PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lists...

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 10:14 PM
I asked my boys (18 & 14) to give me their Christmas list...wow have things changed since I was a kid.

Nothing but electronics on both lists (laptops, the new XBox, etc.). Both of my boys have smartphones (an iPhone and a Galaxy S4). They both have iPads. And, the one that needs it (the 18 year old) has a laptop. Both have game consoles (not the one that was just released, but still the one most of their friends have). So, they are doing fine in that department.

I miss the days when I could get them Legos and nerf guns. At least I got enjoyment out of those.

Anyone else dealing with the electronic Christmas list?

Needless to say, they won't be getting many (if anything) on their lists.

Ton Loc
12/9/2013, 12:35 AM
Check out the lists from Deadspin's articles

My Kid's Insane Christmas Wish List, Annotated (http://deadspin.com/my-kids-insane-christmas-wish-list-annotated-1476311653)

It starts early - at least your kids are older. My 9 year old daughter wants an iphone and her own tablet. Luckily, my four year old son is cool with legos, robots, and hot wheels.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 05:28 AM
I asked my boys (18 & 14) to give me their Christmas list...wow have things changed since I was a kid.

Nothing but electronics on both lists (laptops, the new XBox, etc.). Both of my boys have smartphones (an iPhone and a Galaxy S4). They both have iPads. And, the one that needs it (the 18 year old) has a laptop. Both have game consoles (not the one that was just released, but still the one most of their friends have). So, they are doing fine in that department.

I miss the days when I could get them Legos and nerf guns. At least I got enjoyment out of those.

Anyone else dealing with the electronic Christmas list?

Needless to say, they won't be getting many (if anything) on their lists.

My Newegg purchase was rather extensive this year. Nobody knows, specifically, what to get me so I have everyone in my family just give me money. With that I bought the following for myself:

Sapphire R9 280x Graphics Card
Moto X Unlocked
Asus 238h(white) 23" gaming monitor with a 1ms RT
Condor Modular Sling Bag
A new antenna and lapel mic for my Baofeng UV-5Rc
...and I replaced my Dye Rotor with a new one

I also bought all of the necessary components to build my sister a new PC. All of that should be in tomorrow...
I bought my aunt a Chromecast.

I'm sure there's some other stuff I don't yet know about and won't until Christmas, but that's the stuff I'm definitely getting since I ordered it myself (those are the best gifts). :D

yermom
12/9/2013, 05:37 AM
I'm digging the chromecast.

dwarthog
12/9/2013, 08:29 AM
Add me to the list of Chromecast fans.

Does a great job of bridging the gap from your portable devices, phones and tablets, to your tv at a very reasonable cost. Well done Google.

badger
12/9/2013, 09:38 AM
I'm digging the chromecast.

NP got one and it's a lot of fun coupled with an iPad and Netflix. It might seem complicated to old farts, but it really isn't. Bring youtube/Netflix up on an iPad, play something and then hit a button. Voila! It's on your TV instead.

I don't think a lot of kids realize how much some of these new tech gifts cost. If they fall under that category, give them a prepaid credit card or a check and let em save toward it. By the time they have the money, there will probably be something newer and better out anyway

SoonerInFortSmith
12/9/2013, 10:35 AM
I'm gonna have to bring in my teenage daughter to translate all this nerd talk for me.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 03:48 PM

My Kid's Insane Christmas Wish List, Annotated (http://deadspin.com/my-kids-insane-christmas-wish-list-annotated-1476311653)

It starts early - at least your kids are older. My 9 year old daughter wants an iphone and her own tablet. Luckily, my four year old son is cool with legos, robots, and hot wheels.

I saw that. That's what prompted me to start this thread. I miss the days when my boys asked for a spaceship.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 03:50 PM
NP got one and it's a lot of fun coupled with an iPad and Netflix. It might seem complicated to old farts, but it really isn't. Bring youtube/Netflix up on an iPad, play something and then hit a button. Voila! It's on your TV instead.

I don't think a lot of kids realize how much some of these new tech gifts cost. If they fall under that category, give them a prepaid credit card or a check and let em save toward it. By the time they have the money, there will probably be something newer and better out anyway

No, they don't. My 18 year old has a better clue, and his list reflected that a little better. But, my 14 year old has no concept of money. I mean, he has a basic understanding, but he's at the age where he thinks I have an endless supply of money and if I choose not to buy him something, it's because I'm "mean".

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2013, 04:03 PM

With you on this one..My 9 yeard old daughter wants an iPad while my 7 year old son wants star wars figures and beyblades.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 04:04 PM
I've been a tech geek/nerd since I was five. Major electronic purchases have always been the bulk of my Christmas wish list. Hell, I had my 5th or 6th PC before either of my parents had a computer. Neither of them were even on the internet until well after I left for college.

I always knew exactly how much all of that cost. They're the ones who never had a clue about the price.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 04:06 PM
And the Chromecast is an AWESOME gift for any tech-loving friend or family member. It's only $35.00 and very powerful. Also, keep in mind, you can download a file explorer extension for Chrome so that you can stream all of your locally stored content to your TV via the browser.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:24 PM
The last electronic gizmo I purchased for one of my kids for Christmas was Guitar Hero. If they want a ****ing computer or all those fancy accessories y'all are talking about and I have no clue about they can do like Sicem and buy them for themselves for Christmas.

I prefer to buy my kids useful ****. One of my boys needs a new chainsaw, so a Stihl is in Santa's bag. Another just had a TV go out, so a almost-new Sony is in the bag. The others just need cash, so Santa has some of that in there as well. Grandkids? Money for their college funds into their credit union accounts, and I'm sure momma will come up with some trinkets of some sort. She also always gives each of the 3 married kids big ol' tupperware tote boxes full of Crunch n Munch, toilet paper, lotion, DVDs, jerkey, nuts, etc.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 05:17 PM
The last electronic gizmo I purchased for one of my kids for Christmas was Guitar Hero. If they want a ****ing computer or all those fancy accessories y'all are talking about and I have no clue about they can do like Sicem and buy them for themselves for Christmas.

I prefer to buy my kids useful ****. One of my boys needs a new chainsaw, so a Stihl is in Santa's bag. Another just had a TV go out, so a almost-new Sony is in the bag. The others just need cash, so Santa has some of that in there as well. Grandkids? Money for their college funds into their credit union accounts, and I'm sure momma will come up with some trinkets of some sort. She also always gives each of the 3 married kids big ol' tupperware tote boxes full of Crunch n Munch, toilet paper, lotion, DVDs, jerkey, nuts, etc.

I would love that for Christmas. She's a good one Dean, you should probably keep her around ;)

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 05:20 PM
I would love that for Christmas. She's a good one Dean, you should probably keep her around ;)

She's practical, and she's not real hard to look at. Yeah, I'll keep her for a bit more.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 05:22 PM
She's practical, and she's not real hard to look at. Yeah, I'll keep her for a bit more.

You Better, But Im with you My Grand kids get Money fer School, My Grown kids get a card.

badger
12/9/2013, 05:24 PM
No, they don't. My 18 year old has a better clue, and his list reflected that a little better. But, my 14 year old has no concept of money. I mean, he has a basic understanding, but he's at the age where he thinks I have an endless supply of money and if I choose not to buy him something, it's because I'm "mean".

Toddler baj is only 1 year old (will be 2 early next year). What type of luck do all you parents have with letting kids do extra chores to earn money for that stuff you don't want to buy them but they really want. I've read expert advice on the subject but as I'm still relatively close to being a kid I know that such activities can only go as far as a kid's desire to have money. "I can earn a dollar by taking out the trash? I'd rather be lazy and not earn a dollar." or something like that

Also, I know going into Christmas and birthdays what my parents budget for gifts on each was yearly, or at least I did when I was older. How much do you all share with your kids as far as family finances goes?

Toddler baj doesn't get the concept of Christmas yet really, but she loves the pretty outdoor lights mommy climbed a scary ladder to staple to the roof.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 05:47 PM
I dealt with the electronic LIST last year. It's just how they are these days. This year he wants NO electronics. However, he does want high dollar undergarments and cologne. I'm more frightened now.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 05:53 PM
I dealt with the electronic LIST last year. It's just how they are these days. This year he wants NO electronics. However, he does want high dollar undergarments and cologne. I'm more frightened now.

Um, what kind of undergarments?

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 06:00 PM
Um, what kind of undergarments?

Heh,,just underwear. Guess fruit of the looms aynt good enuf anymore.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 06:09 PM
Toddler baj is only 1 year old (will be 2 early next year). What type of luck do all you parents have with letting kids do extra chores to earn money for that stuff you don't want to buy them but they really want. I've read expert advice on the subject but as I'm still relatively close to being a kid I know that such activities can only go as far as a kid's desire to have money. "I can earn a dollar by taking out the trash? I'd rather be lazy and not earn a dollar." or something like that

Also, I know going into Christmas and birthdays what my parents budget for gifts on each was yearly, or at least I did when I was older. How much do you all share with your kids as far as family finances goes?

Toddler baj doesn't get the concept of Christmas yet really, but she loves the pretty outdoor lights mommy climbed a scary ladder to staple to the roof.

First, requiring your kids to do chores is a form of child abuse. I never did a single chore in my entire life, and I turned out fine.

Second, buy your kids electronics early and often. In this day and age, that is going to give them a leg up on their peers in an area that is already an essential part of life. Knowing your way around a computer, being able to do some minor coding, knowing how to repair, and building your own system are going to serve your kid better than teaching them how to plow a field. I had my first computer (Commodore 64) at age 5. I learned my way around BASIC programming fairly quickly. Years of tech knowledge have saved me money, made it easier to learn new systems, and in general served me very well.

Do NOT worry about about the cost of things with little-Baj. Get her whatever is going to help her in the long run. It's better than Barbie dolls and other useless crap/toys.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 06:26 PM
First, requiring your kids to do chores is a form of child abuse. I never did a single chore in my entire life, and I turned out fine.

Second, buy your kids electronics early and often. In this day and age, that is going to give them a leg up on their peers in an area that is already an essential part of life. Knowing your way around a computer, being able to do some minor coding, knowing how to repair, and building your own system are going to serve your kid better than teaching them how to plow a field. I had my first computer (Commodore 64) at age 5. I learned my way around BASIC programming fairly quickly. Years of tech knowledge have saved me money, made it easier to learn new systems, and in general served me very well.

Do NOT worry about about the cost of things with little-Baj. Get her whatever is going to help her in the long run. It's better than Barbie dolls and other useless crap/toys.

Dude, first and foremost, you turned out something very far and distant from "fine." Not even in the same universe as "fine." Just sayin.

Not everyone wants to grow up to be a pasty-faced geek sitting in mom's basement playing video games. Not everyone wants to grow up to be an IT guy either. It may be their upbringing, but I don't have a single geek out of my 5 boys. One's a welder, one's an electrician, one's a soldier, one's a bill collector, one's a driver, and one's a POS. 4 outta 5 ain't bad. They all do play some video games at times, but none of them does it every day; or even every week, and the older ones probably wouldn't know dick about the last several iterations of Call of Booty or whatever you freaks obsess over.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 06:29 PM
Also, I never paid a penny of allowance for chores. Chores are chores. Men work. I paid for everything they wore/ingested/slept in/rode in or on/broke or needed to have removed/chewed with/etc. for 18 long years. They could do chores for the next 50 and we still wouldn't be square. Child abuse. Meh. You'd have been the one we put in the bag and tossed into the pond.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 06:39 PM
Dude, first and foremost, you turned out something very far and distant from "fine." Not even in the same universe as "fine." Just sayin.

Not everyone wants to grow up to be a pasty-faced geek sitting in mom's basement playing video games. Not everyone wants to grow up to be an IT guy either. It may be their upbringing, but I don't have a single geek out of my 5 boys. One's a welder, one's an electrician, one's a soldier, one's a bill collector, one's a driver, and one's a POS. 4 outta 5 ain't bad. They all do play some video games at times, but none of them does it every day; or even every week, and the older ones probably wouldn't know dick about the last several iterations of Call of Booty or whatever you freaks obsess over.

:smh: You don't have to be an IT guy or play games. It literally benefits every part of your life to be adept at consumer electronics and computing.

Do you have to want to be a mechanic to learn how to change a tire or the oil in your car?

Do you have to want to be a construction worker to know how to nail together a couple of boards?

Do you have to want to be a plumber to know how to fix the kitchen sink?

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 06:40 PM
I'd rather know how to do it myself than pay $140.00 for the Geek Squad morons to run an anti-virus check.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 08:15 PM
I'd rather know how to do it myself than pay $140.00 for the Geek Squad morons to run an anti-virus check.

$140??? You seriously can't be that stupid. I'll pay $140 for some freak to fix my computer...while you pay $14,000 for some man to fix your patio deck or drop a carburetor in your POS Miata. Perspective/reality. You need to check it out sometime.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 08:48 PM

I'm probably not the best source, because both of my boys have had chores with no monetary reward. In other words, they are expected to do things because otherwise, they don't contribute. That's how I was raised, so I guess that's why I went that direction.

Money has always been a birthday thing with us, otherwise, they wait until they're old enough to work. Then again, my boys haven't exactly gone without, so like I said, I'm probably not a good source.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 08:50 PM
Also, I never paid a penny of allowance for chores. Chores are chores. Men work. I paid for everything they wore/ingested/slept in/rode in or on/broke or needed to have removed/chewed with/etc. for 18 long years. They could do chores for the next 50 and we still wouldn't be square. Child abuse. Meh. You'd have been the one we put in the bag and tossed into the pond.

I should have read this before posting. I concur with Dean's approach.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 09:10 PM
$140??? You seriously can't be that stupid. I'll pay $140 for some freak to fix my computer...while you pay $14,000 for some man to fix your patio deck or drop a carburetor in your POS Miata. Perspective/reality. You need to check it out sometime.
That's a fair point, but I would counter with the fact that I should know how to do all of those things myself...everything from the electronics to the construction to the mechanical. It's a serious lapse on my part that I don't know how to do those things. The point being, it's better to know how to do more than to know less.

We live in a digital world now. Knowing how to negotiate that digital world is a needed skill, but it shouldn't necessarily come at the expense of knowing other things. It's my own fault that, in my case, it has.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 09:12 PM
I aynt paying no one $14000 to fix my 9 by 9 wood deck. Hell, I only
Paid $373.32 to install it myself.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 09:15 PM
I'm probably not the best source, because both of my boys have had chores with no monetary reward. In other words, they are expected to do things because otherwise, they don't contribute. That's how I was raised, so I guess that's why I went that direction.

Money has always been a birthday thing with us, otherwise, they wait until they're old enough to work. Then again, my boys haven't exactly gone without, so like I said, I'm probably not a good source.

I honestly don't have an issue with making kids do things for themselves....like learning to clean their own room, take care of their own mess, etc. etc. However, I've never understood why kids should be forced to do things they had no part of. For example, why should a kid have to mow a lawn? The kid didn't have a say in buying the house that had the lawn.

Kids didn't sign up to be a farmer or rancher...their parents did. They were born into that situation. If they have absolutely no interest in farming or ranching, it seems inherently wrong to force them to be a another work or field hand.

I guess it's the libertarian in me, but I hate forcing anyone to do anything. I like to think that if I had kids then I would encourage them to do things while respecting their right to grow, learn, and adapt consistent with their own free will. Now if the kid decides that they voluntarily want to help, then that's a damned good sign you've raised a good kid.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 09:30 PM

Glad you got him dean I saw that and was Laughin so hard I lost 10 lbs. 5 from pissin myself and 5 from just burning Calories

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 09:32 PM
:smh: You don't have to be an IT guy or play games. It literally benefits every part of your life to be adept at consumer electronics and computing.

Do you have to want to be a mechanic to learn how to change a tire or the oil in your car?

Do you have to want to be a construction worker to know how to nail together a couple of boards?

Do you have to want to be a plumber to know how to fix the kitchen sink?

Sicem, I love ya But sadly YOU dont know anyof that crap.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 09:38 PM
Sicem, I love ya But sadly YOU dont know anyof that crap.
That's the point Vet....that's the point....

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 09:40 PM
I honestly don't have an issue with making kids do things for themselves....like learning to clean their own room, take care of their own mess, etc. etc. However, I've never understood why kids should be forced to do things they had no part of. For example, why should a kid have to mow a lawn? The kid didn't have a say in buying the house that had the lawn.

Kids didn't sign up to be a farmer or rancher...their parents did. They were born into that situation. If they have absolutely no interest in farming or ranching, it seems inherently wrong to force them to be a another work or field hand.

I guess it's the libertarian in me, but I hate forcing anyone to do anything. I like to think that if I had kids then I would encourage them to do things while respecting their right to grow, learn, and adapt consistent with their own free will. Now if the kid decides that they voluntarily want to help, then that's a damned good sign you've raised a good kid.

You're young. You'll feel much differently when you have kids.

Listen, I love my kids more than anything in the world. There is nothing I wouldn't do for them. But, raising kids is hard as hell (especially raising them right). You put yourself at the bottom of the priority list routinely. The kids come first at all times. However, if order for a household to run, everyone has to pull their own weight. When kids are really young, you teach them to be respectful and responsible. Part of that comes with taking care of their things. Of course, everything they have in the world was given to them by their parents, but that's not the point.

Once kids become teenagers (I can only speak for boys), they would rather not do anything. That becomes an issue. Sure, they didn't have a say in the house they live in, but guess what? They could be living in the ditch. So, since they were given a place to live, it's their responsibility to help maintain that. I don't expect my boys to replace the roof or fix the air conditioner. I do expect them to mow the lawn and clean the pool. They use both, and can help take care of both.

In many countries in this world, kid HAVE to work to feed their family. My kids get a free ride for 18 years. The least they can do is mow the grass and clean the dog poop off the lawn.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 09:42 PM

Sic In all seriousness PLEASE dont breed,
I a Kid cant Help By Mowing the Lawn whil Mom an dad are working to Put a roof over his head ,clothes on his back, and Food in his Gut Then the Little Lazy ****stick should go Cold, nekked (im ok with that) Homeless and hungry

If Ya dont work ya dont eat!

I took 4 of My young Brother in Laws camping a lot of years ago We woke up Started doing what needed doing One of em sat on his *** and dint do ****. I asked him 5 different times to gather wood etc. He just ignored me and let the other 3 do all the work I cooked up a Big ole camp breakfast served the 3 that worked and then Myself he said wheres Mine ? I said Ya dont work ya dont eat. Come Lunch time that boy did more work than the other 3 combined

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 09:57 PM
You're young. You'll feel much differently when you have kids.

Listen, I love my kids more than anything in the world. There is nothing I wouldn't do for them. But, raising kids is hard as hell (especially raising them right). You put yourself at the bottom of the priority list routinely. The kids come first at all times. However, if order for a household to run, everyone has to pull their own weight. When kids are really young, you teach them to be respectful and responsible. Part of that comes with taking care of their things. Of course, everything they have in the world was given to them by their parents, but that's not the point.

Once kids become teenagers (I can only speak for boys), they would rather not do anything. That becomes an issue. Sure, they didn't have a say in the house they live in, but guess what? They could be living in the ditch. So, since they were given a place to live, it's their responsibility to help maintain that. I don't expect my boys to replace the roof or fix the air conditioner. I do expect them to mow the lawn and clean the pool. They use both, and can help take care of both.

In many countries in this world, kid HAVE to work to feed their family. My kids get a free ride for 18 years. The least they can do is mow the grass and clean the dog poop off the lawn.

Amen!

FirstandGoal
12/9/2013, 11:01 PM
As someone who has had both a daughter and a son, I know a little about this as well.
Now that my son is in his 20's and living completely on his own he truly understands the value of a dollar. The only things he ever asks me for are unexpected expenses (like when his car needed $450 worth of work suddenly on Labor Day weekend) and things such as that. I can count on 2 fingers the times in the last 18 months I've had to give him any kind of money for anything other than birthday and Christmas gifts. Both times were things beyond his control and/or his budget. As his parent I was more than happy to help him out because I know he's making his best effort and I can see that.

My daughter is still in high school and living at home and requires higher maintenance. While her tastes tend to veer more into designer shoes and clothing rather than electronics, she still is pretty savvy when it comes to budgeting and she also knows the value of a dollar (just not as well as my son though since she's not yet had to worry about making rent and buying groceries.) Also, she's a breathtakingly beautiful so she will probably not end up hurting for anybody to shower gifts on her later in life.

What I have done for the kids the last few years is decide ahead of time what my budget is, then tell the kids this dollar amount. Then they get to decide what they want for that dollar amount whether it be electronics, toys, clothing, or cold hard cash. The son always chooses cash (and then I get him a few misc. "stocking stuffers") and the daughter always chooses to spend her budget on clothing/shoes/accessories.

Oh and as far as chores go.... I personally think its a form of child abuse to NOT make your child responsible for themselves and for their immediate surroundings. Someday they will be expected to be able to live on their own and if I send them out into the world with absolutely no clue how to take care of themselves then I've failed as a parent. That being said, I cannot for the life of me convince my daughter to cook a meal. If anybody has any advice in that area, I will gladly take it.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 11:04 PM
I'm tempted to breed just to prove to you all my completely theoretical parenting methods are superior to all of you people with oodles of practical experience. :D

olevetonahill
12/10/2013, 12:05 AM
I'm tempted to breed just to prove to you all my completely theoretical parenting methods are superior to all of you people with oodles of practical experience. :D

Breed a Bunch then we will have a herd of worms and can go fishin.

badger
12/10/2013, 02:13 PM
You all need to lay off SicEm. Unlike all of you know it all old farts, he has not experienced parenthood directly yet and his opinion is very welcome, if for no other reason than you all get such a chuckle out of it. It's kind of like his opinion on Baylor football. We all know that it sucks and that the Big 12 trophy they just got is going to be as lonely as OSU's 2011 one, but it's still fun to get a Baylor fan's perspective.

I can tell already that baby baj will love certain chores -- she loves to take everything out of her closet and hand it to me, 1 or 2 pairs of pants/pajamas at a time. She also absolutely loves the dish washer. She's sit on the door when it's open and take out forks and spoons to see how many she can hold at once.

I understand that there are some chores that will never be paid --- cleaning your own room, taking your dishes to the dishwasher, etc. However, for the excessive things (perhaps shoveling some unexpected Oklahoma snowfall on a school snow day?) that you'd typically pay somebody to do, it might warrant some compensation.

I remember one winter shoveling the driveway up north by myself. When I got back inside, I discovered that my brother was baking bread... probably so that mom and dad wouldn't order him to go outside to help me :D