PDA

View Full Version : So, ESPN tried to get OU out of the Sugar Bowl huh...

landrun
12/8/2013, 08:06 PM
The BCSGuru dude (Brad something I believe) said on his twitter page that ESPN wants to match Bama vs. Oregon for TV ratings. The Sugar Bowl committee wanted OU because they think Oklahoma will sell more tickets. But ESPN was trying to get us replaced with Oregon. That is when Phil Knight offered to buy up any left over Sugar Bowl tickets to help out Oregon and ESPN's cause.

We'll know for sure in a few minutes, but it looks like for now the Sugar Bowl is still picking us. But it irritates me how this stuff unfolds!

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 08:12 PM
....espenis can lick it and Phil knight can stick it

ss

Eielson
12/8/2013, 08:22 PM
Lame. For a stunt like that, they deserve to play Alabama. They'd get beat worse than us.

Scott D
12/8/2013, 08:24 PM
Irony is that the Big 12 becomes a permanent representative in the Sugar Bowl starting next year...we just wanted to start a year early ;)

Eielson
12/8/2013, 08:26 PM
Irony is that the Big 12 becomes a permanent representative in the Sugar Bowl starting next year...we just wanted to start a year early ;)

It's Big XII Champ vs. SEC champ after this year, right?

swardboy
12/8/2013, 08:27 PM
laissez les bon temps rouler!

ouduckhunter
12/8/2013, 08:36 PM
Everything about Phil Knight and his funding of the quack team just seems slimy, and rotten.

WTH doesn't he just start his own Nike/Quack Bowl and pour gazillions into it like he has for the Quack athletic programs!?

NorthernIowaSooner
12/8/2013, 08:45 PM

Yes, which I think was the reasoning on why we would be placed there.

dennis580
12/8/2013, 08:46 PM

Actually I hope the Big 12 champ never plays in that bowl. Would love to see the Big 12 champ in the playoffs every single year.

OkieThunderLion
12/8/2013, 08:57 PM
That is when Phil Knight offered to buy up any left over Sugar Bowl tickets to help out Oregon and ESPN's cause.

The tickets are the tip of the economical iceberg.

Eielson
12/8/2013, 09:03 PM
Actually I hope the Big 12 champ never plays in that bowl. Would love to see the Big 12 champ in the playoffs every single year.

The SEC champ will always be in the playoffs, but it's still going to work like the BCS bowls currently work.

Jacie
12/8/2013, 09:09 PM
That is when Phil Knight offered to buy up any left over Sugar Bowl tickets to help out Oregon and ESPN's cause.

Did he offer to rent the empty hotel rooms, buy up the unused tickets from the travel agencies, pay every restaurant and bar in New Orleans a large bonus, as well as the cab drivers and any local tourist attractions?

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 09:17 PM
It official now. OU vs Bama in sugar!!!! I hope bammer is ready for an azz kickn

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 09:19 PM
Did he offer to rent the empty hotel rooms, buy up the unused tickets from the travel agencies, pay every restaurant and bar in New Orleans a large bonus, as well as the cab drivers and any local tourist attractions?

Well, in all fairness, had Oregon been selected, they would have made up for those things with the hours of broadcasting spent talking about the long history and tradition of the two programs, and how this was a meeting of two traditional powers....oh, wait...

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 09:27 PM
Now we have to hear for almost a month how OU has no chance. I'm pissed off just thinking about it. I hope Sooner players are ticked!!

Mjcpr
12/8/2013, 09:29 PM
Now we have to hear for almost a month how OU has no chance. I'm pissed off just thinking about it. I hope Sooner players are ticked!!

Didn't get a lot of respect just now on the ESPN discussion. Sheridan says Alabama about an 11 point favorite right now.

We don't have a great chance but we have a chance. Somebody (who?) will have to make some throws for sure.

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 09:31 PM
Well, in all fairness, had Oregon been selected, they would have made up for those things with the hours of broadcasting spent talking about the long history and tradition of the two programs, and how this was a meeting of two traditional powers....oh, wait...

...they would, however, have stimulated the economy of countless third world countries with the production of a kaleidoscope of uniform and equipment options...which is after all what college football is all about

ss

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Mjcpr;4251243]
Didn't get a lot of respect just now on the ESPN discussion. [QUOTE]

Which is why I'm supremely confident we will kick the tar out of'em

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=okiewaker;4251252][QUOTE=Mjcpr;4251243]
Didn't get a lot of respect just now on the ESPN discussion. [QUOTE]

Which is why I'm supremely confident we will kick the tar out of'em

Judge Smails
12/8/2013, 09:36 PM
Neither OU or OSU got a lot of respect.

**** 'em.

Okie35
12/8/2013, 10:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oq2G5Bm.jpg

Okie35
12/8/2013, 10:53 PM
http://footbasket.com/ncaaf/fan-espn-penis-sign-conference-usa/

Couldn't get the pic to work from my phone

jiminy
12/8/2013, 11:04 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is actionable? Knight doesn't own the team, he's alumni. So you have a booster openly negotiating a financial deal for bowl placement? How is there not an NCAA rule on that?

And anyway, I heard the deal-killer was that Oregon wanted to bring Pac12 refs...

birddog
12/8/2013, 11:30 PM
http://footbasket.com/ncaaf/fan-espn-penis-sign-conference-usa/

Couldn't get the pic to work from my phone

I'm having a where's waldo? moment. Hope I see it

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2013, 12:27 AM

Why does that **** you off? Really, I don't understand why people react that way.

DBrown
12/9/2013, 12:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oq2G5Bm.jpg
WHAT A PARIAH....I'D RATHER HAVE A SEAT IN A ROOM FULL OF COBALT-60 than to be a THOUSAND MILES NEAR THE LIKES
OF THAT!

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 03:11 PM
I'm having a where's waldo? moment. Hope I see it

When you go to the site, it's at the very beginning of the video (on the left). The camera pans away very quickly (for obvious reasons).

badger
12/9/2013, 03:15 PM
I have to think that there's a certain level of bitterness and anger at the whole boosters, TV broadcasters and athletic apparel level of control in the college game to the point that college and bowls want to scream "NO!" to exert their (limited, but still existent) remaining authority in the game every so often.

More power to 'em. College sports are more beholden to these special interests than ever. Good on 'em for wanting a good game atmosphere rather than the "We Want Bama" t-shirt bowl

thecrimsoncrusader
12/9/2013, 03:23 PM
I know Phil Knight is filthy rich with an emphasis on "filthy", but I think he blew most of his college football budget on the 2006 Oklahoma/Oregon game. Just sayin'.