PDA

View Full Version : OU 81 George Mason 66 (Men)

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 05:00 PM
Our boys improve to 8-1. While this wasn't an elite opponent, going to DC and playing George Mason in their house can be a tough challenge. Ryan Spanger had his best game of the early season, finishing with 13 points and 13 boards. Jordan Woodard continues to impress, and could be the best player on the team by season's end (that's a big expectation, but I think he's that good). Woodard finished with 15 points. However, the guy that is really showing up this year is Cam Clark, and he had a great game with 22 points and 10 rebounds off the bench.

This team is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, and that will go a long way toward success in the conference and postseason. I think we're past the "are we going to make the tournament" kind of team, and now to the "can we get a good seed" type of squad.

Next up: Tulsa (2-6) on Dec. 14

Soonerjeepman
12/8/2013, 10:15 PM
awesome...GF taped it..watching it Tues night. Although I'd beg to differ on Spangler...he had 20 pts and 13 boards I believe the other night.

Yes CC is showing big time improvement. Woodard is doing well. I like our guards...get our bigs in next yr and should be fun. The team is doing great right now...

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 10:18 PM
awesome...GF taped it..watching it Tues night. Although I'd beg to differ on Spangler...he had 20 pts and 13 boards I believe the other night.

Yes CC is showing big time improvement. Woodard is doing well. I like our guards...get our bigs in next yr and should be fun. The team is doing great right now...

Spanger has had games with better point/rebound numbers, but I thought this was his most complete game this season. In any event, I really like what he brings, and it helps make up for the lack of size elsewhere.

Boomer.....
12/9/2013, 09:30 AM
This team is really becoming a solid team. It's very exciting to watch.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2013, 12:58 PM
Spanger has had games with better point/rebound numbers, but I thought this was his most complete game this season. In any event, I really like what he brings, and it helps make up for the lack of size elsewhere.

ah...ok. I didn't get a chance to watch it. Will Tuesday.

Seems this team is very blue collar-ish...don't have those "stars" but really solid players that PLAY TOGETHER...which is huge.

birddog
12/9/2013, 01:34 PM
Surprisingly easy win. Outrebounded the hell out of em. Hoping we can stay injury free heading into conference play. Couldn't ask for a better start to the season.

badger
12/9/2013, 01:42 PM
The AP poll just got released today --- the Sooners got their first vote of the season! Bout time, the only loss they had was to former #1 Michigan State

Temujin
12/9/2013, 03:54 PM
ah...ok. I didn't get a chance to watch it. Will Tuesday.

Seems this team is very blue collar-ish...don't have those "stars" but really solid players that PLAY TOGETHER...which is huge.

I actually wouldn't use blue-collar to describe this team - maybe scrappy is a better word? To me, blue collar implies heavy inside presence, strong rebounding, low scoring, heavy emphasis on half-court and keeping the game close - at least that's how I perceive "blue collar". This team plays fast and loose, likes to get up and down the court and take open shots. They dribble-drive and kick, pass a lot, and do a lot of moving around on offense. They also pick up full court frequently, and trap on defense.

It's a very different type of game than we were used to with Calvin Simpson's squads. Those were blue collar teams. This team I would call scrappy. But we also have a couple of legitimate "create your own shot" guys in Cam Clark and Buddy Hield. Now, Spangler fits the blue-collar moniker, but beyond that, the word just doesn't seem to fit, IMO.

We're a little sloppy and out of control at times...probably because we're pushing the ball so much...but I like watching this team play. It's fun.

Boomer.....
12/9/2013, 04:23 PM
The AP poll just got released today --- the Sooners got their first vote of the season! Bout time, the only loss they had was to former #1 Michigan State

Surprised that we are just now receiving votes.

badger
12/9/2013, 04:40 PM

No mention in the USA Today poll. I don't mind living under the radar a bit. I don't think we're going to win the Big 12, but I certainly don't expect us to miss the postseason, either

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 04:40 PM

Let's keep it that way. I'd rather have them playing hungry with something to prove than start believing their own press when they get into the rankings.

8timechamps
12/9/2013, 05:47 PM
I actually wouldn't use blue-collar to describe this team - maybe scrappy is a better word? To me, blue collar implies heavy inside presence, strong rebounding, low scoring, heavy emphasis on half-court and keeping the game close - at least that's how I perceive "blue collar". This team plays fast and loose, likes to get up and down the court and take open shots. They dribble-drive and kick, pass a lot, and do a lot of moving around on offense. They also pick up full court frequently, and trap on defense.

It's a very different type of game than we were used to with Calvin Simpson's squads. Those were blue collar teams. This team I would call scrappy. But we also have a couple of legitimate "create your own shot" guys in Cam Clark and Buddy Hield. Now, Spangler fits the blue-collar moniker, but beyond that, the word just doesn't seem to fit, IMO.

We're a little sloppy and out of control at times...probably because we're pushing the ball so much...but I like watching this team play. It's fun.

Agree with all of this. There is an element of "out of control" sometimes (especially on defense), but I think it's all because of the high energy this team plays with each game.

Just love watching this team.

Now, if we could get more people to the LNC to support them!

birddog
12/9/2013, 09:09 PM
I stopped worrying about the polls. No, it wasn't because we aren't ever in them but mainly due to the formula the tourney committee uses. If we get 20+wins and finish at or above .500 in conference play we typically get in. The polls are so different from week to week it just doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

badger
12/10/2013, 09:27 AM
I stopped worrying about the polls. No, it wasn't because we aren't ever in them but mainly due to the formula the tourney committee uses. If we get 20+wins and finish at or above .500 in conference play we typically get in. The polls are so different from week to week it just doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

How many at-larges are there now? 36 for men, 32 for women?

They should really consider expanding the polls to the 30 or even 40-range so that there's a better indication of who will make the tournament with or without a conference championship.

birddog
12/10/2013, 10:49 AM
Look at what Arizona's coach said about being number 1, in December. He seems to think it's important now, no matter what happens at the end of the season. I thought he was joking

birddog
12/10/2013, 10:57 AM
Look at what Arizona's coach said about being number 1, in December. He seems to think it's important now, no matter what happens at the end of the season. I thought he was joking

Sean Miller:" there's tremendous satisfaction, no question, embracing the fact were #1is something I'm doing, our staff is doing and really our team is doing. It's an honor a lot of teams would love to have. It's something where no matter what happens the rest of the season, at some point we were ranked no 1 in the country."

tycat947
12/10/2013, 02:16 PM
Good win against a decent team basically on their home court. Nice to be prepared and play that way on the road.