are thinking. They are nowhere near as mediocre as the UConn team we played. Baylor should win comfortably, but I think UCF deserved the spot.

The problem, as mentioned above, is the bowl tie-in situation. Once the BCS was started, it should have been done away with altogether. That way, the bowls could select teams that made sense (to both the bowl and the team).

In any event, it's only going to get stranger next year. Like the Champions Bowl, which is basically the Cotton Bowl, except there's still going to be a Cotton Bowl. It's supposed to put the SEC champ against the Big XII champ, except that will never happen, as one or both with always be in the playoff.

Once the powers that be get a taste of the money that the playoff will bring in, the field will quickly be expanded. I think it's crazy to start with only 4 teams, but I'm sure that will change.

I have to agree with every point. And you how much it burns my asss to have to agree with you.

soonergirlNeugene
12/10/2013, 11:34 PM
It seems like the Fiesta bowl always has the lamest matchups for the B12 champ.

Piware
12/11/2013, 12:39 AM
It seems like the Fiesta bowl always has the lamest matchups for the B12 champ.

Completely. I hate that darn bowl game and always have.

dennis580
12/11/2013, 12:51 AM

#6 Baylor v. #15 UCF

Kansas State v. Michigan
Texas v. #10 Oregon
#10 OU v. #3 Alabama
#13 OSU v. #8 Mizzou

Central Florida is NOT the weakest Big 12 opponent, and they did NOT play a terrible schedule. They have a NFL QB, and a athletic defense, and they played out of conference games against S. Carolina, and @ Penn St., and they played @ Louisville. They are far more worthy opponent then Michigan.