PDA

View Full Version : We can beat Bama

landrun
12/8/2013, 10:26 PM
We can beat Bama, and I think we can do it without playing our best game.

I know stats don't tell the whole story. But they do tell part of a story.

There is a lot of misconception about Bama.
When I think of Bama, I think of a team you can't stop from running and a team that you can't run against.

Neither is completely true - especially the part that you can't stop them from running.

A brief look at this year's stats, which do mean something at this point in the year, says two things real quick.

First, Bama is the best D we've seen all year.
Second, surprisingly, we're the best defense they've seen too.
Statistically, we're the second best D they've seen. Va Tech being #1.

But Va Tech played no one. The best win Va Tech has this year is either N.carolina or Ga. Tech. They didn't beat a ranked team all year.
AND.... Bama played Va. Tech the first game of the year.
So, sinse then, we're the best D Bama will face all year. I honstly think Va Tech's defense isn't as good as ours is.

Offensively, they throw better than we do (no kidding right?) - well exept for Grant Bothun, who at this point has a 99.9% passer rating (Thanks OSU!!! :) )
But they're not great at it. They're #60 in the county. We're #99.

And the defenses they've played are just a bit below the level of defenses we've faced.
And Auburn, who they just lost to isn't even on the first page of stats (top 50) of total defense.
Bama's offense only put 28 against Auburn, a defense that is worse than many we've faced this year. Worse than OSU and we just put up 33 against them with a rag tag beat up offense playing 3 QBs in one game with 4 different people thowing passes.

My point? We can win a defensive battle with Alabama.
And I think we can score more than most believe as long as we don't drop the ball like we did against Texas - our worst game of the year by far.

Quick list of stats...

2nd best rush defense Bama has seen - Va tech #8 and the statistical best to date
OU #27
LSU #43 (statistically the 2nd best D Bama has seen up to this point in all D categories)
Bama is the best rush D we've seen #11
Best we've seen so far is OSU at 22 followed by Baylor at 25 - both better than any team Bama has seen this year

2nd best scoring D they've seen -- Va Tech best to date
But then we're 23, Next best they've seen is LSU at 30
We've played OSU #14 baylor #19 - both better than any team Bama has seen this year (excluding Va Tech)
Bama #2 scoring D.

2nd best total D - Va Tech best to date
We're 13.
Next best they've seen is LSU at 20
Baylor was #17 - So we've played better defenses than Bama has to date.
Total D Alabama #5

Bama beat 2 ranked teams.
LSU 38-17
and Ole Miss 25-0
Lost to Auburn

Oklahoma beat 1 ranked team all year. OSU
Lost to Baylor and Texas

So, Oklahoma has the best win of both Bama by OU beating OSU (vs. Bama beating LSU)
But Bama has 1 more win against ranked teams (LSU and Ole Miss - who statistically is pretty bad and I think gets love for being in the SEC)

Offense:
Bama #18 Rush offense
OU #21

Pass:
Bama #60
OU #99

Keep in mind when looking at the offensive stats here, we've played better defenses than Bama. We run the ball as good as they do.

I can't find any passing D stats on the NCAA site tonight for some reason.

We got this! :)

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 10:34 PM
I'm waiting for the official spread to come out. Licking my
Chops.

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 10:37 PM
I think Bama's weakness on defense is their secondary (which is still pretty good, but not the same as previous years). On offense, I think their offensive line is much different than previous years. They do have weaknesses.

The thing that I find most optimism in, is Auburn's ability to run the ball against them. Auburn has a very good run game, but so do we. Add in a mobile QB, and I don't think this is the slam dunk Bama win most do.

Our defense is going to have to play very good, but I think they can answer the call.

*There's something screwy going on with the NCAA site. It looks like they're reformatting the stats section...I had the same issue with the defensive stats.

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 10:38 PM
I'm waiting for the official spread to come out. Licking my
Chops.

Sounds like it's going to be somewhere in the 9-11 point range.

Plexis22
12/8/2013, 10:42 PM
Bama has a pretty efficient offense that will be the best we have faced. The D will have to step up to stop it, and force turnovers.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2013, 10:50 PM
The NCAA redid the stats section this year to incorporate some more modern tech. I sent them an email volunteering to recode it because it was so badly formatted. Things that were easy to find on the old site are almost impossible on the new one.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695

Okie35
12/8/2013, 10:54 PM
We should just be happy AJ doesn't scramble lol Striker will kill him

Eielson
12/8/2013, 11:12 PM
They've never seen a powerhouse defense like the ones the Big XII has.

SicEmBaylor
12/8/2013, 11:13 PM
I predicted pre-season that Alabama would drop two this year. I thought they would come in the regular season, but OU has a chance to make me a f'n Nostradamus. Boomer!

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 11:19 PM
Love my Sooners...always have and always will...but I just don't see what y'all are seeing. Seems to me we are in the same position UConn was against us in our last Fiesta Bowl appearance...They just weren't in our league.

AzianSooner
12/8/2013, 11:24 PM

I like what you said, and I will smoke with you.

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 11:29 PM
...this is why I love college football, everybody's team can beat everybody else's...and sometimes they do

ss

SoonerForLife92
12/9/2013, 03:16 AM
I agree with everything OP said. Bama is the SEC's best team and they will be hard to beat, but it is not even close to the difference of talent levels between us and UCONN in the 2010 fiesta bowl.....

sendbaht
12/9/2013, 05:31 AM
Who is the "home team" the highest ranked, or? or how's does that work? Thanks....we will beat Bama...

rock on sooner
12/9/2013, 07:58 AM
Who is the "home team" the highest ranked, or? or how's does that work? Thanks....we will beat Bama...

The listings in the paper show OU as the home team..FWIW...

beached_sooner
12/9/2013, 04:19 PM
Don't mean to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but can someone explain how OU leapfrogged Mizzou, S. Carolina, and Oregon for the Sugar bowl?

I know OU travels well, but considering the location of Mizzou, I would think they would travel just as well. I really can't say I'm happy about the opportunity to play 'Bama. I would much rather have seen Baylor get that opportunity. To me, I would rather have seen OU matched against Mizzou or South Carolina or even UCF. I'm tired of seeing OU get an @s$ kicking in the bowl game, and I'm afraid we're getting set up for another. Oh well, what's done is done, but I can't say I'm happy, but that's just me.

EatLeadCommie
12/9/2013, 04:35 PM
Don't mean to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but can someone explain how OU leapfrogged Mizzou, S. Carolina, and Oregon for the Sugar bowl?

I know OU travels well, but considering the location of Mizzou, I would think they would travel just as well. I really can't say I'm happy about the opportunity to play 'Bama. I would much rather have seen Baylor get that opportunity. To me, I would rather have seen OU matched against Mizzou or South Carolina or even UCF. I'm tired of seeing OU get an @s$ kicking in the bowl game, and I'm afraid we're getting set up for another. Oh well, what's done is done, but I can't say I'm happy, but that's just me.

Unless things have changed, the SEC already had two teams in BCS bowls, so Mizzou and SC couldn't go. It was between us and Oregon for the spot in the Sugar.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2013, 04:36 PM
Mizzou didn't even travel well for the SEC championship..

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:36 PM

Cause we're ****in' OU, that's why.

And anyone who would rather play Mizzou/UCF over playing Alabama needs to go ahead and have the sex-change operation and get themselves a nice little vajajay.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2013, 04:41 PM

And anyone who would rather play Mizzou/UCF over playing Alabama needs to go ahead and have the sex-change operation and get themselves a nice little vajajay.

This is my line of thinking.. As a competitor, you want to play the best team you can..

As I have stated to my friends, this game will be a good measurement of where OU is as a football program. Win or lose, the opportunity to play, currently, THE top football program in the country is great. If we can go in and compete strong, win or lose, it's a good sign for the program that we are closer to competing for NCs..

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2013, 04:44 PM

No thanks. I've already had two sex change operations and my entire life has taken a full 360.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 04:56 PM
I sure as **** don't want to play UCF. I'd rather shoot for the stars and have the chance to beat Bama (although we'd get our *** kicked at this point) than beat up on some commuter directional school in Florida. It makes me sad we finally got a BCS game and we draw..............UCF.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2013, 05:08 PM
I sure as **** don't want to play UCF. I'd rather shoot for the stars and have the chance to beat Bama (although we'd get our *** kicked at this point) than beat up on some commuter directional school in Florida. It makes me sad we finally got a BCS game and we draw..............UCF.

I sorta figured you would feel that way. But take heart, it is not a no-win situation (unless you, um, don't win). :P

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 05:14 PM
I sorta figured you would feel that way. But take heart, it is not a no-win situation (unless you, um, don't win). :P

They are the mouthiest fans I have ever seen.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2013, 05:16 PM
They are the mouthiest fans I have ever seen.

UCF fans? I don't think I've ever met one. But if they are a blend of jort wearin' gator fans and The 'U' thugs, you are in for a real treat.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 05:19 PM
UCF fans? I don't think I've ever met one. But if they are a blend of jort wearin' gator fans and The 'U' thugs, you are in for a real treat.

I honestly didn't even know they were an AQ-school. I checked out their message board a bit last night and holy crap on a stick. They make TexAggie look intelligent.

Temujin
12/9/2013, 05:59 PM
This is my line of thinking.. As a competitor, you want to play the best team you can..

As I have stated to my friends, this game will be a good measurement of where OU is as a football program. Win or lose, the opportunity to play, currently, THE top football program in the country is great. If we can go in and compete strong, win or lose, it's a good sign for the program that we are closer to competing for NCs..

I completely agree...and besides that, who did Alabama beat this year anyway? Their best wins are against a mediocre #16 LSU and #21 Texas A&M. I have a hard time placing that resume at #3 in the country. Between OU and Alabama, technically OU has the best win of the two. Michigan State and Stanford have much better resumes than Alabama.

OU has its weaknesses and injuries and all kinds of problems. But I think Alabama is a lot more vulnerable than anyone in the Suck Every C**k conference wants to admit. If we can get relatively healthy by Jan 2nd, then I think we have a great chance to win.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2013, 06:13 PM
I completely agree...and besides that, who did Alabama beat this year anyway? Their best wins are against a mediocre #16 LSU and #21 Texas A&M. I have a hard time placing that resume at #3 in the country. Between OU and Alabama, technically OU has the best win of the two. Michigan State and Stanford have much better resumes than Alabama.

OU has its weaknesses and injuries and all kinds of problems. But I think Alabama is a lot more vulnerable than anyone in the Suck Every C**k conference wants to admit. If we can get relatively healthy by Jan 2nd, then I think we have a great chance to win.

Regardless of this year's team, Bama is the top program by any measure as STEP said. And as far a resume goes., everyone who watched the Auburn game knows they had mulitiple chances to win that game. If they had, their resume would look completely difference having bagged #4. The fact they didn't win hurts the resume, but doesn't change their team strength.

mainline13
12/9/2013, 06:26 PM
UCF fans? I don't think I've ever met either one. But if they are a blend of jort wearin' gator fans and The 'U' thugs, you are in for a real treat.

FIFY

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 06:35 PM
No thanks. I've already had two sex change operations and my entire life has taken a full 360.

So how does that werk? Do you get yer Own dick back or someone elses?

Scott D
12/9/2013, 06:39 PM
I honestly didn't even know they were an AQ-school. I checked out their message board a bit last night and holy crap on a stick. They make TexAggie look intelligent.

clearly you haven't been to central florida before.

BlownGP
12/9/2013, 06:49 PM

Well, last year was the only time we got our azz kicked in a while.

I dont know what to think about this game. If this was any other OU team in the past. I would say we have a chance with our offense, but this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for OU and now we get to play the team that's one the BCSNC 3 of the last 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I hope we can pull it off, but I just dont want to get embarrassed...

westbrooke
12/9/2013, 07:40 PM
Well, last year was the only time we got our azz kicked in a while.

I dont know what to think about this game. If this was any other OU team in the past. I would say we have a chance with our offense, but this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for OU and now we get to play the team that's one the BCSNC 3 of the last 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I hope we can pull it off, but I just dont want to get embarrassed...

The potential for that is there, of course, just like we came out flat against Texas and Baylor. But we showed up big on the road against ND and OSU. I don't know what the secret is. As long as we can avoid pissing ourselves when the spotlight hits us, I think we can give them a good game. And with just a little bit of success to build some confidence, we absolutely have the ability to win. And you're right, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and yet here we are. Some stability at QB would be good for my blood pressure, but I like how scrappy this team can be.

aurorasooner
12/9/2013, 09:37 PM
We'll see if Bob and Mike are still defensive geniuses. It will be all for naught though, if Heupel brings the SOS on offense to the game and doesn't change his conservative game plan up a lot. if he does bring the SOS, Saban will own him. Hopefully this won't turn out like last year and our offense will actually help our D out a bit.
I would love to sneak up on them and win this one as it would definitely help recruiting out, but right now, I'd settle for us just showing up and not getting blown out as we did in Dallas and Waco.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 09:51 PM
OU does NOT sneak up anyone. Bama will be ready and they will get outplayed. I just don't get why this is so hard to accept.

FirstandGoal
12/9/2013, 09:56 PM

Why do you hate vajajay's?

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 10:01 PM
OU does NOT sneak up anyone. Bama will be ready and they will get outplayed. I just don't get why this is so hard to accept.

Be careful...many people on this site don't truck anything but complete blind zealotry. You are to believe that OU is THE best team every year no matter what. The possibility that you can be a faithful OU fan yet see the shortcomings of a particular Sooner team is considered to be impossible by many on this blog.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 10:23 PM
Be careful...many people on this site don't truck anything but complete blind zealotry. You are to believe that OU is THE best team every year no matter what. The possibility that you can be a faithful OU fan yet see the shortcomings of a particular Sooner team is considered to be impossible by many on this blog.

Zealot,,, maybe but it's not zealotry to believe we can win. You have brought negavity, I'm the opposite bro.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 10:26 PM
Zealot,,, maybe but it's not zealotry to believe we can win. You have brought negavity, I'm the opposite bro.

Hey, you and I simply disagree on who will win the game. Some point in the future there will be a game that you don't think OU will win (even though like the rest of us you hope it does)...when that day comes, you won't be any less of a fan

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/9/2013, 10:37 PM
There's a big difference between someone saying they don't think OU will win a game and saying that they think the other team will win convincingly.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 10:46 PM
There's a big difference between someone saying they don't think OU will win a game and saying that they think the other team will win convincingly.

No not really. It's just two Sooner fans disagreeing on the margin of the loss. The one who predicts the smaller margin of loss is by no means a bigger, better Sooner fan than the other.

Back in '97, do you think there wasn't a single Sooner fan who said, "Geez, Nebraska is going to kick the hell out of us"? This is a crucial question, because if you say "yes", then you really need STRONG medication. The few Sooner fans (and there must have been at least one) who predicted that OU would beat Nebraska that year, weren't better, bigger, more loyal fans. They were just stupid.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 11:02 PM

Do you looks at yer wife with her cross eyes an wart on her nose an say shes beautifuls?

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 11:03 PM

Heh

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/9/2013, 11:14 PM
I don't possess that photographic, play by play, year by year football game memory that guys seem to, so I can't comment on '97. Besides I lived on the East Coast back then and nationwide TV coverage wasn't what it is now.

The most recent comparison I can make is the 2005 Holiday Bowl. Nobody but nobody predicted we would beat Oregon, not even me. I even remember saying that I was really excited to be going to the game even though we would probably get our asses kicked.

Note "probably." That denotes room for error, the possibility that just maybe our team would pull off the win. Which they did.

I certainly wasn't proclaiming that the Ducks would without a doubt beat us convincingly.

So yeah, I think decisively predicting such a defeat instead of thinking realistically that it'll probably happen, but then again maybe not, is a lesser level of fandom. Your views obviously vary.

I think defeating Alabama will be tough. I also don't think it's impossible, as you obviously do.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 11:32 PM
I don't possess that photographic, play by play, year by year football game memory that guys seem to, so I can't comment on '97. Besides I lived on the East Coast back then and nationwide TV coverage wasn't what it is now.

The most recent comparison I can make is the 2005 Holiday Bowl. Nobody but nobody predicted we would beat Oregon, not even me. I even remember saying that I was really excited to be going to the game even though we would probably get our asses kicked.

Note "probably." That denotes room for error, the possibility that just maybe our team would pull off the win. Which they did.

I certainly wasn't proclaiming that the Ducks would without a doubt beat us convincingly.

So yeah, I think decisively predicting such a defeat instead of thinking realistically that it'll probably happen, but then again maybe not, is a lesser level of fandom. Your views obviously vary.

I think defeating Alabama will be tough. I also don't think it's impossible, as you obviously do.

Oh really? So there was not a single Vegas book that got any action for OU on the money-line? Jeez...really San Diego, load your brains before you shoot your mouth off.

Temujin
12/10/2013, 12:24 PM
Regardless of this year's team, Bama is the top program by any measure as STEP said. And as far a resume goes., everyone who watched the Auburn game knows they had mulitiple chances to win that game. If they had, their resume would look completely difference having bagged #4. The fact they didn't win hurts the resume, but doesn't change their team strength.

I'm not saying that Alabama isn't a damn good team...but I think everyone's giving them too much credit THIS YEAR because they've been THE top program. Up until Auburn, their schedule was actually very lean. I honestly think that based on what they've accomplished, they don't deserve an automatic #3. I think Michigan State and even a 2-loss Stanford have a better resume THIS year. Their resume isn't a whole lot different than Baylor or Ohio State, to be honest, but simply because of their coach/conference they're just automatically stamped as #3 overall. That's the part I don't agree with.

And while they're definitely a solid top program, I also think that they're vulnerable enough this year for OU to have a good shot at a win. Of course, a lot of that depends on how healthy we can get before the game. But I don't think we're as much of a long shot in this one as the majority believe.

SoonerKnight
12/10/2013, 01:41 PM
Lost to Baylor and Texas

Uh.....TT was ranked and undefeated when we beat them and they were top 10. Also, Saxet I do not believe was ranked and that game was more a fluke than anything. We I believe are 3-1 versus ranked teams and most of those ranked teams were top 10.

SoonerKnight
12/10/2013, 01:43 PM
We are a long shot!! Only because Bama has won so much the last few years and we have not had the luck to win like they have. As an underdog though I think we have a chance!!

SoonerKnight
12/10/2013, 01:45 PM
Oh really? So there was not a single Vegas book that got any action for OU on the money-line? Jeez...really San Diego, load your brains before you shoot your mouth off.

You are nasty aren't you!!!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/10/2013, 02:16 PM

And this, fellow posters, is a brilliant example of a cogent response to a football argument.

Snrinhouston
12/10/2013, 02:54 PM
And this, fellow posters, is a brilliant example of a cogent response to a football argument.

Actually it is. It's a rhetorical question that counters your point. Of course, there were thousands (if not millions) bet on OU for the money line. Given that the money line is a simple win/lose bet (no point spread involved), then it can't be true that "nobody but nobody" thought OU would beat Oregon.

sooner_born_1960
12/10/2013, 02:58 PM
blog?

Temujin
12/10/2013, 03:55 PM
Actually it is. It's a rhetorical question that counters your point. Of course, there were thousands (if not millions) bet on OU for the money line. Given that the money line is a simple win/lose bet (no point spread involved), then it can't be true that "nobody but nobody" thought OU would beat Oregon.

Actually, you misunderstood the fact that her statement was hyperbolic in nature. Then in a desperate attempt to seem intelligent, you made a sarcastic comment based on your literal interpretation of her post. All you've proven so far is that you're incapable of comprehending the English language properly, and that you're a jackass.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/10/2013, 03:57 PM

Actually it isn't. You pulled one statement out of my argument to dispute, and ignored the larger point I was making. That's a straw man response, not a cogent response.

Scott D
12/10/2013, 04:32 PM
.:pop::pop::pop:

SoonerKnight
12/10/2013, 06:53 PM
Actually, you misunderstood the fact that her statement was hyperbolic in nature. Then in a desperate attempt to seem intelligent, you made a sarcastic comment based on your literal interpretation of her post. All you've proven so far is that you're incapable of comprehending the English language properly, and that you're a jackass.

Exactly because who the **** uses the word "cogent" are you ****ing kidding me. Snrinhouston your a tool!! Seriously WOW!

CatfishSooner
12/10/2013, 10:55 PM
what a cogent dick hole

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2013, 11:05 PM
I'm not saying that Alabama isn't a damn good team...but I think everyone's giving them too much credit THIS YEAR because they've been THE top program. Up until Auburn, their schedule was actually very lean. I honestly think that based on what they've accomplished, they don't deserve an automatic #3. I think Michigan State and even a 2-loss Stanford have a better resume THIS year. Their resume isn't a whole lot different than Baylor or Ohio State, to be honest, but simply because of their coach/conference they're just automatically stamped as #3 overall. That's the part I don't agree with.

And while they're definitely a solid top program, I also think that they're vulnerable enough this year for OU to have a good shot at a win. Of course, a lot of that depends on how healthy we can get before the game. But I don't think we're as much of a long shot in this one as the majority believe.

Lots of words, but I think we're agreeing. I used the term "top program" on purpose, not team - as in this year. Program as in the consistently strong teams the current management has produced. And resume vs. power rating are different things. Yes, other teams have played tougher schedules, but that doesn't mean they are better. This year's Bama team would stand up well to any other one out there. That's not saying they would win them all, but they would be competitive. Just saying we drew a top notch opponent in terms of both perception and reality. It's definitely an opportunity. And who GAS about #3 vs. #whatever? If it isn't 1 or 2, it don't matter.

redkid
12/11/2013, 12:53 AM
OU wins this game' book it,,write it down,bank on it, bet the farm on it, bet the whole tamale and whatever else there is,,if you have more please add to it

rock on sooner
12/11/2013, 07:15 AM
OU wins this game' book it,,write it down,bank on it, bet the farm on it, bet the whole tamale and whatever else there is,,if you have more please add to it

Now THIS is confidence!

olevetonahill
12/11/2013, 07:57 AM
Now THIS is confidence!

But is it Cogent?

swardboy
12/11/2013, 09:08 AM
If two gents are together, each is a "co-gent".

Hope that helps.

olevetonahill
12/11/2013, 09:11 AM

Hope that helps.

Thanks fer clearin that up, I was like totally confused and shiat!

PrideMom
12/11/2013, 09:39 AM
It all depends what the refs are going to do on the field. I remember the Sugar Bowl when OU played LSU, and the whole thing was set-up! Even some OU fans found out that their tickets had been given to the LSU half time performers. BUT, the team that WANTS it more ususally is the winner in bowl games. (Boise State, West Virginia).

I hope that OU comes out with a lot of FUN plays. That is what we want to see. Remember the first years when Stoops came? BOOMER! SOONER!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2013, 09:40 AM
Cogenting is what Dean and I do on a cold winter's night listening to Kenny G and sippin on Boones Farm.

olevetonahill
12/11/2013, 09:43 AM
Cogenting is what Dean and I do on a cold winter's night listening to Kenny G and sippin on Boones Farm.

It just gets More clearer an clearer. Yall the bestest

badger
12/11/2013, 12:17 PM
1. Mack resigns this week
2. Saban to Texas next week.
3. Who's the underdog in the Sugar Bowl now, b!tch!

swardboy
12/11/2013, 12:22 PM
Oooo Badger! That's not very co-gentle.

picasso
12/11/2013, 12:39 PM
No not really. It's just two Sooner fans disagreeing on the margin of the loss. The one who predicts the smaller margin of loss is by no means a bigger, better Sooner fan than the other.

Back in '97, do you think there wasn't a single Sooner fan who said, "Geez, Nebraska is going to kick the hell out of us"? This is a crucial question, because if you say "yes", then you really need STRONG medication. The few Sooner fans (and there must have been at least one) who predicted that OU would beat Nebraska that year, weren't better, bigger, more loyal fans. They were just stupid.

Is this really a good example? We are slightly better at football than we were in '97.
I'm not going to gang up on you because I could care less but I haven't seen very many positive statements coming out of your keyboard.
It must suck to be you.

badger
12/11/2013, 12:41 PM
Oooo Badger! That's not very co-gentle.

I'm not a tame badger. Now... do we want Saban to Texas to happen so we win the Sugar Bowl this year, or do we not want it to happen so that we still can win the Big 12 the next decade. Not sure if want...

sooner46
12/11/2013, 02:36 PM
Can we beat Bama? YES, will it be easy no, if were easy we would let OSU do it.

BOOMER SOONER

Mongo
12/11/2013, 03:01 PM

I know stats don't tell the whole story. But they do tell part of a story.

There is a lot of misconception about Bama.
When I think of Bama, I think of a team you can't stop from running and a team that you can't run against.

Neither is completely true - especially the part that you can't stop them from running.

A brief look at this year's stats, which do mean something at this point in the year, says two things real quick.

First, Bama is the best D we've seen all year.
Second, surprisingly, we're the best defense they've seen too.
Statistically, we're the second best D they've seen. Va Tech being #1.

But Va Tech played no one. The best win Va Tech has this year is either N.carolina or Ga. Tech. They didn't beat a ranked team all year.
AND.... Bama played Va. Tech the first game of the year.
So, sinse then, we're the best D Bama will face all year. I honstly think Va Tech's defense isn't as good as ours is.

Offensively, they throw better than we do (no kidding right?) - well exept for Grant Bothun, who at this point has a 99.9% passer rating (Thanks OSU!!! :) )
But they're not great at it. They're #60 in the county. We're #99.

And the defenses they've played are just a bit below the level of defenses we've faced.
And Auburn, who they just lost to isn't even on the first page of stats (top 50) of total defense.
Bama's offense only put 28 against Auburn, a defense that is worse than many we've faced this year. Worse than OSU and we just put up 33 against them with a rag tag beat up offense playing 3 QBs in one game with 4 different people thowing passes.

My point? We can win a defensive battle with Alabama.
And I think we can score more than most believe as long as we don't drop the ball like we did against Texas - our worst game of the year by far.

Quick list of stats...

2nd best rush defense Bama has seen - Va tech #8 and the statistical best to date
OU #27
LSU #43 (statistically the 2nd best D Bama has seen up to this point in all D categories)
Bama is the best rush D we've seen #11
Best we've seen so far is OSU at 22 followed by Baylor at 25 - both better than any team Bama has seen this year

2nd best scoring D they've seen -- Va Tech best to date
But then we're 23, Next best they've seen is LSU at 30
We've played OSU #14 baylor #19 - both better than any team Bama has seen this year (excluding Va Tech)
Bama #2 scoring D.

2nd best total D - Va Tech best to date
We're 13.
Next best they've seen is LSU at 20
Baylor was #17 - So we've played better defenses than Bama has to date.
Total D Alabama #5

Bama beat 2 ranked teams.
LSU 38-17
and Ole Miss 25-0
Lost to Auburn

Lost to Baylor and Texas

So, Oklahoma has the best win of both Bama by OU beating OSU (vs. Bama beating LSU)
But Bama has 1 more win against ranked teams (LSU and Ole Miss - who statistically is pretty bad and I think gets love for being in the SEC)

Offense:
Bama #18 Rush offense
OU #21

Pass:
Bama #60
OU #99

Keep in mind when looking at the offensive stats here, we've played better defenses than Bama. We run the ball as good as they do.

I can't find any passing D stats on the NCAA site tonight for some reason.

You are ****ing crazy. OU will get sodomized

rock on sooner
12/11/2013, 03:06 PM

Hope that helps.

Izzat anything like a bro-mance?

Big12Guy
12/11/2013, 03:33 PM
Can anybody not play pretty close to their best game and defeat Alabama? Not sure I can buy into that. Don't forget what happened in the second half of the Cotton Bowl when Oklahoma didn't play their best game, and that was against the 5th best team in the SEC (prior to the bowl games). I don't believe in the SEC hype, but what has happened the last 7 years speaks for itself. At this time, of this year, I believe any team has to be at their best to beat Alabama. I firmly believe if the Sooners play their best, they have a shot, and if they don't...forget about it.

badger
12/11/2013, 03:41 PM
I don't believe in the SEC hype

Sooo... big 12 guy... do you chant "big 12" a lot :P

j/k welcome to sf.com

Eielson
12/11/2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not a tame badger. Now... do we want Saban to Texas to happen so we win the Sugar Bowl this year, or do we not want it to happen so that we still can win the Big 12 the next decade. Not sure if want...

I'd rather lose to Alabama and beat Texas if that's the question. I don't care if Saban goes to Texas or not, though. As a Dolphins fan I know said, "Nick Saban exists to **** people off." LSU fans know what he was talking about, and pretty soon Bama fans may also. If he goes to Texas, he won't last long.

Eielson
12/11/2013, 09:46 PM
Can anybody not play pretty close to their best game and defeat Alabama? Not sure I can buy into that. Don't forget what happened in the second half of the Cotton Bowl when Oklahoma didn't play their best game, and that was against the 5th best team in the SEC (prior to the bowl games). I don't believe in the SEC hype, but what has happened the last 7 years speaks for itself. At this time, of this year, I believe any team has to be at their best to beat Alabama. I firmly believe if the Sooners play their best, they have a shot, and if they don't...forget about it.

The last 7 years say that Meyer and Saban are bad-a**. It's really not about the SEC. Realignment favors the Big XII. None of this matters, though, because Saban is coaching the team we're getting ready to play.

swardboy
12/12/2013, 08:16 AM

I'll consider that a win-win situation. And I guess I've never heard of a "tame" badger, so well-played...heh.

SoonerKnight
12/12/2013, 11:33 AM
Saban or no Saban I could GAS! I think we win in NOLA! I truly have a feeling this team pulls it off. I think a little Sooner Magic!!! Which we have seen more of this season then in a long time. OU on paper is outmatched we look like the underdog. Our QB play has been inconsistant at best. That said this team has heart and plays with it. To come back with 1:48 left and win a huge game like that. I like this teams heart!

SoonerForLife92
12/12/2013, 01:12 PM
I can't tell who is being sarcastic anymore but I am so sick of all you fans saying we will get absolutely stomped. You have been watching too much espn and their SEC money money money bias. We got stomped last year by an "SEC" team because of Manziel and because our offense sucked and could not move the ball. A&M didn't get loads better because they went to the SEC. They got better because of Manziel, and now they have 4 losses anyway because he is inconsistent and they have no D... Also the SEC finally started playing offense with good QBs as Stoops pointed out.

Whoever said the SEC is regarded so greatly is because of Saban and Meyer is correct in my opinion. Also the post-season should not be the only factor in determining a conferences or teams success but apparently it is these days. We might as well not even play the regular season anymore huh. Or at least schedule 2+ fcs and mac/wac etc teams like the SEC does. No more notre dames or florida states or etc for us. Wow that would be boring. (Okay LSU usually schedules hard ill give them that, and Bama had their opener at VT and Georgia with Clemson but still, look at the rest of their OOC schedule besides Rivalries).

I am not confident in any means at playing Alabama but I believe it will be a good game if our guys fight hard and we have some great playcalling. However any other SEC team I would say bring em on. Hell I am saying that about the SEC's best team that we are playing anyway.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 02:09 PM
Saban or no Saban I could GAS! I think we win in NOLA! I truly have a feeling this team pulls it off. I think a little Sooner Magic!!! Which we have seen more of this season then in a long time. OU on paper is outmatched we look like the underdog. Our QB play has been inconsistant at best. That said this team has heart and plays with it. To come back with 1:48 left and win a huge game like that. I like this teams heart!

I beg to differ. Last seasons WVU and OSU games was the start of a little magic. And I really believe it carries over because there a many players from last years' squad still playing. Before those 2 games last season, it had been a long while since we had won in the last minutes of a game.

Eielson
12/12/2013, 02:18 PM
Our players expect to win. That's for sure.

OUster
12/12/2013, 02:39 PM
Just a thought, but weren't we more talented on paper and supposed to destroy Boise and West Virginia in bowl games past? I know we had out recruited a&m for years leading up to last year's cotton bowl *** whipping. The tide has to turn for us eventually...literally.if anyone has proven that bowl games can be traps...we have. I think we have a fighter's chance against bama.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2013, 03:45 PM
Just a thought, but weren't we more talented on paper and supposed to destroy Boise and West Virginia in bowl games past? I know we had out recruited a&m for years leading up to last year's cotton bowl *** whipping. The tide has to turn for us eventually...literally.if anyone has proven that bowl games can be traps...we have. I think we have a fighter's chance against bama.

No and no. More talented than Boise? Yes, but that was not a great Sooner squad and it was inexperienced compared to BSU which was loaded with 5th year seniors. We should have won, but not destroyed them. WVU was a very good and talented team and was a hand injury to Pat White away from playing in the title game against tOSU. And they would have won too, IMO. White was healed by the bowl game and it looked like a great matchup on paper if we were at full strength. But we were missing DeMarco Murray, Malcolm Kelly, Granger (before back problems. when he was good), Reggie Smith, another starting DB (Lendl?) and our best pass rusher (Austin?) was coming back from a leg fracture and was ineffective. Basically, it was OU minus most their all-conference players. Not implying anything about our upcoming game, just that our being heavy favorites in those games you mentioned was only from ignorance.

Eielson
12/12/2013, 04:26 PM
I thought WVU was really talented. I'm sure we were more talented than BSU, but I don't know if the gap is as huge as you'd think. They had guys like Clady on that team.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2013, 05:07 PM
Boise was higher ranked and undefeated..The line was smallish, so I don't look at that game in the same light as others.

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 05:14 PM
Boise was higher ranked and undefeated..The line was smallish, so I don't look at that game in the same light as others.

STEP you know better, BSU was ranked 9th and undefeated we were ranked 7th

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2013, 05:23 PM
STEP you know better, BSU was ranked 9th and undefeated we were ranked 7th

BCS standings..Boise was 8, Oklahoma was 10..BCS bowl not an AP bowl :)

olevetonahill
12/12/2013, 05:47 PM
BCS standings..Boise was 8, Oklahoma was 10..BCS bowl not an AP bowl :)

My bad LOL
Shoulda known I couldnt get ya LOL

Temujin
12/16/2013, 04:28 PM
Lots of words, but I think we're agreeing. I used the term "top program" on purpose, not team - as in this year. Program as in the consistently strong teams the current management has produced. And resume vs. power rating are different things. Yes, other teams have played tougher schedules, but that doesn't mean they are better. This year's Bama team would stand up well to any other one out there. That's not saying they would win them all, but they would be competitive. Just saying we drew a top notch opponent in terms of both perception and reality. It's definitely an opportunity. And who GAS about #3 vs. #whatever? If it isn't 1 or 2, it don't matter.

Oh yeah, we agree. Sorry, I probably was half asleep when I read your post and responded. LOL

I think what I'm trying to get at is that at #3 they're probably ranked a little higher than they should be - not really a dig at their ranking, but that there is a little bit (granted, it's a minor thing) of unproven-ness to this Bama team in comparison to other seasons.