PDA

View Full Version : Gundy Votes Cowboys Ahead of Sooners

Judge Smails
12/8/2013, 05:17 PM
The USA Today Coaches Poll is out and, with it, the individual ballots. The coaches don’t release their ballots week to week but their final ballots that are used as part of the Bowl Championship Series equation are made public.

Both Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy are part of the panel that helps put the rankings together.

And although the Sooners beat OSU 33-24 on Saturday in Stillwater, Gundy still voted his Cowboys No. 10 in his final poll, ahead of the Sooners at No. 12.

Gundy’s Cowboys beat both Baylor and Texas this season, the two teams that Stoops’ Sooners lost to. OSU lost to West Virginia.

Gundy was hardly alone in keeping his Cowboys ahead of Oklahoma. Ten other coaches voted OSU ahead of OU, including Baylor’s Art Briles and Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly.

Briles gave both teams their highest votes in the poll, putting the Cowboys No. 6 and OU No. 7. He put his Bears No. 4.

Other voters who had OSU ahead of OU were Akron’s Terry Bowden, Northern Illinois’ Rod Carey, Eastern Michigan’s Ron English, North Carolina’s Larry Fedora, Arkansas State’s Bryan Harsin, SMU’s June Jones, Georgia’s Mark Richt and Utah’s Kyle Whittingham.

fadada1
12/8/2013, 05:30 PM
At this point, no big deal. They choked BIG TIME yesterday, and that's punishment enough for being a dumbass. Yeah, they beat Baylor... So what. They lost to a HORRIBLE wvu team. Enjoy yet another second-tier bowl, pokes.

Seriously, they are bad losers, and even worse winners.

Flying Scotsman
12/8/2013, 05:35 PM
To paraphrase someone else wrote in another thread...."Does Gundy have a locker room dance for this?"

Jacie
12/8/2013, 05:37 PM
On paper, versus common opponents, they do look better than the Sooners. The betting public agreed with the odds makers who pegged em a 10-point favorite. Let em think they are the better team, smile and say yes, yes you are 33-24.

ashley
12/8/2013, 05:47 PM
They would be better six out of ten times.

sooneredaco
12/8/2013, 06:41 PM

They were better 0 out of 1 times....

SicEmBaylor
12/8/2013, 06:41 PM
That's precious. Meaningless and precious.

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 09:16 PM
Here's how Bob voted:

1. FSU
2. Auburn
3. Alabama
4. Michigan State
5. Baylor
6. Ohio State
7. Missouri
8. Stanford
9. Oklahoma
10. South Carolina

I think that's pretty fair, although I would have swapped Baylor/Michigan State.

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 09:23 PM

...Gundy is 1 - 8 against Stoops

...I say you're mistaken

ss

Scott D
12/8/2013, 09:39 PM
I find it interesting that Ron English still had a vote

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 10:03 PM
I have no problem with the way Gundy voted, if he truly thought he had the better team. And as big an OU fan as I am, I'm not sure if those two teams played 10 times, that OU would win half of them. The best team doesn't always win (see OU v. Texas 1989-1991).

picasso
12/8/2013, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a Colorado mulligan.

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 10:09 PM
I have no problem with the way Gundy voted, if he truly thought he had the better team. And as big an OU fan as I am, I'm not sure if those two teams played 10 times, that OU would win half of them. The best team doesn't always win (see OU v. Texas 1989-1991).

That's the second time this logic has been used in this thread. Here's the thing, they only played once this year, and OU won. I agree with your point that "the best team doesn't always win", but I don't think that was the case Saturday.

This is the same OSU team that lost to WVU. It's not improbable to think OU is the better team.

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 10:12 PM
That's the second time this logic has been used in this thread. Here's the thing, they only played once this year, and OU won. I agree with your point that "the best team doesn't always win", but I don't think that was the case Saturday.

This is the same OSU team that lost to WVU. It's not improbable to think OU is the better team.

That's fine. The point we disagree about is whether OU had the better team. You think it did, and I'm not sure. Reasonable, well-meaning fans could disagree about that. But I'm sure we both agree that sending Boone Pickens home disappointed sure was satisfying.

picasso
12/8/2013, 10:13 PM
That's why it's so hard to go undefeated. You don't get a series. You get one game each week.

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 10:24 PM
...the better team doesn't lose at home with a BCS berth on the line, as a double digit favorite and a conference title in grasp. It was a fantasy

ss

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 10:27 PM
...the better team doesn't lose at home with a BCS berth on the line, as a double digit favorite and a conference title in grasp. It was a fantasy

ss

So given your logic, you think the 2001 OSU team was a better team than OU?

Soonerjeepman
12/8/2013, 10:30 PM
I also don't have a problem with it...yes OU won, with 20 points being SP teams. Yes, a win is a win. We got hammered by both ut and bum who they beat...yes we beat wv..barely at home, they lost on the road.

It is what it is...we won but who cares..it's not like he ranked his team #2 and OU #25..10/12 is close enough. Like everyone said, OU won...BOOMER!

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 10:31 PM

...so given your logic OU found a nut...gee, tell that to the team

ss

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 10:57 PM
...so given your logic OU found a nut...gee, tell that to the team

ss

Would appreciate an answer. You think that OSU's 4-7 2001 team was better than OU's 2001 team, correct?

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 11:08 PM
Would appreciate an answer. You think that OSU's 4-7 2001 team was better than OU's 2001 team, correct?

...kinda like aggy losing to 4 - 8 WVU

ss

sooneron
12/8/2013, 11:11 PM
Gundy has a small penis, so, nothing to see here...

From the scuttlebutt on Air Depot backinnaday...

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 11:14 PM
...kinda like aggy losing to 4 - 8 WVU

ss

Ok, well it seems that you will stubbornly stick to your statement that the better team wouldn't lose at home, as a double-digit favorite, with a BCS berth on the line...even though that is exactly what OU did in 2001 against a 4-7 OSU team. So either you think OSUs 2001 team was a better team than OU, or you have a problem saying, "Gee, I'm wrong." Which is it?

Therealsouthsider
12/8/2013, 11:21 PM
...but I'm not wrong, I side with the coaches poll, computers and final BCS standings...your stance of "I'm not sure" is not a reason

ss

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 11:34 PM
...but I'm not wrong, I side with the coaches poll, computers and final BCS standings...your stance of "I'm not sure" is not a reason

ss

This is a simple "yes" or "no" question. Was OSUs 2001 team better than OUs team? Yes or no?

the_ouskull
12/8/2013, 11:35 PM

No, they would not. In fact, they ARE not, having lost 10 of the last 11 now. That's even WORSE than the 4 of 10 that you postulated. You cray cray, Ashley.

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 11:45 PM
No, they would not. In fact, they ARE not, having lost 10 of the last 11 now. That's even WORSE than the 4 of 10 that you postulated. You cray cray, Ashley.

Umm. That is not responsive to Ashley's point (and I think you know it). We will never know what the records would be if the 2013 OU and OSU teams played eachother 10 times. Reasonable well-meaning fans may come to different conclusions. But reciting the record between the teams over the last 10 years is not relevant to the question, "Who has the better team between OU and OSU, THIS YEAR."

Ton Loc
12/8/2013, 11:52 PM
Umm. That is not responsive to Ashley's point (and I think you know it). We will never know what the records would be if the 2013 OU and OSU teams played eachother 10 times. Reasonable well-meaning fans may come to different conclusions. But reciting the record between the teams over the last 10 years is not relevant to the question, "Who has the better team between OU and OSU, THIS YEAR."

Hmm...someone is fighting a battle they won't win. Must be new to how message boards work.

Snrinhouston
12/8/2013, 11:55 PM
Hmm...someone is fighting a battle they won't win. Must be new to how message boards work.

Oh, trust me. I know they don't work on rational reasoning and cogently formed arguments. They usually run on reflexive, passion-driven arguments that aren't supported by facts.

soonergirlNeugene
12/8/2013, 11:58 PM
Oh, trust me. I know they don't work on rational reasoning and cogently formed arguments. They usually run on reflexive, passion-driven arguments that aren't supported by facts.

http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/addd540b-bbb2-4645-8f43-d7b8346760c1.png

TheUnnamedSooner
12/9/2013, 12:02 AM

2 different situations and they don't relate. Right now both OU and OSU are 10-2 and OU won head to head, therefore I would say OU is better team. In 2001, OSU was 4-8 against OU's 10 win season. So, no OSU was not the better team that season.

Ton Loc
12/9/2013, 12:03 AM

Coupled with the fact you're opinion is basically ****ting on your own team on our message board. So yeah, probably not going to work out. Give it a couple weeks. Right now we're all too busy blowing sunshine and enjoying the BCS selection.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 12:13 AM
Coupled with the fact you're opinion is basically ****ting on your own team on our message board. So yeah, probably not going to work out. Give it a couple weeks. Right now we're all too busy blowing sunshine and enjoying the BCS selection.

I'm not sh*tting on my team. OU is a good team this year. The coaches have accomplished more than I thought they could given the injuries. But my opinion is that this good team is not capable of beating a VERY good Alabama team.

Would it be sh*tting on OU if I said it couldn't beat the Denver Broncos? Of course not. Bama is not the Denver Broncos. But my point is that Bama is currently too much for OU to handle. I hope that changes within 2-3 years.

Ton Loc
12/9/2013, 12:30 AM
I'm not sh*tting on my team. OU is a good team this year. The coaches have accomplished more than I thought they could given the injuries. But my opinion is that this good team is not capable of beating a VERY good Alabama team.

Would it be sh*tting on OU if I said it couldn't beat the Denver Broncos? Of course not. Bama is not the Denver Broncos. But my point is that Bama is currently too much for OU to handle. I hope that changes within 2-3 years.

Thing is - you don't get to decide on the ****ting part. The generally and rightfully biased perspective of everyone else decides.

Come on - you said you understood how these things work and you're getting the same treatment in the other threads.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 12:42 AM
Thing is - you don't get to decide on the ****ting part. The generally and rightfully biased perspective of everyone else decides.

Come on - you said you understood how these things work and you're getting the same treatment in the other threads.

Well, if the "generally and rightfully biased perspective" think giving a dispassionate opinion on your team's strengths, weaknesses, and capabilities is sh*tting on your team, so be it.

That must mean that candidly appraising your children's, relative's, co-worker's (or your own) strengths, weaknesses, and capabilities is sh*tting on your children, relatives, co-workers, yourself?

So unless you say someone or something is perfect, couldn't be better, and is capable of accomplishing anything, then you are sh*tting on that person or thing. Hmmm, makes sense to me.

Snrinhouston
12/9/2013, 12:57 AM
2 different situations and they don't relate. Right now both OU and OSU are 10-2 and OU won head to head, therefore I would say OU is better team. In 2001, OSU was 4-8 against OU's 10 win season. So, no OSU was not the better team that season.

I agree. But according to south side, OSU was the better team because the better team would not have done the following:

1. Lose at home...2. when it's a double digit favorite...3. with a BCS bid on the line.

OU did exactly those three things in the 2001 Bedlam game, hence OSU must have been the better team. This is southside's logic...clearly written in this thread...it's not my logic.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/9/2013, 09:57 AM
I'm not sh*tting on my team. OU is a good team this year. The coaches have accomplished more than I thought they could given the injuries.

Oh look, it only took this great fan 100 posts to say something positive about his team. Hey, at least you showed up after your doom and gloom predictions of losing to KSU and OSU didn't come to fruition. It seems some of the other angry "get off my lawn" guys haven't had internet access since Saturday.

If we actually beat Bama, your damn head's going to explode.

badger
12/9/2013, 10:03 AM
If they keep this poll going next year, it's going to be high scrutinized who the top 4 are

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 10:06 AM

Are you ALWAYS this dense? At least on THAT day they were the better team. as We were the best team Sat. sheessh

Jacie
12/9/2013, 10:07 AM
Gundy's ballot was not that bad, he had his own team 10th to OU 12th.

If you want to see a screwy ballot, go read the article about how Bielema voted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bret-bielema-louisville-sixth-ohio-state-12th-coaches-194755660--ncaaf.html

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 01:16 PM
Gundy's ballot was not that bad, he had his own team 10th to OU 12th.

THIS is the point of the thread...OU folks are pissed that gundy voted osu ahead of OU by 2 frickin spots...the poll is for the FINAL OVERALL RANKING. Yes, OU was better THAT day...I agree with the dude who said THIS yr's osu team vs OU's team...I'd say 6/10 at best for either team. The 9/10 for the last 10 yrs is NOT the argument. Stoops, I believe, had more separation between the 2 which I would disagree with.

but carry on~

BOOMER SOONER!!

badger
12/9/2013, 01:18 PM
Front page of okstate.com:

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okst/graphics/bowl13/cotton-splash.png

haha cotton

jkjsooner
12/9/2013, 01:25 PM

We did not play a one game season. Gundy thinks his team is worthy of a higher ranking and considering we both have the same record that is fine with me. Afterall, Bob Stoops voted OU above Texas.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 01:47 PM
So from what I gather from reading this thread,,,,,,OU kinda sucks at football. We can't beat OSU, we got lucky against them. And,,,no point in thinking we can beat Bama because they are superior and we are inferior and we can't handle them. SEC SEC SEC!!! I think we put a pop knot on Bama

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 01:50 PM
So from what I gather from reading this thread,,,,,,OU kinda sucks at football. We can't beat OSU, we got lucky against them. And,,,no point in thinking we can beat Bama because they are superior and we are inferior and we can't handle them. SEC SEC SEC!!! I think we put a pop knot on Bama

Now you just aint Playing along and wuth that Pop Knot comment yer jes makin shat up.

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 01:52 PM
As far as Gumby voting the Ewes higher IDGAS He can do it again Next year after we Beat his azz, in Norman.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 01:54 PM

wow...ya need comprehension...umm, I didn't see ANY of those. One guy said ONCE 'bama was going to beat OU.

funny funny...

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 01:55 PM
wow...ya need comprehension...umm, I didn't see ANY of those. One guy said ONCE 'bama was going to beat OU.

funny funny...

I dont think he meant JUST in this thread Jeep. Theres been a lot of Posts sayin it.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 01:57 PM
I dont think he meant JUST in this thread Jeep. Theres been a lot of Posts sayin it.

ah...guess since he said this thread...

no biggie..it's all good~

olevetonahill
12/9/2013, 02:08 PM
ah...guess since he said this thread...

no biggie..it's all good~

Hell He may have. I still DGAS I think we Win against Bammer and I DGAS who Gumby votes for WE were the best team Satuday. thats all that Matters to me.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 02:13 PM
lol...yup..good ol Sooner Magic...haven't seen it for awhile..it was good.

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 02:13 PM
Yep, ima dum***. Wrong one. Welp,,anyway,,,Gundy,,,needs more hair gel.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 02:15 PM
Yep, ima dum***. Wrong one. Welp,,anyway,,,Gundy,,,needs more hair gel.

lol nice one...

I apologize for my comment...just saw the thread going a different route...because I honestly thought the voting wasn't that far off...I should have just ask you to clarify~

okiewaker
12/9/2013, 02:25 PM
lol nice one...

I apologize for my comment...just saw the thread going a different route...because I honestly thought the voting wasn't that far off...I should have just ask you to clarify~

Apology not accepted. I deserved that pop knot.

Judge Smails
12/9/2013, 02:34 PM
Front page of okstate.com:

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okst/graphics/bowl13/cotton-splash.png

"......at one of the most prestigious bowlgames in all of college football!"

Should say:

"......at one of the most prestigious bowlgames in all of the Dallas metroplex!"

SoonerBorn
12/9/2013, 09:42 PM
Are coaches given any directions on how to cast their vote? What are the best teams right now? What are the best teams this season?

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 09:45 PM
We did not play a one game season. Gundy thinks his team is worthy of a higher ranking and considering we both have the same record that is fine with me. Afterall, Bob Stoops voted OU above Texas.

I really don't have a problem with Gundy's ranking, but that's because he's the OSU head coach (and I would think, after a close game, he should rank his team higher). My point was more about the logic being used.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 09:48 PM
Are coaches given any directions on how to cast their vote? What are the best teams right now? What are the best teams this season?

Most of them weren't even filling out their own ballots a few years ago. Then it became public that a lot of coaches were letting staff underlings fill them out, and that changed. I don't think they are given any direction, but I imagine they don't spend a lot of time on them. It's probably pretty low on their priority list.

Piware
12/10/2013, 02:32 AM
I could care less at this point in the season. Gundy can vote anyway he wants but he got his a$$ kicked yet again and that is good enough for me. He does, after all, have to cover his own backside and it looks like his boyish charm is wearing thin in the Stool.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2013, 03:49 AM
Most of them weren't even filling out their own ballots a few years ago. Then it became public that a lot of coaches were letting staff underlings fill them out, and that changed. I don't think they are given any direction, but I imagine they don't spend a lot of time on them. It's probably pretty low on their priority list.

If the final ranking is meant to be representative of a team's body of work for the entire season then, no, I don't have an issue with his ranking either. I think it's a fair argument to say that OSU, overall, is a better team this season than OU. Of course, the inverse is also a fair argument -- point being, there is no clear answer. In fact, he didn't even rank his team above us and they kicked our ***.

olevetonahill
12/10/2013, 03:53 AM
So Gumby Flipped Bob the Bird? Big deal He still Bobs Bitch just a Tad defiant

Sooners78
12/10/2013, 10:24 AM
I also don't have a problem with it...yes OU won, with 20 points being SP teams. Yes, a win is a win. We got hammered by both ut and bum who they beat...yes we beat wv..barely at home, they lost on the road.

It is what it is...we won but who cares..it's not like he ranked his team #2 and OU #25..10/12 is close enough. Like everyone said, OU won...BOOMER!

yup, if the season is taken as a whole, OSU had the better team. Teams had the same records, so you must look at common opponents and overall performance. Their season performance was better. Texas shouldn't be ranked ahead of OU just because they beat us head to head and have the same conference record. I don't have a problem with the way Gundy voted.

OTOH, Gundy's dooshiness, I have a big problem with that. The lobbying for calls that are obvious, the donning of shades when it's cloudy, etc....

Soonerwake
12/10/2013, 10:47 AM
I guess I come from a different perspective. When 2 teams (not three) have the same record and played each other, other information really makes no difference in my opinion. If there are 3 teams tied, then other information has to be taken into account. But 2 teams, it's really pretty simple. Sure, OSU has looked better this season. Sure, they outgained us and we scored mainly off ST and D. Sure, they beat the 2 teams we lost to. But, none of that matters. OU beat OSU on their home field and finished with the same overall and conference record. Period.. There is no logical reason that OSU would be ranked ahead of OU other than bias and subjectivity.

picasso
12/10/2013, 10:51 AM
We beat them at home at the top of their game with it all on the line for the Pokes.
I completely disagree oSu had a better season than OU.
By what standards? Another ho hum winning season for us, yes.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/10/2013, 10:52 AM
The tie-breaker is decided by colors. Oklahoma is Crimson & Cream and both OSU and Texas are orange. Freaking ugly and nasty orange. They deserve to be placed below OU on that factor alone. And that's not even getting into their immense level of suckitude.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/10/2013, 10:53 AM
We beat them at home at the top of their game with it all on the line for the Pokes.
I completely disagree oSu had a better season than OU.
By what standards? Another ho hum winning season for us, yes.

OU also actually beat a competent foe in the non-conference slate in Notre Dame and on the road no less. A Notre Dame team that beat both Arizona St. and Michigan St. and gave Stanford one heck of a game on the road.

PrideMom
12/10/2013, 11:19 AM
The reason OSU was ranked so high in the Big XII this year was their home game schedule, plus the number of seniors in their team. Let's see how they look in 2014, having to go to OU and Baylor.....

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2013, 11:21 AM
The tie-breaker is decided by colors. Oklahoma is Crimson & Cream and both OSU and Texas are orange. Freaking ugly and nasty orange. They deserve to be placed below OU on that factor alone. And that's not even getting into their immense level of suckitude.

lol...that's funny

SoonerBorn
12/10/2013, 05:08 PM
Absent clear instructions on the criteria I should use to determine the rankings, I think I'd have to look at both how the team has done all season and how they are doing now. I don't think a team who lost every game until the last one, when they blew out the #1 team in the country on their home turf, deserves to jump up to #1. Likewise, the team that's been blowing everyone out all season but has an embarrassing season ending home loss to a Division II team doesn't get to be #1 (or #2, at least in my book). I'm not sure how to split it between the two, but I think they're both important.

I can't imagine, though, that I could rank a team that just beat me at home, who has the same record I do, lower than me. But, whatevs. There were several coaches with odd ballots.

rock on sooner
12/10/2013, 05:14 PM
The reason OSU was ranked so high in the Big XII this year was their home game schedule, plus the number of seniors in their team. Let's see how they look in 2014, having to go to OU and Baylor.....

Excellent point....how many seniors do the Pokes have this year? Doesn't
Baylor have a bunch, too?

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2013, 05:18 PM
osu...supposedly 27 with 18 on the 2 deep

rock on sooner
12/10/2013, 05:22 PM
I just a quick count 21 seniors at Okie St and 23 at Baylor...course
my eyesight and small type have issues...:wink:

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2013, 05:23 PM
yeah I was going with what they said sat on tv...course those guys are wrong a lot...(they had osu winning...lol)

rock on sooner
12/10/2013, 05:26 PM
yeah I was going with what they said sat on tv...course those guys are wrong a lot...(they had osu winning...lol)

I thought I heard them say 27 also..but my counting on the small type
rosters is suspect, too.

SoonerKnight
12/10/2013, 09:48 PM
So Gumby Flipped Bob the Bird? Big deal He still Bobs Bitch just a Tad defiant

A tad defiant? LOL! He is just mad he ain't worth enough to even tie Stoop's shoe!!!