PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gundy Is A Very Good Coach

FaninAma
12/9/2013, 09:26 AM
Despite the aggie attitude in Stillwater Gundy has turned OSU into a solid program. This actually helps OU if/when we finally decide to bail on the Big 12 since OU is joined politically to OSU.

picasso
12/9/2013, 09:42 AM
He had help but he's been a much better HC than OC.

badger
12/9/2013, 09:47 AM
There was a lot of emotion typing on the Aggy Internet boards this weekend about firing Gundy and such. Reasonable Pokes know that he is one of the few out there who would view OSU as a destination job and not a stepping stone a la Les Miles, Jimmy Johnson, etc.

It's a double edged sword, because Mike Gundy is not of Jimmy Johnson's caliber, or even Les Miles. BUT, unlike those guys, Gundy won't leave. Sure, his agent will peddle him to anyone with an opening to get Gundy a pay raise, but he's not going anywhere.

Jacie
12/9/2013, 09:52 AM
Is he good or is he lucky? He happened to be the head coach when the owner of a large independent oil & gas company with a LOT of discretionary funds decided to make improving o-state football his personal cause.

Kind of reminds me of that line in the movie, A Bridge Too Far, where a German general looks up at a sky filled with Allied planes and parachutes and says to himself, "Just once to command such power . . ."

MsProudSooner
12/9/2013, 11:05 AM
There was a lot of emotion typing on the Aggy Internet boards this weekend about firing Gundy and such. Reasonable Pokes know that he is one of the few out there who would view OSU as a destination job and not a stepping stone a la Les Miles, Jimmy Johnson, etc.

It's a double edged sword, because Mike Gundy is not of Jimmy Johnson's caliber, or even Les Miles. BUT, unlike those guys, Gundy won't leave. Sure, his agent will peddle him to anyone with an opening to get Gundy a pay raise, but he's not going anywhere.

I know he said that OSU was his dream job, I keep hearing rumors that he's fed up with Pickens and would jump ship if the right offer came along. He's built the most consistent quality teams that the aggies have ever had and he's beat OU once. That has to give him - and Tbone -pause.

sooneron
12/9/2013, 11:09 AM
He's a good coach. I can only see him bailing for the nfl, but I don't think that will happen. They would need to win some conf titles for that to happen.

picasso
12/9/2013, 11:14 AM
He's done a great job of hiring great coaches and developing players. No doubt.
Unlik Stoops though, he was a lousy coordinator. Was fired from Maryland and demoted himself at oSu.

sooneron
12/9/2013, 11:15 AM
Knowing your weaknesses is your greatest asset.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 01:00 PM
We will see how good Gundy is next year.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 01:02 PM
He may be a good coach But He will Always be Bobs Bitch :wink:

badger
12/9/2013, 01:33 PM
I know he said that OSU was his dream job, I keep hearing rumors that he's fed up with Pickens and would jump ship if the right offer came along. He's built the most consistent quality teams that the aggies have ever had and he's beat OU once. That has to give him - and Tbone -pause.

There was a report last year after they were Blake Bell'd in overtime that Boone Pickens was livid and screaming at Gundy post-loss in the locker room. This was allegedly what made him open to considering dead end jobs like Arkansas and Tennessee.

While Gundy has never been forthcoming and absolutely trustworthy in public about pretty much anything, other than what's obvious, he has been a little bit less guarded about his opinion on non-conference scheduling. Mississippi State on a neutral field in Houston? No. FCS at home? YES!

stoopified
12/9/2013, 02:18 PM
Gundy IS a good coach BUT his winning percetage is padded by ooc slates that feature games against teams ranked #100 or lower in FBS or FCS teams like La.-la.,Florida Atlantic,Missouri State,Savannah State,etc.The only good teams Gundy plays were those made before he became coach or over his objections. He strongly subscribes to the Snyder school in OOC picks.

fadada1
12/9/2013, 02:34 PM
They lose Gundy, they lose everything. They have perfect storm with him - Solid coach, ex-poke, and WANTS to live in Stillwater. He has made them competitive at a conference level, and at times, national level. Who do they think will do better? Morons.