PDA

View Full Version : Back in Oklahoma

Jerk
12/9/2013, 02:38 PM
I'm moving to Harrah-Newalla. I'll be 15 miles from where I work. Gonna have about 14 acres which is covered with nothing but cedars and crosstimbers. Problem is, it is within Oklahoma City limits, which is bull****, since I'm not using their utilities. I'm going to build a 100 yard rifle range in my back yard, so if the po po show up because some panzy neighbor complains, is this a felony or a misdemeanor?

rock on sooner
12/9/2013, 03:42 PM
Might depend on proper permits...and most cities frown on discharging
firearms in city limits...

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:09 PM
I'm moving to Harrah-Newalla. I'll be 15 miles from where I work. Gonna have about 14 acres which is covered with nothing but cedars and crosstimbers. Problem is, it is within Oklahoma City limits, which is bull****, since I'm not using their utilities. I'm going to build a 100 yard rifle range in my back yard, so if the po po show up because some panzy neighbor complains, is this a felony or a misdemeanor?

Before I bought my place I actually got talked into attending a bunch of classes at the OSU Extension office in Norman. I think the seminar was called "So You Think You Wanna Move to the Country?" They covered things like septic tanks, bovine/equine/aggy lover care, different grasses and pasture management, fencing, and all kinds of useful stuff.

During one of the sessions the instructor goes "so, why do you want to be in the country?" First guy goes "so I can have peace and quiet and be away from it all." The next guy goes "so I can shoot all my guns day and night." The instructor laughed and goes "you two guys know you're gonna be next door neighbors don't you?"

Unless you're in a subdivision or something you should be alright. People in the country are used to hearing firearms discharging and only get pissed when it's late at night and you're out there going all full-auto or using up a suitcase full of ammo. I'd be more concerned with your backstop. 14 acres really isn't enough land to have a range - unless you have a really good backstop. I'm fortunate enough to have a range set up from the back porch. Have targets at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Momma gets pissed when we have company cause she has to move my lead sled off the table and it's got 2 bags of buckshot weighing it down. That, and she has to clean up all the brass and paraphernalia off the table/chairs/floor.

Good luck.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 04:23 PM
Harrah is a great school district. I don't know if you have school age kids or not, but I like Harrah.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:29 PM
Harrah is a great school district. I don't know if you have school age kids or not, but I like Harrah.

When you go south out of Harrah down towards Lake Thunderbird there's also more crack houses per square mile than about anywhere in OK so you have that too.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 04:37 PM
Before I bought my place I actually got talked into attending a bunch of classes at the OSU Extension office in Norman. I think the seminar was called "So You Think You Wanna Move to the Country?" They covered things like septic tanks, bovine/equine/aggy lover care, different grasses and pasture management, fencing, and all kinds of useful stuff.

During one of the sessions the instructor goes "so, why do you want to be in the country?" First guy goes "so I can have peace and quiet and be away from it all." The next guy goes "so I can shoot all my guns day and night." The instructor laughed and goes "you two guys know you're gonna be next door neighbors don't you?"

Unless you're in a subdivision or something you should be alright. People in the country are used to hearing firearms discharging and only get pissed when it's late at night and you're out there going all full-auto or using up a suitcase full of ammo. I'd be more concerned with your backstop. 14 acres really isn't enough land to have a range - unless you have a really good backstop. I'm fortunate enough to have a range set up from the back porch. Have targets at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Momma gets pissed when we have company cause she has to move my lead sled off the table and it's got 2 bags of buckshot weighing it down. That, and she has to clean up all the brass and paraphernalia off the table/chairs/floor.

Good luck.

Wait a Minute, You sayin you had o go to OsEwe classes to be able to live in the Country?
I just told the world to Kiss my *** and Moved here

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 04:51 PM
When you go south out of Harrah down towards Lake Thunderbird there's also more crack houses per square mile than about anywhere in OK so you have that too.

Eh, go west of Fort Gibson about 3 miles and across the river and it's the same situation. :D

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:54 PM
Wait a Minute, You sayin you had o go to OsEwe classes to be able to live in the Country?
I just told the world to Kiss my *** and Moved here

If there was an OU Extension office I would have went there, but alas, we don't do sheep or have classes on septic vs. cess pool and grass management.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 04:56 PM
If there was an OU Extension office I would have went there, but alas, we don't do sheep or have classes on septic vs. cess pool and grass management.

Heh.

KantoSooner
12/9/2013, 04:57 PM
Frankly, if you live in the country, NOT using the extension office is crazy. Example: I am growing a bunch of native pecans from seeds. When they're three years old, the extension guys will come out and graft paper shell branches on to them, free of charge. I then grow them another year or so (they're in garbage cans out behind my garden), and then transplant. I get $500-600 of trees free of charge (except for my labor, which goes pretty cheap). Native toughness, papershell quality nuts.
They'll also identify bugs/disease and suggest control methods, come out and consult on how to set up a rain water retention tank. All sorts of stuff that I kind of know how to do or could figure out...but that's a lot easier once you have someone knowledgeable explain it.

You just have to keep 'em away from chain saws, lawn mowers or other mechanical devices. It scares 'em and they run off and then you have to go find 'em and bring 'em back.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 05:08 PM
Frankly, if you live in the country, NOT using the extension office is crazy. Example: I am growing a bunch of native pecans from seeds. When they're three years old, the extension guys will come out and graft paper shell branches on to them, free of charge. I then grow them another year or so (they're in garbage cans out behind my garden), and then transplant. I get $500-600 of trees free of charge (except for my labor, which goes pretty cheap). Native toughness, papershell quality nuts.
They'll also identify bugs/disease and suggest control methods, come out and consult on how to set up a rain water retention tank. All sorts of stuff that I kind of know how to do or could figure out...but that's a lot easier once you have someone knowledgeable explain it.

You just have to keep 'em away from chain saws, lawn mowers or other mechanical devices. It scares 'em and they run off and then you have to go find 'em and bring 'em back.

I use them for soil samples when I'm fixin' to fertilize, and have gotten advice on pasture sprays and pecan pest control as well. I mean it is what it is. I ain't ashamed, and I ain't wearing orange.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 05:09 PM
I reckon I could use em then If they know how to People proof my land. Hell its Mostly Rock scrub oak and Clay on the Hill. Not much I can or want to do here But stay the hell away from MOST folk.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 05:19 PM

Holy crap. I drive that road several times a week and never really payed attention. I will now,,gotta find me a good crack house,,, ones on the up and up.

Jerk
12/10/2013, 06:14 PM
I think the land is about 4-5 miles south of I-40 on Harrah Rd. Is that where all the crackhouses are? All I could see were trees

olevetonahill
12/10/2013, 06:23 PM
I think the land is about 4-5 miles south of I-40 on Harrah Rd. Is that where all the crackhouses are? All I could see were trees

I know nothinh about the area bro, But for your OWN protection I'd be axin the PoPo about shootin there. I wouldnt mention a range deal but just say ya Like to bust caps and target practice. Like Dean said Make sure ya have a safe backstop but you already know this. Welcome back home. The Bird says Hi LOL

olevetonahill
12/10/2013, 06:23 PM
Holy crap. I drive that road several times a week and never really payed attention. I will now,,gotta find me a good crack house,,, ones on the up and up.

Pick us up some Crack Hos while yer there

Jerk
12/10/2013, 06:32 PM
I know for fact it is legal to shoot a shotgun within city limits as long as the shot is #2 or smaller. So, I'll just shoot one of them and see if the po po comes out. After enough trips they'll get the call for the dozenth time and say "It's just that idiot with a shotty." Voila! I'll be slinging .223

olevetonahill
12/10/2013, 06:37 PM
I know for fact it is legal to shoot a shotgun within city limits as long as the shot is #2 or smaller. So, I'll just shoot one of them and see if the po po comes out. After enough trips they'll get the call for the dozenth time and say "It's just that idiot with a shotty." Voila! I'll be slinging .223

Heh, Its yer Money LOL

Jerk
12/10/2013, 06:46 PM
I know fer fact that the guy who lives west of me has his own rifle range. I also the the neighbors to the east do as well (not fer sure
but I was told). However, I am certain this place is within OKC limits. Silly. This place is as 'city' as Bricktown is country

nmsoonergirl
12/17/2013, 07:46 PM
Jerk,
We moved back to OK from New Mexico and live a little north of your new place on Harrah-Newalla.
There is a lot of shooting that goes on around here (there's some type of range just south of the Dollar General, in fact). We rarely see any OKC police or any sheriff patrols out here (what Deans says about the crack houses is so, so true, sadly). It's kind of a no man's land since we are in OKC city limits (I get OKC trash, but I bet you are too far south for that), but Cleveland county, and Mcloud schools (although you may be too far south for that, also). I would be surprised if any law agency ever showed up because of your shooting, but I don't know the legalities.
Let us know if you have any questions about the 'hood or if you need anything!